Author Topic: What did you do to your RE Continental GT today?  (Read 390733 times)

KarlReinhard

• Scooter
Reply #1590 on: January 13, 2023, 08:47:06 pm
Bob, Gizzo
thanks for you Thoughts.
The Noise is more like a constant singing ,kind of Whistle. I remember it from too tense Camchains on four Cylinder Engines. There is no knocking, no ticking.  ( Piston - Valve Clearence )
What confuses me: I'm riding this Bike/Engine since 2015 / 12000 km. It never sounded like it does since my Modifications. Not to forget: It runs fine at any Rpm. There is just that strange Noise....
Real Motorcycle Engines are Aircooled !

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1591 on: January 13, 2023, 11:40:30 pm
Bob, Gizzo
thanks for you Thoughts.
The Noise is more like a constant singing ,kind of Whistle. I remember it from too tense Camchains on four Cylinder Engines. There is no knocking, no ticking.  ( Piston - Valve Clearence )
What confuses me: I'm riding this Bike/Engine since 2015 / 12000 km. It never sounded like it does since my Modifications. Not to forget: It runs fine at any Rpm. There is just that strange Noise....

Well....  That description may be of some help.  Is it possible it is an exhaust noise?  It is amazing what an exhaust leak can sound like sometime.  Have you put a stethoscope to it.  that may help you define the source.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1592 on: January 14, 2023, 01:18:12 pm
Well I couldn't tell since I'm already suffering an advanced stage of tinnitus, maybe if you posted an AudiOoo file.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 01:40:53 pm by derottone »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1593 on: January 19, 2023, 09:12:39 pm
For a whining noise, I would check the new cams for proper gear lash. Too tight and the gears whine.
I realize it is not in the head, but sometimes noises travel.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

StreetKleaver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1594 on: January 20, 2023, 07:59:57 am
The new UCE Hitchcocks Performance cams do whine. Their tooth profile has a wider root/base diameter, so they whine. I sent a few emails back and forth questioning this as last year they had only been re-stocked with a new batch.

Even with the correct setting of lash. No push rods in, checking entire rotation of each cam wheel making sure there is no tight spots and they can freely move in and out. They whine.
I've been assured by HMC its fine.
My machinist brain understands their design for strength. But I've never heard of a Enfield Cam wheel tooth profile needing to be beefed up.

They just sound like straight cut primaries of the old hot street cars.

After the first few 1000ks mine have quietened down. But still audible. I check the lash with every oil/filter change.
I've gotten used to it. Gives it a bit of growling attitude.
59 Club UK/Australia
Instagram : @modern_day_rocker

KarlReinhard

• Scooter
Reply #1595 on: January 21, 2023, 11:16:25 am
Hi Folks, thanks again for your help.
@ StreetKleaver , I agree. I double checked everything. The lash setting is fine. The new cams show no wear. The cam bearings look perfekt. And now after riding a few kilometers on the road they have quitened down remarkable. I think you are right: The whine results from Hitchcocks Cam wheel tooth profile.
After reading about @TAURIMS problem with the cam bearings I added an Additiv with MOS2 (Molybdenum Disulfide) to the engine oil.
Now I´m waiting for dry roads (we have 20cm of snow since yesterday!) to see how the engine finally performs.
Wish you all a nice weekend !
Karl
Real Motorcycle Engines are Aircooled !

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1596 on: January 21, 2023, 01:12:13 pm
Hmm... replace the front wheel with a ski, two outrigger skis on the back and a nice knobbly MX rear tyre, you could still be having fun with it.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1597 on: January 21, 2023, 02:51:42 pm
Hi Folks, thanks again for your help.
@ StreetKleaver , I agree. I double checked everything. The lash setting is fine. The new cams show no wear. The cam bearings look perfekt. And now after riding a few kilometers on the road they have quitened down remarkable. I think you are right: The whine results from Hitchcocks Cam wheel tooth profile.
After reading about @TAURIMS problem with the cam bearings I added an Additiv with MOS2 (Molybdenum Disulfide) to the engine oil.
Now I´m waiting for dry roads (we have 20cm of snow since yesterday!) to see how the engine finally performs.
Wish you all a nice weekend !
Karl

Glad you have it solved.  Thank goodness it wasn't something that requires pulling the engine apart again.  I hate it when that happens!  lol  Like you, we also have snow.  We won't see any bike riding for a few months.   Not really quite enough snow for me to dig out the snowmobile yet  I just picked up my first sled and am eager to try it out.

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1598 on: January 22, 2023, 07:51:02 pm
Finished the final assembly and adjustments of the 535 and did the first (very very) short run... I took me a lot more time than anticipated so it was not outside but... inside the house !

I can now call it a kitchen racer  :-[

Next step is waiting for some nice weather outside  :)

Now I have to air out the house before my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy ;D
(she already knows :o )

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1599 on: January 22, 2023, 09:25:30 pm
Haha nice work! Now put all your tools in the dishwasher and take the rest of the day off.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1600 on: January 22, 2023, 10:45:02 pm
And to think, I just got chastised for running one of my bikes in our (me and Bob Jr.) workshop.  Jr. didn't like the fumes.....   (I had the door open!)  lol

Bike looks great Taurim!  Bet it sounds good as well.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1601 on: January 23, 2023, 01:14:17 pm
You could get one of these, could work for a motorcycle too, there doesn't seem to be an end to this winter.

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1602 on: January 23, 2023, 02:20:36 pm
I like that  ;D

I will have to install a big fan to cool the engine  :o

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1603 on: January 23, 2023, 02:45:09 pm
A mattress left and right and you will be as safe on it as in a Volvo parked in a garage of an swedish villa connected to the "verisure" security company.  ;)

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1604 on: January 31, 2023, 10:45:03 pm
Finally finished up a couple of projects on one of my other bike and was able to get back to the CGT.  I installed rubber washers on the top and bottom of the gauge cluster mount.  Kind of a pain to get my fat fingers in there to unscrew the bolts but it is done.  Once I remembered a tool I have had in my box for a gazillon years, it went back together quite quickly.  One of the good things about getting older (I'm 75) is that you collect oddball tools all of your life.  Some of these are pretty handy.  Do not know if this is still made (I am guessing it is), but it is probably 50 years old.  The issue about getting older is remembering you have these tools!  lol