Author Topic: 1998 350cc Bullet for Sale--Herndon, Virginia, Asking $2,200  (Read 1684 times)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
I only mention it because 350s don't come up all that often, but there's a nice enough looking "Enfield" (sans "Royal") that just popped up on our local Craigslist at https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/d/herndon-royal-enfield-350cc-1998/7259804269.html.

For posterity's sake, here's the ad with a few attached photos:

1998 Royal Enfield
350cc
4 speed transmission
Kick start only

One of the rare years where the tank said “Enfield” and and not “Royal Enfield”

No issues. Recent oil and filter change.

The battery is on the last leg, and would need to be replaced before actual riding

The odometer isn’t accurate. I don’t have the actual mileage and the title matches to say so.

It’s an old bike, and shows as one.

Firm on price

I do not need help selling it - please don’t waste time with silly prepositions

So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 04:20:09 pm
I must ask our esteemed linguist, professor Bilgemaster which prepositions aren't silly?
Lurker on a Vespa

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 06:54:09 pm
I must ask our esteemed linguist, professor Bilgemaster which prepositions aren't silly?

Yeah...I noticed that too. But I've become a lot Iess judgemental since my own spell checker started taking that short bus to school. Getting back to the matter at hand, "betwixt" isn't silly at all, as in: "Might there be some compromise betwixt your asking price and the bottom-feeding low-ball insult I'm about to proffer?"

As for "dangling prepositions" the handy cudgel of Grammar Nazis everywhere, I offer this:

A mechanic drops his exceptionally bright daughter off at Harvard for her first day of college. As he tries to find his way off campus, he realizes he needs to use the restroom, so he asks a passing student, “Excuse me, but do you know where the nearest restroom is at?” The student replies, “Sir, at Harvard we never end a sentence with a preposition.” The mechanic replies, “Oh, my mistake. Where’s the restroom at, asshole?”
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 06:56:46 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 11:34:45 pm
I think he meant propositions. Maybe
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 02:06:27 pm
A preposition is a bad word to end a sentence with.

My late second wife used to ask "Where's that to?" which I think is a Southampton-ism for anyone in the UK.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 05:18:00 pm
A preposition is a bad word to end a sentence with.

My late second wife used to ask "Where's that to?" which I think is a Southampton-ism for anyone in the UK.

A.

Southampton's near enough to the West Country, where "Where's that to?" instead of "Where's that at?" might commonly be heard, that I'd expect some dialectical drift eastward. Using "to" as a preposition of fixed location sounds like an Anglo-Saxon fossil from the days of King Alfred the Great, akin to the Modern German "zu", as in "zu Hause" (= "at home") or "zu Berlin" (= "in Berlin" or "of Berlin"). The West Country dialect(s) still have lots of these embedded "Germanisms", as shown here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Country_English.

"West Country speech" would probably be most recognizable to my fellow countrymen as "Pirate Talk", as commemorated every September 19th (see: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Talk_Like_a_Pirate_Day). One would have thought September 19th might commemorate a famous pirate like Blackbeard's birthday (aka. Edward Teach, a West Country native of Bristol), but it turns out it was one of the holiday's founder's ex-wife's birthday. So, one imagines she must have rogered him good and proper from bowsprit to spanker beam in the divorce settlement. Ahhrrrr! Booty!

As for German prepositional fossils in American English, you'll find a few of those too, albeit later arrivals. German speakers were the largest single immigrant group to our shores throughout the 19th Century, and they packed along a few oddities for the trip. "Waiting on" something or someone instead of "waiting for" them is one example, as in the Stones' famous tune. This comes from the proper Modern German "ich warte auf" (= "I'm waiting on", or more properly, "I'm waiting for"). I'm sure the predominantly Spanish-speaking newcomers of the present day are already bringing along their own linguistic baubles. English is already a mongrel language, so this is just as it should be. For example, "I think on" instead of "I think of" or "I think about" may have roots in either Spanish ("pensar en" or "pensar de"), or perhaps the German ("aufdenken") in some cases.

One other odd example of prepositional "mismatch" that has recently caught my attention in common local usage here in Northern Virginia is "on accident" instead of "by accident". I've even heard my kid saying it. My hunch is it may just be some direct structural carryover from the proper "on purpose" and not some foreign import.

Well, enough dissertationing. I've got to get my outfit "on the ready"...

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 09:55:03 pm
Ah-harr! My now green-passported sister and her husband moved to Williamsburg VA some years ago. Went to see them in 2008. The ensuing visit to colonial Williamsburg included being allowed to sit in the same jail cell where Blackbeard's crew were locked up. Then on to happier things in modern Williamsburg, namely the Trellis Cafe where they invented Death By Chocolate, and yes, it was still on the menu. It would have been rude not to try it.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...