Author Topic: Stock Interceptor vs my free-breathing Interceptor  (Read 18407 times)

Heavy Duty Mick

• Scooter
on: August 05, 2020, 11:31:33 am
For those who have been waiting for facts and figures without the bullshit. Here is a stock 650 Interceptor and my 650 Interceptor that is fitted with S&S Cycle, Inc. mufflers, pipes from Royal Enfield Sydney / Revelry Cycles, DNA High Performance Filters air filter, and tuned with a PowerTRONIC - Plug-In Performance ECU.

The blue lines are the stock bike. The red lines are my bike.

The tuning was performed by Dave and Vince at Sydney Dyno Pty Ltd

Don't just look at the peak horsepower numbers, look at the improvement in torque and horsepower everywhere. This is a difference that you will definitely notice. It's not a race bike but it is a bucket of fun to ride. Especially with the quickshifter.

Thank you to Will and Santina at Royal Enfield Sydney

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 12:11:16 pm
Solid gains.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

cyril31

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 12:28:37 pm
interesting figure.

So 3HP gain at WOT with pipes, exhaust, air filter, remap.

How much did all that cost ? I guesstimate around the 1800 USD mark ?

Roshiba777

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 12:49:34 pm
According to powerdynamics their piggy back ecu alone can increase the bhp +3bhp on stock setup with map 2
Royal Enfield CI 500 (2000)
Royal Enfield STD UCE 500 (2010)
Royal Enfield Classic 500 (2011)
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 (2011)
Yamaha RD350 (1988)
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 (2019)

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 01:09:45 pm
For those who have been waiting for facts and figures without the bullshit. Here is a stock 650 Interceptor and my 650 Interceptor that is fitted with S&S Cycle, Inc. mufflers, pipes from Royal Enfield Sydney / Revelry Cycles, DNA High Performance Filters air filter, and tuned with a PowerTRONIC - Plug-In Performance ECU.

Don't just look at the peak horsepower numbers, look at the improvement in torque and horsepower everywhere.
This is a difference that you will definitely notice. It's not a race bike but it is a bucket of fun to ride. Especially with the quickshifter.

Thanks HD MIck for doing this and publishing it.
I know that some folks will dismiss "up-tuning" a midsize motorcycle when you could just buy a faster 1150cc something. Then they dismiss the bigger bike because nobody uses all that power ... etc. blah de blah.
That is missing the point entirely. A point that you make and I agree with. Sweet running motorcycles -especially midsize ones - are a real joy to ride. My bike has gone from a really great bike to a _ I love this freak'n motorcycle!
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Heavy Duty Mick

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 01:17:45 pm
Something to think about.

Where does your tacho needle spend most of the time while you are riding?

That’s the area to look at on the graph I shared.

The greatest gains are right there where you do most of your riding.

goody59

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 01:22:58 pm
Thanks Mick. Great job sharing. Makes a great Interceptor even greater.
Steve from Victoria, Australia. MY22 Interceptor.

Heavy Duty Mick

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 01:23:17 pm
According to powerdynamics their piggy back ecu alone can increase the bhp +3bhp on stock setup with map 2

I can’t make any comment on that as I fitted the Powertronics unit after de-restricting the intake and exhaust.

Will from Royal Enfield Sydney loaded maps in that he had prepared earlier. They worked well and provided an excellent baseline for Dave and Vince to tune from.

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 01:28:49 pm
Thanks for sharing these results,  I'm  impressed  how the gains are spread throughout the range. Big improvment at 5500 rpm  , my fun zone 5-6 k
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 01:35:38 pm by Jako »
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 01:51:30 pm
Heavy Duty Mick
  Do you have the dyno chart showing  Wills supplied map V  the dyno tuned map ?
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 02:01:26 pm
With great power, comes great responsibility.

Use it for good, not evil!

Cookie

Don't just look at the peak horsepower numbers, look at the improvement in torque and horsepower everywhere. This is a difference that you will definitely notice. It's not a race bike but it is a bucket of fun to ride. Especially with the quickshifter.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 02:02:57 pm
cyril,

You are one of the few who live in the world or "reality"....

Just sayin'

Cookie

interesting figure.

So 3HP gain at WOT with pipes, exhaust, air filter, remap.

How much did all that cost ? I guesstimate around the 1800 USD mark ?

cyril31

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 02:28:28 pm
I tend to be a pragmatic. I bought a 6500€, 47HP bike. Because i liked its overall look, feel and engine. It just happened to be a royal enfield.

For the money of getting that same bike up to 50HP (and getting it not street legal in the process), i would buy a triumph street twin in a heartbeat. It has more displacement, a 65HP engine, better suspensions, better finish.

Do not get me wrong, I like my interceptor, and it is totally worth its cost. I just find hard to justify spending that kind of money on an engine to get so little in return.

I have nothing against people doing it anyway. Not everyone cares about the money side when passions shows its head. I am doing the same with my race car (although with VERY different result. OEM power: 171HP. current: 600ish. And it revs higher than my int. Turbos are great  8)) And just like it, it IS a serious money pit !

Silver650INT

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 02:57:11 pm
It was interesting for me to see what the stock curves were like. The HP and torque really follow each other in a linear fashion unlike most charts I have seen on other engines before. The first time I tried to run it to redline I hit a very "hard" rev limiter before the redline began which mirrors what the dyno chart shows. I guess that is the same for all of these bikes with stock electronics. I don't know if it is an ignition cutout or a fuel injection shut down, but it is very abrupt. My last bike was a 1988 CBR250R with 18k redline and was an audio concert of large proportions.

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 03:30:28 pm
I tend to be a pragmatic. I bought a 6500€, 47HP bike. Because i liked its overall look, feel and engine. It just happened to be a royal enfield.

For the money of getting that same bike up to 50HP (and getting it not street legal in the process), i would buy a triumph street twin in a heartbeat. It has more displacement, a 65HP engine, better suspensions, better finish.

Do not get me wrong, I like my interceptor, and it is totally worth its cost. I just find hard to justify spending that kind of money on an engine to get so little in return.

I have nothing against people doing it anyway. Not everyone cares about the money side when passions shows its head. I am doing the same with my race car (although with VERY different result. OEM power: 171HP. current: 600ish. And it revs higher than my int. Turbos are great  8)) And just like it, it IS a serious money pit !

Great to have an informed, sceptical voice on the forum. Really rare and valuable knowledge.

I probably would be more attached to RE (and not sure about the recent gearbox stories around Triumphs) and I tend to be happy enough with whatever compromise that brings. I agree that chasing performance on this unit is more about fun than practicality, but to each his or her own.