Author Topic: Tappets Adjustment  (Read 2460 times)

pmperez2014

• Scooter
on: March 19, 2021, 06:43:28 pm
Hi, Is there a way to tell if the tappet inlet is too tight without disassembling ?
Can you tell this just by looking at the mark on the magneto rotor through the inspection hole? Thanks

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 07:16:12 pm
Hi, Is there a way to tell if the tappet inlet is too tight without disassembling ?
Can you tell this just by looking at the mark on the magneto rotor through the inspection hole? Thanks
Sorry but you have to physically measure it. Checking the valve lash entails removing the fuel tank t gain access to the tappet cover, removing the cover etc. Did resealing your air box help?

pmperez2014

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 07:54:30 pm
Ok thanks for your answer.
I still do not solve the air leak because I do not know how to do it.
I do not know how to seal the air box, do I have to disassemble everything or is it enough to remove the side covers and the seat?

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 08:55:12 pm
Ok thanks for your answer.
I still do not solve the air leak because I do not know how to do it.
I do not know how to seal the air box, do I have to disassemble everything or is it enough to remove the side covers and the seat?

The air box is supposed to let air in though the snorkle or air inlet, if you think the airbox is leaking on the engine side, you should be able to get a good look at things by removing the air filter access door and peaking around with a flashlight. You shouldn't have to remove more than the seat and left side cover to get that far, and I'm not positive you have to remove the seat.  I think the owners manual details the operation, you can also find the correct parts page on the Hitchcock's web site which might help.  I wouldn't worry about the valves or anything else until you figure out if you have an air leak.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 09:17:14 pm by zimmemr »

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 09:18:01 pm
God l remember the old brits when they has inspection mirrors you could check your tappets, now its tank off inspection cover off, all on the job time, mind you if you don't do it that valve could burn out you would have a much bigger problem, head off, new valve, gaskets, a great deal of time and labour.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 01:45:45 am

It's obvious you need to get a book that covers motorcycle engines and how they work and maintenance and  then a book that covers the Himalayan engine and the whole bike and do some homework. 

It's not tappet inlet, it's inlet tappet.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

dlapierre

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 04:43:08 pm
It's a simple task, setting the tappets. One of the niceties of the Himalayan is its simplicity. Plus, there are lots of u-tube DYI videos to be found for learning how to do these things of you don't want to follow the manual.

Once you've done it the first time, the next time it'l be really easy.

excollier

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 08:58:29 am
couple of videos on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlM3D6XsYU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV0bJZsPdbE&t=474s

doing my tappets today (oh the memories of doing the tappets on my Triumph Tridents 40 years ago.....painful)
after riding nothing but pure roadbikes since 1979, now I find my self riding a Himalayan and seeking out slow dirt trails instead of fast tarmac....way more fun

Guldner

• Scooter
  • If fossil fuels ain’t used, I ain’t interested.
Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 08:54:09 am
 ;D Is having a gun on the hip optional?  ;D 8)

Joking aside, does anyone know the size of the tapper adjustment square part. The lock nut is 10mm , it’s the square adjuster I don’t know the size of.

I’m looking to buy the correct tool and I can find an array of sizes for the square part.

Have fun stay safe G.
15 mls E of were Steel was invented & 10mls S of Mallard being Built 😎

excollier

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 09:10:03 am
;D Is having a gun on the hip optional?  ;D 8)

Joking aside, does anyone know the size of the tapper adjustment square part. The lock nut is 10mm , it’s the square adjuster I don’t know the size of.

I’m looking to buy the correct tool and I can find an array of sizes for the square part.

Have fun stay safe G.

I saw someone suggest the square socket head woodscrews that electricians use - tried it yesterday and it works perfectly!! Screw it into a piece of wood and you have a very cheap tappet wrench!!

Or you could buy this....

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/tools-engine/38888
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 09:18:07 am by excollier »
after riding nothing but pure roadbikes since 1979, now I find my self riding a Himalayan and seeking out slow dirt trails instead of fast tarmac....way more fun

Guldner

• Scooter
  • If fossil fuels ain’t used, I ain’t interested.
Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 02:54:54 pm
The screw is a very good idea...however the ones I found at work have hexagonal holes  :'( :'(

Thank you for the Hitchcock Link...I had studied it when I was looking for the size of the tapper square section....

Coming from Yorkshire I knew there would be a saving somewhere....and found it...once again thank you for the link 8)

Have fun and stay safe
15 mls E of were Steel was invented & 10mls S of Mallard being Built 😎

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 08:24:53 am
I've been warned that you'll have to grind the Hitchcock's tool down a bit... which is why I didn't feel inclined to spend that much money.

I bought a cheap kit that needed a couple of bits cut off so I could use it with relative ease. The inlet valve is in a shocking location, obviously designed by an engineer who never has to work on these bikes, I reckon simply making the hole around the inlet valve 3mm larger would make all the difference.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

excollier

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 05:28:29 pm
The screw is a very good idea...however the ones I found at work have hexagonal holes  :'( :'(

Thank you for the Hitchcock Link...I had studied it when I was looking for the size of the tapper square section....

Coming from Yorkshire I knew there would be a saving somewhere....and found it...once again thank you for the link 8)

Have fun and stay safe

found this link - those square socket heads are a curse in my house, electricians used them everywhere and can be hard to get out without the proper driver.....my dad was from Yorkshire...

https://squarescrews.co.uk/
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 05:32:36 pm by excollier »