Author Topic: 2008 Rally on the River/ Royal Enfield Family REunion.  (Read 17785 times)

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 12:23:05 am
The Rally was a success. I got there Thursday afternoon to find Chris sitting on a picnic table...   Bob Bezin rode up soon after that on his beautiful Black Bonneville. Brian Whitling, and MOKAN  also showed up. It was nice to put faces on the names.  Slam Dunkus and his crew put on a good show. Kevin and Rhett from
CMW showed up pulling a trailer. They rolled out a shop bike with the UCE mounted in it.

Yes, it looks good in a bike.
  Yes, it sounds like it ought to.
  Yes, we all got TEST RIDES!!

I'm sure there will be more- Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

prof_stack

Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 03:55:08 am
  Yes, it looks good in a bike.
  Yes, it sounds like it ought to.
  Yes, we all got TEST RIDES!!

I'm sure there will be more- Mike

Okay, so you want us begging and groveling, don't you?!   ;)

Like, how about a full bike shot?  Model G? 

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 03:56:11 am
    And tell us about the test rides..................please....

Jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 05:14:28 am
why must you tease us so :'(

anyway, i'm curious as to whether that's the real deal, the new model, a euro electra classic with the UCE strapped on, or just a local bike with the UCE retrofitted.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 05:40:12 am
Don't get too excited guys, it's just the UCE in an Electra.  Mike has a full view and more close ups of the engine he might be persuaded to post.  I'm most interested to hear his impressions of the engine.

Hey MOKAN, what did you think of the rally?  How was your trip?
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

MOKAN-BULLET

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 10:48:41 am
Had lots of fun met some folks I've traded posts with. Round trip with the riding at the rally was just over six hundred miles. That is more riding than I have ever done in a week. The bike did run a little hot she would not start after gas once had to let her cool a bit. Got flat in ST. James thought it was just low I aired it up and rode on into the camp I had to change it in the morning. Won the had luck trophy

I was DISAPOINTED! with the turnout !!!!! four Bullets Chris, Brian, a fella for NE. and me. There were a couple Bulleteer without there Bullets. 

Getting to test ride the new UCE was awesome!!!!!!!! but I almost put her in the dirt when I come back to the camp and hit the gravel that would have been disastrous
MoKan

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 06:52:29 pm
To set the record straight the bike is a hermaphrodite. It is a well used factory test bed bike (part Electra, part new frame, part whatever was laying around - or is it lying?). It was used in Europe extensively by the engine development people. A lot of it is hand welded etc. It is not pretty, but it does carry the new engine and drivetrain. So disregard the pictures you will just have to wait until Next Tuesday to see the bike. I have begged for advance pictures even groveled to no avail. I needed them for an ad we will run in some upcoming publications, but no cigar. They are not giving them up come hell or high water. Your humble correspondent will be there with a camera and if I can find an internet connection at the show will upload pictures ASAP. It is 6 hours later there and the bike is scheduled to be unveiled at 11am German time.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 03:31:08 am
I just finished uploading and editing my pics from the Rally to the photo gallery. They are in the Shows and Events section. It was a great week end; MOKAN was right; there should have been more of us there.
         - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 - Winston Churchill

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 09:37:12 pm
I just finished uploading and editing my pics from the Rally to the photo gallery. They are in the Shows and Events section. It was a great week end; MOKAN was right; there should have been more of us there.
         - Mike

Well, I just rolled in.
Took the long way home. Went down to Arkansas, and then over to Tennessee and then up through Kentucky Ohio and Michigan. 1898 miles total for the trip.
I knew I would not get lucky and make it all the way without getting wet so the gods treated me to 8 hours in the rain today.
Mike and MoKan were right about more of us showing up but on the other hand it gave us more time to thrash (I mean test) the UCE.
As soon as I get warm, clean and fed I'll unload my camera and post em.
CJ 

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 02:30:41 am
And tell us about the test rides..................please....
    Jon

Ask and you shall receive,

5 Thumbs up for the UCE
L to R 
Bob (bob bezin)
Chris (t120rbullet)
Lonnie (MOKAN-BULLET) 
Mike (baird4444)
Brian (StL_Stadtroller)
The first 5 UCE test pilots in the USA

1972 FLH "Sambo"

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008, 05:17:01 am
Boy oh boy, isn't that photo a ringing endorsement of the new engine?  I bet Kevin will use that in an advertisement.

Just Jealous,
Leonard

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008, 10:06:21 am
Boy oh boy, isn't that photo a ringing endorsement of the new engine?  I bet Kevin will use that in an advertisement.
Just Jealous,
Leonard
You should have been there with us....
'My dear you are ugly,
 - Winston Churchill

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: October 01, 2008, 01:32:01 pm
Just Jealous,
Leonard

There's a story behind that pic.
At least 1 of those guys is a diehard anti-improvement, anti-technology old school kinda guy that even turned his back on the electric start motors and didn't even take a second look at the Electra motor. For him to think they nailed it was a big big step.
Kevin seemed to think that after he left for the night we would rake the UCE over the coals. So in an effort to maintain complete honesty we took that pic.
That way if we beat it up after he left we would all be hypocrites.
I didn't hear anything negative about it and if this is going to be the way of the future I think they did it right.
Of course there are "improvements" that are going to have to be made like scraping the exhaust system but the basic package is there.

Ah, there's so much more to say but I'm afraid I said too much already.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 04:32:16 pm by t120rbullet »
1972 FLH "Sambo"

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #28 on: October 01, 2008, 04:14:37 pm
It really was a great weekend. I came down with Rhett and we had a blast. We took the UCE on a ride that was about 40 miles in length. We grossly overdid as between us we must weigh 440 lbs. Even at that through all of the up and downs I did not have to downshift that bike at all. I was more than amazed as was Chris who rode behind us. The bike was a bit squirrelly  until I admitted how much we weighed and stiffened the shock setting. It was a dream then, even two up. I had ridden the bike around the shop building and was impressed with how strong it felt, but having it our on the twisty-turneys and all of the up and down of Southern MO was really impressive. The engine was really in its element here. Although I knew what I thought about it, I am of course prejudiced. I was really happy to hear the US test riders (Yes boys and girls they are the first official test riders in the US, don't you wish you had come? And yes they got to ride it as much as they wanted to) approve of the bike. I do think they were being sincere (I didn't even pay for their beer). The fact that Royal Enfield stuck with a long stroke push-rod engine goes a long way towards Bullet riders liking the bike. It also has a great exhaust note, as good as any Bullet or maybe even sweeter. We have waited a long time for this and I really do think they got it right.

I have been at all of the Rallies on the River and I think this was one of the very best. It was a great crowd (well crowd might be an exaggeration), the weather was good and as always Bill of Interstate and his wife Mary were the consummate hosts. The campground owner Skip was in rare form which always makes the trip worthwhile.

Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #29 on: October 01, 2008, 04:30:08 pm
There's a story behind that pic.
At least 1 of those guys is a diehard anti-improvement, anti-technology old school kinda guy that even turned his back on the electric start motors and didn't even take a second look at the Electra motor. For him to think they nailed it was a big big step.

I'm betting it's the tall guy with the white beard.