Author Topic: Meteor minor 500 upgrades  (Read 3296 times)

Mike flanagan

• Bulleteer
on: December 15, 2019, 11:56:57 pm
Has anyone any knowledge of effective performace upgrades for the 500 sport twin,aka meteor minor? I taking down the motor now.I wouldnt mind a little more power(33hp)respectively.Any practical too?thanks in advance.

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 01:04:42 pm
I dont know about adaptability, but I suppose you could use Connie- or Interceptor-cams, es well as the double manifold of the Connie using two carbs. Higher compression pistons should ad some torque.
Andreas

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 03:50:11 pm
Has anyone any knowledge of effective performace upgrades for the 500 sport twin,aka meteor minor? I taking down the motor now.I wouldnt mind a little more power(33hp)respectively.Any practical too?thanks in advance.

One thing, would be to fit the 700 crank assembly, barrels and pistons... might make a fun project depending on how far you want to go.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 04:59:44 pm
There is probably no one that knows more about the viability of your project than the folks at Hitchcocks Motorcycles. I would encourage you to contact them.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Mike flanagan

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 05:46:22 pm
Yeah,ill be contacting Hitcocks with my list,still tearing down to see whats good.I know engine parts interchage,not sure of the extent.Nothing better than insider knowledge.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 07:59:25 pm
I wouldn't be too hasty about a capacity hike, whether fitting the parts to make it a 700 engine, or even fitting an Interceptor 750 lump in there. There's always the notion that the original 500 twins were much sweeter than the larger ones that followed. A conventional tuning job on that 500 might give you all the fun you want. If not, just buy a Series 1 or 1A Interceptor.

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Mike flanagan

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 03:44:38 pm
Thanks for the heads up,im of your mind on this too.im hoping my crank ,rods and tranny are good,new pistons and a bit of porting,tuning may be the ticket.

Mike flanagan

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 03:50:52 pm
Trying to get the barrels off slowly.Look at these domes on these pistons.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 04:18:40 pm
Those pistons are actually one of the primary tuning mods for a 350 Bullet!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 04:41:38 pm
Roller rockers.
Not cheap, but can be done. Long waiting time involved.

If you prefer no external adjustment ports for more original appearance, it can be done, but a bit more work to adjust the lash because the adjusters are on the pushrod side of the rockers.

It solves the big drawback of low lift on all Enfields, and can significantly improve flow and valve train performance and reliability.

I am the sole source, and they are road proven in a performance 700 twin shown in the photos.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 04:47:54 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Mike flanagan

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 01:46:18 am
That looks like a bit of machinist sorcery.I would have to wonder what a proposed 33 hp twin could obtain hp wise with this setup.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 11:33:18 pm
That looks like a bit of machinist sorcery.I would have to wonder what a proposed 33 hp twin could obtain hp wise with this setup.
It depends on the state of engine tune in terms of port flow, compression, rpm target, etc.
On the 700 Super Meteor we did, 84hp at the engine was estimated with full race tune. The heads ended up on a street bike, so we don't know exactly how much hp it made on that bike. We did get a road report from the owner that it hit over 110mph on the street without any fairing, on pump gas.

Mike flanagan

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 01:28:41 am
Man,thats alot.I would be very happy with high 30's or adout 40.I want to run old style parts,might be the most affordable option.Your rocker tuned head and a little higher compression pistons might get me close to 40.My year model supposedly had better cam(s) than previous.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 03:27:46 am
Man,thats alot.I would be very happy with high 30's or adout 40.I want to run old style parts,might be the most affordable option.Your rocker tuned head and a little higher compression pistons might get me close to 40.My year model supposedly had better cam(s) than previous.
A key factor would be how much flow you can get from your ports and valves. I haven't done any heads from a 500 twin, so I don't know what could be gotten from them for flow.
If you only want 7 hp, you should be able to get that without getting radical mods done. I would suspect that a compression increase, a bit of mild porting, and some Interceptor R cams would probably do it.

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 05:26:56 pm
Roller rockers.
Not cheap, but can be done. Long waiting time involved.

If you prefer no external adjustment ports for more original appearance, it can be done, but a bit more work to adjust the lash because the adjusters are on the pushrod side of the rockers.

It solves the big drawback of low lift on all Enfields, and can significantly improve flow and valve train performance and reliability.

I am the sole source, and they are road proven in a performance 700 twin shown in the photos.

Very nice upgrade by the looks of it, the access points appear to be integrated really nicely into the heads with the setup 👌