Author Topic: What did you do to your RE Continental GT today?  (Read 391076 times)

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1050 on: August 01, 2020, 11:17:58 am
The flying around chips could have sized the piston too from the bottom end. That is up to speculation, I am rather sure though that the big end bearing was not the fittest. Maybe the bearing itself might be ok, but who may know which indian high tech company machined the race in the conrod. Anyway I couldn't care less, there is no warranty on the bike anyway.

But it was more important to put a silly ABS on it instead.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 11:21:32 am by Joe_535i »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1051 on: August 01, 2020, 02:11:53 pm
The piston failure. Why it should size i don't know. Gap was pretty big, about 0,1mm...don't have the exact material specs though.

I know why.
The piston/cylinder clearance was not big enough for a forged piston.
Forged pistons are denser material which causes more thermal expansion than cast pistons. Also, some cast pistons have silicon content in the alloy which reduces thermal expansion.

Bottom line:
You need more piston/cylinder clearance than 0.1mm.
Without actually measuring the piston, it is hard to say exactly how much, but my experiences with forged pistons in the 535 show need for at least .005", and maybe even .0055".
But if you go too much, it will have some piston slap on cold starting, which isn't really harmful, but sounds bad.
Most of the time, .006" clearance is too much and might slap.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 02:18:18 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1052 on: August 01, 2020, 02:19:18 pm
It's extremely difficult to get good data for aftermarket pistons, I took the risk without doing any further investigations to it and I would not recommend it to anyone unless it's from a reputable source and verified to work in the engine it is intended for. The flat top was good for only about 0,5 horses. And the higher compression reduced the idle stability.

Almost certainly ACE is correct on the gap.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 02:40:48 pm by Joe_535i »

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1053 on: September 03, 2020, 08:56:12 am
Had to make an when needed easy to remove muffler as the fixed one was too static and had some issues with thermal expansion. Now the whole thing looks bit like a 2 stroke exhaust.  ::)

Nevertheless it's pretty optimal and serves the need.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1054 on: September 11, 2020, 05:24:28 am
Today my GT started puking oil from the head/barrel joint. I can't complain too much: I've had the head off twice and reused the original gasket both times. Of course the Enfield spares place in my town doesn't have a gallery in stock so I'll have to wait until next week to have one sent from Melbourne. That's life.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1055 on: September 11, 2020, 01:00:57 pm
Had to make an when needed easy to remove muffler as the fixed one was too static and had some issues with thermal expansion. Now the whole thing looks bit like a 2 stroke exhaust.  ::)

Nevertheless it's pretty optimal and serves the need.
Looks good. That bike looks sort of familiar.
 8)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1056 on: September 11, 2020, 06:47:28 pm
Looks good. That bike looks sort of familiar.
 8)
I think I saw that one before. Looks good.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1057 on: September 11, 2020, 07:46:42 pm
It's the same bike from the video, just the springs black, new muffler and windshield in black too. The nordic commies were not too much into it, so fortunately I still have it.

Some new knee pads, nice side effect the tank doesn't work as much as a sound amplifier anymore.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 07:49:43 pm by Joe_535i »

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1058 on: September 11, 2020, 11:41:36 pm
It's the same bike from the video, just the springs black, new muffler and windshield in black too. The nordic commies were not too much into it, so fortunately I still have it.

Some new knee pads, nice side effect the tank doesn't work as much as a sound amplifier anymore.

Hey Joe - There are too many of those nord-coms everywhere.
  The side effect of the knee pads bringing down the dB level is good to know. Maybe I’ll order some from Hitchcocks.
  What’s that extra section on the right hand side outer crankcase?
BG

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1059 on: September 12, 2020, 05:08:21 am
What are Nordic commies? Did you ride to Finland or something?
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1060 on: September 12, 2020, 08:41:17 am
What are Nordic commies? Did you ride to Finland or something?

God beware no, only through the main parasitic globo nazi reeducatio camps where they make the Gretas and dig all the doomsday scenarios such as global warming which is there a 100% scientific fact, cast a doubt on it and they lock you down in a reduction camp to convince you otherwise. The whole world owes them money because all knowledge originates there, hahahahaha.

Than they are chasing anyone who they believe has an extra buck to spend to maintain equality. They must have done the same scam to this guy. Self defence is criminal there, attack is not. The most perverse place I've ever experienced soon to turn into dust.

https://pitchfork.com/news/why-asap-rocky-was-arrested-in-sweden-for-assault-and-what-happens-next/

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1061 on: September 12, 2020, 11:49:56 am
They must have figured that asap guy is a nazi because US elected Trump. That would match the logic of those reeducation camps.  ;D

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1062 on: September 13, 2020, 09:15:12 pm
Hey Joe - There are too many of those nord-coms everywhere.
  The side effect of the knee pads bringing down the dB level is good to know. Maybe I’ll order some from Hitchcocks.
  What’s that extra section on the right hand side outer crankcase?
BG

My loyalty with HMC is limited.  :D

Joke aside, a self adhesive neoprene rubber sheet that can be cut in any desired shape make really nice knee pads for a fraction of the cost.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neoprene-EPDM-Blend-Foam-Sheet-Adhesive-Backed-Squares-Strips-in-all-sizes/401911257667?hash=item5d93c71a43:g:oioAAOSw2XdeUQNo

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1063 on: September 14, 2020, 01:02:19 am
Good to know.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1064 on: September 16, 2020, 12:55:22 am
I took off those silly rubber things out of the cylinder and barrel fins.