Author Topic: Are Himalayan spokes stainless steel?  (Read 480 times)

Goldie

• Bulleteer
  • 1963 Rocket Gold Star
on: March 03, 2024, 05:41:21 pm
My 2019 Himalayan has only done 1000 miles. I have noticed specks of rust on the spokes which are difficult to remove. I thought RE used stainless spokes but these look more like chrome, which I thought was a no-no because of embrittlement? The spokes are magnetic but some stainless is magnetic so that's not a decider. Does anybody know if they are or not?

Mr Noircicle

• Scooter
  • Two roads in a wood, I took the one less traveled.
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 07:58:31 am
I don't think they are stainless on mine, 2018 uk.

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 10:54:07 am
Definitely not.
Zinc plated mild steel.

Goldie

• Bulleteer
  • 1963 Rocket Gold Star
Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 01:30:51 pm
Definitely not.
Zinc plated mild steel.

Pretty sure mine are not zinc plated, nickel or chrome.

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 02:05:44 pm
Pretty sure mine are not zinc plated, nickel or chrome.
Highly doubt they'd have gone to that expense.
Mine (2020 bike) are definitely Zinc.
But whatever.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 03:19:37 pm
My 2019 Himalayan has only done 1000 miles. I have noticed specks of rust on the spokes which are difficult to remove. I thought RE used stainless spokes but these look more like chrome, which I thought was a no-no because of embrittlement? The spokes are magnetic but some stainless is magnetic so that's not a decider. Does anybody know if they are or not?

Bucanan's Spoke and Rim which is the premier and oldest rim wheel builder in the US lists spokes in stainless steel, chrome plated carbon steel and bare carbon steel. Exactly what's on our Himalayans I couldn't say, mine show no rust, but I don't ride it if the roads are salty, and give the wheel a going over, including cleaning the spokes on a regular basis.

My guess would be carbon steel with a protective coating, maybe zinc maybe nothing, but honestly, I'm really not certain, mine dull and turn gray if I don't keep after them, so I doubt they're stainless. If they are it's a piss poor grade.

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 03:56:38 pm
I've read in a couple of places that the constant flex of SS spokes can cause them to become brittle over time. Has anyone else heard this?

Thislldo

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 05:26:17 pm
I have had stainless steel spokes on a number of bikes and done high milages with not a single spoke breakage.
A point that could be noted comes from a much loved 850 T3 Guzzi which had Borrani ally rims and stainless steel spokes, with bronze spoke nipples. The bronze nipples are said to be neccesary due to the well known tendency for corrosion in aluminium in unprotected contact with stainless steel.
Its the same reason for using Copperslip grease on stainless fasteners in aluminium casings.

Goldie

• Bulleteer
  • 1963 Rocket Gold Star
Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 06:03:48 pm
Interesting replies so it seems likely it's bright zinc. That being said it's very shiny.