Author Topic: Neutral light sensor  (Read 2802 times)

Magoo

• Bulleteer
on: February 03, 2015, 02:41:00 pm
Search function still screwy on here and I know this has been raised somewhere before.
Heading home in the wet tonight and found that the neutral light won't switch off.
It also means the engine kicks over when in gear.
Can someone point me in the direction of the neutral light sensor please?

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 06:09:41 pm

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 07:20:43 pm
if the exploded parts picture doesn't help, look for the switch just aft of the starter- single wire switch.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 10:16:55 pm
Search function still screwy on here and I know this has been raised somewhere before.
Heading home in the wet tonight and found that the neutral light won't switch off.
It also means the engine kicks over when in gear.
Can someone point me in the direction of the neutral light sensor please?

Link for neutral light switch location on RE -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_6W7QS5WQc
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 01:56:47 am
If you follow that single wire upwards, there should be a plug which you can undo...
if the light goes out when you unplug it, you know the problem lies between the plug and the sensor in the motor.
if the light stays on when the wire is unplugged, there is more than likely a short to ground somewhere after the plug.
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

gotbikes

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 04:59:37 pm
If you follow that single wire upwards, there should be a plug which you can undo...
if the light goes out when you unplug it, you know the problem lies between the plug and the sensor in the motor.
if the light stays on when the wire is unplugged, there is more than likely a short to ground somewhere after the plug.
I've found the plug but I can't undo it, it's so deep in there and the female end I'd clipped to the frame. Any advice? I have a new switch in hand.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2022, 05:30:06 am
I've found the plug but I can't undo it, it's so deep in there and the female end I'd clipped to the frame. Any advice? I have a new switch in hand.
I was having issues with the neutral sensor on my C5, and tightened it a bit too much.  The housing is plastic and snapped off, flush with the engine case.   I was using an open end wrench to remove and tighten the sensor.

I heated a broad bladed screw driver and pressed it into the plastic, such that it melted a slot into the broken off threaded stump.  After cooling the driver, I was able to use it to unscrew and remove the broken off threaded slug.  I vaguely recall removing at least one component to get access, but I don't recall details.  I was considering using a left hand threaded EZ out, but I didn't want to drill and possibly leave debris down in the transmission.