Author Topic: More info on the upcoming cruiser  (Read 2008 times)

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
on: October 16, 2020, 02:44:04 pm
Looks legit (not that I would buy one). Note that it's essentially the 650 Interceptor with a crosier seat and pegs. I do note that this one appears to have upside-down forks, which is interesting as the Twins don't have them. Also note that the article speaks of issues getting the 350 Meteor out the door first. Wonder what's happening there beyond COVID?

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/449186/royal-enfield-kx650-spotted-testing/
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 03:32:40 pm
It's just the 650 engine from the Interceptor/Continental - the frame different, and well as just about everything else.
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 04:38:18 pm
The article seems a bit misleading, what with that KX V-Twin concept bike right up top, revealing below what is clearly just the parallel twin 650 in a cruisery guise.

Not that Royal Enfield's once premier '30s Model KX would enjoy a lot of brand recognition 90 years on, except among cognoscenti, but would Royal Enfield cash in that venerable "KX" moniker just for another iteration of their Harris-designed 650s? Couldn't they instead call it a "Constellation" or after some other model of yore? Or, perhaps the test vehicle just had a 650 slotted into it just for now for testing purposes, while they work out a proper V-Twin motor?

I can't say how the Indian home market might take to cruisers, but with the market here in the States swamped with aging boomers' often fairly pristine low mileage used '90s era "metric" ones nowadays going for "milk money," market segment wise cruisers might be a hard row to hoe here for new offerings.

How Boomer Cruisers Think They Look

How They Actually Look

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 12:11:16 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 10:11:25 pm
I can't say how the Indian home market might take to cruisers, but with the market here in the States swamped with aging boomers'  fairly pristine low mileage used '90s era "metric" ones nowadays going for "milk money," market segment wise cruisers might be a hard row to hoe for new offerings.
I'm betting that RE doesn't even bother with offering this cruiser model to the USA.  After all we didn't get the Thunderbirds nor the Rumbler.  The T'birds sold quite well in India.   Until they were discontinued, those T'Bird cruisers routinely outsold Himalayan and the 650s COMBINED, if I'm not mistaken.

It's a point that takes quite a bit of repeating to be understood by us westerners, RE exports were undertaken as more a matter of creating brand prestige at home, not because export sales represent much income.  Another thing Americans seem to have a hard time understanding, (perhaps not in this forum, but definitely in other general motorcycle forums), is that Indian riders might actually FAVOR their domestic product, as a matter of patriotism, vs. imported Harleys and Triumphs and Hondas, even if they weren't cheaper.

The articles I've read are stacking this expected new RE cruiser offering against the Kawasaki Vulcan S, a 650 cruiser that sells for around 6.8 lahk.
https://www.zigwheels.com/newbikes/Kawasaki/Vulcan-S
When the Harley Street was still available, those were cheaper, at 4.7lahk.
That means this new RE can sell for a considerable price premium over the Int / Conti 650s (now at priced at around 3.1 lahk) and still profoundly undercut the competition.   This is a good spot for RE to be in, market position wise.  Although the US is awash in cruisers, India is quite the opposite.

I don't think that there is much chance that RE will bring that Vee Twin concept engine to market any time soon.  That concept bike they were displaying at IMS shows around the world was little more than a fabricated wooden dummy.  It did generate some hype, though!

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 03:26:11 pm
I'm betting that RE doesn't even bother with offering this cruiser model to the USA.  After all we didn't get the Thunderbirds nor the Rumbler.  The T'birds sold quite well in India.   Until they were discontinued, those T'Bird cruisers routinely outsold Himalayan and the 650s COMBINED, if I'm not mistaken.

It's a point that takes quite a bit of repeating to be understood by us westerners, RE exports were undertaken as more a matter of creating brand prestige at home, not because export sales represent much income.  Another thing Americans seem to have a hard time understanding, (perhaps not in this forum, but definitely in other general motorcycle forums), is that Indian riders might actually FAVOR their domestic product, as a matter of patriotism, vs. imported Harleys and Triumphs and Hondas, even if they weren't cheaper.

The articles I've read are stacking this expected new RE cruiser offering against the Kawasaki Vulcan S, a 650 cruiser that sells for around 6.8 lahk.
That means this new RE can sell for a considerable price premium over the Int / Conti 650s (now at priced at around 3.1 lahk) and still profoundly undercut the competition.   This is a good spot for RE to be in, market position wise.  Although the US is awash in cruisers, India is quite the opposite.

I don't think that there is much chance that RE will bring that Vee Twin concept engine to market any time soon.  That concept bike they were displaying at IMS shows around the world was little more than a fabricated wooden dummy.  It did generate some hype, though!

Excellent point about bringing to the US. I think there's a market for them at the beginner level, to compete against the Rebels and the like. But is it worth it to RE? Time will tell.

And yes I should have linked to this article instead of the one I posted: https://www.zigwheels.com/news-features/news/royal-enfield-650cc-cruiser-launch-price-and-details-of-concept-kx-production-version/40058/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Orgnic&utm_campaign=Post_6&utm_term=15102020ZW&utm_content=royal-enfield-650cc-cruiser-launch-price-and-details-of-concept-kx-production-version
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 11:41:15 am

I disagree I think the 650 twin cruiser and the KX 838 will be a world marketed bike and will be available in the USA when ready.  Personally when available I will buy one of each.
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

Draxonfly

• Captain
  • Neophyte
Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 08:30:15 pm
Oooo... I want one!!