Author Topic: Lithium Batteries  (Read 17065 times)

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #30 on: September 18, 2020, 07:34:35 pm
I looked at the $80+ charger recommended for this battery and it has a gaggle of fittings to plug the battery into. Am I understanding the image on the Shorai site? It looks like there needs to be pretty significant wiring effort to the RE system. Is that correct? Not really plug and play? You know, shove it in the battery box, hook up the pos and neg cables and Bob's your uncle.
shove it in the battery box, hook up the pos and neg cables and Bob's your uncle.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Couchy

• Scooter
Reply #31 on: September 18, 2020, 09:21:17 pm
I’ve had the same lithium battery for 3 years now on a few different bikes, it’s never been charged on a charger and has sat for 6 months at a time. Mine is a Shorai.
There’s no need for a charger tbh

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: September 18, 2020, 09:47:43 pm
As I mentioned a couple of months ago, I have a big and expensive Shorai lithium battery in my BMW R1200RS and another one in my F650GS. They both stay charged just fine using the bike's on-board charging system.  I also have an Optimate lithium battery charger and sometimes plug it in after a ride. Its green light, indicating a full charge, typically comes on after about 10 minutes of charging. If you want to go cheap, purchase a small Battery Tender lithium battery charger, which I use to charge the lithium battery that is in my 2011 Bullet. It has been keeping that little battery in good health for the past 7 years. I really don't think you need to pay big bucks for the Shorai charger.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 09:51:12 pm by Richard230 »
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #33 on: September 19, 2020, 12:14:34 am
I’ve had the same lithium battery for 3 years now on a few different bikes, it’s never been charged on a charger and has sat for 6 months at a time. Mine is a Shorai.
There’s no need for a charger tbh
Me too.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #34 on: September 20, 2020, 08:40:18 pm
In the past I have used AntiGravity brand but my most recent lithium is a Shorai. The Shorai is actually bigger than the AGM it replaced. Lucky I had room.

Spicyred

• Ice Queenslander (Australia)
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #35 on: February 22, 2021, 12:23:15 am
+1 for using both: I'm using a Motobatt AGM in my Ducati. The same battery is supposed to fit the Enfield but when I tried it, the case is just too big. I bought  SSB Powersport lithium instead. I used one on my suzuki savage for years. It started that big single no worries. And fitted away discreetly, a consideration on a bobber with more empty space than motorbike.

Anyway the lithium in the Enfield is good,  and I can swap the same battery between a few different bikes because it's small. One thing I could mention is that the battery light comes on at idle which didn't tend to happen with the pb battery. The built in volt meter is cool though...

So long as you buy a moto specific lithium battery, there's no problem. They have balancing circuit built in and over charge protection so the fire risk is not worth worrying about. IMO, FWIW, YMMV etc.

My bike/battery is now two years old so I’d better be prepared for when it goes belly up.
No signs thus far of it waning but sometimes they just die without warning.

What is the SSB part number of your Lithium battery please Gizzo?
Did it just slot straight in?

How is it performing these days and does the extreme heat we have at times, have an adverse impact?

Cheers,
Kel
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #36 on: February 22, 2021, 02:15:27 pm
If one is trying to lighten their bike, 5 or 6lbs is pretty damn significant for one part, and it is high up weight as well.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #37 on: February 22, 2021, 03:41:19 pm
I raced bicycles for many years - we obsessed over grams and ounces (only one person-power to push on the pedals). I guess it gets in the blood, so I couldn't help myself - the battery (along with the stock silencers) was the first to go. Lithium battery has worked flawlessly for me so far, although it's only been a year, so I suppose the jury's still out. I have a box of stuff I've taken off the bike that is probably pushing 30 lbs. by now. Doubt if I really notice the difference but I feel good about it.

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #38 on: February 22, 2021, 04:07:16 pm
I kept track of weight differentials of stuff I took off and then replaced on the Enfield.   I lightened my bike by 43 pounds.  The biggest chunk of that was the TEC Stinger.

I notice the difference pushing the thing around in my shop.  Since that weight did not come off in one fell swoop any performance gain was difficult for the butt dyno to detect.

Kevin Cameron says 4 lbs. equals 1 horsepower. 

I think a lithium battery is in the cards.

cyril31

• Grease Monkey
Reply #39 on: February 22, 2021, 04:25:24 pm
I kept track of weight differentials of stuff I took off and then replaced on the Enfield.   I lightened my bike by 43 pounds.  The biggest chunk of that was the TEC Stinger.

I notice the difference pushing the thing around in my shop.  Since that weight did not come off in one fell swoop any performance gain was difficult for the butt dyno to detect.

Kevin Cameron says 4 lbs. equals 1 horsepower. 

I think a lithium battery is in the cards.

Better add HPs then. Removing everything inside and installing light wheels, brakes, tyres, lithium battery, building suspension parts out of aluminium sure was better than stock.

But what got me going faster on track  was increasing HP, which also meant adding weigh. I had to add 50lbs for a half cage when I upgraded the engine around 300hp, and now i am adding quite more for a full cage and various strengthening needed ... the build 600hp is ready, and it is going to be badly needed XD

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: February 22, 2021, 04:48:02 pm
If I had 600 hp I'd for sure want a full cage!  :D

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #41 on: February 22, 2021, 09:44:55 pm
My bike/battery is now two years old so I’d better be prepared for when it goes belly up.
No signs thus far of it waning but sometimes they just die without warning.

What is the SSB part number of your Lithium battery please Gizzo?
Did it just slot straight in?

How is it performing these days and does the extreme heat we have at times, have an adverse impact?

Cheers,
Kel
Hey Kel. I'm using this one in my gt
https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/SSB-PowerSport-LH5L-BS-Lithium-Ultralite-12V-Batte/4-LH5L-BS?gclid=CjwKCAiAyc2BBhAaEiwA44-wWzKFIRgR1y_6rHEoe37-LZGWRhyW2r-JPnEqTdl1-CPoHE6_TJ5OIRoCZBsQAvD_BwE

It's smaller than the oem battery so I chocked it in with some slices of scrap epp foam.

It's been working perfect for 2 summers and winters, not a problem. It starts my modded 535 single (no decompressor) fine, and I've used it to start my Pantah and TRX850 as well, no worries. A benefit that reared its head a fortnight ago was that there's no acid in there to spill out when my bike spent an hour upside down.

You can get on ebay and other places but I've always had great service from MX Store for my supermoto and dirt bike supplies so happy to shop for batteries with them too.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 09:48:23 pm by gizzo »
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Spicyred

• Ice Queenslander (Australia)
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #42 on: February 22, 2021, 11:40:09 pm
Good feedback Simon. Much appreciated.
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: February 23, 2021, 08:05:19 pm
Well l normally get five years out of a well branded lead acid so l guess l will stick with that, of course there has been fire risks with lithium, if you want more cranking power from lead acid just up grade the cranking amps.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: February 27, 2022, 06:44:26 pm
Reviving an old topic, what lithium batteries are y'all using now?
 I'm most interested in size as I'm looking for on board space to store eastbound tire tools.
hoping to put the pack in the space freed up by the smaller battery.
 Love my bike but wish there was more space to put things!
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650