Author Topic: New guy here- With a problem... '14 Continental GT  (Read 3941 times)

HoweB

• Neophyte
Here's the issue, (if theres a thread somewhere that may be of help chuck it in, and bear with me, I can be a bit special)

While ago the regulator was on the fritz and killed the battery that was in the bike. It got left for a bit until I got a chance to have a poke around. There was also nothing happening with the fuel pump and nothing on the dash when the ignition is turned on except the Neutral light. The bike tries to turn over but it wont start.

That Ive replaced the regulator and battery, and all the fuses are A-OK, but still no changes on the above issues.

Looking around the web, seems relays can be a plague on these, I'm wondering if the relays are kaput, or perhaps when the bike wasn't regulating itself perhaps the ECU may have taken a beating.

Or if anyone else has any bright ideas on stuff to check it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, Ive checked the obvious, wiggled all the connectors  for anything loose, side stands not it, and kill switch isn't either.

OLD FELLA

• Scooter
  • Retired from racing but not life!
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 11:10:01 am
G'day! Just a few thoughts on your problems: There are a couple of relays that can go crook and cause problems - the Fuel Pump relay and the Side Stand relay - both interact and can disable your bike.
Process of elimination: Main Power check - Are all of the other functions working correctly when you switch on the key - speedo/tach self test, dash indicator lights, headlamp etc and a STEADY eng/mil light? - You state the engine run switch selected to run, sidestand up. If yes to all of these then pull the spark plug and check for spark - if yes then there is a fair chance the ECU is doing its job and the main power circuit is ok so the problem is with the fuel pump or relay - are you handy with a multimeter? I can give you some simple instructions to check the relays! I am not sure if there is a tip-over relay on this model so that may be a relay/conection problem also. A flashing Mil/Eng light (or extinguished) is a dead give away. See what your investigation reveals
Cheers
Chris

JerryGT

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 01:12:06 pm
I fear, the ECU got toasted... :(
Teaching a pig how to fly is counterproductive and most of the time it results in a pissed-off pig.

Continental GT 535

bnayman13

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 08:20:36 pm
Hello - was just reading through the many comments/concerns with the stalling of these '14 Conti GT's. Trying many posts to find a response.

I own this bike, bought it used in 2017 and have been plagued with this stalling issue ever since. Of course it ran smoothly the first month I bought it. This is the only bike I've ever owned and do have fun with it otherwise, just not at idle having to blip constantly to stay alive.

Many suggest adjusting idle, may help but doesn't solve issue. Some mention it's fuel pump issue.

Worth buying into or should I just take the loss? Appreciate the info. Thanks.

Uncle Billy

• Bulleteer
  • Still knee dragging (now and then) after 60 years.
Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 07:01:52 pm
OLD FELLA:  I have an electric problem with my Continental 535:  Everything works as expected when I turn the key on: the instruments, the fuel pump whirs; the horn blows, the turn signals flash when their buttons are pushed.  It's in neutral, the sidestand is up (it's on a Harbor Freight lift). All is okay up to here.  But the starter button does nothing. I put a jumper around the relay in series with the battery and the starter motor (a wire from the battery + to the heavy wire terminal on the starter) which makes the starter spin, but it doesn't engage with the engine.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
2019 Royal Enfield 650 GT
2014 Royal Enfield 535 GT
1984 HONDA VF750 INTERCEPTOR
1975 Yamaha DT 100
1973 Yamaha RD 250 made into a cafe racer in 1975
1973 Yamaha TY 175 Trialer
1966 Yamaha DT 125 Enduro   X2

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 09:00:11 pm
Give a bit of a gentle tap to the starter and see if it freezes up the Bendix so that way it will engage with the flywheel.
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 11:20:27 pm
Give a bit of a gentle tap to the starter and see if it freezes up the Bendix so that way it will engage with the flywheel.
Enfield starter doesn't have a bendix. It's always engaged. The sprag stops it turning when the engine's running.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

hawkeyefxr

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 11:48:05 am
I can tell you from first hand experience that the ECU is £353, special order from India . I used MotoGB to get it, took about a month to get it over here.

Uncle Billy

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 09:14:24 pm
After a lot of troubleshooting I found that the starter relay was shot- if I took a heavy wire jumper from the + battery terminal and touched it to the heavy wire terminal on the starter, thereby bypassing the relay I could start the engine.  I thought I would have to either wait forever for a new relay from India, or adapt a 12 volt coil heavy current relay from the world of car parts.  But my son did a simple google search for "Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 starter relay", which immediately got him to eBay.  He ordered it, ~$60, to come from India by the end of September.  I was amazed!  Go on eBay, search for Royal Enfield parts there.  Of course the jury is still out until these parts get here; I'll let you know when and if they do, by the end of September as promised.
1975 Yamaha DT 100

Uncle Billy

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 04:42:46 pm
It took 8 days for the starter relay to be delivered here.  We had emails announcing its FedEx process from India.  The bike will be on the road as soon as I can replace the old one.
1975 Yamaha DT 100