Author Topic: 1959 Indian Trailblazer  (Read 5141 times)

oilypuddlefield

• Scooter
Reply #105 on: January 10, 2023, 09:52:14 pm
According to a copy of an AMAL  ID reference, your carb...389/234 was actually outfitted for a US market 1966 BSA Thunderbolt 650.
The correct carb number for your Trail Blazer is- 389/16
Interestingly, they show as having the same bore size (1-1/8) just different jets and throttle slide cutaways
                                                                                                           Needle
                                                                          Bore Pilot Cutaway Main Jet  Position

389/234 BSA 650cc 1966; A65 Thunderbolt (USA) 1 1/8" 25     3.5     310 0.106   3
389/16 Indian 692cc 1958-60; Trailblazer Twin      1 1/8" 30     3.5     270 0.106   2

Theoretically, you could rebuild your carb with new parts to suit and take a chance. OR buy a new one from Burlen and save the gamble.

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #106 on: January 11, 2023, 04:46:12 am
Thanks for the info opf. I'll have a closer look at mine. Where is the best place to get parts from?
Regards
Tv
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

oilypuddlefield

• Scooter
Reply #107 on: January 11, 2023, 01:09:30 pm
Probably the best option for parts...
https://amalcarb.co.uk/monobloc-series.htm
Hitchcocks should have the correct bits as well.
Or prowl around on eBay.
One thing with old Amals, which you might already be aware of is, the mating flanges warp and can allow air to get past the O-ring.
I've always filed and sanded them flat.
Some brave souls have rigged up a contraption to draw them back flat by way of a T bolt affair run through the bore.
Try at your own risk !

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #108 on: January 21, 2023, 11:02:40 am
Dropped the crank at the crank grinders. Turns out we worked together 40 years ago (furniture retail business) so most of our conversation was about that. He reassured me my crank was in the right hands. He's still doing it after 40 years and reckons it's hard to retire because no-one does this stuff any more and none of the young blokes are interested. His mate does rebores so he's got the barrels and pistons so hopefully, wont be too long before I might be able to fit the short motor.

Got a long way to go yet. Learning something new every time I get something done.

Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #109 on: January 21, 2023, 01:24:23 pm
Unfortunately these guys won't be around for ever, and it does need younger blood to carry this stuff on. Does your crank grinder want you as a mature apprentice? Assuming you're not already the same age as he is?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

TonyVanda

• Bulleteer
Reply #110 on: January 21, 2023, 09:05:14 pm
Naah Adrian, we are the same age. I wouldn't be looking to do an apprenticeship in that field anyway. I already get too much oil under my fingernails. Besides, for what he is charging, I'd just as sooner get him to do it.

The resto process is great fun and I learn stuff every day. I'd like to learn how to use a metal lathe one of these days. They look like a handy bit of kit.
Aarrrgh, an oil drip!

oilypuddlefield

• Scooter
Reply #111 on: January 27, 2023, 01:10:30 pm
Stay away from metal lathes !They're only the beginning. Once you have learned that, then comes the milling machine.
Then you start collecting tools and gadgets so you can  make "stuff". And the smell of cutting oil will permeate your clothes.
After awhile, your shop will be the only place that makes sense !
Speaking from 40+ years as a self employed metal cutter.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #112 on: January 27, 2023, 01:18:28 pm
The clever thing for most of us to do is actually become good friends with a man in your position! (Says the man with no machinist buddies...)

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...