Author Topic: Hello from San Diego California - Continental GT 650  (Read 5832 times)

BlackIce619

• Grease Monkey
  • California
First I want to say hello. Joined the forum to learn a bit more of the new toy I purchased. I have had various previous motorcycles and something about this got my attention.

Previous motorcycles:
1999 Suzuki SV650 (The commuter)
2000 Honda CBR 600RR (Track Bike)
2000 Harley Davidson FXDS Conv Dyna (Dads bike I rebuilt after his passing)
2006 Suzuki SV650s (Got for free, rebuilt, and sold)

I love motorcycles and have never looked at or had an interest in a Royal Enfield. I was at a local shop about to purchase a Yamaha MT09. As I am in the middle of negotiating a price on a 2020 MT09 the Royal Enfield motorcycle below pulls in to the shop as the shop just acquired. I saw it roll in and my attention went straight to it. After multiple hours and days of negotiating the MT09, I was about to pull the trigger. I was distracted by Royal Enfield and told the sales rep, "tell me about that bike that just rolled in".

The end of the story is that I walked out as a new owner of a 2019 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650. Learning now that it has a couple of upgrades on it.  Ready to learn more and have fun. Looking forward to learning about this community and the motorcycle specifically.

The shop is doing a quick maintenance check to release it and I should have it later today. Looking forward to learning from you all and using this forum as a resouce. Maybe you all can teach me more about what I just purchased. hahaha

I am located in San Diego California and may see you guys around sometime.

2019 RE Continental GT 650 - Ice Queen

Gremlinsteve

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 09:14:47 pm
Welcome

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 09:18:45 pm
Welcome mate! Congrats, great choice. SV is good, too.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 09:24:28 pm
First of all, welcome to the Horde! As for your impulse buy of that GT, I doubt you'll regret it. I have one of the older original style "Iron Barrel" 500 Bullet singles, but have been hanging around these Forums long enough that if there was anything really "dicey" about these new 650s, I'd have heard about it by now. In short, I think you're gonna be extremely pleased with that new ride. In fact, as I've often said here before, one day when those 650s start finding their way into the used bike listings on Craigslist in my price neighborhood (the one with the broken malt liquor bottles, meth baggies and one-eyed cats lurking around), I'll likely be getting one too. For now, one hardly ever finds them for sale used, since I'm guessing almost all who get 'em are holding onto 'em.

If you want to watch an Italian fella toss one of those GTs around Italy with a bit of "verve" while learning about a few swell mods, then check out this "The Ice Queen POV" YouTube channel: https://youtube.com/c/TheIceQueenPov. For example, here's just one of his many bracing jaunts through that glorious Italian countryside: https://youtu.be/1E6G7w2n2-I.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

BlackIce619

• Grease Monkey
  • California
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 09:43:41 pm
Welcome

Thank you!

Welcome mate! Congrats, great choice. SV is good, too.

Yes, my 1999 SV650 is one I miss the most out of all I have owned. The 2006 my intent was to flip.

First of all, welcome to the Horde! As for your impulse buy of that GT, I doubt you'll regret it. I have one of the older original style "Iron Barrel" 500 Bullet singles, but have been hanging around these Forums long enough that if there was anything really "dicey" about these new 650s, I'd have heard about it by now. In short, I think you're gonna be extremely pleased with that new ride. In fact, as I've often said here before, one day when those 650s start finding their way into the used bike listings on Craigslist in my price neighborhood (the one with the broken malt liquor bottles, meth baggies and one-eyed cats lurking around), I'll likely be getting one too. For now, one hardly ever finds them for sale used, since I'm guessing almost all who get 'em are holding onto 'em.

If you want to watch an Italian fella toss one of those GTs around Italy with a bit of "verve" while learning about a few swell mods, then check out this "The Ice Queen POV" YouTube channel: https://youtube.com/c/TheIceQueenPov. For example, here's just one of his many bracing jaunts through that glorious Italian countryside: https://youtu.be/1E6G7w2n2-I.

I have been known to do a little impulse shopping at times. I will check out that video for sure! I did laugh after I found out the model was called "Ice Queen". I don't like any of my motorcycles to be stock, so now I am trying to find and learn all about the essential upgrades. I currently know the motorcycle has SS exhaust. I have not had a chance to open her up and see if it has an aftermarket air filter. What else do you all recommend?? Any tips for a motorcycle to run smoother after exhaust and air filter. In my other motorcycles with carbs, I needed upgraded jets. With FI I got a power commander. I don't know what options are common for RE.

Thanks in advance!!!

BlackIce619

• Grease Monkey
  • California
Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 10:11:43 pm

As I am new, I have always enjoyed doing my own work on my motorcycles. You all may be aware of this but I found a youtube channel that is a GEM, so I had to share.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUAyF6pMAaK7gkKzjdzTwaw

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 10:18:09 pm
Thank you!

Yes, my 1999 SV650 is one I miss the most out of all I have owned. The 2006 my intent was to flip.

I never had one but I've ridden a few SV650 and 1000. They'd be a great "only bike".

Feel free to hang around this quiet corner of the forum as much as you like but it's aimed at the 535 single cyl CGT. There's separate page for the 650 GT and interceptor, one heading up on the main menu. Plenty of talk about modifications there, plus the usual arguments about who's the rightest. It's fun.
https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?board=30.0
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 10:20:12 pm by gizzo »
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 10:40:15 pm
[...Snip!]

Feel free to hang around this quiet corner of the forum as much as you like but it's aimed at the 535 single cyl CGT. There's separate page for the 650 GT and interceptor, one heading up on the main menu. Plenty of talk about modifications there, plus the usual arguments about who's the rightest. It's fun.
https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?board=30.0

As you can see, I've taken the liberty of punting this topic over into the right "GT section".

In other matters, I don't know if folks are aware that many, if not all, of those names used for the various color schemes of the 650s are based on real people, so "Ravishing Red" is a tip o' the hat to a guy named "Ravi" on the British development team, while "Ventura Blue" was named in honor of the late Paul Ventura. For more info, see: https://www.royalenfields.com/2018/10/ventura-blue-continental-gt-650-is.html

I cannot say for whom "Ice Queen" may have been named, but I'd like to think it was some unapproachably lovely blonde Leicestershire gal in their Accounts Receivable Office that others gathered at the water cooler just to gaze furtively at. But with my luck it was just some bloke named Bruce with assless chaps out on the loading dock. Though, to be fair, you could have a worse Tuesday evening.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 11:37:20 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #8 on: April 01, 2021, 01:40:01 am
Welcome BlackIce619

Congrats on the bike. 

I lived in San Diego for 28 years.  I remember well the great roads in east and north county.  Just curious, what shop did you buy from?

There are plenty of knowledgeable and helpful members here.  You just may get more "help" than you can stand. ;)

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 01, 2021, 10:39:56 am
Hello and welcome, you have found the right place if you own royal enfeild, lovely bike looks great in white.

Roshiba777

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: April 01, 2021, 12:24:43 pm
Welcome
Royal Enfield CI 500 (2000)
Royal Enfield STD UCE 500 (2010)
Royal Enfield Classic 500 (2011)
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 (2011)
Yamaha RD350 (1988)
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 (2019)

hadujorganic

• Grease Monkey
  • Bethesda, MD, USA
Reply #11 on: April 01, 2021, 12:59:02 pm
After multiple hours and days of negotiating the MT09, I was about to pull the trigger. I was distracted by Royal Enfield and told the sales rep, "tell me about that bike that just rolled in".

The end of the story is that I walked out as a new owner of a 2019 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650.

That's a great story and a sharp looking bike, congrats!
Four simple and tasteful mods already completed from what I can see - bar end mirrors, S&S pipes, leather grip wraps, and the rear plastic mudguard delete. Please post pics when you add your own mods.
I suspect you're going to dig the new ride and hanging around these pages, too.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 01:03:01 pm by hadujorganic »
Bethesda, MD  "Home Of Its Residents"

2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2021 SYM Fiddle III 200i
2019 Trek Checkpoint
1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager

BlackIce619

• Grease Monkey
  • California
Reply #12 on: April 01, 2021, 04:27:04 pm
As you can see, I've taken the liberty of punting this topic over into the right "GT section".

In other matters, I don't know if folks are aware that many, if not all, of those names used for the various color schemes of the 650s are based on real people, so "Ravishing Red" is a tip o' the hat to a guy named "Ravi" on the British development team, while "Ventura Blue" was named in honor of the late Paul Ventura. For more info, see: https://www.royalenfields.com/2018/10/ventura-blue-continental-gt-650-is.html

I cannot say for whom "Ice Queen" may have been named, but I'd like to think it was some unapproachably lovely blonde Leicestershire gal in their Accounts Receivable Office that others gathered at the water cooler just to gaze furtively at. But with my luck it was just some bloke named Bruce with assless chaps out on the loading dock. Though, to be fair, you could have a worse Tuesday evening.

That is awesome! Love the story behind the names, and your Ice Queen story had me cracking up.  ;D

Welcome BlackIce619

Congrats on the bike. 

I lived in San Diego for 28 years.  I remember well the great roads in east and north county.  Just curious, what shop did you buy from?

There are plenty of knowledgeable and helpful members here.  You just may get more "help" than you can stand. ;)

Yes, we have a ton of great roads here in San Diego. I purchased from Fun Bike Center. While I did go to Triumph San Diego to speak to Isaac (General Manager), our conversation was only about the Triumph Thruxton RS. Had some negotiations and he was AWESOME. I went home and then thought.... I could get a MT09 for much cheaper and modify it some more and save money. That is when the negotiation at Fun Bike Center started, in addition to multiple other shops near by. I never spoke to Isaac about RE even though there was about 8 of them at his shop, it was just not on my radar because I was so focused on Thruxton RS. I called Isaac and said... "Give me price OTD on a Ice Queen". He is truly AWESOME when it comes to customer service. He was always straightforward with me and gave me straight up numbers OTD, while other shops did not. I had my price by Isaac, while I was at Fun Bike and he also said... "remember our price includes 3 year warranty and road side assistance".

The sales rep at Fun Bike returned and since I had already negotiated with him for so long about MT09 he knew I was ready to pay cash and walk out. His price was cheaper by over $2K. I dont have 3 year warranty, but motorcycle came with a couple upgrades and my favorite part of the deal is I have no debt.

Keep in mind, I have never test rode the Ice Queen. My inpulse purchase was just on looks and sound.

Picked up the motorcycle yesterday afternoon and WOW. It has character when you ride it. The power does not feel like 47hp+ because it feels a bit more responsive. It has a little pep to it. The sound as you ring it out is just awesome. My ride home which was about 20 miles had me with the biggest smile ever. The twin-engine reminds me of my older SV650 feeling, but this motorcycle is so much better and I cant wait to make further changes to it.

Sorry for long post, but I am a little excited about my impulse purchase and just truly happy I do not regret it. @Bilgemaster you were RIGHT!

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #13 on: April 01, 2021, 04:34:16 pm
Congratulations!!  I agree.  When I took a test ride everything about the bike felt great. 

The first curve it felt it did not wanted to turn but that was just me not used to it, plus I was going faster than I thought... 5 minutes later it all felt normal...

Now, after a few hundred miles, it is just getting better and better.

I very happy with my purchase.

Wishing you many happy and safe miles on your new ride!
Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

BlackIce619

• Grease Monkey
  • California
Reply #14 on: April 01, 2021, 05:17:46 pm
Hello and welcome, you have found the right place if you own royal enfeild, lovely bike looks great in white.
Thank you for the warm welcome. Yes, the white had me at first glance. Well to be honest the sound had me first as it thumped across the showroom floor.

Welcome

Thanks!

That's a great story and a sharp looking bike, congrats!
Four simple and tasteful mods already completed from what I can see - bar end mirrors, S&S pipes, leather grip wraps, and the rear plastic mudguard delete. Please post pics when you add your own mods.
I suspect you're going to dig the new ride and hanging around these pages, too.

The S&S exhaust on this motorcycle makes it sound greater than what it is. Some of the salespeople at the shop had no idea it was a 650. All they stated was "that sounds awesome".

Next upgrades:
  • S&S Air Filter or DNA ? (need to open her up and see if one already is installed)
  • High-Flow Intake Eliminator Kit (S&S or DNA version)
  • LED Headlight (debating as it takes away from retro look) thoughts?
  • Cafe Racer Front Fairing (MK Designs)
  • Black Rubber Tank Knee Pads - British flag version
  • I need your recommendation on a 2 up seat that is the comfiest?
  • Is there a 3/4 turn throttle available?

Going to place an order soon on some stuff... appreciate all your help in advance. So much information on this forum and knowledgeable people. THANKS EVERYONE! Just found another post about DNA vs. Stock Air Filter and the members went to town on the information. This forum is GREAT.