Author Topic: Ace GT Head Project  (Read 247292 times)

JerryGT

• Scooter
Reply #660 on: January 19, 2020, 11:01:12 am
Thank you all for your Thoughts and Replies.

Yes, the "ticking" could be heard louder after the installation and I think that's normal because of the higher forces in the valve train. But it didn't get louder or changed in any other way over time.
It was absolutely inconspicuous during the season, the engine ran great, I figured it out because when the oil was due to be replaced, the magnets and the old oil was full of tiny shavings.
So I removed the right engine cover and everything still looked great.
The cam wheels had sufficient play, but the bearings of the cam wheels and the inner ring of the "Carberry vibration reduction plate" showed excessive wear.

You know, I usually drive on small roads in remote mountain regions, not looking for top speed, but I love the agility of this narrow and light motorcycle and I like to drive the engine at high revs, between 4-6000 rpm with a secondary gear ratio of 17/38, this configuration with the performance kit fits perfect to my riding style here in the mountains.

Anyway, I will replace the defective parts now and have a look what it shows after another 2000 miles.

Regards,

Jerry
Teaching a pig how to fly is counterproductive and most of the time it results in a pissed-off pig.

Continental GT 535

jez

• Scooter
Reply #661 on: January 20, 2020, 09:05:02 am
If the bearings had worn surely the meshed gears couldn't be tight. However with new bearings and without adjustment of the eccentric spindles they could be. I've heard of the whole engine being seized and destroyed due to mechanics getting this wrong.
It's not something you generally have to do on pushrod singles, but the unit engine has the timing gears cut into the crank itself, not as as normal  a larger timing gear with more meshing teeth slotted over the crank.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 09:10:06 am by jez »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #662 on: January 20, 2020, 09:06:36 pm
Thank you all for your Thoughts and Replies.

Yes, the "ticking" could be heard louder after the installation and I think that's normal because of the higher forces in the valve train. But it didn't get louder or changed in any other way over time.
It was absolutely inconspicuous during the season, the engine ran great, I figured it out because when the oil was due to be replaced, the magnets and the old oil was full of tiny shavings.
So I removed the right engine cover and everything still looked great.
The cam wheels had sufficient play, but the bearings of the cam wheels and the inner ring of the "Carberry vibration reduction plate" showed excessive wear.

You know, I usually drive on small roads in remote mountain regions, not looking for top speed, but I love the agility of this narrow and light motorcycle and I like to drive the engine at high revs, between 4-6000 rpm with a secondary gear ratio of 17/38, this configuration with the performance kit fits perfect to my riding style here in the mountains.

Anyway, I will replace the defective parts now and have a look what it shows after another 2000 miles.

Regards,

Jerry

Just MY own personal observations....

If you noticed on those Cams you installed... there is an extra layer of case Harding applied to them.  Over the already VERY hard stock gear teeth.   I believe those cams  are regrinds , which is fine .  And if they are, they certainly do not need any extra layers of case hardening. Particularly on the gear teeth. .    A champagne colored  Nitriding I believe it is.  This takes up extra mils of space between the gear teeth, and makes them fit  and mesh together tighter then the stocks ones I have found.  So it becomes a bit more difficult to fit the gears together with the proper gear lash... they fit TIGHT.   And this creates more noise.  And add to that a bush that does not hold as much oil as the stock ones do... and it adds to the noise.

As far as the anti vibration plate goes.   I would  not use it with any kind of performance mod.     The bearing in there .... the one I had at least... WAS only rated up to 4000 rpm's.  And the custom made inner race for it, had a  hardening  treatment put on it that wore through .  Quickly !   I heard bearing whine at around a thousand miles , and got rid of the thing.  It may be OK for a stock bike at lower rpm's, and puttering around ?   And I think that is what it was designed for.   But if your going to rev it ?  I wouldn't .. personally !... use it.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

JerryGT

• Scooter
Reply #663 on: January 21, 2020, 09:39:21 am
If you noticed on those Cams you installed... there is an extra layer of case Harding applied to them.......This takes up extra mils of space between the gear teeth, and makes them fit  and mesh together tighter then the stocks ones I have found.  So it becomes a bit more difficult to fit the gears together with the proper gear lash... they fit TIGHT.   And this creates more noise.  And add to that a bush that does not hold as much oil as the stock ones do... and it adds to the noise.
That does make sense to me.
The noise, I talked about wasn`t a whine, more that "ticking" an "chirping" of the gears backlash and from the push rods, the rockers and their tolerances. Just louder than stock.

As far as the anti vibration plate goes.   I would  not use it with any kind of performance mod.     The bearing in there .... the one I had at least... WAS only rated up to 4000 rpm's.  And the custom made inner race for it, had a  hardening  treatment put on it that wore through .  Quickly !   I heard bearing whine at around a thousand miles , and got rid of the thing.  It may be OK for a stock bike at lower rpm's, and puttering around ?   And I think that is what it was designed for.   But if your going to rev it ?  I wouldn't .. personally !... use it.

Absolutely right.
When I saw that the thin hardened layer had chipped off, it was clear to me that it would not be replaced.

Greets,

Jerry
Teaching a pig how to fly is counterproductive and most of the time it results in a pissed-off pig.

Continental GT 535

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #664 on: February 28, 2020, 06:19:57 pm
Cams are installed.
  I need to wire in the second DynaTek coil. The Fireball head is a twin spark.
  While switching to 520 sprockets and chain, I pulled the rear wheel and disengaged the rear brake line from the caliper. Gotta do a brake fluid change.
  I'm going to change the sprag gear as well.
  The right side crankcase cover is back on. I did some grinding on the oil filler screw in filter. The stator wires are in the way.
  The two wire sets, one is the stator are very difficult to unplug and plug. To unplug them, I disconnected the rear/left motor mount plate. Looks like I'll stick to that. I don't want to add wire length and extra connectors, especially to the stator output wires. It's too easy to lose or melt a connection with that power. I know it sounds silly to talk about output from our little stators!
Cheers,
Bill G.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 06:31:24 pm by Guaire »
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #665 on: April 18, 2020, 07:43:09 pm
The next step was to take GT to Cycles of Silver Spring and a visit to a machinist. That's on hold until CSS can go back to work.
  There will a volume measure of the Fireball combustion chamber and the space above the piston to the deck of the barrel. That will give us the compression ratio. The barrel will take a skimming if the measurements indicate it's the thing to do.
  There's a little bit of custom work on a replacement lifters cover.
Hang in there!
Bill

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #666 on: April 18, 2020, 08:09:29 pm
Looking good, Bill!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #667 on: April 18, 2020, 11:11:18 pm
Thanks, Tom.
  Because of this gap, we can't test the cams either.
  Our valve guys are in limbo too. Eventually our guys will come up with valves for the "Clubman Kit" for UCE engines. They will be stainless steel and the intake will be 1mm larger. When I get them I will set up a modified UCE head, using the improved valves.
  Also, our finishing machinist will be working on the mounting system for the 'shot ball' bar end/vibration dampers. We will have mounts for 7/8" and 1" bars, so intensely vibe shaking HD guys can get in on the fun too!
  AND.... my GT has 520 sprockets and chain for weight saving.
The future is so bright... I hope we get there!!!!
Bill

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #668 on: April 25, 2020, 12:06:08 pm
How short is it?
Bill

Sorry I missed this; I'm in Falls Church, but slated to be on my way elsewhere in late May, with the bikes being packed up for a few years of storage ( :-[ ) in the middle of the month. 

Naturally everything's been thrown into uncertainty, but the pack-out is still slated to happen despite all the restrictions on life.  When/whether I can travel on is the other half of a developing story.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #669 on: April 27, 2020, 03:38:53 pm
Sorry I missed this; I'm in Falls Church, but slated to be on my way elsewhere in late May, with the bikes being packed up for a few years of storage ( :-[ ) in the middle of the month. 

Naturally everything's been thrown into uncertainty, but the pack-out is still slated to happen despite all the restrictions on life.  When/whether I can travel on is the other half of a developing story.

I’m next door in the middle of Arlington. Gimme a honk if you want to see the Connie G and the Fireball in progress. Mostly, I’m waiting.

I finally heard from our valve guy. More stainless steel valves will be on the way.
  My guys in Silver Spring and the machine shop in Maryland are keeping their heads down during this war on making a living. When they start up, there will be a volume measurement of the combustion chamber to determine if or how much to lower the deck of the barrel for compression.

jez

• Scooter
Reply #670 on: May 01, 2020, 07:43:19 pm
Strange that the USA is the only place where this attitude is rife. Elsewhere Societies pay more respect to their old folk and others; and are desperately trying to protect them and prevent their medical services from being utterly swamped with  the sick and dying..

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #671 on: May 02, 2020, 10:53:54 pm
Strange that the USA is the only place where this attitude is rife. Elsewhere Societies pay more respect to their old folk and others; and are desperately trying to protect them and prevent their medical services from being utterly swamped with  the sick and dying..

Most countries don't seem to be doing much else
while waiting until Mr. Gates finally comes up with the vaccine against Corona.  ::)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #672 on: May 03, 2020, 12:22:54 am
Most countries don't seem to be doing much else
while waiting until Mr. Gates finally comes up with the vaccine against Corona.  ::)

That true,  but only if you exclude the food work being done by other countries. FX Australia, working on vaccines without Bill Gates help,  show spread and few deaths. My home, South Australia : 4 deaths so far. No new infections for a week.  No lock down, just restrictions on gathering sizes and social distancing.  We're still riding, surfing, skiing. Cafes and restaurants are still shut tho.

But, If it didn't happen in 'Murcia,  it didn't happen, as usual.  ???

In other news, Aussie dollar still sucks so I still can't afford a new cylinder head.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 12:27:41 am by gizzo »
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #673 on: May 03, 2020, 09:35:44 am
I've been told I got no rights what so ever, so why bother doing anything anyway. Heading south...

May take a while until the EU fixes itself.  ;)

jez

• Scooter
Reply #674 on: May 04, 2020, 12:51:00 am
I and quite a few of my friends have had it. If you're in good health and not overweight  the prognosis is pretty good, which doesn't help a nation with appalling levels of morbidity. Still locked down [sort off] due to bugger all testing. Supposed to be taking my bike to Paul Henshaw but.... Two UK trials of a vaccine going on now, funded by our government. A lot of the USA has just lost patience, rather than come through it. Actually I think it's yet to hit most rural States in a really big way, but, off topic......