Author Topic: How to find Ethanol free gasoline?  (Read 2128 times)

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
on: September 03, 2013, 02:01:16 pm
How do I find a Gas Station that uses pure gasoline?

walken4life

• Bulleteer
  • 2002 Bullet Deluxe
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 02:08:00 pm
Pure-gas.org.  Here is the list for Texas:

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TX

Site may not be 100% definitive, as it relies primarily on folks reporting if they find a station selling Ethanol-free.  It is a good place to start, though.

Sadly, the only place near me that sells 'real' gas is the fuel dock at a local marina.  Aside from being out-of-the-way it means I would have to pay fuel dock prices.  No thanks!  I use the Sta-bil Marine additive, which is supposed to neutralize the ethanol and also stabilize the fuel.  It's the green stuff, and you can find it at most places that sell the regular Sta-bil (I got mine from Lowes).  I've also started mixing it with the gas I put into my lawnmower, and it seems happier for it.  Don't know if there is a different magic elixir that other folks here prefer.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:27:55 pm by walken4life »

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 02:09:25 pm
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 03:26:10 pm
Check out the closest marinas and gas stations near a lake that cater to trailer boaters.  Also, sometimes near race tracks, though you pay a premium for "racing" gas.
Alternatively: don't let your bike sit for more than a couple of weeks - burn what's in it regularly and it doesn't usually pose any problem.  Additives aren't necessary if the gas doesn't sit long enough to collect water and separate.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 03:33:24 pm
I ride at least 3 days a week for short trips around town. So I will just ride a bit more often and that should be solved. :)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 03:41:41 pm
I recently found a pure gas station 4 miles from me..So far the mower seems to go further and sound better on a tank of nonethanol gas...I  filled the enfield up but haven't taken notice if the mileage increased or not....The place is a old country store with just two 1970 era pumps (1 with ethanol and 1 without)...It says pure gas on the pumps....Same price as the leading alcohol distillers in the area..I don't put it my 2013 Kia Optima, I'm trying to stay with a top tier brand.
Oh Magoo you done it again

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 10:20:02 pm
Pure-gas.org.  Here is the list for Texas:

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TX

Site may not be 100% definitive, as it relies primarily on folks reporting if they find a station selling Ethanol-free.  It is a good place to start, though.

Sadly, the only place near me that sells 'real' gas is the fuel dock at a local marina.  Aside from being out-of-the-way it means I would have to pay fuel dock prices.  No thanks!  I use the Sta-bil Ethanol treatment.  Don't know if there is a different magic elixir that other folks here prefer.

Sta-bil is good.  Star-tron is also good, possibly better.  Sea-Foam is also excellent.  Trouble with non-ethanol gas is that stations still selling this good stuff are usually pretty thin on the ground.  Big Agriculture and the corn lobby owns congress and keeps bribing legislators with what they like to call 'campaign funds'  >:( to cover these bribes in order to keep this garbage in gasoline despite the harm it does.
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

windhorserider

• Rider of The Windhorse.
  • Scooter
  • I'd rather be in New Orleans.
Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 02:24:49 am
Joel, I'm in Dallas and started looking a while back for E-Free fuel. I ride everyday into work and on the weekends try different routes outside of town. If I find a place, I'll let you know. Please do the same.
2013 Bullet B5
2007 Ruckus
Past Rides:
CL360, CB750K, CX500C, XS1100, KE100, HD Panhead, Goldwing

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 03:54:23 am
Hi Joel, It's pretty inconvenient doing all that fuel hunting. Here's some good news.
I have used STA-BIL MARINE FORMULA for years in everything (green color) it is available at Pep Boys & other auto stores. It counteracts the Corrosive effects of ETHANOL & promotes quick starts, & retards fuel spoilage.  However: this Corrosive phenomenon is really most critical in carbureted bikes with needle valves & slides to get stuck.  The Fuel injected vehicles made today are prepared to run using ETHANOL MIXTURE GAS, but STA-BIL MARINE CAN'T HURT your equipment.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 05:01:13 am
I recently found a pure gas station 4 miles from me..So far the mower seems to go further and sound better on a tank of nonethanol gas...I  filled the enfield up but haven't taken notice if the mileage increased or not....The place is a old country store with just two 1970 era pumps (1 with ethanol and 1 without)...It says pure gas on the pumps....Same price as the leading alcohol distillers in the area..I don't put it my 2013 Kia Optima, I'm trying to stay with a top tier brand.

Man you are missing out.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 02:19:20 am
You won't find Ethanol free gas in Dallas County due to EPA mandate.  I haven't seen it in Tarrant, Rockwall, or Collin counties either. I did find Ethanol free gas in Oklahoma and my fuel economy in my Miata increased by at least 25%.

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 02:27:15 am
I saw a station just over the border with Oklahoma that had it. But there is no way I am driving that far for gas. I will just deal with what I have. I dont let the bike sit more than a day or two without being ridden.