Author Topic: Great Brakes  (Read 752 times)

Thislldo

• Scooter
on: March 11, 2024, 10:46:24 pm
A week ago I had a miss hap on my Himmy. 4 miles from home on a narrow A road that I know well I was following a horsebox and an Ocado delivery van. With no opportunity of overtaking I was relaxed and was by no means tailgating. Catching a glimpse of the horsebox's brake luights beyond the delivery van, decades of experience came into action and I grabbed the anchors. It was close but the ABS and whatever brake pads were fitted, they worked and I came to a safe stop.
But safe only for a moment, then Bang! I was hit from behind and was pushed into the roadside hedge.
My assailant was another delivery van, DHL this one and clearly he'd been too close behind me to stop in time. Other drivers did the decent thing and helped to get me and the bike out of the hedge. I was Ok apart from my right thigh having taken a whack, possibly from the handle bar end, or  maybe the hedge.
The Himmy was not as bad as I feared. DHL driver had swerved, trying to avoid me and his nearside wing and headlamp had wrecked my off side ally pannier and bending the whole support system..
Details exchanged, police arrived, clearly understanding what had happened, and after a bit of a breather I rode cautiously home. Dealing with insurance has been less hassle than I expected. They have let me have a Honda CB500X to ride while the Himmy is sorted. Its all revs and has ponderous low speed handling, but at least I'm not stuck without transport.
So having seen some doubts expressed about the effectiveness of the brakes, I am glad to be able to say that when you really need them, they do the job.
My leg is improving steadily and coes with all my exercises at the gym, but today I tried going for a swim and that did tweak something in the injured area

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 11:00:36 pm
You can do everything right and still some dufus comes along and ruins your day!

Glad you aren't seriously injured and hope you heal quickly. Don't push it. I'll probably stay off the bike for a few days to give my shoulder time to recover.

Hopefully they get the Himmy back to better than new. I'd tell the insurance company that it had at least 50 bhp before the accident and you want it back that way!  ;D

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2024, 12:38:52 am
glad you're going to be ok.

Womble

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2024, 07:14:38 am
A positive attitude there, good to hear that you are OK, bikes are repairable.

Hopefully you’ll have it back soon

Mr Noircicle

• Scooter
  • Two roads in a wood, I took the one less traveled.
Reply #4 on: March 12, 2024, 12:59:29 pm
That all sounds like it happened fast! It's just as well he was awake enough to at least swerve and not go straight into the back of you.
I never like being in a line of vehicles unless I can see over the tops of them!
Hope it all gets fixed up and riding again soon.

jadofind

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 01:40:56 am
Wow! I'm glad now that I wasn't riding my Himalayan and only suffered a failure of the speedometer on a 22 year old Sportster that I took in trade last year. I listed it for sale this evening, only because I'd rather not pay registration on 3 motorcycles in less than a month.
2021 Himalayan
2014 Yamaha XVS950

Navy Boy

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2024, 05:34:39 pm
Good to hear that you are relatively OK. As you say when they are needed the brakes work quite well.
2023 Royal Enfield 411 Himalayan (Hilary)
2018 Suzuki DR 650 (Scooby Drew)
2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT (Blue Bomber - Known as Donna)
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 (Jenny)

Thislldo

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: March 22, 2024, 01:09:00 pm
Thankfully, even after the 1st week leg was mending well and is now officially passed by a physio as in great order (for a 72 year old!).
The bike however, despite being 100% ridable, as the day after the prang I rode 50 miles on it and it handled and rode just like the 5,000 mile bike that it is. So how come they now tell me its a "category B write off"?
I guy I know in a bike shop says "They do that if there's just a mark on the frame" and there's no arguing with the decision, it cannot go back on the road.
Still haggling for a proper payout but looks like happening quite soon. Prices seem to down even further than when I bought it in February due to the imminent availability of the 450 and there seens to be reasonable choice in my area.

Thislldo

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 04, 2024, 09:06:18 am
Still waiting for the payout, but after careful thought "Do I want another Himmy?"  Treating the 6 weeks I had riding it, treating that as an extensive test ride, the answer is "Yes!"
So I have located a decent example for sale not too far away and the seller is happy enough to wait until I get the cash. Persistent phone calls to the insurance suggest, maybe next week.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 04, 2024, 01:01:57 pm
that's good news. you all healed up?

Thislldo

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: April 04, 2024, 02:20:14 pm
Oh Yes!
I only caught the front of my thigh on the handlebar, which made me hobble as I got up from the shunt and made getting upstairs an ordeal that night. But it made very steady progress and a week later, could be forgotten.
For just 72 I am pretty fit, thanks to going to a gym 2 or 3 times a week. The physio that insurance insisted on me attending 2 weeks after the event pronounced me "right as rain" probably thanks to my gym routine.
I loathed and detested gym and games at school, but started at the gym soon after retiring to give me the best chance of being able to ride bikes and enjoy it for as long as possible. So far it seems a worthwhile investment.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 04, 2024, 04:14:06 pm
sounds good, i'm "only" 70 but go for walks and bicycle rides most days to stay sorta fit.

Thislldo

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: April 16, 2024, 09:00:46 pm
Got a 2019 himmy to replace the 2021 written off, not by the accident but by the money grabbing insurance company.
4,000 on the clock so similar mileage. Black all over which is a bit drab compared with my red/black example but I'll either brighten it up a bit, or just get used to it.
Got the higher/further back handlebar risers fitted this evening and a seat with modified foam. Also unbolted and ditched the monsterous "boat anchor" Givi Monokey top box mounting contraption from the rear carrier. So much weight in the worst position, even before you load the topbox.
It was a good deal with the ali panniers and a few other bits. It'll get a 50 mile run tomorrow.

Thislldo

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: April 20, 2024, 02:44:02 pm
Been fettling it. The improved pannier securing inside the ally panniers which I did for the first bike. No sticking out nuts and bolt heads. Healtech "Thunder box" to connect accessories to. Tomtom mount on handlebars, not obscuring instuments. Improved seat and the Hagon shock. I bought this for the first bike but fortunately had not got round to fitting it. Had to fit a new battery and as that took me into the underseat area I pressed on and got the airbox out and fitted the new shock. Bought from Hagon's, built to suit my 81Kg weight. It transforms the bike! Just got back fro a ride on local bumpy roads and it floats over them, compared to the standard shock. For once, money well spent.