Author Topic: Rev limit in 1st gear  (Read 15289 times)

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #120 on: July 04, 2020, 01:41:06 pm
✌️
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

dcolak

• Bulleteer
Reply #121 on: July 04, 2020, 03:03:24 pm
Of course it is, in this context. It's an experiment to see whether your bike has a unique characteristic or that all 650s share the same trait.  But you're too pumped up with your self importance to sit back and listen when other 650 owners tell you they don't want to take part in your project, or to respect their choice to not subject their motor to the abuse you're OK with. Instead you ridicule them for being weak and wonder why no-one takes you seriously.

Using the full available RPM range is experimenting? Ok. Got it.
Using the full available RPM range is abusing their motor? Ok. Got that as well.

Ridicule for being weak? I think you are projecting now. Care to provide the citation?
Triumph 800XC, Royal Enfield 650GT

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #122 on: July 04, 2020, 03:56:23 pm
Hey there Mr. Dcolak.....

I'm on your side!  You have some interesting ideas.

Running a bike up to redline is fine....I agree with you completely on this...

The practicality of doing this for street riding is questionable....but running to redline will not hurt anything....

But.....running a 'new", low mileage engine, without break in, up to redline is not a good idea IMHO....It "may" not hurt anything, but it certainly has a good possibility of hurting the engine.

Following a reasonable, recommended break-in  procedure is a good idea.....that will guarantee you don't hurt anything....and it only take a short time and miles to do so...then have at it...

The actual shift point you use depends on what you are trying to achieve...for maximum acceleration you do need to run up to, or at least very close to, redline in every gear.

For fuel economy the recommended shift points are in the 3000 to 3900 rpm range...

For enjoyable cruising....somewhere between the two cases above...

Don't feel bullied...if someone disagrees with you....come back with actual good reasons for doing what you are doing...anyone who disagrees, should do the same.

The answer to many things is "it depends"..."there is often never any one right way"...

But what really bugs me...is when people do things, and they can't give a good reason why they are doing it...
and they claim results which are not measurable...

Keep up the comments....we might learn something!

Cookie

Using the full available RPM range is experimenting? Ok. Got it.
Using the full available RPM range is abusing their motor? Ok. Got that as well.

Ridicule for being weak? I think you are projecting now. Care to provide the citation?

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #123 on: July 04, 2020, 04:16:32 pm

Not really. I don't see a way to multi quote from the beginning to end of the thread. All the times you've said something like this:

Guys, you know nothing bad will happen to the motor if you hit rev limiter in 1st?

could be implied to mean you think the guys who won't help your investigations are too afraid to do it. When in actual fact, they just don't want to. Because they don't see the point or want to risk their running in procedures. Respect their choice.

FWIW I don't think you'll do any harm to your motor. I respect and indeed applaud your choice to flog the living shit out of it. It's fun. But unreasonable to demand other people do the same for your benefit.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 04:34:57 pm by gizzo »
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #124 on: July 04, 2020, 04:52:50 pm
 :) Just kidding  I'm actually enjoying this  :) :)

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

dcolak

• Bulleteer
Reply #125 on: July 05, 2020, 01:32:20 am
Not really. I don't see a way to multi quote from the beginning to end of the thread. All the times you've said something like this:

Guys, you know nothing bad will happen to the motor if you hit rev limiter in 1st?

could be implied to mean you think the guys who won't help your investigations are too afraid to do it. When in actual fact, they just don't want to. Because they don't see the point or want to risk their running in procedures. Respect their choice.

FWIW I don't think you'll do any harm to your motor. I respect and indeed applaud your choice to flog the living shit out of it. It's fun. But unreasonable to demand other people do the same for your benefit.

You are projecting too much.
Triumph 800XC, Royal Enfield 650GT

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #126 on: July 12, 2020, 07:53:34 am
I have actually rev limited in first and second( once run in) out of curiosity. My question is did you blast up to the limit or did you creep up to it? You’ll get a more accurate idea of when it kicks in if you hover around that point. I can’t remember the exact rev but mine seemed to be around 7200 ish in 1st, maybe a little higher.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #127 on: July 12, 2020, 07:32:05 pm
I have actually rev limited in first and second( once run in) out of curiosity. My question is did you blast up to the limit or did you creep up to it? You’ll get a more accurate idea of when it kicks in if you hover around that point. I can’t remember the exact rev but mine seemed to be around 7200 ish in 1st, maybe a little higher.

This was the obvious answer. In first gear the engine accelerated faster than the tach could keep up with. He was at the rev limiter before the needle hit. More people were concerned with the way he asked the question than the question being asked. And the only way you could reach redline in sixth is with the bike on the centerstand. Not many people are comfortable running a bike's back wheel at over 100 mph while still in the garage. All of this adds up to nobody taking him seriously.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #128 on: July 13, 2020, 08:49:40 am
This was the obvious answer. In first gear the engine accelerated faster than the tach could keep up with. He was at the rev limiter before the needle hit. More people were concerned with the way he asked the question than the question being asked. And the only way you could reach redline in sixth is with the bike on the centerstand. Not many people are comfortable running a bike's back wheel at over 100 mph while still in the garage. All of this adds up to nobody taking him seriously.
Haha😂 yes of course! He really rubbed a few nerves raw eh?