Author Topic: *&$%#!! Battery  (Read 1047 times)

ATXConti650

• Piltdowne Mann - Old Fart - New Bike
  • Bulleteer
on: September 17, 2020, 11:58:28 pm
Had my battery out for the second time, which is something of a pain. Seems I did not recall just how much more trouble it is to get back in. Suggestions on how to get it wired back up and stuffed into that space would be fun. Negative cable in or out of the battery holder? Replace it with a smaller battery of equal capacity? Only perform the task on full moon nights when wind is calm and the neighborhood fox has stopped calling?
2019 Continental GT 650 Black Magic, 1979 Kreidler M19, 1953 Kreidler K50, 2013 Suzuki Savage 650 Single Cylinder Thumper

Returned to New BMW

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 07:49:57 am
May I ask are you removing your battery to charge it? If this is the reason then as I have done on every bike I have owned I have fitted or had fitted (BMW’s) a battery tender fly lead (Optimate) and I always plug it in when I get home. The Royal Enfield does have a very complicated method to remove the battery!!

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 11:54:04 am
May I ask are you removing your battery to charge it? If this is the reason then as I have done on every bike I have owned I have fitted or had fitted (BMW’s) a battery tender fly lead (Optimate) and I always plug it in when I get home. The Royal Enfield does have a very complicated method to remove the battery!!

+1

Good advice on ANY bike. A low battery is one of a bike's worst enemies.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 12:11:32 pm
Had my battery out for the second time, which is something of a pain. Seems I did not recall just how much more trouble it is to get back in. Suggestions on how to get it wired back up and stuffed into that space would be fun. Negative cable in or out of the battery holder? Replace it with a smaller battery of equal capacity? Only perform the task on full moon nights when wind is calm and the neighborhood fox has stopped calling?
Not sure if I fully understand your question. If you are asking about the orientation of the battery...
Positive + terminal is forward and to the right side of the bike.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

JettaKnight

• Fort Wayne, IN
  • Grease Monkey
  • USA 2020 650INT
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 03:18:28 pm
            +1

Good advice on ANY bike. A low battery is one of a bike's worst enemies.

Especially with no kickstarter (wait, is there a PC word for that?)

I took out the battery to find a missing nut (no joy), and it takes a while, but I didn't think it was a terrible job.

ATXConti650

• Piltdowne Mann - Old Fart - New Bike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 06:38:45 pm

I was removing the battery to install a charger lead. I guess the process is a hassle and one is to approach it with this in mind. Ooooo ... maybe epoxy a strap on both ends, one for removing and on the other end to help pull it back into place.

Brainstorm!!
2019 Continental GT 650 Black Magic, 1979 Kreidler M19, 1953 Kreidler K50, 2013 Suzuki Savage 650 Single Cylinder Thumper