Author Topic: Helmets  (Read 10637 times)

55CM1

• Bulleteer
  • Barcelona
on: October 28, 2022, 10:19:55 pm
I'm going to change my helmet for this one, what do you think?
BMW 100 rs - K75 Metropolitan - Honda Pan European 1100 - Yamaha 250 sr - Scooters Vespa 150 - Vespa 200 - Aprilia Leonardo 150 -Honda @ 150 -  Yamaha T Max 500 -

hammer

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2022, 10:33:28 pm
 I wouldn't pay over $250.00 for a helmet, but that one looks ok.

dav

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 10:39:10 pm
Great choice, love the retro style helmet's. Ive got a Bell Bullitt, its soooo comfy & the lightest lid ive ever owned.

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 10:46:12 pm
We have a saying over here, If you have a £5.00 head buy a £5.00 helmet.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2022, 10:51:45 pm
We have a saying over here, If you have a £5.00 head buy a £5.00 helmet.

There definitely comes a point where you're paying for minor increases in comfort, not major increases in safety, though.

That point is well before $200.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2022, 11:39:14 pm
Hard to go wrong with a Shoei.
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

Simms

• In the past
  • Scooter
  • It's not the destination, It's the journey
Reply #6 on: October 29, 2022, 12:05:44 am
Nice looking lid, the wearing will be the telling. If you can find somewhere to "try it before you buy it" will help your decision.

1977 Honda CB 200 "in go faster Green"
1981 Honda CB 550 FourK
1987 Kawasaki Z550 B
1989 Honda CB 550 Fourk
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Mk 2

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2022, 06:35:52 am
There definitely comes a point where you're paying for minor increases in comfort, not major increases in safety, though.

That point is well before $200.
Wow, all those professional racers have been suckered into paying 600 dollars for a piece of foam.
There was me thinking it was for a safer product.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #8 on: October 29, 2022, 08:12:14 am
Wow, all those professional racers have been suckered into paying 600 dollars for a piece of foam.
I doubt if professional racers pay for their own helmets.
All helmets here in the UK have to pass certain standards before they can be legally sold, so if they have passed those tests, then they should be safe enough.
I could never afford £600 for a helmet - does this mean I have to stop riding?

Frank

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #9 on: October 29, 2022, 08:15:12 am
Sharp ( not the Sharp helmet manufacturers) are motorcycle helmet testers and their web site rates helmets according to a number of safety tests destructive testing etc.While the expensive helmets like Arai and Shoei are normally rated highly,often the "cheaper helmets" come out ahead of them.I remember Caberg helmets being a higher rated cheaper helmet a while back.
Freedom.

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Reply #10 on: October 29, 2022, 09:29:50 am

Race helmets have different requirements. Ineffective argument.

Tuh

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: October 29, 2022, 10:40:01 am
I have this helmet (the Matt Black version) and really like it. The only thing i encoutered is that there are only very minor indents for speakers for communicatie sets. Luckily my set fitted between my ears and the helmet but its not a very roomy fit

zundapp

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: October 29, 2022, 11:56:57 am
Don't buy a helmet without trying it on first!

Some helmets are a good fit for 'round' heads, some fit better on 'oval' heads.   If your head is the wrong shape for the helmet, you'll never be comfortable wearing it, and also noise can become an issue.

There's also the sizing issue.   All my helmets up to now have been 'medium'.   The helmet I purchased last month had to be an 'XL'.   And it's still a touch tighter than my older 'M' helmets.   So again - it's VERY important to try the helmet on before purchase!
Can he fix it - no, it's fucked!

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #13 on: October 29, 2022, 12:32:07 pm
Another thing to consider is choosing a brand of helmet which offers a variety of "sizing pads". You still need to buy the right size helmet but a choice of sizing pads can make it perfect.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 29, 2022, 12:58:05 pm
Race helmets have different requirements. Ineffective argument.
Motorcycle helmets have to meet a minium safety standard to be used on the road, lower cost helmet manufacturers will work to those standards, no more no less. High end manufacturers will excede these standards because they have the experience and R&D facilities make the safest helmets possible.
Some of the extra cost goes into the linings and ventilation but this comfort and fresh air is still part of the safety to a rider.
Any Arai crash helmet you see being used in car or bike racing can be bought off the shelf at an Arai stockist. There are no different standards between road and track only the best they can make. Riding on the road is no less a danger than the track.
If you drop your Arai helmet, you can send it back to them to be X-rayed to see if it still safe.
If you wear your helmet every day the linings can wear out, at the higher end of the market spares are available, spare visors and pinlock as well, the list goes on, that is why they are expensive.

If somebody cannot afford, or does not want to spend that amount of money, that is a different matter,
A rider should always buy the best they can afford.
No, I don't have an Arai helmet, my choice.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Reply #15 on: October 29, 2022, 02:28:16 pm
Motorcycle helmets have to meet a minium safety standard to be used on the road, lower cost helmet manufacturers will work to those standards, no more no less. High end manufacturers will excede these standards because they have the experience and R&D facilities make the safest helmets possible.
Some of the extra cost goes into the linings and ventilation but this comfort and fresh air is still part of the safety to a rider.
Any Arai crash helmet you see being used in car or bike racing can be bought off the shelf at an Arai stockist. There are no different standards between road and track only the best they can make. Riding on the road is no less a danger than the track.
If you drop your Arai helmet, you can send it back to them to be X-rayed to see if it still safe.
If you wear your helmet every day the linings can wear out, at the higher end of the market spares are available, spare visors and pinlock as well, the list goes on, that is why they are expensive.

If somebody cannot afford, or does not want to spend that amount of money, that is a different matter,

K. Nice rant but I notice that you completely backed off your claim that a more expensive helmet is safer and accepted my stance that you're paying for comfort and convenience.

Glad we agree.

greentrumpet

• Bulleteer
  • UK, 2019 Interceptor
Reply #16 on: October 29, 2022, 02:47:14 pm
I'd never buy a lid without trying it for comfort and size. Sadly even then it's possible to buy a helmet that seems to fit well in the shop only to give you a headache after 80 miles (Roof in my case). I'm lucky that there's a sportsbikeshop near me and the staff took over an hour sorting lids for the wife and me. Some manufacturers only make one or two shell sizes and use more padding which could be less safe in an accident. The experience of others may suggest likely candidates to try but fit is very personal.

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: October 29, 2022, 03:31:58 pm
K. Nice rant but I notice that you completely backed off your claim that a more expensive helmet is safer and accepted my stance that you're paying for comfort and convenience.

Glad we agree.

I don't know where you get the idea that it is a rant, it is just some imformation for everyone just in case anyone decided to buying a crash helmet based on your criteria.
If you did not understand it then I will say it cleary.
For your 'That point is well before $200.' pricing you will not buy a helmet that meets the safety standards that the high end helmets are built to.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

dwhitehorne

• Scooter
  • 2022 Interceptor
Reply #18 on: October 29, 2022, 03:32:25 pm
Don't buy a helmet without trying it on first

I learned this lesson a few months ago.  Had a Bell large helmet for years.  Saw a LS2 online that was listed as open box for a third of the price.  Online reviews said they ran small to size so I ordered a XL.  It was way to small so I ended up having to order a 2XL liner to get it to fit.  So much for the open box savings.  David

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: October 29, 2022, 03:46:08 pm
Safety rating assure you a helmet will meet certain safety standards. A helmet marked ECE 22.05 that costs $200 is as safe as a $800 helmet with same ECE 22.05 (there are at least 4 different standards, some better than others)
 They will differ in fit, comfort, noise reduction, wind resistance, features and style.
 How much those things are worth are, of course, a personal choice.

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: October 29, 2022, 03:57:38 pm
Hard to go wrong with a Shoei.

I'd second that and add Arai.
The road to redemption is paved by dried bodily fluids.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #21 on: October 29, 2022, 04:36:20 pm
Snell Foundation
https://smf.org/
Don't try to read it all in one sitting.
And while you are bargain hunting, try to avoid the counterfeit helmets.
https://www.webbikeworld.com/a-look-at-dangerous-counterfeit-motorcycle-helmets/
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

hammer

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: October 29, 2022, 07:10:30 pm
 Miss my old Buco helmet.

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Reply #23 on: October 29, 2022, 09:42:00 pm
I don't know where you get the idea that it is a rant, it is just some imformation for everyone just in case anyone decided to buying a crash helmet based on your criteria.
If you did not understand it then I will say it cleary.
For your 'That point is well before $200.' pricing you will not buy a helmet that meets the safety standards that the high end helmets are built to.

Plenty of sub $200 with an ECE rating.

BRX39.5

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: October 29, 2022, 09:50:55 pm
I’ve had 2 Shoei helmets. First was a shoei interceptor(yea!)then later I had a gt air. Both marvellous helmets and unfortunately I crash tested them both 🤦🏼‍♂️
Both helmets did their job well; both bikes written off, both times ended up in hospital.
So I now consider them a jinx and have gone back to Arai (irrational I know, had lots of other makes that didn’t involve hospital though!)
They’re comfy, well built and importantly, safe.
The one you like looks great; As others have said make sure you try one first.

BRX39.5

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: October 29, 2022, 09:56:16 pm
Oops!

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: October 29, 2022, 10:22:40 pm
Plenty of sub $200 with an ECE rating.
Perhaps you could give me a model of your choice so we can compare the construction with a top end lid.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: October 29, 2022, 10:33:35 pm

That means what? If only life was this simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76yu124i3Bo&ab_channel=FortNine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BUyp3HX8cY&ab_channel=FortNine

Phil

Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

fireypete

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: October 29, 2022, 11:58:58 pm
a couple of years ago I got my first polycarbonate type helmet. A Nolan N89. Great reviews and a very safe helmet I’m sure. On sale it wasn’t much over half the price of a Shoei. If I had my time again I would spend the extra. A helmet is a long term purchase, after a few years the price is forgotten. The Nolan isn’t is as safe for me because it just doesn’t bed in as well as a shoei. Time spent thinking about a helmet that is not comfortable, and is more noisy and the vents are not as good and fastening system is not as good as standard d rings is time not concentrating.   Fort nine has a good helmet vid regarding standards. Some of the tests are quite useless. Yes you pay a premium for certain helmet names, but you get a more polished product.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: October 30, 2022, 12:43:07 am
a couple of years ago I got my first polycarbonate type helmet. A Nolan N89. Great reviews and a very safe helmet I’m sure. On sale it wasn’t much over half the price of a Shoei. If I had my time again I would spend the extra. A helmet is a long term purchase, after a few years the price is forgotten. The Nolan isn’t is as safe for me because it just doesn’t bed in as well as a shoei. Time spent thinking about a helmet that is not comfortable, and is more noisy and the vents are not as good and fastening system is not as good as standard d rings is time not concentrating.   Fort nine has a good helmet vid regarding standards. Some of the tests are quite useless. Yes you pay a premium for certain helmet names, but you get a more polished product.

Maybe but then as he's shown so are a myriad of the official tests. Personally I think he's one of the few credible sources on the internet and with a degree in Physics he's certainly qualified to at least understand the details in subjects like helmet testing.
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #30 on: October 30, 2022, 12:59:28 am
AGV or Schuberth fit me best.

Shifty1969

• Shifty
  • Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: October 30, 2022, 01:00:32 am
If I sold helmets and I wanted to sell a lot of expensive ones, I would probably give some to popular racing teams, or sponsor a team. That’s called marketing. Buy the helmet that makes you the most comfortable and confident while you are riding, that’s safety. I have never spent more than $200 on a helmet, and I’ve tested a few, all passed so far, guess I got a $200 head!
Just cause you ain’t paranoid,don’t mean they ain’t out to get you!

EJJKC

• Grease Monkey
Reply #32 on: October 30, 2022, 02:32:16 am
Maybe but then as he's shown so are a myriad of the official tests. Personally I think he's one of the few credible sources on the internet and with a degree in Physics he's certainly qualified to at least understand the details in subjects like helmet testing.

There is also 2 very good videos by Bennett bike social on YouTube where they cut the helmets open and compare construction and show you what you get for your money…. I wish though, that they showed some Chinese knockoffs without a rating to compare construction.

I use an ILM racing modular helmet because I’m in my helmet for 15 hours a day and it’s rather comfortable. For the $109 US I paid for it though I’ll stick with my bell MX9 for dirt squidding and my bell qualifier for trackdays
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 4.7l qd2
2022 RE Interceptor 650
2004 Goldwing
1997 XR250r 310cc big bore kit, custom ground cam. Big valve kit. Torque monster

All about anything fast enough to do something stupid with.

Happiness is not around the corner, happiness is the corner

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: October 30, 2022, 03:03:50 am
There is also 2 very good videos by Bennett bike social on YouTube where they cut the helmets open and compare construction and show you what you get for your money…. I wish though, that they showed some Chinese knockoffs without a rating to compare construction.

I use an ILM racing modular helmet because I’m in my helmet for 15 hours a day and it’s rather comfortable. For the $109 US I paid for it though I’ll stick with my bell MX9 for dirt squidding and my bell qualifier for trackdays

15 hours a day?  That is a whole lot of helmet time!

EJJKC

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: October 30, 2022, 03:10:09 am
15 hours a day?  That is a whole lot of helmet time!

« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 03:12:48 am by EJJKC »
2022 RE Interceptor 650
2004 Goldwing
1997 XR250r 310cc big bore kit, custom ground cam. Big valve kit. Torque monster

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: October 30, 2022, 08:41:20 am
I wouldn't pay over $250.00 for a helmet, but that one looks ok.

I wouldn’t pay under $500
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: October 30, 2022, 08:42:26 am

Shoei is a great brand and make fantastic helmets. All of retro style helmets are afflicted with high noise levels so bear that in mind. You are better off with a modern premium helmet
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: October 30, 2022, 08:46:12 am
That means what? If only life was this simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76yu124i3Bo&ab_channel=FortNine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BUyp3HX8cY&ab_channel=FortNine

Phil

You automatically lose any argument if your evidence is fortnine. Great entertainment but that is all it is.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 08:48:21 am by whippers »
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: October 30, 2022, 08:49:22 am
Don’t forget helmets don’t last all that long, so they need to be replaced. I do 7 years
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

dav

• Grease Monkey
Reply #39 on: October 30, 2022, 10:15:16 am
All of retro style helmets are afflicted with high noise levels so bear that in mind.
I beg to differ, my Bell Bullitt is one of the quietest lids ive own, but thank you for your opinion.   

55CM1

• Bulleteer
  • Barcelona
Reply #40 on: October 30, 2022, 10:59:39 am
[/
This is the same, without decoration, it costs €150 less,
BMW 100 rs - K75 Metropolitan - Honda Pan European 1100 - Yamaha 250 sr - Scooters Vespa 150 - Vespa 200 - Aprilia Leonardo 150 -Honda @ 150 -  Yamaha T Max 500 -

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #41 on: October 30, 2022, 11:44:20 am
Sharp ( not the Shark helmet manufacturers) are motorcycle helmet testers and their web site rates helmets according to a number of safety tests ,destructive testing etc.While the expensive helmets like Arai and Shoei are normally rated highly,often the "cheaper helmets" come out ahead of them.I remember Caberg helmets being a higher rated cheaper helmet a while back.
Edit.     That should be Shark helmet manufacturers.
Freedom.

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #42 on: October 30, 2022, 01:16:35 pm
I've found that quality ear plugs have made. a huge difference in my riding comfort whether I wear a $200 lid or something $500 and up. 

I gave up on the cheap foam plugs and have been quite satisfied with these from Alpine.  As always, YMMV.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09RWXDG7V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: October 30, 2022, 02:37:55 pm

Looks like you are sitting on a truck chassis. What is it you do that you wear a helmet for 15 hours a day?  Summers must be brutal!

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: October 30, 2022, 03:38:54 pm
my biggest requirement for a helmet (besides safety) is DETENT SETTINGS for the windshield. i cant deal with helmets with shitty shields that dont hold in place at certain angles at speed.

unfortunately most retro helmets dont have these and have to resort to those stupid bolt-on sides like this shoei glamster. it looks nice but will suck to ride in.

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #45 on: October 30, 2022, 04:21:14 pm
I've found that quality ear plugs have made. a huge difference in my riding comfort whether I wear a $200 lid or something $500 and up. 

I gave up on the cheap foam plugs and have been quite satisfied with these from Alpine.  As always, YMMV.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09RWXDG7V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This.

I read a report recently of a study that found that helmets with a huge price premium and claiming superior noise reduction only achieved a marginal improvement. 

I use Alpine buds too, plus a snood.

I am always struck at how many people fall for standard premium branding strategies across the board, simplistically equating price with quality, but it seems especially the case around motorcycles.

Most likely has to with taking the high moral ground on safety. 

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Reply #46 on: October 30, 2022, 05:33:55 pm
This.

I read a report recently of a study that found that helmets with a huge price premium and claiming superior noise reduction only achieved a marginal improvement. 

I use Alpine buds too, plus a snood.

I am always struck at how many people fall for standard premium branding strategies across the board, simplistically equating price with quality, but it seems especially the case around motorcycles.

Most likely has to with taking the high moral ground on safety.

Snobs gonna snob.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: October 30, 2022, 06:19:16 pm
This.

Keep in mind that db scale is logarithmic.
Reducing sound by 3 db (a seemingly ’marginal improvement’) cuts sound by half.

https://soundear.com/decibel-scale/

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: October 30, 2022, 06:42:45 pm
I beg to differ, my Bell Bullitt is one of the quietest lids ive own, but thank you for your opinion.

Your’s is an opinion, my view is based on evidence.

Here’s one but any review of the Bell Bullit says pretty much the same thing. Noisy.

https://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/bell-bullitt-retro-look-full-face-helmet-review/
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: October 30, 2022, 07:11:41 pm
Keep in mind that db scale is logarithmic.
Reducing sound by 3 db (a seemingly ’marginal improvement’) cuts sound by half.

https://soundear.com/decibel-scale/
The difference was expressed in percentages. Something like 5%, as I recall.

dav

• Grease Monkey
Reply #50 on: October 30, 2022, 10:01:16 pm
Your’s is an opinion, my view is based on evidence.

Hilarious, my opinon is based on fact, fact that i ride with said helmet AND dont find it that noisy. i dont need 'someone's' review. my review is that its on my head, but anyway carry on.

zundapp

• Bulleteer
Reply #51 on: October 30, 2022, 10:11:41 pm
The noise level of any specific helmet varies from person to person. it's mostly dependent on the internal shape of the helmet versus the shape of the individuals head.

Decibel ratings claimed by manufacturers are in ideal conditions with a perfectly fitting helmet.   Pure luck if you happen to find yourself with that lid!
Can he fix it - no, it's fucked!

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: October 30, 2022, 10:12:37 pm
Changing the subject , just slightly, I wonder how many of you don't wear helmets at all.

I have a friend at work, rarely wears a helmet, just wears a "beanie" when the weather is cold, and eschews any hearing protection. 

He says I'm a "sissy" (Stronger language redacted) and my reply is I'd rather be a living "sissy" with hearing than a dead "macho" dude, although, if you are dead, being deaf is somewhat of a moot point.

I also wear a proper riding jacket, while he feels well protected with a sleeveless denim vest festooned with biker patches.

I had to get that off my chest. I'm sure there will be dissenting opinions.

I'm known to have a somewhat sick and twisted sense of humor (humour? Who ,more?) but I take safety a bit more seriously.

https://i.imgur.com/dj7pidc.jpg[/img]]

dav

• Grease Monkey
Reply #53 on: October 30, 2022, 10:30:25 pm
In Australia it is by law that every motorcyclist has to wear a helmet of Aust standard. All other protective gear is optional.

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: October 30, 2022, 10:34:15 pm
In Australia it is by law that every motorcyclist has to wear a helmet of Aust standard. All other protective gear is optional.

Personally, I'm an anti-law contrarian. When I lived in Florida, helmets were the law, and I always wore a helmet. Here in Arizona, helmets are not the law and I always wear a helmet. That said, my personal feelings are that if someone wants to make bad decisions that don't necessarily harm anyone but themselves, I feel they should be free to be as stupid as they want to be.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: October 30, 2022, 10:46:17 pm
Personally, I'm an anti-law contrarian. When I lived in Florida, helmets were the law, and I always wore a helmet. Here in Arizona, helmets are not the law and I always wear a helmet. That said, my personal feelings are that if someone wants to make bad decisions that don't necessarily harm anyone but themselves, I feel they should be free to be as stupid as they want to be.

As a general principle the problem is when people make a stupid decision and survive but with massive hospital, rehab bills and lifetime disabilities the rest of us sensible taxpayers end up footing their bill for ongoing care and support. I believe in the freedom to make life choices based on accepting the personal and financial consequences of that decision. Some things are an arguable risk and some things aren't.

Phil

Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: October 30, 2022, 10:50:29 pm
As a general principle the problem is when people make a stupid decision and survive but with massive hospital, rehab bills and lifetime disabilities the rest of us sensible taxpayers end up footing their bill for ongoing care and support. I believe in the freedom to make life choices based on accepting the personal and financial consequences of that decision. Some things are an arguable risk and some things aren't.

Phil

I agree with your opinion referring to the taxpayer footing the bills. I wish there were a way to forfeit care if you injure yourself in complete disregard of safety protocols. 

I guess there is no perfect solution.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #57 on: October 30, 2022, 11:17:41 pm
I agree with your opinion referring to the taxpayer footing the bills. I wish there were a way to forfeit care if you injure yourself in complete disregard of safety protocols. 

It really isn't that complicated.
We have mandatory motorcycle insurance in most jurisdictions. If a rider does not want to wear a helmet AND doesn't want to loose their driving license _ they need to carry "Long Term Care" insurance. LTC insurance is available at market rates. Job done.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: October 30, 2022, 11:55:30 pm
Hilarious, my opinon is based on fact, fact that i ride with said helmet AND dont find it that noisy. i dont need 'someone's' review. my review is that its on my head, but anyway carry on.

You have some trouble with what a fact is.  You observing it isn’t too noisy for you is an anecdote not a fact.  For all we know your last helmet was much worse than a Bullit so to you it seems quiet. Or maybe you’ve been riding for years and don’t wear earplugs so are quite deaf.

If you’re happy with it, good for you.  I simply point for anyone reading the thread thinking about purchasing a helmet that your experience is not indicative of the evidence from multiple reviews and tests.
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: October 30, 2022, 11:56:46 pm
We have mandatory motorcycle insurance in most jurisdictions. If a rider does not want to wear a helmet AND doesn't want to loose their driving license _ they need to carry "Long Term Care" insurance. LTC insurance is available at market rates. Job done.

It’s been my experience that those who don’t wear a helmet are the ones least likely to have means or interest to take care of the consequences of their free choices
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: October 30, 2022, 11:56:52 pm

Its sounds like a sensible solution.  It makes perfect sense to the right side of my brain. The left side of my brain despises the huge amount of laws already on the books. There are just too many laws now.

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Reply #61 on: October 31, 2022, 12:05:41 am
JFC, this thread really drew all the grumpy old men out of the woodwork.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #62 on: October 31, 2022, 12:17:43 am
It’s been my experience that those who don’t wear a helmet are the ones least likely to have means or interest to take care of the consequences of their free choices

"If a rider does not want to wear a helmet AND doesn't want to loose their driving license _ they need to carry "Long Term Care" insurance. LTC "
A bit weird quoting myself....
The objective isn't to make the people you describe happy.
The objective is to lay to rest the notion that everyone has to wear a helmet to avoid all the lifetime comas that tax payers are said to be saddled with because of no insurance coverage.
_ I suppose I'm obligated to announce that I wear a helmet. I wore helmets before it was the law.
But keep in mind, I also wear high-end boots, as well. In fact the boots I use will surpass any future safety regulation for motorcycles. So will my jackets. I'm not so sure my gloves will pass. But my knee and shin guards will. You get the picture, huh ;)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #63 on: October 31, 2022, 12:18:59 am

That would be a slippery slope. It starts with motorbike helmets, then the stay at homers have the same rule applied to anything they don't think is safe, or a good idea. Goodbye skateboarding, skiing, hangliding, surfing, skydiving and all the other fun things.
I'm OK with no helmet laws and also with the public footing the bill for long term care. For every no helmet survivor, there's probably 10 who didn't make the cut, removing themselves from the gene pool and the community.

simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

fireypete

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: October 31, 2022, 06:45:10 am
Ahhh a simple question if a helmet looks good, and 5 pages later… yeah it looks good!
Anyway, I may start an oil thread and try to beat this here 5 pages!! Or relays, tyres, or brake calipers (boo hoo☹️).

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #65 on: October 31, 2022, 09:26:09 am
I think it looks good too. I'd wear it.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

55CM1

• Bulleteer
  • Barcelona
Reply #66 on: October 31, 2022, 09:39:31 am
Thank you all very much for your time, I just stopped by the store and ordered it, I'll send you photos when I have it, 👍

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: October 31, 2022, 10:53:16 am
Thank you all very much for your time, I just stopped by the store and ordered it, I'll send you photos when I have it, 👍
That's much too easy and simplistic.  Did you not have to have a big fight with your brain's left lobe first?

55CM1

• Bulleteer
  • Barcelona
Reply #68 on: October 31, 2022, 12:40:23 pm
Hello mate, of course I did.

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #69 on: October 31, 2022, 01:25:47 pm
Summer helmet,Hitchcocks sale 50 quid (pounds to our American friends) a couple of year ago.Great wee helmet.You don't have to pay big bucks.
Freedom.

EJJKC

• Grease Monkey
Reply #70 on: October 31, 2022, 01:55:57 pm
Looks like you are sitting on a truck chassis. What is it you do that you wear a helmet for 15 hours a day?  Summers must be brutal!

I’m a chassis jockey and work a 12hr shift. It’s 15~16 hours from when I leave home to when I return. Summers are brutal.
2022 RE Interceptor 650
2004 Goldwing

Wangster

• Scooter
  • I have too many hobbies
Reply #71 on: November 01, 2022, 01:31:05 am

Answering OP… I also have this helmet. Really love it. It’s not the quietest but I wear ear plugs regardless. It’s nice and lightweight and I like that it comes with pinlock. If you can get it at a good price, def recommend it.

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #72 on: November 01, 2022, 01:54:31 am
I’m a chassis jockey and work a 12hr shift.

Interesting vocation -what does that involve?

EJJKC

• Grease Monkey
Reply #73 on: November 01, 2022, 10:13:10 am
Interesting vocation -what does that involve?

I drive raw truck chassis from our receiving area to our parking lot and from parking lot to manufacturing area. We also have to troubleshoot no start conditions but any more than a jump start or an out of fuel or a blown ecm fuse we’re supposed to call in our on staff ford mechanic. Some chassis we have to PDI before we can park them.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 10:46:51 am by EJJKC »
2022 RE Interceptor 650
2004 Goldwing

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #74 on: November 01, 2022, 10:37:47 am
I drive raw truck chassis from our receiving area to our parking lot and from parking lot to manufacturing area. We also have to troubleshoot no start conditions but any more than a jump start or an out of fuel or a blown ecm fuse we’re supposed to call in our on staff ford mechanic. Some chassis we have to PDI before we can park them.

Wow, must be a big plant. Are you part of the QC process?

EJJKC

• Grease Monkey
Reply #75 on: November 01, 2022, 10:46:17 am
Wow, must be a big plant. Are you part of the QC process?

I am not and because I have a confidentiality agreement I’m not allowed to discuss the manufacture (which I know nothing about) and quality process…..
2022 RE Interceptor 650
2004 Goldwing

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #76 on: November 01, 2022, 01:43:47 pm
One of the (few) perks of being a MSF rider Coach is that Arai gives us a program letter, for one helmet per year at 50% off retail.

Arai is my Helmet of choice, even without the discount.

50% of,f they are still not cheap...but it puts them in the $350 to $450 range.....

Arai is arguably one of the best helmets you can buy for many reasons.

What got me over to Arai is the fit....they are one of the few who offer a "long oval" shaped helmet....which is the best fit for me.

Their design and construction is different and superior to most of the cheap type helmets.

Cookie

Island Rider

• Grease Monkey
Reply #77 on: November 01, 2022, 05:32:14 pm
When I went helmet shopping my minimum requirement was Snell rated and full-face.
I got an HJC I-10 helmet. It was a good thing there is a local shop with a lot of helmets, many of them were very uncomfortable for me. You really need to be able to try them on.
I really like the I-10 so far. In the USA Snell is a better/stricter rating system than DOT, there are many helmets for sale that meet DOT but not Snell, including those awful little skull caps that Harley riders love so they can "fight the man" and still bash their faces in when they crash  ::)

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #78 on: November 01, 2022, 06:39:28 pm
When I went helmet shopping my minimum requirement was Snell rated and full-face.
I got an HJC I-10 helmet. It was a good thing there is a local shop with a lot of helmets, many of them were very uncomfortable for me. You really need to be able to try them on.
I really like the I-10 so far. In the USA Snell is a better/stricter rating system than DOT, there are many helmets for sale that meet DOT but not Snell, including those awful little skull caps that Harley riders love so they can "fight the man" and still bash their faces in when they crash  ::)

I felt the same way but Snell as a rating system has had a lot of shine taken off of it over the last 20 years.  It is likely that Snell encourages too hard helmets that increase head trauma over non snell helmets in the kind of crashes that are most likely to occur.
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

EJJKC

• Grease Monkey
Reply #79 on: November 01, 2022, 07:45:05 pm

When I bought my ILM i bought it right off their website. They walked me through 4 different measurements via email and when it arrived the cheek pads were too tight. I washed them and wore them dry… fits just fine.
2022 RE Interceptor 650
2004 Goldwing

Island Rider

• Grease Monkey
Reply #80 on: November 01, 2022, 07:51:00 pm
I felt the same way but Snell as a rating system has had a lot of shine taken off of it over the last 20 years.  It is likely that Snell encourages too hard helmets that increase head trauma over non snell helmets in the kind of crashes that are most likely to occur.
Dang!
I would still buy it, it fit me better than anything else in the store.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #81 on: November 01, 2022, 07:57:11 pm
You raise a good point, whippers. Snell labs has changed their standards and testing methods as technologies have come along. Back in the dark ages (1973) there were vigorous debates between advocates for fiberglass and polycarb helmets. The poly helmets were more puncture proof but bounced. The fiberglass units cracked and had a shorter life span in sunlight. Like all shops I sold helmets as well as the motorcycles. At one point we sold Royal Helmets. They had two layered shells. Poly and fiberglass. The poly was the outermost layer. They tested well ahead of any others at that point. Sadly, we could barely sell any. They were expensive and heavy.
The price point of helmets still matter, as we can see in this thread. Beyond the few which blend in some carbon fiber with the standard glass fibers, helmet development has somewhat stalled. New designs are aimed at the linings and internal pads. More than just rider comfort the inside of a helmet protects against the sudden stop of the skull while the brain keeps moving. It seems that the more exciting developments these days is in American school league football. Baffled "consumable" gel pads are an example. In the mean time whear a snug helmet and try not to crash.

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: November 02, 2022, 09:56:08 am
I bought a second hand fb marketplace AGV K3 the day I bought my bike. It was cheap, heavy, noisy and I didn't vibe with the go fast graphics, but loved the convenience of the ratchet chin strap fastener. My mate has a clutch of K3s, but he's a brand whore/ Rossi groupie.

I wanted a retro, like the OP's, but after months of practical research, visiting shops, trying on every quality brand and style, I ended up with a Shoei NXR 2 Nocturne TC4. It's light, quiet, comfy, exceeds future safety standards, and it matches my BE colourway and taste in classical music... Lane filtering to Chopin with a 650 rumble is pure ecstacy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bw22wYLtwI

Anyway, +1 try before you buy

Ps, I miss the ratchet fasterner, though - anyone tried this?  https://www.amazon.com.au/Helmet-Release-Ratcheted-Stainless-Adapter/dp/B08PB89Q2P/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 10:16:55 am by Intybe »

lavrentyuk

• Bulleteer
Reply #83 on: November 02, 2022, 06:12:46 pm
Fit is first and foremost.

For me that is Shoei (very expensive) or Davida (also fairly expensive).

My choice is open face - dealt with many motorcycle accidents professionally and whilst my good looks are important my breathing and medulla oblongata are more so.  In a winter I do wear full face.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #84 on: November 02, 2022, 06:23:16 pm
I bought a second hand fb marketplace AGV K3 the day I bought my bike. It was cheap, heavy, noisy and I didn't vibe with the go fast graphics, but loved the convenience of the ratchet chin strap fastener. My mate has a clutch of K3s, but he's a brand whore/ Rossi groupie.

I wanted a retro, like the OP's, but after months of practical research, visiting shops, trying on every quality brand and style, I ended up with a Shoei NXR 2 Nocturne TC4. It's light, quiet, comfy, exceeds future safety standards, and it matches my BE colourway and taste in classical music... Lane filtering to Chopin with a 650 rumble is pure ecstacy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bw22wYLtwI

Anyway, +1 try before you buy

Ps, I miss the ratchet fasterner, though - anyone tried this?  https://www.amazon.com.au/Helmet-Release-Ratcheted-Stainless-Adapter/dp/B08PB89Q2P/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Fits my experience that unless you are totally hung up on what look you are trying to project (and remember we are riding around on a cheap Indian bike) you are much better off with a modern helmet from a premium maker.

As an aside you should never buy a second hand helmet.
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #85 on: November 02, 2022, 06:33:24 pm
 On the subject of helmets, I have been interested in the Schuberth C5 modular.
 Several reviewers claim a carbon fiber layer. Schuberths web site says nothing about carbon fiber but does talk about a ‘basalt layer’
 Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #86 on: November 02, 2022, 07:15:52 pm
 Several reviewers claim a carbon fiber layer. Schuberths web site says nothing about carbon fiber but does talk about a ‘basalt layer’
Short answer is mineral fiber.
"Basalt fiber is a material made from extremely fine fibers of basalt, which is composed of the minerals plagioclase, pyroxene, and olivine. It is similar to fiberglass, having better physicomechanical properties than fiberglass, but being significantly cheaper than carbon fiber. It is used as a fireproof textile in the aerospace and automotive industries and can also be used as a composite to produce products such as camera tripods."
You can find a lot more info here;
https://basaltreinforcedcomposites.com/facts-performance/

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #87 on: November 02, 2022, 09:21:19 pm
Intybe,  I tried that ratchet buckle you mentioned on a new K6 and found it added too much length to the strap.

It was a nicely made piece and may work well on some helmets, just not on my AGV.

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #88 on: November 03, 2022, 06:29:51 am
Intybe,  I tried that ratchet buckle you mentioned on a new K6 and found it added too much length to the strap.

It was a nicely made piece and may work well on some helmets, just not on my AGV.
Thanks Jack. I checked my Shoei and the strap is almost horizontal when fastened, so I think I'd have the same problem. Maybe it's designed for a half-face helmet or, as one amazon reviewer commented, negotiating big beards.

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #89 on: November 03, 2022, 08:11:21 am

In the UK there is an insurance company that runs 'Bennets Bike Social' they do reviews on all sorts biking related items, bikes, kit, ripoffs, safety etc. They are very well respected and unbiased (apart from being pro-British), here is their test, no mention of carbon.
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/helmets/schuberth-c5-flip-front-review

Schuberth do make a carbon helmet for car racing.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #90 on: November 03, 2022, 01:03:42 pm
In the UK there is an insurance company that runs 'Bennets Bike Social' they do reviews on all sorts biking related items, bikes, kit, ripoffs, safety etc. They are very well respected and unbiased (apart from being pro-British), here is their test, no mention of carbon.
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/helmets/schuberth-c5-flip-front-review

Schuberth do make a carbon helmet for car racing.
I found Schubert’s press release video for the launch of the C5 on YouTube. They state carbon fiber compressed with fiberglass.
 Yet the specs on their websites site for the C5 never mention carbon fiber.
 I’m guessing there is something going on with the technical definition of carbon fiber, like they use carbon fibers in a way that does not meet the normal definition.
 I may pose the question to them directly.
 I do like the helmets design, but have not yet found one locally for a test fit.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #91 on: November 03, 2022, 02:26:23 pm
I found Schubert’s press release video for the launch of the C5 on YouTube. They state carbon fiber compressed with fiberglass.
 Yet the specs on their websites site for the C5 never mention carbon fiber.
 I’m guessing there is something going on with the technical definition of carbon fiber, like they use carbon fibers in a way that does not meet the normal definition.
 I may pose the question to them directly.
 I do like the helmets design, but have not yet found one locally for a test fit.
It could be as simple as nobody told the video-marketing-release-team that the accounting-sanity-bottom-line-team had demanded a switch as the beginning of production grew near.

Spicyred

• Ice Queenslander (Australia)
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #92 on: November 03, 2022, 10:50:48 pm
The C5 was my first choice but I could not source one locally to test the “fit”.
Darned shame really as I liked the communications being built in.

I settled for the AGV equivalent which is my first flip face helmet.
Accordingly, it is noisier than my old AGV K2 and a K5 or K6 could be as quiet as the K2.
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

55CM1

• Bulleteer
  • Barcelona
Reply #93 on: November 30, 2022, 10:14:25 pm
Hello Good evening, I finally bought this, taking advantage of Black Friday

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #94 on: November 30, 2022, 10:17:26 pm
Love the stripes! Really beautiful helmet.

55CM1

• Bulleteer
  • Barcelona
Reply #95 on: November 30, 2022, 10:40:44 pm
Love the stripes! Really beautiful helmet.
❤️❤️❤️

Pitch

• Scooter
Reply #96 on: December 01, 2022, 12:10:00 am

Nice helmet! Goes well with the bakers express.

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #97 on: January 22, 2023, 03:18:47 am
picked up this helmet to go with my mr. clean!

Racer57

• Grease Monkey
Reply #98 on: January 22, 2023, 04:04:46 am
delete

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #99 on: January 22, 2023, 07:26:27 am
What helmet is that?
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #100 on: January 24, 2023, 09:15:53 pm
What helmet is that?

its an SMK retro helmet.
https://smkhelmets-us.com/product-category/full-face/retro/

apparently 'designed' in europe and made in india, just like our rides lol.

its both ECE and DOT rated AND came with a pinlock, which was surprising, considering the helmet was super cheap (i got it at a local shop for $100 canadian). i had to buy the chrome visor separately online though (it comes with a clear one).

just took it out for a ride in -5C weather (23 F) and didnt fog up at all. so that works!

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #101 on: January 24, 2023, 10:17:50 pm
its an SMK retro helmet.
https://smkhelmets-us.com/product-category/full-face/retro/

apparently 'designed' in europe and made in india, just like our rides lol.

its both ECE and DOT rated AND came with a pinlock, which was surprising, considering the helmet was super cheap (i got it at a local shop for $100 canadian). i had to buy the chrome visor separately online though (it comes with a clear one).

just took it out for a ride in -5C weather (23 F) and didnt fog up at all. so that works!
Pretty cool looking. Can’t really do all black helmets in Texas….

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #102 on: January 25, 2023, 12:32:12 am
ok SUPER weird but...
it looks like royal enfield uses the exact same helmets but just rebranded lol. i had no idea until now. oh well i guess im on brand!

https://store.royalenfield.com/en/ff-old-boy-rf1-matt-black-white-xl-600mm-matt-black-1600208931
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 12:34:39 am by iblastoff »

Racer57

• Grease Monkey
Reply #103 on: January 25, 2023, 03:52:46 am
In the US, there is two ratings. DOT and Snell. For a DOT rating, the manufacturer submits a helmet they select for testing. Once the one helmet has passed then the entire line is qualified for a DOT sticker. Full coverage DOT rated helmets can be purchased for less than $100 and up. Imho, they are perfect for keeping rain and bugs out of your eyes. For a Snell rating, Snell goes to a retailer and takes one off the shelf for extensive testing. All major US racing originations require a Snell rating or the European FIA rating.

Btw, I raced Sprint cars and Midgets for over 20 years.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #104 on: January 25, 2023, 03:53:40 am
ok SUPER weird but...
it looks like royal enfield uses the exact same helmets but just rebranded lol. i had no idea until now. oh well i guess im on brand!

https://store.royalenfield.com/en/ff-old-boy-rf1-matt-black-white-xl-600mm-matt-black-1600208931
I think you can legitimately put a Royal Enfield sticker on your helmet .

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #105 on: January 25, 2023, 05:01:01 am
In the US, there is two ratings. DOT and Snell. For a DOT rating, the manufacturer submits a helmet they select for testing. Once the one helmet has passed then the entire line is qualified for a DOT sticker. Full coverage DOT rated helmets can be purchased for less than $100 and up. Imho, they are perfect for keeping rain and bugs out of your eyes. For a Snell rating, Snell goes to a retailer and takes one off the shelf for extensive testing. All major US racing originations require a Snell rating or the European FIA rating.

No real need for a helmet then.

Phil
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #106 on: January 25, 2023, 05:58:56 am

Phil

Oh ouch  ;D ;D ;D

How about when it tips over and the car's riding along on your head?

Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #107 on: January 25, 2023, 06:01:31 am

snell rating is meaningless

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #108 on: January 25, 2023, 07:32:18 am
snell rating is meaningless

ECE/FIM kicks it's arse... you actually want to avoid a Snell rating, since the two are incompatible.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #109 on: January 25, 2023, 07:50:21 am
Oh ouch  ;D ;D ;D

How about when it tips over and the car's riding along on your head?

As I said, no need for a helmet. Nothing of value to protect in a speedway car driver. Maybe track protection for the next meeting when the riders go around I guess.

Phil
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #110 on: January 25, 2023, 09:37:05 am
Pretty cool looking. Can’t really do all black helmets in Texas….

Why not?

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #111 on: January 25, 2023, 12:30:37 pm
Why not?
Lots of sun and 100°+ temperatures

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #112 on: January 25, 2023, 01:13:02 pm
First let me say that I am a big fan of both Hoiho and FortNine. ;)
Below is a link to an article that I think is pretty fair handed and comprehensive about the standards and testing.

Helmet standards will become more meaningful when we standardize motorcycle crashes.
_ Race track crashes are barely comparable to what we experience on the street. Race tracks make huge efforts to provide padding around the whole environment, escape routes and enforce one-way traffic. Obviously, that is very different from where we ride. Our path is surrounded by steel guard rails, buildings and power poles. Then add in the cage'r army who seem keen to seek and destroy us.
_ Helmets are essentially a second skull. Like our skulls helmets need to defend against crushing, penetration and the brain smashing against the head bone during impact. Priorities pretty much follow that order.
_ I notice that there is a major influx of research in the area of American football helmets as regards brain injury.
https://agvsport.com/blog/which-helmet-standard-is-the-best-snell-dot-ece-sharp-or-fim.html

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #113 on: January 25, 2023, 02:07:35 pm

My helmet is black. I live in Tucson, where the summers get hot enough to cook bacon. I tell people its a minor inconvenience.

"I'd rather sweat a little than bleed a lot."

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #114 on: January 25, 2023, 02:42:01 pm
Oh, right!
 But isn't there some distance between shell and one's bonce? Would colour actually make a difference?

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #115 on: January 25, 2023, 02:46:32 pm
I sport a bushy blonde afro, which helps insulate my head from the heat.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #116 on: January 25, 2023, 04:00:28 pm
Oh, right!
 But isn't there some distance between shell and one's bonce? Would colour actually make a difference?
Yep

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #117 on: January 25, 2023, 04:05:00 pm
Oh, right!
White reflects light/heat, black soaks it up. It must have some effect.
I had a black hire car in Italy  some years back, we, out of interest turned of the aircon to see how long we could last.
Not long at all.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Brian10x

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #118 on: January 25, 2023, 04:23:13 pm
As a light-skinned black man, I can relate. I was darker when I was a boy, and I used to get quite a bit hotter than my playmates. Now that my skin tone has lightened, Summers are much more pleasant. Although, there is a small, dark spot on the base of my skull that gets really hot, for some weird reason, at night while I'm sleeping. I've tried probing it with a small, wooden-handled buck knife after cleaning thoroughly with 97% alcohol. My man-servant (actually a young boy) observed a small spark from the tip of the knife during the probe and ran from the room screaming in an weird Tagalog dialect. The heat was enough to force a gigantic booger to shoot from my left nostril at near supersonic velocity and impact the wall of marital aids on the wall with sufficient impact to dislodge a bust of Napoleon that had been nailed to the credenza.

But I digress...

Racer57

• Grease Monkey

hammer

• Bulleteer
Reply #120 on: January 25, 2023, 10:25:29 pm
 A funny thing happened in 1971 when I was 18years old. Riding a Honda CB350, with no license, a pedestrian ran out between two parked cars and I hit him.( Bronx NY ) He flipped over the bike, with the top of his head crashing me in the face. I was wearing a open face helmet ( Buco) and my face protected the helmet. Broken nose, teeth knocked out, and a concussion, I was unconscious before I hit the ground. Today I will only wear a full face helmet. The guy that I hit sued me for $150,000 and I joined the Army..... but that's another story.

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
Reply #121 on: January 25, 2023, 11:27:55 pm
A funny thing happened in 1971 when I was 18years old. Riding a Honda CB350, with no license, a pedestrian ran out between two parked cars and I hit him.( Bronx NY ) He flipped over the bike, with the top of his head crashing me in the face. I was wearing a open face helmet ( Buco) and my face protected the helmet. Broken nose, teeth knocked out, and a concussion, I was unconscious before I hit the ground. Today I will only wear a full face helmet. The guy that I hit sued me for $150,000 and I joined the Army..... but that's another story.

Are you still in the city?  Whenever I’m maneuvering my way through a line of stalled cars with limited visibility I always worry about some pedestrian appearing out of nowhere.  (It’s one of the more persuasive arguments for Loud Pipes Save Lives, though the pipes on my Interceptor are only moderately loud.)  Just another of the many hazards of urban riding.

ReddingRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #122 on: January 26, 2023, 01:02:55 am
<<The guy that I hit sued me for $150,000 and I joined the Army..... but that's another story.>>

So let's hear it....
2016 F700GS
2021 INTerceptor 650

PrinceValiant

• Scooter
Reply #123 on: January 27, 2023, 01:38:29 am
The only thing i dont want to hit - is a bird

Although wombats ,kangaroos and random cattle are a bother , snakes also .

My wife hit 2 magpies in her Subaru and that involves a hefty repair bill to the bumper and grille ( smashed )

I do wear an open face helmet and goggle , but also have full face ones .

And yes it gets hot is Oz , but a good helmet will flow air over your noggin , and CE rating hands down will outdo snell or dot - different testing procedure

But , its only Shoei - some fit okay - others give me wild headache or Arai - ( Preferred option ) which suits my fat round melon quite well !

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #124 on: January 27, 2023, 07:52:24 pm
ECE/FIM kicks it's arse... you actually want to avoid a Snell rating, since the two are incompatible.

That seems to be the case.  I did prick my ears up when I heard Simon Crafar after having a massive highside on a 500 GP bike got bad concussion. He immediately dumped the helmet brand he was being paid heaps to use and went back to Arai.

Maybe it’s because I could never afford them when I was young but I only buy Arai and Shoei today. Even if they aren’t any better in a crash they certainly feel quality items to out your head in.
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

MikeAlpha

• Grease Monkey
  • Germany, 2020 Interceptor 650, 2022 Guzzi V7 Sp.
Reply #125 on: January 28, 2023, 03:54:49 am
I only buy Arai and Shoei today. Even if they aren’t any better in a crash they certainly feel quality items to out your head in.

Fully agree. Besides overall quality they are good to get glasses inside and are reasonably quiet.

Got that nice Arai with Isle of Man TT theme, fits well to the British heritage of the  Interceptor.

https://youtu.be/F_8wNji0AcE

Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Baker Express - 2020
Moto Guzzi V7 Special - 2022

Black Forest, Germany

Racer57

• Grease Monkey
Reply #126 on: January 28, 2023, 04:17:23 am

Phil
Your right. No helmet needed. He was released a few days later. Was wearing a Snell approved helmet which is required by USAC.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 04:20:24 am by Racer57 »

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #127 on: January 28, 2023, 05:21:52 am
Your right. No helmet needed. He was released a few days later. Was wearing a Snell approved helmet which is required by USAC.

How could you possible be ejected from a sprint car wearing a full race harness? How is that possible? Unless you forgot to actually put it on. And that leads back to the "no helmet required for sprint car drivers because there's nothing between the ears to protect"  ;)

Phil
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

Racer57

• Grease Monkey
Reply #128 on: January 29, 2023, 04:19:24 am
How could you possible be ejected from a sprint car wearing a full race harness? How is that possible? Unless you forgot to actually put it on. And that leads back to the "no helmet required for sprint car drivers because there's nothing between the ears to protect"  ;)

Phil
Its a Midget and all harness was properly installed prior to race and checked by crew. Driver didn't notice anything wrong during prior laps. Best as they can figure out it was a perfect storm of events that caused his harness to unbuckle while he was flipping. Btw, your comments about forms of racing and the people involved you have shown to know nothing about are nothing but childish. Btw, for what its worth.... A while back I was looking for recommendations for exhaust.  Of all the suggestions, I chose yours and I'm presently waiting for delivery of the Verex pipes and mufflers.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 04:56:03 am by Racer57 »

Racer57

• Grease Monkey
Reply #129 on: January 29, 2023, 04:26:48 am
A friend of mine is the Former Racing Director at Bell Racing Company until his retirement. He was the one in the Bell helmet Indy 500 building in the Pits that Drivers came too for adjustments etc. for many years.  I sent a text asking about Snell rating. I have to admit that I was wrong about somethings which I freely admit. (anyone got a crow}

What rating does NASCAR and Indycar require for helmets ?

FIA 8860
Nascar might also allow the FIA 8859/Snell SA2020

USAC is Snell though ?

Yes SA2020 and SA2015. Also SFI31.1 and FIA 8859 & 8860

Thanks. Been in discussion on motorcycle forum with people from outside of US saying the Snell rating is worthless.

Basically it is worthless except in the US and Canada

Snell specs not as good as FIA specs ?

Not necessarily. And some of the testing areas of the helmet they're exactly the same. It's just that FIA is worldwide and always have been. Snell is US based
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 04:58:06 am by Racer57 »

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #130 on: January 29, 2023, 05:41:49 am
Its a Midget and all harness was properly installed prior to race and checked by crew. Driver didn't notice anything wrong during prior laps. Best as they can figure out it was a perfect storm of events that caused his harness to unbuckle while he was flipping. Btw, your comments about forms of racing and the people involved you have shown to know nothing about are nothing but childish. Btw, for what its worth.... A while back I was looking for recommendations for exhaust.  Of all the suggestions, I chose yours and I'm presently waiting for delivery of the Verex pipes and mufflers.

I think you don't understand my sense of humour which is understandable and yes I'm aware it's a midget. I'm reasonably aware of speedway racing basics. Also aware enough to know about full harnesses and their operation. I was in fact required to inspect and certify them in my previous working life and have had cars fitted with them as well. Harnesses actually made by me personally in fact apart from the coupler and fittings. A Racing Harness "coming undone" by itself ? well in this case Occams razor applies I think.

Phil

« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 05:49:32 am by lucky phil »
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

Streetliight

• Bulleteer
Reply #131 on: January 29, 2023, 08:14:30 am
I think you don't understand my sense of humour which is understandable and yes I'm aware it's a midget. I'm reasonably aware of speedway racing basics. Also aware enough to know about full harnesses and their operation. I was in fact required to inspect and certify them in my previous working life and have had cars fitted with them as well. Harnesses actually made by me personally in fact apart from the coupler and fittings. A Racing Harness "coming undone" by itself ? well in this case Occams razor applies I think.

Phil

I share your bewilderment at a harness coming undone like that, albeit I lack the real world hands-on experience that you seem to have with it.

But still, I think motorsport in general has demonstrated that the unthinkable is always a possibility no matter how safe the cars seem to be at the time. Jules Bianchi, Dale Earnhardt, etc.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #132 on: January 29, 2023, 08:48:36 am
A friend of mine is the Former Racing Director at Bell Racing Company until his retirement. He was the one in the Bell helmet Indy 500 building in the Pits that Drivers came too for adjustments etc. for many years.  I sent a text asking about Snell rating. I have to admit that I was wrong about somethings which I freely admit. (anyone got a crow}

FIA 8860

USAC is Snell though ?

Thanks. Been in discussion on motorcycle forum with people from outside of US saying the Snell rating is worthless.

Not necessarily. And some of the testing areas of the helmet they're exactly the same. It's just that FIA is worldwide and always have been. Snell is US based

That's interesting. I don't know much about helmet rating or testing but I was listening to a podcast the other day where the guest was explaining about safety ratings. He said something about Snell being more car focused and that the Snell approved helmets needed to be able to withstand repeated bashings against roll cages and were therefore not ideal for bikes, where a one off impact absorption was more important.

That reminded me of airsports helmets: Some guys go hang and paragliding in motorbike helmets. At the speeds we typically crash at, a moto lid apparently doesn't absorb the impact so well. An airsport lid is more like a pushbike one, but with better penetration resistance. Downhill MTB lids are a good choice.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #133 on: January 29, 2023, 09:55:38 am

FIA 8860

USAC is Snell though ?

The rising criticism of the Snell rating (it was seen as a badge of honour in the 1980s and 90s) is not new it must be at least 10 years old. Basically it comes down to Snell focusing on how hard the helmet is against a piercing blow something that is not that relevant for the vast majority of crashes.

Having said that my Arai is snell rated but my Shoei isn’t as it has a retractable tinted visor which automatically means it can’t get a snell rating
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #134 on: January 29, 2023, 01:23:10 pm
 So this brings up a question about ratings.
 I wear a Schuberth C5 helmet which carries an ECE 22.06 rating in the European market but a DOT rating in the US.
 Are they the same helmet? Surely they make one helmet for both markets and just submit to different testing organizations, right!?

Racer57

• Grease Monkey
Reply #135 on: January 29, 2023, 03:19:06 pm
 I wear a Schuberth C5 helmet which carries an ECE 22.06 rating in the European market but a DOT rating in the US.
 Are they the same helmet? Surely they make one helmet for both markets and just submit to different testing organizations, right!?
Here an example of a helmet with a DOT helmet to give you an idea of the quality of that rating.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #136 on: January 29, 2023, 05:50:49 pm

Yes same helmet.
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #137 on: January 29, 2023, 05:55:03 pm
Here an example of a helmet with a DOT helmet to give you an idea of the quality of that rating.
That does not address my question in the slightest.

My Question is this, since it seems be be hard to understand:
 If a helmet is designed & manufactured to meet ECE 22.06, and can not be sold in the USA without a DOT rating, would the company start from scratch to make the same model to pass DOT? Or would them just test the already superior ECE helmet against DOT standards?

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #138 on: January 29, 2023, 06:32:28 pm

If a helmet is designed & manufactured to meet ECE 22.06, and can not be sold in the USA without a DOT rating, would the company start from scratch to make the same model to pass DOT? Or would them just test the already superior ECE helmet against DOT standards?

i cant see why an ECE rated helmet couldn't pass DOT. i feel like anything you stick on your head with a strap could probably pass DOT lol. it seems its up to the company to see whether its worth paying to get DOT certification.

shoei has ECE-only models which im sure some retro helmet lovers would love over here (like the badly named shoei glamster). i guess its not worth it to them to get DOT certification done, seeing as the biggest market in the US are harley riders and they certainly will never wear full face helmets lol.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 06:49:29 pm by iblastoff »

Racer57

• Grease Monkey
Reply #139 on: January 29, 2023, 07:37:32 pm

My point was to show that if a helmet isn't able to pass DOT, Id be afraid to drop it on a bed. Sorry I didn't explain it better.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #140 on: January 29, 2023, 10:17:09 pm

No the DOT standard isn't that hard to pass so the same helmet would be used.  My Arai has DOT and Snell stickers on the back.

from AGV's website:

"Despite the weakness of the laws, the DOT standard is the most important standard for helmets to meet in the United States as it is a mandatory requirement. Most real motorcycle helmets used in the USA meet DOT standards. The Department of Transportation tests are less strict than some other tests but still weed out inferior helmets.

There are four separate tests that a helmet must pass to qualify for DOT certification. A helmet must pass an impact test, a penetration test, a retention strap test, and a peripheral vision test. While these tests are not easy to pass, the standards are more lenient than for some other motorcycle helmet certificates."

https://agvsport.com/blog/which-helmet-standard-is-the-best-snell-dot-ece-sharp-or-fim.html

2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

PrinceValiant

• Scooter
Reply #141 on: January 29, 2023, 11:02:10 pm
Not a bad overview

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/helmets/how-to-choose-the-best-motorcycle-helmet

Arai and Shoei manufacture using the 'egg theory ' that the shape will dictate your head rolling or deflecting over road hazards /kerbs etc .

The US market is very different to the rest of the world in relation to ' personal freedoms '

An observation , nothing more .