Author Topic: 150 Rear Tire Update  (Read 2858 times)

Coywolf1

• Scooter
Reply #30 on: September 20, 2023, 11:08:35 pm
Just a fun fact I failed to mention:
The bike had roughly 200 miles on it prior to removing the stock tires. So I went from new tires to new tires.

The consensus seems to be some say better tires take away the wiggles, some say it's the nature of the bike.

All I know (and application is important) is the bike feels good to me. Does it turn in as quick? Doubtful, but I'll sacrifice a little slower steering for a more planted feel. Again, application. I have no desire to prove anything on this bike other than it is a blast to ride. If that planted feel is imaginary, well....if you say so.

Regardless of the rear being 14mm taller, I haven't and still don't notice and twitchiness or wiggles.
2000 miles later and the bike feels consistent. I have no idea what the wear life is on these tires. I know I was running Michelin Pilot Powers and Dunlop Q3s on my sport bikes. I recall 3000+ miles was about the limit for them. I would imagine this 150 is probably the 4000+ range.

I still have the stock Ceat tires if anyone that's a fan wants them. I will give you a very reasonable price.

Not surprised that your bike feels planted, more stable and etc .  I’ve don’t similar changes to rear tire size and shock length .   Your set up should work fine.   Sure , you might have shorted your trail a bit ?   But your still good at roughly 3.5 inches .  But you’ve ALSO lifted your bike up , and forward .  You shifted the weight of you , and your frame and your Engine forward .  This will give you a wider contact patch on the front tire as well … at the same tire pressure .   Because you are part of the frame, as you are riding the bike.. you are  tying the two separate front and rear frames together better .   

For good information on frame geometry and etc .  Look up Tony  Foale if your interested.

kikdrum18

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: September 20, 2023, 11:18:05 pm
  For good information on frame geometry and etc .  Look up Tony  Foale if your interested.

Will do, thanks!
2022 Dux Deluxe Continental GT 650
2021 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #32 on: September 21, 2023, 12:05:41 am
   Not surprised that your bike feels planted, more stable and etc .  I’ve don’t similar changes to rear tire size and shock length .   Your set up should work fine.   Sure , you might have shorted your trail a bit ?   But your still good at roughly 3.5 inches .  But you’ve ALSO lifted your bike up , and forward .  You shifted the weight of you , and your frame and your Engine forward .  This will give you a wider contact patch on the front tire as well … at the same tire pressure .   Because you are part of the frame, as you are riding the bike.. you are  tying the two separate front and rear frames together better .   

Everyone would likely enjoy knowing more about him. He was around the New England race scene for some of the more formative years. He was a major contributor to the thought pool. He has a very effective way of explaining things. The hardware we use has changed a little but the laws of physics and geometry are very much still the same.
https://motochassis.com/
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Coywolf1

• Scooter
Reply #33 on: September 21, 2023, 12:36:01 am
Will do, thanks!

Your particular set up , may be more beneficial to say … a liter rider , who sits up straight , like you would on a Interceptor I think  .    For a GT rider , maybe not as much .  Because of the different riding positions. A GT rider , with the low bars , puts more weight on the front end .  That’s a stabilizing effect .  Look at the geometry of sport bikes …. Short rake and trail ,  VERY stiff frames !  Fat tires , High HP . And etc .   Look at THEIR riding position . Stabile and nibble at high speed .    Not and exact apples for apples comparison !  But … the principals are the same . 

Everyone would likely enjoy knowing more about him. He was around the New England race scene for some of the more formative years. He was a major contributor to the thought pool. He has a very effective way of explaining things. The hardware we use has changed a little but the laws of physics and geometry are very much still the same.
https://motochassis.com/

+1.   I learned a LOT reading his stuff ! 

Racer57

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: September 21, 2023, 04:26:55 am
I had always found the stock sizes good enough, and I've had on two sets of Michelin's, Pilot Activ and Street Classic, and a set of BT46's, all of which were fine and all of which were a quantum leap better than the OEM Pirelli's.

However this time I wanted to try radial tires which tend to be more supple in construction and I was hoping for better corner feedback. I found that Bridgestone made T32's in sizes I could fit, 110/80 in the front, which is wider but lower profile than stock and works out to be about the same radius, and 140/70 in the rear, which is a bit wider and with the same aspect ratio as stock and hence about 5mm taller than stock.

Turn in felt a bit sluggish at first, but in reality after a few miles I didn't notice, but cornering feel is much different, and I do feel more planted in high speed sweepers. It holds the line through the corner without any tendency to drift or squirm that I sometimes felt with the bias construction.

Also, the profile seems to be different enough so that I'm not going to the edge of the front tire as much in corners and feel like I have a bit more tread in reserve. My chicken strips are wider, but I feel safer, and bottom line, that's what it's all about.

And as a bonus, they are fantastic in the rain.

I have the stock tires with 1,300 miles on them and have had the bike up to 100mph without any issues. But when the rear needs replaced, I might go to a 140 rear. I have no illusions of being the next Nicky Hayden and where I live the only high speed curves I'm on is the on/off ramps of Interstates. :D

Red Rider

• Scooter
Reply #35 on: October 07, 2023, 11:04:06 pm
I’m on Motoz tractionator GPS tires.
150 rear.
Handles very well on the street (not many twisty roads in Oklahoma) and surprisingly well in the dirt.

I never had issues with the ride on stock tires, but I also had the dealer install YSS suspension front and rear. To me it’s always seemed excellent lol.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 11:08:11 pm by Red Rider »
2022 Interceptor 650 “Traveler”
2023 Classic 350 “Rocinante”

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: October 08, 2023, 05:22:25 am
I’m on Motoz tractionator GPS tires.
150 rear.
Handles very well on the street (not many twisty roads in Oklahoma) and surprisingly well in the dirt.

I never had issues with the ride on stock tires, but I also had the dealer install YSS suspension front and rear. To me it’s always seemed excellent lol.

Have you never been to the southeast in the Ouchitas?

2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

Red Rider

• Scooter
Reply #37 on: October 09, 2023, 03:13:37 am
Have you never been to the southeast in the Ouchitas?

Were it not for the trees around my house would be able to see them from my back porch.

I only really know the area that’s in the wildlife preserve adjacent to Cache and Medicine Park.
I’m somewhat hesitant to ride through there due to the free range cattle and bison but my dad and I are planning on doing a day trip to moto through there.

You’re right though it’s about as twisty as I know of out here.
2022 Interceptor 650 “Traveler”
2023 Classic 350 “Rocinante”

agagliardi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: October 11, 2023, 05:43:46 pm
Sounds like heaven! Extra painful for us city dwellers.
1988 Super Magna(Disabled), 2000 Harley Softail, 2004 Hayabusa, 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor, 2004 Corvette, 2019 Indian scout

Ton1959

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: October 11, 2023, 06:01:36 pm
I associate fat tires with cruisers and modern sport bikes. I bought my Interceptor because it was neither.

If you like the look, go for it. But rim size should be the limiting factor.

I also went with stock sized BT46s. A huge improvement over OEM. Until I let the front tire wear down to the wear bars. It now shakes violently if I let go of the bars. (They're currently backordered).

I like my Bridgestones and indeed a big upgrade from the Ceat tyres. After 12000km not even down to the wear bars they do get al lot worse  though. You can see that the tyres are cupping. They are also beginning to behave more like the Ceat tyres now when you hit grooves in the road. I am not complaining though as 12000km is very good for a pair of tyres. I also find that the front tyre is usually the biggest improvement when you replace it. The rear tyre doesnt really give the wow effect when you replace it.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: October 11, 2023, 06:32:32 pm
I like my Bridgestones and indeed a big upgrade from the Ceat tyres. After 12000km not even down to the wear bars they do get al lot worse  though. You can see that the tyres are cupping. They are also beginning to behave more like the Ceat tyres now when you hit grooves in the road. I am not complaining though as 12000km is very good for a pair of tyres. I also find that the front tyre is usually the biggest improvement when you replace it. The rear tyre doesnt really give the wow effect when you replace it.

Changing to BT46 tires were the single most significant upgrade I’ve made yo my bike.
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

Beeza

• Bulleteer
Reply #41 on: October 11, 2023, 07:11:42 pm
Changing to BT46 tires were the single most significant upgrade I’ve made yo my bike.

I just went to BT46 and am highly impressed. Granted, this is on a GT535, but it’s the same chassis and wheels. I went to a 120/80 rear which is the same diameter as a 130/70 but considerably narrower, as the typical 130 is actually 135 for some unfathomable reason. It’s now completely neutral at lean, so it tracks better through bumpy corners, of which there are plenty around here.

I was always an Avon and Pirelli guy but Bridgestone are so good at what they do.

Landisr

• Scooter
Reply #42 on: October 13, 2023, 03:27:18 pm

For comparison, how many kms did you get out of your Ceat tires?

Ron in AZ
I don't know about an inner child, but I have an inner idiot that surfaces every now and then.

jackthebiker

• Bulleteer
Reply #43 on: October 13, 2023, 04:59:31 pm

Based on your recommendation, and some others, I just ordered a set of BT46s for me 22 RE 650 INT. $265.59 shipped from Dennis Kirk, and then a $50 rebate from Bridgestone, $215.59 for the set.  Thanks!
48 motorcycles purchased in my life from 12 different brands. Currently own a 2022 Royal Enfield 650 INT and a 2022 Kawasaki W800.

Ton1959

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: October 14, 2023, 05:30:27 pm
For comparison, how many kms did you get out of your Ceat tires?

Ron in AZ
The \ceat tyres found a nice place in the skip after 2000km. That is the best place for them. Recycle them do what you want with them.