Author Topic: Super cool l'll Enfield  (Read 8842 times)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #45 on: December 26, 2019, 07:11:00 pm
BSA were apparently offered the featherbed frame when it was first developed by the McAndless brothers and for some reason they said no. Probably Lady Docker didn't like the shape. Whether they also said "Try Norton and see if they're interested" is not recorded AFAIK. BSA management realized their blunder, and they soon came up with what was a pretty decent frame. The early Rickman motocross bikes had BSA frames fitted with Norton long roadholder forks.

Back at the RE Interceptor/BSA A10 bitsa, the new 650 engine ought to fit in that frame very nicely if the engine mounting lugs aren't too wide. While it's not immediately relevant I have seen a BSA rolling chassis fitted with a 700 Super Meteor twin engine and Albion gearbox, it certainly LOOKED good, assuming they'd got it all lined up properly.

With any BSA framed hybrid I think I'd want to keep the cycle parts and running gear as BSA as possible, think (e.g.) Catalina Gold Star gas tank. Not sure how or where the fuel injector pump is fitted on the new twins, whether you could remotely mount the RE item or use some generic free-standing pump. If you buy a repro BSA fuel tank from India no-one would be too worried it you modified the base to take the FI pump.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #46 on: December 26, 2019, 09:14:09 pm
2004 XB12 geometry. You just go along for the ride & makes even an old man look pretty good  ;D
It just needs a seat!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #47 on: December 27, 2019, 01:14:43 am
I'm glad to see Dr Mayham likes the modified Vincent.

I don't.

The owner probably spent $20,000 to change a $80,000 Vincent into a $30,000 Vincent that could have just as easily been spent to modernize a old $10,000 AMF Harley. :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #48 on: December 27, 2019, 07:33:25 am
...and ended up with the bike that makes him happy.

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #49 on: December 27, 2019, 03:12:23 pm
The owner probably spent $20,000 to change a $80,000 Vincent into a $30,000 Vincent that could have just as easily been spent to modernize a old $10,000 AMF Harley. :(

And you'd be dead wrong Aizonhoe!

And I shouldn't be wasting my time on you, somebody who isn't man enough to slight me to my face, but hey, I'm only human sometimes  8)
Guy
19 Conti GT in Dr Mayhem paint 08/24/2019
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #50 on: December 27, 2019, 03:18:49 pm
It just needs a seat!

never heard of a naked bike  ;D
Guy
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #51 on: December 27, 2019, 03:27:45 pm
BSA were apparently offered the featherbed frame when it was first developed by the McAndless brothers and for some reason they said no. Probably Lady Docker didn't like the shape. Whether they also said "Try Norton and see if they're interested" is not recorded AFAIK. BSA management realized their blunder, and they soon came up with what was a pretty decent frame. The early Rickman motocross bikes had BSA frames fitted with Norton long roadholder forks.

Back at the RE Interceptor/BSA A10 bitsa, the new 650 engine ought to fit in that frame very nicely if the engine mounting lugs aren't too wide. While it's not immediately relevant I have seen a BSA rolling chassis fitted with a 700 Super Meteor twin engine and Albion gearbox, it certainly LOOKED good, assuming they'd got it all lined up properly.

With any BSA framed hybrid I think I'd want to keep the cycle parts and running gear as BSA as possible, think (e.g.) Catalina Gold Star gas tank. Not sure how or where the fuel injector pump is fitted on the new twins, whether you could remotely mount the RE item or use some generic free-standing pump. If you buy a repro BSA fuel tank from India no-one would be too worried it you modified the base to take the FI pump.

A.

My idea is to bring the frame up to a standard equal to the original 650 frame and use everything RE on it. The stock tank would be suitable with the seam gone, but I'd probably pick up a small vintage RE repro from India like you were saying.

My best bud and now gone riding partner from my youth had an Atlas we pulled the motor from and stuffed a stroked Knuckle motor into. I don't recall us needing to cut anything to do it either  ;D  It was a total blast to ride and attention getter everywhere we went!
Guy
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #52 on: December 27, 2019, 05:44:58 pm
but I'd probably pick up a small vintage RE repro from India like you were saying.

This is more what I had in mind. If our Indian friends have got their measurements right, this being intended for a BSA should fit straight onto your BSA frame with no having to improvise brackets, etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-BSA-Gold-Star-Scrambles-Catalina-2-Gallon-Blue-Painted-Chrome-Petrol-Tank/133185635249?epid=1078292594&hash=item1f027b83b1:g:WiUAAOSwt6ZWUALV

You might of course be able to find an original in a swap meet near you.  Then you'd just need to cast up some custom 4" round RE badges for it.

That featherbed HDs sounds like fun, did any photos of it survive?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #53 on: December 28, 2019, 02:15:33 pm
This is more what I had in mind. If our Indian friends have got their measurements right, this being intended for a BSA should fit straight onto your BSA frame with no having to improvise brackets, etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-BSA-Gold-Star-Scrambles-Catalina-2-Gallon-Blue-Painted-Chrome-Petrol-Tank/133185635249?epid=1078292594&hash=item1f027b83b1:g:WiUAAOSwt6ZWUALV

You might of course be able to find an original in a swap meet near you.  Then you'd just need to cast up some custom 4" round RE badges for it.

That featherbed HDs sounds like fun, did any photos of it survive?

A.

That's nice!.. think I want something a bit different but still recognizable Royal Enfield though, a sectioned Himalayan tank perhaps! could be kinda cool

My bud and a girl were killed on that bike late 69. He ran it into a concrete island after dark at a pretty good clip. I know back then neither him or I owned a camera,
There was this hippie chick who took pictures of everything and she would probably be the only person I can think of would. Lost track of her long ago though.

Funny, we tried getting a Pan motor into it first but gave up and went to the pub. Later that night we met this old guy who was looking to sell a stroked Knuck motor cheap. I think it was had for the tidy sum of $35.00. Those were the days
Guy
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning