Author Topic: Rev limit in 1st gear  (Read 15425 times)

agagliardi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #75 on: July 01, 2020, 02:32:01 pm
This is not the usual forum chit chat, very entertaining, You guys are going at it like trial attorneys !  Sounds like the old SNL skit:" Jane you filthy slut!"
1988 Super Magna(Disabled), 2000 Harley Softail, 2004 Hayabusa, 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor, 2004 Corvette, 2019 Indian scout

Heavy Duty Mick

• Scooter
Reply #76 on: July 01, 2020, 02:34:28 pm
Look closely on those dyno runs, see how they hit against the rev limiter several times.

None of them bog down at 7000 rpm.

7250 rpm HP max is what is in GT 650's tech description.

If you believe that your engine is underperforming, find a local Dyno who has run 650s in the past. Run your bike up and compare the results.

JettaKnight

• Fort Wayne, IN
  • Grease Monkey
  • USA 2020 650INT
Reply #77 on: July 01, 2020, 03:35:59 pm

I suggest looking into a "Liter bike"....CBR RR.....etc.

Cookie

I read that as "litter bike", as in, those are the kind of bikes littering the streets here in the Midwest.  :D

'round here, you've either got a sports bike or a cruiser. There's very few of us that don't toe the line... and wear ATGATT. (but, that's another thread)

JettaKnight

• Fort Wayne, IN
  • Grease Monkey
  • USA 2020 650INT
Reply #78 on: July 01, 2020, 03:44:47 pm
"I work at an OEM'er building big diesel engines. Every engine is tested for 15 minutes. 5 minutes of heating up, making sure all pressures are correct, nothing is leaking etc. Then after 5 minutes its full throttle all the way. Cold oil, somewhat warm coolant.  The last few minutes are for cooling down. Those engines don't burn a drop of oil. Nothing even remotely in the manual about 'breaking in'.
Its full send from the factory and it works."
And I was an engineer for a major US truck manufacturer, so I know the difference between these machines is night and day.

So, no one on this big forum has ever used the whole available RPM range in 1st gear?

That is unfortunate.
Is it? Is it really?

I don't know what to tell you. You can just accept that the whole available RPM range in 1st gear stops at 7000, or I guess you can get a plane to Leicestershire and talk to the engineers who designed it.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #79 on: July 01, 2020, 04:18:05 pm
Done and out.
Wasted time.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 04:20:50 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #80 on: July 01, 2020, 05:04:37 pm
your bike is obviously screwed up!   Send it in for warranty...

Cookie

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #81 on: July 01, 2020, 05:22:43 pm

One is simply accelerating in 1st gear and wants to change gear at top HP point which is at 7.250 RPM. It

Well .. if you were for some unfathomable reason drag racing a stock 650 interceptor ... you would change gears at the point that the torque in the next higher gear exceeded the torque in your current gear, not the max HP point in the current gear.

dcolak

• Bulleteer
Reply #82 on: July 01, 2020, 05:42:10 pm
And I was an engineer for a major US truck manufacturer, so I know the difference between these machines is night and day.

Is it? Is it really?

I don't know what to tell you. You can just accept that the whole available RPM range in 1st gear stops at 7000, or I guess you can get a plane to Leicestershire and talk to the engineers who designed it.

Does your GT stop at 7000 RPM, 500 RPM before the red line and 1000 RPM before rev limiter, only in 1st gear but not in other gears?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 05:45:31 pm by dcolak »
Triumph 800XC, Royal Enfield 650GT

JettaKnight

• Fort Wayne, IN
  • Grease Monkey
  • USA 2020 650INT
Reply #83 on: July 01, 2020, 06:05:57 pm
Does your GT stop at 7000 RPM, 500 RPM before the red line and 1000 RPM before rev limiter, only in 1st gear but not in other gears?

I've only got 200 miles on my Interceptor; I've not had it above 4000.

Greytop

• Grease Monkey
  • UK 2019 Interceptor
Reply #84 on: July 01, 2020, 08:28:38 pm
Obviously, you don't follow me, so here's something else you probably won't follow.

On virtually all of the available dyno charts for the 650 twin, none of them show a peak hp point of 7250 rpm.
They actually peak at 6500-7000 rpm, depending on the example tested.

So your information about 7250 rpm would seem unsubstantiated in the real world.

I agree, that is what I have noticed too.
Previous bikes: FS1E, TS185, KH250, RD250D, CB400N, RD350LC, GSF600 Bandit, CB900F, FZR1000.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #85 on: July 02, 2020, 12:05:32 am
"Horses for courses"  they say. That's what seems to be at play here. I gather most folks who'd choose to get one of those nice new 650 twins would do so for more or less the same reason I'm perfectly content to nurse along an old Iron Barrel Bullet: they just want to have a pleasant ride on something balanced and lovely that looks like a motorcycle ought, albeit with perhaps fewer concessions to modernity than I face. Sure, a few sensible mods to clear out a correctable inefficiency here or loosen some mandated emissions chokehold there are par for the course for most owners. But if they'd prioritized the kind of torque and power that caused one's testicles to retract they would have (should have) got a Hayabusa or something. So asking this crowd to wind out and very possibly damage their engines, no matter what anyone claims, will likely elicit only either disinterest, like trying to sell an iPod at an antique radio collectors convention, or even a sense of disgust or mild horror, like someone peddling fur pelts at a PETA conference.

Raw performance is not really what these bikes are about for most  owners, certainly those on this Forum, but that's not to say that everyone necessarily feels that way, nor, for that matter, should  everyone. Yet such a cavalier attitude to longterm engine health takes deeper pockets and other goals than most owners here may have. Another Forum member has already made the very sensible suggestion of contacting the good folks at Harris Performance, who designed these 650s in the first place. Many will recall their record-breaking runs in the 750 category at the Bonneville Speed Week  in 2018. According to other reports they blew out several engines in the course of gaining that new Land Speed Record for the class, so clearly their concern was not with pampering their mills so that they'll carry on through the Malia Obama Administration or whenever. Running nitrous oxide they were interested only in squeezing every last droplet of "Oomph!" from those motors and consequences to them be damned. It sounds to me like our man, "dcolak" might do well to at least reach out to Harris for answers to his questions. The folks who did the Bonneville runs were their Special Projects Team at the Bruntingthorpe, Royal Enfield Technical Centre, but general enquiries to Harris Peformance can be made at https://www.harris-performance.com/contact-us/ . My guess is they'll have answers to all his questions

In the meantime, I'm hoping our original poster might take a moment to either confirm or deny my earlier linguistic hunch that he is a Croatian-Chilean. Why not satisfy my curiosity?...

From Split they never really split!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 12:48:52 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

dcolak

• Bulleteer
Reply #86 on: July 02, 2020, 02:23:44 am
So asking this crowd to wind out and very possibly damage their engines,

That is absolutely, patently false.

You are not going to damage anything by using full RPM range offered by the bike.

No one is saying to go into the red, you actually cannot go into the red.

It is bonkers to think using fully what you purchased (0-7500 RPM range) would somehow destroy the bike.

No, I'm not from Split or Croatia.
Triumph 800XC, Royal Enfield 650GT

Haggisman

• Grease Monkey
  • Adelaide, Australia.
Reply #87 on: July 02, 2020, 05:07:03 am
Please indulge yourself in as much 8,000rpm riding as you feel happy with, keep us all informed of your progress. I await further news with baited breath.  Even if no one else will join you in your escapades, it is your bike and your choice how you ride it. Prove us all wrong.
2019 Interceptor

Heavy Duty Mick

• Scooter
Reply #88 on: July 02, 2020, 05:41:55 am
Thought this may be of interest.

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #89 on: July 02, 2020, 08:49:10 am
I think I'm brain dead after trying to read through all this. Absolutely a pointless exercise with a who gives a f=ck anyway question...
Drink now....avoid the Xmas rush.
greetings from Brisbane, Australia