Author Topic: Super cool l'll Enfield  (Read 8851 times)

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Guy
19 Conti GT in Dr Mayhem paint 08/24/2019
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 06:15:02 pm
It was.

Now it looks like shit.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 06:23:18 pm by grumbern »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 07:29:37 pm
Not a very sympathetic restoration or "restomod" at all.  :(

He claimed that the running gear modifications were done to correct the original RE deficiencies, which are what, precisely?

I'm in no position to criticize putting a disk front end on a Redditch frame, though at least my big head Bullet's forks are RE(india) all the way. HOWEVER we are still looking at a former classic motorcycle which now sports a butchered frame and total abandonment of the Redditch RE look. including that totally pointless headlamp grill thingy.

Note to Mike Flanagan - PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS TO YOUR METEOR MINOR.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 07:49:55 pm
It was.

Now it looks like shit.
I couldn't have put it better myself.

Frank

Mike flanagan

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 09:45:48 pm
Haha,dont worry,im past that.Keep them real!

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 08:38:28 am
He claimed that the running gear modifications were done to correct the original RE deficiencies, which are what, precisely?

Cut the frame and added some bad fitting parts, that are welded as badly. Now you can't remove the seat and rear mudguard with the subframe, just by losening two bolts. Much better, I suppose! ::)
The Exhaust pipes look so bad I can't put it in words and the muffler is some modern nonsense that doesn't fit at all. Well, it's in one line with the indicators, modern instruments and tank logo, that is soooooo well designed. Oh, wait, that was just the two stripes...

EnfieldGuy

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 05:37:10 pm
Obviously far from original and probably not the route I would personally go down, but it does give a bit of a modern twist to an old RE! Its good to get another one back on the road I say ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 05:42:40 pm by EnfieldGuy »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 06:45:44 pm
So does a classic Royal Enfield NEED a modern twist? I can see the reason for a front disk brake, but if a genuine and largely complete old bike has survived this long, shouldn't it rather be restored?

Meanwhile our friend Bullet Whisperer has posted this about the bike on the MBR forum

Unless he has fitted an automatic tensioner, that rear chain is either going to be dangerously slack and / or putting immense strain on wheel and gearbox bearings as the suspension moves with those long shocks - check out the angle of the swingarm.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 11:50:35 pm
Some of it looked good to me. Most of it looked bad, IMHO. But that's just me, so to each his own.  ::)
I must agree with the butchering of the frame and horrid welds. Never thought about the effect of the longer shocks on the chain and sprockets.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

EnfieldGuy

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 05:42:31 pm
So does a classic Royal Enfield NEED a modern twist? I can see the reason for a front disk brake, but if a genuine and largely complete old bike has survived this long, shouldn't it rather be restored?

A.

Of course, if the bike was original and complete before hand, I would most certainly prefer to see it restored/rebuilt to its original format, and it would be a real shame to see it pulled apart after being together for so many years. But, if something like that started out as a bit of state missing a lot of key components, I would rather see it built into something that sees the road again and can be enjoyed by someone, rather than the bike becoming a never ending project that goes on for many years and ends up unfinished.

Just to mention, I didn't see the condition of this bike before it was "rebuilt" to how it stands now.

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 07:50:18 pm
Of course, if the bike was original and complete before hand, I would most certainly prefer to see it restored/rebuilt to its original format, and it would be a real shame to see it pulled apart after being together for so many years. But, if something like that started out as a bit of state missing a lot of key components, I would rather see it built into something that sees the road again and can be enjoyed by someone, rather than the bike becoming a never ending project that goes on for many years and ends up unfinished.

Just to mention, I didn't see the condition of this bike before it was "rebuilt" to how it stands now.

https://youtu.be/z-J3EmWt0hk?t=47
Seemed to be mostly all there, but I guess the builder was wanting something more based off vintage flattrack bikes than a full restoration. He alludes to it being run on the track at a later date.

I was thinking "super cool" for what it actually is, and mostly because they used this particular power plant. One of the better looking vertical twins of all time I think. Love the industrial, purely mechanical look of of it!

Honestly, it reminds me of a father & son project from the early 70s built to a fairly low budget and with limited tools, skill, something intended to be ridden by a 16 year old kid perhaps. Everybody has their own vision, that's what I see.

In frame design that swing arm angle is known as anti-squat geometry and is common to all the modern bikes, (those without shaft drives anyway) and for good reason
Guy
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 10:48:45 pm
The original bike is shown at 45 seconds into the video.

On my windows, if I poke the "K" key it will freeze the action so a person can study it.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 12:57:25 pm
Just so that everyone can see the sort of thing that has been lost, this one (totally unrestored, mostly original, and running!) came up on ebay UK a couple of years ago, fortunately it was bought by a genuine enthusiast who hasn't messed with it at all beyond necessary maintenance. Slightly earlier model with the small panel tank, of course.

Can anybody tell me what is actually wrong with having something like this?

A.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 01:42:11 pm
There's no question which Meteor I'd rather ride. The unmolested one just looks "right" to me, while the modded one looks a bit like some charmless bitsa UJM on it's fourteenth teenage owner. Look, you're free to do whatever you like to your bike--add little florescent streamers to the handlebar grips, piss in the fuel tank, whatever. What sort of baffles me about that build is that the fellow has so little regard--even a repeatedly voiced hatred--for the Royal Enfield marque. I just wonder that he bothered with it at all.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: December 21, 2019, 03:30:50 pm
There's no question which Meteor I'd rather ride. The unmolested one just looks "right" to me, while the modded one looks a bit like some charmless bitsa UJM on it's fourteenth teenage owner. Look, you're free to do whatever you like to your bike--add little florescent streamers to the handlebar grips, piss in the fuel tank, whatever. What sort of baffles me about that build is that the fellow has so little regard--even a repeatedly voiced hatred--for the Royal Enfield marque. I just wonder that he bothered with it at all.

Well, the guy came off as a bit goofy to me anyway. You need a screw loose to not see the beauty in that stock frame!

But I gotta be honest, if said bike were mine I'd toss everything but the engine, trans and frame, pump lots of greenbacks, time and skill into it. Have something I'd be more than satisfied to ride anywhere I chose, even cross country at 80mph  ;D
Guy
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning