Author Topic: Givi panniers for the INT 650 - any opinions?  (Read 15459 times)

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
on: November 26, 2019, 06:05:58 pm
Conveniently available from our site sponsor: http://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/luggage/40619?whence=

Does anyone have these installed? They don't look half-bad to me, but I know feelings differ. I like the idea of hard cases and a frame instead of soft saggy cases. And the photos show plenty of clearance with respect to the high pipes.
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 07:04:02 pm
They look ok. I use Hepco & Becker Junior hard cases on one of my bikes. They need indicators relocating. The Givi version doesn't and looks better for that. Are the frames easy to remove when you want the 'natural' look?

Tuchulcha

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 10:50:44 pm
They don't look bad.  For me, I think a different type of bag (leather) would look better with the lines of the bike being more of a cruiser/cafe racer. 

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 04:54:07 pm
They look ok. I use Hepco & Becker Junior hard cases on one of my bikes. They need indicators relocating. The Givi version doesn't and looks better for that. Are the frames easy to remove when you want the 'natural' look?

I imagine if you don't Threadloc the bolts you could remove the frames easy enough, but I don't think the frames themselves are TOO intrusive. Definitely ruins the natural look, though. But I've got a flyscreen on mine now so it's admittedly already a bit altered....
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 11:16:26 pm
brackets/givis should be available here (U.S.) soon, possibly they are now, at least by spring. I already have givis e21, e22 etc. for other bikes (DR650, DL650) so I'll be looking for them though I still need to buy an interceptor first. 
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where

past machines: BSA Lightning, HD FX1200, 75/6 BMW, 90/6, R80RT, R100RT, K75S, current machines: DR650, DL650.

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 02:35:22 am
I don't think they look BAD, but they don't exactly "fit the bike" and it looks like a passenger wouldn't have good access to the passenger pegs.
I think leather-look bags fit the bike much better.  But on the other hand they aren't as water-tight as these.
I suppose it's all subective, depending on what you like.
Here are my leather-look bags on my Interceptor.  I don't ride in the rain any longer than to get under shelter, and always pack water-sensitive things like clothes in plastic garbage bags inside the saddle bags just in case.  It took some serious searching and a bit of resourefulness to find pannier mounts that would work with my bags and to slightly modify them to do the same.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 02:39:38 am by jimku »
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 09:45:56 am
Sorry, but the Road King look doesn't work for me. The Givis look a bit more like the retro Craven panniers of the 60s. For m, the naked look is the best though, an attractive bike straight from the factory.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 11:49:37 am
Sorry, but the Road King look doesn't work for me. The Givis look a bit more like the retro Craven panniers of the 60s. For m, the naked look is the best though, an attractive bike straight from the factory.

Agree with Ove on the looks of the stock bike, but if you want to do some light touring or grocery shopping, which I do sometimes on my Classic 500, you need luggage. Get a luggage rack and throw on a backpack and hit the road!
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 02:47:16 pm
A necessity for extra gear/tools/tubes/water/camping etc. Givis work well as there are a few different models of bags which can fit the brackets. Nice to have your stuff protected/locked and secure when off the bike. Plus they are quickly removable.
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where

past machines: BSA Lightning, HD FX1200, 75/6 BMW, 90/6, R80RT, R100RT, K75S, current machines: DR650, DL650.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 09:56:27 pm
I like them but last night I was getting tired of the round the world tour look so I pulled all of it. Bags, rack, tailbag.

hadujorganic

• Grease Monkey
  • Bethesda, MD, USA
Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 11:49:09 am
I like them but last night I was getting tired of the round the world tour look so I pulled all of it. Bags, rack, tailbag.

Looks like a police cruiser :)
Bethesda, MD  "Home Of Its Residents"

2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2021 SYM Fiddle III 200i
2019 Trek Checkpoint
1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 01:34:56 am
Any opinions? Well then here's mine.
The Givi bags are ugly and look like they don't belong on the Int.
They sit too high and make swinging a leg over the seat a chore.
They look huge but when you open them you realize how small they really are.
They are well built and the frames that Hitchcock's made are well built and fit flawlessly using 3 existing bolts on each side of the bike.
They lock.
They are fairly waterproof.
So, aside from being ugly and too high they were everything I was looking for in some bags so that's why I put em on my bike.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 07:46:58 am
Nice photo.

I disagree. They're not ugly. The lines are OK and they look quite 'retro'. The lid join lines with the saddle nicely and the line of the base disects the horizontal and the line of the silencer quite nicely too.

Naked bike looks better though. Chrome tank is very elegant.

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 01:12:09 pm
The naked bike might look better, but in my world a naked bike is totally impractical.  No place to carry ANYthing.  Cars would look better without roofs too.  I would look better without my face.  These look a heck of a lot better than those rectangular boxes they hang on the Himalayan and BMWs like an afterthought.  An I have yet to see any kind of throw-over bags that don't look like hell.

As mentioned above, some may not care for the "Road King" leather look of my bike.  BUT.  The pannier mounts that I used can easily accommodate literally ANY hard shell bags on the market, fiberglass, molded plastic, whatever.  I cut the bottom "shelf" off of them, and cut off the mounting tab for the top shock bolt that is not needed.  Just the two mounting points on each side, one to the rear grab-rail bolt and one to the mount for the exhaust pipe are all that are actually needed.  The bent tubing that goes around the rear fender to join the two halves is not needed (I used it, but it is not needed). 
That leaves a nice, rock-solid, flat surface to mount ANY bags to.  Pics below are just a few ideas.
https://royalspares.com/products/brand-new-royal-enfield-interceptor-650cc-saddle-bag-carrier-pannier-mounting-set
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 02:00:46 pm by jimku »
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: December 27, 2019, 02:17:26 pm
The naked bike might look better, but in my world a naked bike is totally impractical.  No place to carry ANYthing.  Cars would look better without roofs too.  I would look better without my face.  These look a heck of a lot better than those rectangular boxes they hang on the Himalayan and BMWs like an afterthought.  An I have yet to see any kind of throw-over bags that don't look like hell.

As mentioned above, some may not care for the "Road King" leather look of my bike.  BUT.  The pannier mounts that I used can easily accommodate literally ANY hard shell bags on the market, fiberglass, molded plastic, whatever.  I cut the bottom "shelf" off of them, and cut off the mounting tab for the top shock bolt that is not needed.  Just the two mounting points on each side, one to the rear grab-rail bolt and one to the mount for the exhaust pipe are all that are actually needed.  The bent tubing that goes around the rear fender to join the two halves is not needed (I used it, but it is not needed). 
That leaves a nice, rock-solid, flat surface to mount ANY bags to.  Pics below are just a few ideas.
https://royalspares.com/products/brand-new-royal-enfield-interceptor-650cc-saddle-bag-carrier-pannier-mounting-set

I agree with the naked bike being impractical. My continental GT 650 is my first bike and I bought it relatively late in the riding season here (northeast US). Even for the couple months I had it on the road I found myself wanting something to carry small stuff like an extra sweatshirt, jacket, a bottle of water, or even a notepad and book for when I rode it to meetings. I got by with a backpack, but didn’t really like carrying it around when I got to my destination.

So. For next season I already have my eye on a couple options. Number one would be the bags made by Malle. Saw them in a video by Stuart Filligan. They are definitely pricey but I think the look of them fits the bike, and I like that you can have only one pannier mounted at a time.
https://mallelondon.com/product/malle-moto-pannier/