aboard

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Wanted / Re: WANTED: Rear Tail Light and Turn Signals
« Last post by tooseevee on Today at 09:47:38 am »

I have to tell you, a Bella's not like all those other "twitchy" handling scooters. If you're happy thumping along on an old "iron belly" 500 or 350, you'll soon be right at home on a Bella. Handles like a real motorcycle,

For some reason I can't quote your original post so I'll do this one.

Back when I was a very young, fatherless whippersnapper (I was 11 in 1949) along with being raised by a M/C of ex- and active military guys I was madly mailing away every month for EVERY brochure in every Pop Mech and Mech Illustrated for ANthing that had an engine and two wheels. Along with the harleys that were in my yard every day I was constantly perusing and analyzing brochures that came in the mail of every kind of two-wheeled thing that was out there all through the '50s. The exploded and cutaway drawings of those days were fascinating to me and I would spend hours staring at these pictures trying to figure out what was what.

I spent hours looking at the Zundapp Bella brochures. I can still remember how much cooler I thought they were than the ubiquitous Vespa and it had a bigger engine IIRC.

One of Oasis' LP albums has a Bella on the cover. It belonged to one of the band members.

So along with being imprinted on harleys at 11 like one of Konrad Lorenz' geese I also had a very strong impression of all the European bikes; bikes nobody ever heard of now. This is azackly why I finally ended up owning an '08 Enfield in 2010 at 72 y.o.. I became totally obsessed with owning one after seeing my best friend's girlfriend on a brand new 2004. It looked azactly like those bikes I stared at for years in the brochures in the early '50s. I didn't believe either one of them when they told me it was brand new.

Anyway. I have the OEM taillight assy. and directionals if you want them.
Continental GT Cafe Racer / Re: Engine swap
« Last post by ace.cafe on Today at 09:12:30 am »
Nice. Too bad the XS650 is almost unaffordable now. I just saw a Himalayan with a KTM RC390 transplant. That's a big power increase. Too bad it's a sucky engine with no grunt and sounds like a Briggs & Stratton.

At the risk of sounding self-serving, there are mods for the GT535(from 3 different sources, not just me) which can provide peak hp about the same as a KTM 390 Duke and still offer plenty of torquey grunt down low.

The reason that these smaller displacement lumps are weak down low is because they have inherently lower torque from their smaller displacement. They get their higher hp figures by revving that smaller tq to higher rpms, where the smaller tq gets multiplied by enough rpms to be strong in the upper revs.

Hp = tq x rpm/5252.
Simple as that. If you have low tq, just rev it to the moon to get your hp.

However, this is why people lament that kind of power curve as "no grunt".

The 535 has some grunt from tq, but it needs some revs for more hp. That's what we modders are giving it.

It doesn't need an engine swap.
Bullet with the UCE engine / Re: Stumped
« Last post by heloego on Today at 08:03:14 am »
   Parts came in late yesterday. Definitely more than I'll actually need, but the extra can go into stock.  ;)
   10 days from order to receipt. Still not bad at all, especially since Tim advised me the NIS parts could have a lead time of 21 days to arrive. I assumed they'd probably have to get them from India, but everything received from our hosts in good order as usual.  :)
   Only have a couple days to play so we'll see how far I get into it today and tomorrow before I have to go back to work for a week.
A common cause of this issue on older UCE bikes was a faulty sidestand nanny cutout switch which would intermittently cut the ignition power when the engine vibrated resulting in fouled plugs and missing.

The solution back then was to disconnect the sidestand cutout switch and remember to always put the side stand up.

Thanks GlennF, Arizoni explained how to do it, and yes, it has cut out entirely twice while riding, and putting it down and up got it running again. Not cool when it cuts out when cruising at 50mph.
9fingers
Life's little surprises.  Make sure you get the NGK 7131.  WRT to cap and wire, there are many suggestions here on replacing it.  I think a 7mm wire with a straight boot is best.  I used 8.5mm wire with short right-angle boot because that's what I had on hand.  Works fine but isn't tucked away like I prefer.

Thanks Bert, I will order the cap and get a new plug since I ruined the first one I bought trying to unscrew the end........I haven't bought a new plug in many years and in the old days they unscrewed!
« Last post by gizzo on Today at 04:30:05 am »
Nice. Too bad the XS650 is almost unaffordable now. I just saw a Himalayan with a KTM RC390 transplant. That's a big power increase. Too bad it's a sucky engine with no grunt and sounds like a Briggs & Stratton.
Bullet with the UCE engine / Re: What Gasoline do you use?
« Last post by Scotty Brown on Today at 01:22:29 am »
87 octane ethanol since new.  Now over 16,000 miles.  I do add a bit of sta-bil and marvel Mystery oil from time to time.  Never have had a problem.  Fuel without ethanol almost impossible to find here in Kalifornia.  My C5 is so forgiving it would probably run on Chicken fat.
Bullet with the UCE engine / Re: Went for my first ride but now have a misfire
« Last post by GlennF on Yesterday at 11:46:01 pm »
A common cause of this issue on older UCE bikes was a faulty sidestand nanny cutout switch which would intermittently cut the ignition power when the engine vibrated resulting in fouled plugs and missing.

The solution back then was to disconnect the sidestand cutout switch and remember to always put the side stand up.
« Last post by gizzo on Yesterday at 11:09:08 pm »
That's a GOOD idea.  8)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10