Author Topic: Tec camshaft noise  (Read 1359 times)

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 17, 2024, 03:35:48 pm
how can i check if oil actually reaching the camshaft and valve train?

Reassemble everything, but leave the rocker cover off and pull the spark plug. Then crank the starter for about 30 seconds and you should see oil coming up through the oil inlets. Should be pretty obvious.

SNK

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: March 17, 2024, 05:31:50 pm
Thank you, i will do it, i want to find the cause of this noise.

When the Kent cam arrives i will measure the camshaft journals of stock cam, Tec cam and Kent cam and i will post the results.

I also purchased a lub oil pressure gauge to measure oil pressure, again i will post results.

I am also wondering if i must also purchase the Hitckock performance valves.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 19, 2024, 02:07:35 pm
If the OEM valves are of two piece construction and there are one piece alternatives, fit them for peace of mind. If the alternative valve tips have been correctly finished so as not to deform under normal use which can result in excessive valve train noise, likewise.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

SNK

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: March 23, 2024, 12:01:40 pm
I checked the valve clearances after 500 Kilometers with the Tec camshaft and found exactly as adjusted IN 0,08mm - EXT 0,023mm.

I adjusted the exhaust to 0,20mm (filler gauge passing tight) run the engine for about 10 minutes till cylinder head temp reached 110 degrees Celcius and i immediately open to check the exhaust valve clearance.

The exhaust valve clearance to my surprise was again 0,20mm and the filler gauge was passing not tight!!!

Can you please be so kind and advise why this happening, i was left with the impression all these years that the exhaust valve clearance will be reduced when engine hot.

jadofind

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: March 23, 2024, 01:33:05 pm
The results you report are also unexpected to me. My experience and metallurgy knowledge are nearly non existent, but one explanation that comes to mind is that the aluminum of the head expands more than the metal of the cam and valve. It would be interesting to know if the exhaust tappet clearance returned to the as set 0.20" when cold.
2021 Himalayan
2014 Yamaha XVS950

Mr Noircicle

• Scooter
  • Two roads in a wood, I took the one less traveled.
Reply #20 on: March 23, 2024, 06:02:39 pm
That is a good engine design that will not close or open up the valve gap when hot. Might have to try that on mine to see what happens, I can hear the nice gentle valve tick when hot on mine which isn't there when cold.

SNK

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: March 23, 2024, 07:48:01 pm
Thank you all for your replies, trust leaving the 0,20mm clearance for the exhaust will not cause any problem and i am going to post if the camshaft/valvetrain noise especially when bike is hot will be reduced.

SNK

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: March 25, 2024, 12:52:30 pm
Dear All,

i drove this morning to work (about 30 kilometers) having set the exhaust valve clearance to 0,20mm (on the tight side).

First start up when cold (ambient temp 16 celcius) and the valvetrain noise is almost - not completely - gone and after 30 kilometers when arrive at work and kept the bike idling the noise is reduced to 50% !

I am wondering if going to 0,18mm, again having the filler gauge passing tight, if the noise will reduced even further but i will not "risk" it for now.

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 25, 2024, 02:24:45 pm
I would keep it at 0.20 for a month or two at least, as I noticed mine quieted down even more after putting some miles on the bike. Just my 2 cents.

bthtony55?

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: March 26, 2024, 09:31:10 am
I can understand a pushrod motor tappet clearances altering as the motor gets hot, because of the length of the pushrods and material growth. Also the cam is below the barrel and the top end of the motor grows a little with heat. All causing tappet clearance movement.

However with the overhead cam motor there is nothing to move, or very little so the clearances should stop the same, give or take.

Wide

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: April 09, 2024, 02:58:49 pm
Just to put mind at rest.... my bike had just had tec cam fitted...now done 600 miles... I've set exh gap to 0.20 and its a bit quieter but still tappety. I was told you will always get this with a cam upgrade

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #26 on: April 09, 2024, 06:36:02 pm
I've had a TEC cam for 8000 miles. It's no more nor less noisy than the standard cam. It's a noisy engine.
I too set my clearances on the slightly tight side without issues.

SNK

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: April 20, 2024, 10:25:15 am
I removed the TEC cam and installed the KENT, adjusted the valves at IN 0.08mm EXH 0,23mm (on the tight side)
the valvetrain noise when bike is hot is TERRIBLE!

I changed the oil grade from 15W50 to 10W60 (Motul 7100) valvetrain noise remained unchanged.

Manualy adjusted the Cam chain tentioned from 5 notches out to 8 notches oit no change at all.

Today i adjusted the ehaust valve at 0,15mm went for a ride of 20 kilometers and wen i returned i checked the exhaust valve wile engine was still hot (engine oil 68 Celcius, head about 108 Celcius).

The exhaust valve was at 0,20mm!!!

I had NO valvetrain noise when bike was cold and a lot lower when bike was hot but i REALLY CANNOT UNDERSTAND how is this
possible and Exhaust valve clearance increases when bike is hot.

With my above experiment i can understand why the tip of the valve in many Himalayans making a dent by the rocker arm adjustment!

I am wondering if i adjust the Exhaust valve at 0,10mm cold then when it will be hot and go to about 0,15mm it will make no noise...

Your thought will be highly appreciated.

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: April 20, 2024, 06:11:12 pm
Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you want a perfectly quiet bike, sell the Himalayan and pick up a Honda. You will never be happy until you have the exhaust valve so tight you'll be burning the valve seats or peening the valve. My suggestion is to ride it or sell it. Just my two cents and no offense meant.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: April 20, 2024, 06:27:07 pm
Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you want a perfectly quiet bike, sell the Himalayan and pick up a Honda. You will never be happy until you have the exhaust valve so tight you'll be burning the valve seats or peening the valve. My suggestion is to ride it or sell it. Just my two cents and no offense meant.

Sound advice here. The OP now has an engine with tight valves and an over adjusted cam chain. I don't see a harmonious outcome here.