Author Topic: adding lightness  (Read 16358 times)

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 30, 2022, 10:13:48 pm
this is all speculative since i've ridden the bike very little so far, but it seems overly tall and overly heavy to me. so at some point in the future i may decide to "fix" these issues. tall can be addressed with lowering links and fork adjustment, heavy can be addressed by replacing heavy components with lighter ones (muffler?LI battery?) or even omitting them altogether. i'm looking at you, tank guard bars, and you too, extra front fender, and maybe even you, handlebar weights. also maybe "tidying up" the tail, a la scram.

i expect you more experienced folks have opinions about all of this so please, do share. no hurry, take your time. and yes, i know, cut back on dessert. fat chance.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 01:43:36 am
Lightness (combined with HP...) is the forte of the high end $$$ folks like KTM & Husqvarna. The Himalayan is very competent within its operating range. The low end buy in provides you with good geometry, compliant suspension and mild traction promoting power and decent gear ratios. It also comes with a mild steel frame and manufacturing choices biased towards strength thru extra mass instead of exotic materials like tempered chromoly and carbon fiber.

Rider thinks the 31.5"seat height is fairly low for these types of bikes. The "tank guards" are actually carrier racks.
https://ridermagazine.com/2021/11/10/2022-royal-enfield-himalayan-first-ride-review/

Myself I'd keep it stock, maybe take off the bits you won't use and put them in a box. Ride it, maintain it, learn its quirks, appreciate what it does well. New high quality tires is about all the modding it needs, after the stock rubber wears down a bit. Chasing lightness is pointless when starting with low end hardware. R.E. did a great job with the Himalayan, especially for the price point. You can spend a lot of time & treasure and not get close to the high dollar boys; they started with a lot more base budget and retail for about 3x the price.

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 01:46:21 pm
"take off the bits you won't use and put them in a box."

good, good. anyone else?

jadofind

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 07:50:17 pm
A perception of excess weight suggests that you arrived at a Himalayan from a different route than I did. My previous mount was a V-Strom 650, which was bordering on worrisome weight if more than 5-10 degrees off vertical at a stop. The Himalayan is wonderfully light and short by comparison. I did notice when replacing a few broken and bent spokes on the rear wheel, that its weight surprised me. I haven't detached the front wheel, but wouldn't be surprised if it was also a bit on the heavy side. Finding and installing suitable aluminum rims might be one way to lighten up the bike a bit. However, it was only noticeable when I had the wheel off (like the roof that only leaks when it rains).
2021 Himalayan
2014 Yamaha XVS950

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 04:51:47 am
check the rims, check.

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 08:34:24 am
The stock wheels are stupidly heavy as I discovered recently when changing the tyres. Get some tubeless wheels while you're at it.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 05:30:16 pm
this is all speculative since i've ridden the bike very little so far, but it seems overly tall and overly heavy to me. so at some point in the future i may decide to "fix" these issues. tall can be addressed with lowering links and fork adjustment, heavy can be addressed by replacing heavy components with lighter ones (muffler?LI battery?) or even omitting them altogether. i'm looking at you, tank guard bars, and you too, extra front fender, and maybe even you, handlebar weights. also maybe "tidying up" the tail, a la scram.

i expect you more experienced folks have opinions about all of this so please, do share. no hurry, take your time. and yes, i know, cut back on dessert. fat chance.

I was thinking of doing just that two years ago if I could find a Himmy that I can pick up cheap.  Maybe one that had been crashed.   

I think now it’ll be best to just trade it in on the new 412 Sram.
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 11:23:34 am
I think now it’ll be best to just trade it in on the new 412 Sram.
likely the easiest way to get there if that's where you want to go.

right now my battery has died from sitting for 3 weeks. charger failed o save it. i've got family business to attend to in florida, so it may just continue to sit for the next month or so. obviously a battery cutoff is in my future, but there's not much room under there. maybe on the left, glued to the back of the side cover?
focus, man, focus!

BJMS

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: August 30, 2022, 11:54:14 am

Sounds like you should swap it for a Scram.
Lower, (a little bit) lighter, no extra front fender, no tank bars, no rear rack etc.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 01:52:35 pm
Lower, (a little bit) lighter, no extra front fender, no tank bars, no rear rack etc.
maybe so.

zefnerd

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: August 30, 2022, 11:01:21 pm
The front screen was dropped, front wheel reduced to 19", and probably the biggest weight saver, dropped the inclusion of a centerstand. They dropped about 10 kilo.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 31, 2022, 10:23:44 am
The front screen was dropped, front wheel reduced to 19", and probably the biggest weight saver, dropped the inclusion of a centerstand. They dropped about 10 kilo.
don't know that i'd want to ditch the center stand.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 13, 2022, 03:23:09 pm
cobbled up a battery cutoff for when thing settle enough to pursue this again

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 19, 2022, 01:16:38 pm
connected my home-brew battery cutoff and it seems to work.
and an aside: momentarily swapped the battery terminals by accident, key in pocket, and heard what i think was the fuel pump running. interesting wiring on this beast.

mitch49

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: November 10, 2022, 02:25:25 pm
Get some tubeless wheels while you're at it.

New guy here with a question. Will the alloy wheels from the  Meteor fit the Scram? I'm concerned about brake caliper placement.They are tubless... Would the alloy rims from the 650 work? This would get rid of the caliper problem but would it cause a problem with the different size rims and the speedo and ABS?? I guess you wold need need new spokes also..
tnx
mitch
I'm doing so good I can't stand it!!

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: November 11, 2022, 12:29:39 am
There are tubeless tire "rim tape" tubeless kits that get good reviews in the 650 section. Look over there and see if they appeal.

Usually a tube of "Slime" in a new tube will prevent the great majority of flats from happening. Going to cast wheels is an unnecessary practical expense, with "Slimed" tubes you'll likely never have a flat anyway. The 350 Meteor comes with cast alloy rims, is a better road bike, and the upcoming Hitchcock's Meteor big bore kit will take up any power slack and then some.

Again, lightness requires pricy materials and manufacturing processes. The $4500-ish 411 Himalayan is a great bike for the price, but the KTM, Husqvarna, et al will always be lighter and have more HP. That said, for everyday use and moderate trail bashing the Himi is a great choice. It's likely cheaper to pick up an old Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha or Kawasaki purpose built off road machine if you are seriously interested in off road performance.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 11, 2022, 01:44:21 am
finally got off my lazy butt and got my MC permit. rainy until saturday, so will start exploring the local dirt roads then. once i get a feel for the bike i'll think about mods/deletions.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: November 15, 2022, 03:25:44 pm
took it out for a run, it died about a mile and a half out, obviously some sort of electrical problem. neighbor helped me get it home. battery below 12v. replaced both 5-pin relays, no improvement. weather is inclement, so not much diagnostics for the next couple of days.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 19, 2022, 12:00:36 am
this might be part of my problem,#1, charging fuse. also ordered the add-on battery drain harness from hitchcock's
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 12:03:10 am by him a layin »

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: November 21, 2022, 10:58:02 pm
it cranks! it starts! it runs... fitfully. like me, it doesn't like going out when it's cold. i may try to adjust the idle.

i feel like an idiot. after looking over the wiring diagram for hours i noticed the starter solenoid is wired to the clutch switch, and voila! squeeze the clutch lever, fires right up. i still suspect there's an issue with the gear position sensor, it says "-" instead of "0".

tomorrow i'll fire it up and let it idle for a while, see if it drains the battery. worst case, i won't have to push it home.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 11:34:18 pm by him a layin »

Spicyred

• Ice Queenslander (Australia)
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: November 22, 2022, 11:20:29 pm
it cranks! it starts! it runs... fitfully. like me, it doesn't like going out when it's cold. i may try to adjust the idle.

i feel like an idiot. after looking over the wiring diagram for hours i noticed the starter solenoid is wired to the clutch switch, and voila! squeeze the clutch lever, fires right up. i still suspect there's an issue with the gear position sensor, it says "-" instead of "0".

tomorrow i'll fire it up and let it idle for a while, see if it drains the battery. worst case, i won't have to push it home.

Does it do that all the time?
Mine has done it a couple times. No big deal - just knock the lever back into second gear and down to neutral again to get the “0”.

If I haven’t ridden for a couple of weeks, I’ll lift the seat and plug a battery charger to the terminals for a couple hours. Works fine on my 18 month old battery.
Note that we don’t have the freezing temperatures around here. Perhaps 6 or 8 C.

Anyway, off for a ride and shall have passed the 10,000 kilometre mark by afternoon.
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: November 23, 2022, 03:30:41 am
Does it do that all the time?
Mine has done it a couple times. No big deal - just knock the lever back into second gear and down to neutral again to get the “0”.

If I haven’t ridden for a couple of weeks, I’ll lift the seat and plug a battery charger to the terminals for a couple hours. Works fine on my 18 month old battery.
Note that we don’t have the freezing temperatures around here. Perhaps 6 or 8 C.

Anyway, off for a ride and shall have passed the 10,000 kilometre mark by afternoon.
re the gearbox, i haven't ridden it enough to know. i've had both 1-down/4-up (like the himmy) and all-up bikes so i know there's a period of getting accustomed to it.

i'm hoping to get it out tomorrow and put some local miles on it. it idles well once it gets up to operating temp. i let it run 20 minutes today on the center stand so am confident that the charging system works. thousands of miles? eventually, i hope. right now the weather is turning cold (below freezing some nights) so i might not get much riding in until  spring comes in march.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: November 25, 2022, 04:24:11 am
we've had a couple of days of lovely weather, so went for a ride to the yadkin river bridge. no problems except operator error. need to relearn some old habits.

darmahman

• I've lived in Colorado for the past 43 years.
  • Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: November 29, 2022, 06:44:29 pm
Delkevic full exhaust took 10 pounds off. Then added rack and bags…:)
Scram 411, Moto Guzzi V85, BMW R100GS, Road King, BMW R1200C , Suzuki DRZ-400E

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: November 30, 2022, 11:13:25 pm
explored some back roads in my little town, found the abandoned lutheran cemetery, graves from 1900-1920s
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 11:22:19 pm by him a layin »

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: November 30, 2022, 11:24:08 pm
explored some back roads in my little town, found the abandoned lutheran cemetery, graves from 1900-1920s. no problems beside operator error.

Spicyred

• Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: December 01, 2022, 07:56:33 am

Exploring back roads, sealed or unsealed, is where these bikes really shine. ; :D
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: December 04, 2022, 12:52:56 am
Exploring back roads, sealed or unsealed, is where these bikes really shine. ; :D
indeed.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: December 14, 2022, 05:43:04 am
installed the battery-drain harness from Hitchcock's today. took 2 weeks to arrive from Germany because i cheaped out on the shipping. looks like a quality product, good clear instructions so installation was easy, about 15 minutes including running back and forth for tools.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: December 17, 2022, 01:41:41 am
rode up to the Dan Nicholas state park today bumblebee yellow/black jacket was cozy despite 48*f. only stalled it once!

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: December 17, 2022, 05:12:58 am
That mist & low-angle sun looks plenty cold - you're a tough nut. :)

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: December 18, 2022, 02:58:47 am
looks plenty cold - you're a tough nut. :)
some kind of nut, that's for sure. we get a completely different weather pattern here in NC. snow in the forecast for friday then supposed to warm up after new years.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: January 04, 2023, 12:33:19 am
highs in the mid 60s this week, went down by the river again, then cruised the back roads. need some wind-blocking pants, jacket is fine. been shopping online, what is this obsession with everything black? i want neon: orange, yellow, green...
and when i'm doing the limit on the 2-lane double solid back roads, they floor it and roar past. surprise!

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: January 07, 2023, 02:30:54 pm
just ordered a pair of neon yellow rain pants from TSC: https://www.tractorsupply.com/.../glowear-unisex-hi-vis... yes, i could have got them cheaper, and no they're not armored MC gear, but they'll allow me to keep riding in the chilly until i get the real thing, at which point these will be used for cold weather bicycling. be loud, be proud!

i looked at some rubbery ones, and ripstop/pvc too, and decided to spring for the pricier (2X) breathable instead, on the theory that i'd get more utility out of them. some of the cheaper models look like they would disintegrate at 60mph.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #34 on: January 09, 2023, 03:49:06 pm
I would think that the obvious things to change to make it lighter are:

1. Exhaust
2. Tubeless conversion
3. Battery with Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4) unit...
4. If comfortable doing so, delete Evap
5. If comfortable doing so, Air Injection Delete Kit

Then you have small stuff that can be remove (or replace with lighter parts):

1. If you are riding solo, remove the passenger pegs
2. Remove the front peak... seems to be there only for looks...
3. Replace all bolts with titanium equivalents...
4. Replace all lights with lighter LED  equivalents

What else?  Beside loosing a few pounds myself?
Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: January 09, 2023, 06:37:55 pm
my guess is that little things like the bolts are trivial, maybe a couple of ounces altogether. i'm looking at the scram as an example for the best return.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #36 on: January 09, 2023, 07:20:04 pm
my guess is that little things like the bolts are trivial, maybe a couple of ounces altogether. i'm looking at the scram as an example for the best return.

Ohh... missed that... I thought you were looking to staying with the Himalayan and making it lighter while still using it for its intended purpose (off roading with gear).

I plan to get one next year... so at least it served as an exercise on some of the changes that I will make to mine  ;)

And I agree, replacing the bolts with titanium equivalent... not cost effective for the weight it would save... and least not in my book.
Ride safe!
Wachuko

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: January 09, 2023, 10:16:54 pm
Ohh... missed that... I thought you were looking to staying with the Himalayan

no, you had it right. i'm staying with the himalayan. and in keeping with the himalayan's main theme, i'm insufferably cheap, so if i can simply take something off the bike, that's a free weight loss.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: January 10, 2023, 05:45:12 am
" I'm insufferably cheap, so if i can simply take something off the bike, that's a free weight loss. "

Well spoken. Tires are about the best mods you can make that have a noticeable effect on performance & you'll eventually need them anyway. If you are just occasionally cowtrailing, pretty much anything will work. You can do a lot with different weight fork oils & spring preload to suit yourself. The Himi at 440 pounds & about 25 HP is a bit portly but a good dual purpose mount with easy maintenance and stabile handling within its envelope. The KTM 390 adventure is 90 pounds lighter, 15 HP more powerful, +2" higher every time you swing a leg over and another $2500 more. The upcoming 450 Himalayan should be similar to the 390 KTM in performance and likely about the same money.

It would take a LOT of time & money to whittle the 411 Himi down by 90 pounds and add another 15 HP, probably way more than $2500 in time & parts. That center stand is worth its weight in gold for ease of maintenance & trailside repairs. Way better to just spend the money up front if you really feel the need for more ungawa. What I've seen is that the rider is normally at least 80% of the trail equation. Learning to actually use what you have seems to have been forgotten in the race to sell "faster" equipment. I can testify that buying a pricier, faster machine doesn't make you a better rider, it just guarantees you'll eventually hit the ground at a higher speed... :o ;D

https://www.webbikeworld.com/2022-ktm-390-adventure/
https://www.webbikeworld.com/2022-royal-enfield-himalayan/

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: January 10, 2023, 10:04:51 pm
sure, the himalayan could be lighter and have more power, but it is good enough for the kind of riding i do now. and the price point can't be beat for a new bike. i also looked at the bmw310, ktm390, and klr650 and chose the himmy :) i'll lightly mod it to make it mine. eventually i may swap it for something else, but for now it will do just fine.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: January 14, 2023, 11:01:12 pm
got my rain pants from TSC today. you can't see me!

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: January 30, 2023, 10:51:57 pm
it's a lovely day for a ride in the country. expecting rain off and on for the rest of the week. strike while the iron is hot, seize the day!
went out past the edge of town, looked at some pastures, then browsed the baptist cemetery on the way back, graves from 1900 and thereabouts.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: January 31, 2023, 01:05:44 am
Looks like you had a nice toot! Is that windscreen keeping some cool air off of your chest?

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: January 31, 2023, 02:22:05 am
yes. i was skeptical at first, but it works very well. i open the visor on my helmet a half-inch or so to keep the air fresh and condensation under control. i still don't have actual MC boots or pants, but what i have is adequate for now. one of the few mods i did to my H1 long ago was a windscreen about this size. it's been over 35 years since  i rode regularly, so it's still sort of new to me, but i'm getting the hang of it and looking forward to riding more when the weather warms. the back end seems looser-connected to the road than i remember, maybe the stock tire?

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: January 31, 2023, 05:22:27 pm
Tire compounds and air pressure are some real voodoo. For summer riding almost anything works. IF I was riding any on cold & wet or frosty tarmac I'd spring for real rubber by a real manufacturer with actual cold/wet/icy road experience like Dunlop, Michelin, Metzeler, Avon or maybe Bridgestone. My dirt-years criteria was that if I fell off less, the tires were likely better that what I had on before. At our age I can't in good conscience recommend that Darwinian approach. Lots of fast riders here have valid opinions on what contemporary rubber works well in adverse conditions, but not me. Myself I use Duro because it wears well and is cheap, but I'm not out there in the cold & wet either. Duro for "casual summer use" is OK, but for anything else you probably want the real deal.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: February 01, 2023, 01:07:44 am
forecast for today was cloudy and 60f, so i was planning to go for a ride. but it was light sprinkling all day, so no go. :(
rest of the week is expected to be about the same, rain and/or chilly.  so likely no more riding for me this week.  :'(

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #46 on: February 01, 2023, 05:35:08 pm
I keep documenting how to make the bike lighter... Since you started the thread with that, figured I would share my updated list  :D

Weight reduction (still researching, all these numbers from other owners or product websites):

1. RK Takasago 520 pitch chain and sprocket set - 3 lbs lighter than stock
2. YSS rear suspension - 4 lbs lighter than stock
3. Lithium (LiFePO4) battery - 5.5 lbs lighter than stock - one option IMP08-X
4. Delkevic carbon fiber complete exhaust system - 10 lbs lighter than stock
5. Wheels - replace stock rims with aluminum replacements - 10 lbs
6. Tubeless setup - I think, have not weighted this, that getting rid of the inner tubes would save another - 5-8 lbs??
7. Going solo so will be removing passenger pegs - ? lbs ?
8. Removing bumper peak. I really do not get why RE added that... just for looks I am guessing. - ? lbs ?
9. Remove EVAP system - ? lbs ?
10. Hitchcock's Brake disc contoured for rear wheel. They claim it is lighter than the stock unit. - ? lbs?
11. Replace all hardware (nuts and bolts) with titanium hardware. On this one, as mentioned before, the cost is not worth the amount of weight loss.... but wanted to keep it on the list...
12. Bar ends - ? lbs ?

There... back to normal programming
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 05:40:01 pm by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #47 on: February 01, 2023, 08:43:57 pm
Left one out...

13. Royal Enfield Adventure handle bar in aluminum - they claim it is 20% less weight than stock handlebar
Ride safe!
Wachuko

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: February 01, 2023, 11:00:06 pm
I keep documenting how to make the bike lighter... Since you started the thread with that, figured I would share my updated list  :D
There... back to normal programming
fitting into the himalayan's target market as i do, (cheep cheep cheep) i will eventually do some of these, especially the "omit"s. it may be some time, as i first want to get to know the bike as it came from the factory.

meanwhile, if you think it's useful to stash your accumulated knowledge here, please feel free to do so. i even get to feel like i contributed to the knowledge base by asking the question, thank you very much! :D

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: February 08, 2023, 01:39:34 am
took himmy out for a ride, stopped at my friend bob's on the way. he's living the bachelor life, keeps his vulcan in the foyer. when i got to the park, the gate was closed. oops. still, a pleasant outing.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: February 23, 2023, 11:07:51 pm
went out for a ride to the end of long ferry road. i think this is High Rock Lake, formed by a hydroelectric dam. houses all along the shore, but i saw no public access to the river. still, pretty.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: March 23, 2023, 08:39:51 pm
it's a lovely day for a ride in the country.
first warm clear day for a while, decided to use it. went to confirm the route to the landfill. stopped on the way in a little town, just a wide spot in the road. convenience store, hair salon, junkyard including two damaged hondas, a suzuki and a nameless scooter. found a motorcycle speed shop just up the road, too. then rode on and yes, the landfill is still there.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: March 23, 2023, 09:53:02 pm
Good out-'n-about shots, thanks for those! Still pretty soggy over here in the Land 'o fruits, nuts & flakes.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #53 on: March 23, 2023, 11:02:36 pm
It is nice to get out.  Thank you for sharing photos
Ride safe!
Wachuko

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: April 16, 2023, 01:07:53 am
another lovely day for a ride in the country.
under the interstate to bringle ferry rd,
dan nickolas state park, then on to tamarack marina on high rock lake.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: April 16, 2023, 03:33:02 am
Nice! Looks like Spring has Sprung!  ;D

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: April 20, 2023, 02:38:07 am
starting to grow a list of things i might want to change. the curve of the seat slides me forward so my knees just touch the tank bars. and i noticed this last outing that my underwear/pants seams chafe in the crotch. no, i'm not going to ride pantsless. and i think i'd like eventually to lower the bike a bit, the CG feels higher than i like.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #57 on: April 20, 2023, 04:01:34 pm
starting to grow a list of things i might want to change. the curve of the seat slides me forward so my knees just touch the tank bars. and i noticed this last outing that my underwear/pants seams chafe in the crotch. no, i'm not going to ride pantsless. and i think i'd like eventually to lower the bike a bit, the CG feels higher than i like.

Interesting, I come from having a really top heavy bike... The Himalayan feels so light and nimble in comparison...  Nevertheless I continue to make modifications to make it lighter...

So far, things done that have shed weight off the bike:

1. Delkevic 14" complete exhaust system
2. Removed passenger pegs.  No need for those since I do not carry a passenger
3. Removed EVAP system
4. Installed Hitchcock's Brake disc contoured for rear wheel.
5. Installed Royal Enfield Adventure handle bar in aluminum
6. Installed Hitchcock's Air injection delete kit

Things done that have added weight to the bike:

1. GIVI crash bars
2. EBC brake pads (yeah, these turned out to be a bit heavier than stock pads)
3. GIVI side stand larger foot plate
4. Barkbusters handguards
5. Rear wheel hugger
6. Grip Puppies

Net weight lost so far: 2.57 lbs.  So at least I have not added weight to the bike...

Pending changes that will help to loose weight:

1. Lithium (LiFePO4) battery
2. Aluminum rims
3. Tubeless setup
4. Rear passenger seat removal to replaced with light weight pan.
5. If not needed, remove rear rack.  The replacement of the rear seat with a flat pan might be enough to place the luggage there.

Pending changes that will make the bike gain weight:

1. Panniers and brackets
2. Tank bag
3. Front side bags

And yes, I am also on a diet to loose another 20 lbs  :D
Ride safe!
Wachuko

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: April 21, 2023, 10:52:14 pm
Interesting, I come from having a really top heavy bike.

So far, things done that have shed weight off the bike:

And yes, I am also on a diet to lose another 20 lbs  :D
this is my 4th bike: kawasaki dual-purpose 175, yamaha dt400, and a kaw H1. all 2-strokes, i loved the simplicity. if there's ever a 5th bike it will likely be another H1, i scan the ads watching for one to rescue. all of these were lighter and lower than the himalayan, so my experience is skewed.
right now except for the hitchcock's battery-drain harness and the easily-removed battery cutoff, my himmy is as-purchased, and it will stay that way for a while. so as i ride it i'll get comfortable with it or not, and that will help make the decision whether there's a #5.
just as an aside, i've seen your posts on the himalayan USA FB page, that and here both look like useful resources.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #59 on: April 24, 2023, 02:45:55 pm
this is my 4th bike: kawasaki dual-purpose 175, yamaha dt400, and a kaw H1. all 2-strokes, i loved the simplicity. if there's ever a 5th bike it will likely be another H1, i scan the ads watching for one to rescue. all of these were lighter and lower than the himalayan, so my experience is skewed.
right now except for the hitchcock's battery-drain harness and the easily-removed battery cutoff, my himmy is as-purchased, and it will stay that way for a while. so as i ride it i'll get comfortable with it or not, and that will help make the decision whether there's a #5.
just as an aside, i've seen your posts on the himalayan USA FB page, that and here both look like useful resources.

Kawasaki H1 - that is an interesting looking motorcycle with that exhaust setup.  Two pipes on one side, one on the other. Certainly lower, but the weight is not that far off from a Himalayan, well, closer to the weight of a Scram now that I look at the specs.
Ride safe!
Wachuko

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: April 25, 2023, 01:53:30 am
now that I look at the specs.
weight specs vary, i've seen anywhere from 384 to 423 lbs listed.
a 3-into-1 pipe would have made it lighter. i ran with 3 friends who rode a kaw h2 750 (rode it once, too big for my liking) a triumph 650 and a honda 450 in late 70s, early 80s. i loved the simplicity, no fuel pumps, points, valves, gas gauges, etc, just keep gas in the gastank and 2-stroke in the oil tank, check the dipstick now and then and you're good to go. later models just looked fast to me, much like the himmy looks agile.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #61 on: April 28, 2023, 09:02:46 pm
another lovely day, mid 70s, partly cloudy. found this county park 3 miles from home, then rode out into the sticks, saw this old farmhouse. owner came out,
"can i help you?"
"just out for a ride, saw the house, mind if i get some pics?"
"help yourself, stay off the porch, might fall in".

as i rode up closer, dumped it in a muddy rut, my first w/ the himmy. grass all around, as good a place to drop it as i could ask for, 0 damage.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: April 28, 2023, 09:04:22 pm
more pics.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: April 29, 2023, 04:25:19 am
Nice! Riding in tall grass/weeds is always tricky. Come out to the dez where you can see the ground - but those tall fuzzy "shrubs" are best avoided... :o

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: April 29, 2023, 07:09:43 pm
Come out to the dez
it would have been ok except i got to going sideways in a muddy rut.
i'd love to ride to AZ but it's a long ride, maybe if i had something a bit more street-oriented than the himalayan.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: May 05, 2023, 10:46:33 pm
a lovely day for a ride around town. visited the old abandoned AME and Lutheran cemeteries. there's a confederate veteran in the Lutheran cemetery, and sassafras.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 10:50:57 pm by him a layin »

cosmotraveler

• Neophyte
Reply #66 on: May 18, 2023, 11:25:56 pm
Delkevic full exhaust took 10 pounds off. Then added rack and bags…:)

What kind of saddle bag racks did you put on this?  Looks like they are pretty low profile which is what I'm trying to find.  Seems tricky to mount rackless to the Scram otherwise but Id like to add some small soft bags kind of like yours.  It looks great btw!  I've go the same color Scram and I love it

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #67 on: May 19, 2023, 02:49:49 pm
a lovely day for a ride around town. visited the old abandoned AME and Lutheran cemeteries. there's a confederate veteran in the Lutheran cemetery, and sassafras.

Very nice!

I will be heading to Georgia on the 26 to meet up with two friends and ride the Smokey Mountains 500.  Getting the bike ready for the trip...

https://adventurewell.co/resources/f/whats-it-like-to-ride-the-smokey-mountain-500

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/smokey-mountain-500.926507/

I will try to avoid highways on my way to my friend's house in Grayson, GA and on the way back.  Once in Grayson then we head out to do the Smokey Mountains 500... I am not retired, so I need to head back Monday.  That means that we might only be able to do two of the three segments.  But that is okay...

It should make for a great first long ride on the Himalayan...
Ride safe!
Wachuko

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #68 on: May 19, 2023, 06:27:21 pm
i am sure you'll have a wonderful time. i'm several hours off to the east, near charlotte NC. i've never had my himalayan more than 30 miles from home, but expect that to change as i get more comfortable with the bike. like, maybe to the beach, 4 or 5 hours away. that Ga/Tn/NC area is beautiful country, i'm sure you'll get lots of great pictures (and memories)!

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Reply #69 on: May 20, 2023, 03:52:50 am
Very nice!

I will be heading to Georgia on the 26 to meet up with two friends and ride the Smokey Mountains 500.  Getting the bike ready for the trip...

https://adventurewell.co/resources/f/whats-it-like-to-ride-the-smokey-mountain-500

I will try to avoid highways on my way to my friend's house in Grayson, GA and on the way back.  Once in Grayson then we head out to do the Smokey Mountains 500... I am not retired, so I need to head back Monday.  That means that we might only be able to do two of the three segments.  But that is okay...

You're going to be within a a half hour of my house, though not a half hour of me since I'll be in southern Virginia.

Hope you get some time to explore the North Georgia mountains. Some of the best riding in the country up there.

Spicyred

• Grease Monkey
Reply #70 on: May 21, 2023, 08:10:18 am
Very nice!

M8, you’ll love it.
It’s crazy how well they handle sweeping black top too, when laden.
They’re no T7 but there are places we can keep them honest with our sweet handling.
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: June 07, 2023, 12:11:06 am
just a quick ride today, maybe half hour each way. found a partly new route to the landfill :) wasn't planning to go there when i started off. it was good to get out, it's been a couple of weeks.
noticed this creek on the way out, stopped for pics on the way back.

Struggler

• Scooter
  • Pax Et Bonum
Reply #72 on: June 09, 2023, 01:17:08 am
I do not know if I am in the correct place but here is the pannier rack that I was asked about!
“Christ died for our sins”…1 Corinthians 15:3

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #73 on: June 12, 2023, 12:51:44 am
I do not know if I am in the correct place but here is the pannier rack that I was asked about!

Hi!  Wrong thread but it is all good!!  Thank you for sharing  8)
Ride safe!
Wachuko

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #74 on: June 15, 2023, 02:25:29 pm
just a quick ride today, maybe half hour each way. found a partly new route to the landfill :) wasn't planning to go there when i started off. it was good to get out, it's been a couple of weeks.
noticed this creek on the way out, stopped for pics on the way back.

Wished I was closer to areas like that... all my friends keep telling me that I need to move to Georgia...
Ride safe!
Wachuko

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #75 on: June 15, 2023, 04:52:19 pm
i lived in the atlanta metro area for a while, chasing IT jobs, then north GA. much of GA is very nice, from the atlantic coast in the SE to the mountains in the north. i think if i had it all to do over again i'd look closer at brunswick. central GA is pleasant but pretty flat.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #76 on: June 17, 2023, 06:07:31 pm
i lived in the atlanta metro area for a while, chasing IT jobs, then north GA. much of GA is very nice, from the atlantic coast in the SE to the mountains in the north. i think if i had it all to do over again i'd look closer at brunswick. central GA is pleasant but pretty flat.

Most of my friends there are in the Grayson area.

Doubt my wife would want to move... she wants to stay close to the kids here in FL.  Just wait until they start moving all over due to work, lol.

For now we just drive over and visit the beautiful places that GA has... or I ride over for the mountain rides we do every year there.
Ride safe!
Wachuko

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #77 on: June 17, 2023, 07:37:49 pm
i see that i neglected to mention that i grew up in central florida out the west side of orlando, went to school in tampa and st. pete thru the 80s. not sure i'd want to live in florida now, family there all gone.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #78 on: June 20, 2023, 02:32:14 pm
the weather has kind of sucked these last couple of days and it's expected to be like this for the next week or 10 days and now they're talking about a hurricane brewing out there in the atlantic and i'm kicking myself for not being motivated enough to go out and ride when it was nice. i did get my e-bike out yesterday, and promptly got caught out in the rain, and by the time i got home i was pretty well soaked thru. reminder to self: make hay (and miles) when the sun shines.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #79 on: June 26, 2023, 10:08:26 am
I rode mine to the house in Ocala.  Planning to ride the trails in the Ocala National Forest…

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/florida/recreation/recarea/?recid=83652&actid=32
Ride safe!
Wachuko

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #80 on: October 15, 2023, 06:38:31 pm
another lovely day for a ride. helped a box turtle over the curb, visited the old NC finishing plant at yadkin river park.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #81 on: November 26, 2023, 11:58:23 pm
a chilly day for a ride around town. stanback (yes, the headache powder people) park, the pond is low. then up by the transportation museum, behind the grocery store to the abandoned cemetery.

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: November 27, 2023, 01:16:40 am
Looks chilly!

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #83 on: November 27, 2023, 02:32:38 am
Looks chilly!
high in the upper 40s. dress warm!

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #84 on: November 27, 2023, 02:41:20 am
high in the upper 40s. dress warm!

Was out riding the Interceptor this morning in the upper 30's, low 40's. Pretty chilly till it finally got into the 50's. Need to look into some cold weather pants.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #85 on: November 27, 2023, 06:44:14 am
Was out riding the Interceptor this morning in the upper 30's, low 40's. Pretty chilly till it finally got into the 50's. Need to look into some cold weather pants.
brrr!   
i'm wearing 2 layers, then my riding jacket. just got some rain pants which should help keep the wind out. this is supposed to be fun, not a marathon.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #86 on: November 29, 2023, 07:07:57 pm
last month i accidentally let my motorcycle learner's permit lapse, so this last week i went and got a renewal, good for a mere 6 months.
didn't need one when i rode in florida 40 yrs ago, all you needed was a DL. so now i've got until late may to pass their silly test... i'm dreading the serpentine bit, weaving in and out of cones looks tricky, but there's not much option here. i could go do the MSF course, which substitutes for the state riding test, but it costs a couple of hundred, takes up a couple of days and i'm having trouble getting a straight answer on the wheres and whens. so F it, i'm just gonna study up and and practice and take the DMV test in april or may. if it's cold at least i'll be well-padded.

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #87 on: November 29, 2023, 08:11:44 pm
last month i accidentally let my motorcycle learner's permit lapse, so this last week i went and got a renewal, good for a mere 6 months.
didn't need one when i rode in florida 40 yrs ago, all you needed was a DL. so now i've got until late may to pass their silly test... i'm dreading the serpentine bit, weaving in and out of cones looks tricky, but there's not much option here. i could go do the MSF course, which substitutes for the state riding test, but it costs a couple of hundred, takes up a couple of days and i'm having trouble getting a straight answer on the wheres and whens. so F it, i'm just gonna study up and and practice and take the DMV test in april or may. if it's cold at least i'll be well-padded.

I passed the test many decades ago on a Harley. You will have no problem on the Himalayan. I was worried before hand too, but it turned out to be a piece of cake. You got this.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #88 on: December 02, 2023, 07:10:22 pm
may have found an obstacle course to practice on when the weather improves. ten 2'x3' grates, 20 ft apart. parking lot will be less crowded during the week. piece of cake on my e-bike.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #89 on: December 14, 2023, 10:10:57 pm
high in the lower 50s today, strike while the iron is almost not-cold!
so i went for a ride down to the park, where the pond is almost full again, then to my ATM, did some serpentine practice, finally a brief sojourn in the woods.

the bike has been sitting for about 3 weeks, and had a peculiar problem: no neutral light, gear indicator said "-" between 1st and 2nd. seemed to clear up some after the bike warmed up, maybe cold oil or low charge on the battery?

weather expected to be warmer the next 2 days, hoping to get out again, maybe the problem will go away. meanwhile, pix!

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #90 on: December 16, 2023, 09:30:57 pm
loafed around the back streets down to the wet-weather creek behind the park, then up to the plaza where i practiced my serpentines. getting better, more confident.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #91 on: December 16, 2023, 09:34:16 pm
aaand... some sort of problem with the gear position sensor, neutral light not coming on, dash shows "-" when between 1st and 2nd... until about 20 minutes into the ride. something about the xmission oil warming up?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 09:44:00 pm by him a layin »

jadofind

• Scooter
Reply #92 on: December 17, 2023, 01:39:42 am
I would think that the neutral switch is going bad, though I would admit that I have an incomplete understanding of how the gear position is derived. The transmission and the engine share the same oil bath, though the engine provides most of the heat. At a bit less than 9000 miles, I have not noticed the symptoms you described.
2021 Himalayan
2014 Yamaha XVS950

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #93 on: December 17, 2023, 02:11:34 am
The transmission and the engine share the same oil bath, though the engine provides most of the heat.
someone suggested if i disconnect the battery it will reset.
it's going to rain the next day or so, so it'll sit for a bit and i'll try it again.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #94 on: December 18, 2023, 09:15:07 pm
another lovely day for a ride to the park. and more serpentines, getting more comfortable. neutral light still acting funky, works after riding a while.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 09:24:45 pm by him a layin »

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #95 on: December 29, 2023, 01:53:10 am
rode up to the yadkin.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #96 on: January 05, 2024, 09:44:21 pm
i think the tab that goes up under the tank broke off.

Reg Idler

• Scooter
Reply #97 on: January 05, 2024, 10:17:55 pm
i think the tab that goes up under the tank broke off.

That's what it looks like. Bummer. Maybe the cold weather we've been having (mornings have been in the 20s F, and I think you're not very far from where I live) made the plastic brittle.

Perhaps you can use a pair of short sheet-metal screws to affix a piece of, say, 1/4-inch aluminum cut and filed to shape to the seat pan as a temporary repair until you can get a new seat.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #98 on: January 05, 2024, 11:22:41 pm
That's what it looks like. Bummer. Maybe the cold weather we've been having (mornings have been in the 20s F, and I think you're not very far from where I live) made the plastic brittle.

Perhaps you can use a pair of short sheet-metal screws to affix a piece of, say, 1/4-inch aluminum cut and filed to shape to the seat pan as a temporary repair until you can get a new seat.
+! i like this plan, except for the new seat part.

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #99 on: January 06, 2024, 01:57:28 am

Add some JB Weld to the equation and forget the new seat.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #100 on: January 06, 2024, 10:52:58 am
Add some JB Weld to the equation and forget the new seat.
i can do that, used some wd40 to fix my pentax last week.

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #101 on: January 21, 2024, 05:32:38 pm
Had some company on my ride yesterday. Stopped for a brief conversation. Free range out here. I still have some cow pies I need to pick up in the front yard ;-)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #102 on: January 21, 2024, 05:47:58 pm

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #103 on: January 30, 2024, 02:58:23 am
lovely day for a ride. down to chicken pond, then beside the rr tracks to yadkin park on the river. dumped it on slick clay trying to climb a hill, no harm done, a thick coating of mud protects the paint. still having the on-again off-again problem with the neutral light.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 03:01:54 am by him a layin »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #104 on: January 30, 2024, 05:31:05 am
Great Pics! Spring is springing here in the foothills, looks like you are almost there in your neck of the woods. Thanks for showing the countryside. Nice shot of your Himalayan taking a break. The ways of clay are a mystery to me, cactus and sand make more sense.

Maybe pop-rivets have some utility for that seat repair? I know black electric tape will heal a lot of foo-foo electronical indication concern. I've never really understood the factory obsession with gear & neutral indication. My new-to-me  Bajaj scooter has a useful shrieking piezo-buzzer that lets my half-deef ears know I've left my turn signal on, pee-pop style. I do find that useful... ;D

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #105 on: February 07, 2024, 09:24:25 pm
another lovely day for a foray to the pond. heron, canada geese and something i think was a grebe. then down to my credit union atm, and up to the plaza to practice serpentines, which went well. some A.H. ran a stop sign but i managed to dodge him.

NJ-Brett

• Bulleteer
Reply #106 on: February 12, 2024, 01:01:10 pm
I had a Himalayan in the past and sold it as being too heavy for me in the sand around here.
When looking for this years bike I went to all the dealers around sitting on bikes, and one had the scrambler and Himalayan
next to each other along with the Classic 350 and all the other models.
The Scrambler felt MUCH lighter (less top heavy) then the Himalayan or even the Classic, the Hunter felt light.
Off road, its still over 400 pounds, but feels better then the Himalayan.
Looking at the bike, not a lot of weight can be removed without spending a lot of money.
Lighter silencer/exhaust, battery.
Lighter wheels/tires will cost a LOT.
The bike is sturdy, its got thick spokes, solid rims, steel frame and swingarm, 4 gallon gas tank and a heavy engine.
And its a big bike, not a little thing.
If you want light, this is not the bike for you off road.
It IS light for a street bike.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #107 on: February 12, 2024, 01:30:42 pm
I had a Himalayan in the past and sold it as being too heavy for me in the sand around here.
When looking for this years bike I went to all the dealers around sitting on bikes, and one had the scrambler and Himalayan
next to each other along with the Classic 350 and all the other models.
The Scrambler felt MUCH lighter (less top heavy) then the Himalayan or even the Classic, the Hunter felt light.
Off road, its still over 400 pounds, but feels better then the Himalayan.
Looking at the bike, not a lot of weight can be removed without spending a lot of money.
Lighter silencer/exhaust, battery.
Lighter wheels/tires will cost a LOT.
The bike is sturdy, its got thick spokes, solid rims, steel frame and swingarm, 4 gallon gas tank and a heavy engine.
And its a big bike, not a little thing.
If you want light, this is not the bike for you off road.
It IS light for a street bike.

+1 I love my Himalayan and it's a fine bike for poking around on dirt roads, but it's no more of an off-road bike than my Interceptor.  ;D

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #108 on: February 13, 2024, 10:35:18 am
i've dropped pokey twice now, once in slick clay and once on wet grass. no, it's not a dirt bike. and i've had bigger more powerful road bikes that weigh about the same, i think the real diff is the weight distribution. the himalayan (maybe all ADV bikes?) seems top-heavy.

the desire to strip off or swap out for less weight is strong, as is the desire to go big-bore or other performance improvements, but for now it's going to stay stock or nearly so. i'm 70 years old and this is my return to motorcycles after 35 years away, and as a re-learner bike i'm very satisfied, it gets me around to interesting places with less temptation to do stupid chit that could get me kilt. it still makes me nervous to go over 50 mph. at some point i may feel confident enough to get something with more giddy-up, i have a grail bike in mind, and the continental gt 650 is visually appealing.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #109 on: February 13, 2024, 04:08:37 pm
These have always intrigued me. They really hold their price too, so people like them. Light and capable in dryer conditions, not snotty power sucking mud. The tires allow for excellent flotation in sand. The 18 or so ponies are enough for the weight. Nice package.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_TW200
https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/reviews/yamaha-tw200-review-2023/
https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_TW%20200%2018.htm
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 04:12:12 pm by AzCal Retred »

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #110 on: February 13, 2024, 06:40:45 pm
These have always intrigued me. They really hold their price too, so people like them. Light and capable in dryer conditions, not snotty power sucking mud. The tires allow for excellent flotation in sand. The 18 or so ponies are enough for the weight. Nice package.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_TW200
https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_TW%20200%2018.htm

A couple of guys in our off-road club have them and I'm always amazed at how competent they are. Really nice bikes, especially if you're not in a rush. ;)

NJ-Brett

• Bulleteer
Reply #111 on: February 14, 2024, 08:57:40 pm
I have had three TW200's and may have another at some point.
They are great in the sand and mud, great at a lower pace off road, very comfortable and easy to ride off road.
Under 280 pounds, low seat, fat tires, replace the poor front tire with something better, the stock one is no good on street or dirt.
You can upgrade the suspension to go faster in the rough, air down the tires to 5 or 6 psi, change the very low gearing so it can hit 70 mph, get a big gas tank and many other goodies.
Its a reliable solid bike.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #112 on: February 21, 2024, 09:42:03 pm
at last, another lovely day. did my serpentines, noticed my fuel was low. 2.9 gallons, cashier let me slide on the 8 cents. then to the pond and down to the next town to visit.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #113 on: February 28, 2024, 11:53:53 pm
i really hate to say this.... as much as i love the ride...
a couple of days ago i hurt myself moving gravel around the house, and it put me in bed for two days and right now i've haematuria and abdominal twinges and frankly i'm afraid i might not be able to right the bike if i drop it. maybe it's nature's way of gently saying i'm too old for this born-to-be-wild nonsense. or maybe i need to sacrifice raw power and get something lighter, maybe a vespa (overpriced) or that yamaha 200 mentioned further up..do they still make enudro dual-purpose bikes? i'm not ready to panic and get out of riding, but i think i see writing on the wall up ahead...

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #114 on: February 29, 2024, 12:55:34 am
The 260-280 pound TW200 is a hot property. Here's a 2023 test link. As NJ Brett sez the TW200s are flexible in application and parts are readily available. Ride the bike, don't let the bike ride you. Get your $1500 - $2500 in hand & go do some test rides. 120-140 pounds less pudge is a wonderful thing. Somehow the venerable 1976 XL250 Honda dual purpose enduro made 24HP & tipped the scales at a mere 300 pounds with turn signals. The TW200 simply follows in these footsteps, and the floaty tires are a bonus. Test rides are free... ;D

https://www.moto-data.net/honda/xl-250-1976-1977

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_xl250_76.html#google_vignette

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #115 on: February 29, 2024, 01:20:40 am
While it takes longer and longer to recover from injury at our age, don't give up on the Himmy just yet. Give yourself plenty of time to heal and don't make any hasty decisions you may regret later. Once you've recovered and you're back on the road, you'll wonder how you ever thought of getting rid of her.

jadofind

• Scooter
Reply #116 on: February 29, 2024, 11:31:00 pm
I think there's a lesson here, it's better to ride on gravel than to move it around the house. Save the heavy lifting for the youngsters! I've never been too find of moving gravel myself, even at a mere 65 years of age.
2021 Himalayan
2014 Yamaha XVS950

NJ-Brett

• Bulleteer
Reply #117 on: March 01, 2024, 01:01:37 am
I was out on the Scram a few days ago and went to an area I don't get to often as its far away and its 2 hours or more in the dirt and 50 miles or a 40 minute high speed street ride which I can do on the Scram.
Its very sandy in spots and the Scram just hates dry sand. I don't think it does as well as the Himalayan even with less weight up high, maybe because of the 19 inch front wheel, or maybe its just the weight, 400 pounds is just going to sink in thick sand.
You have two choices, get the weight back and give it gas, or go slow and paddle sometimes.
At 65 years old on a 400 pound bike, giving it gas is a good way to get air lifted out of the woods, I have had it happen twice so I paddle.
Tires seem to make very little difference in sand on a 400 pound bike.
With a better front tire on the TW, you can ignore sand and just go through it.
But I can't do 70 mph in traffic for an hour on the TW.
Wet sand is much better so I like going out during or after a good rain.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #118 on: March 01, 2024, 02:31:45 am
you guys are awesome, thank you all.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #119 on: March 02, 2024, 02:41:16 pm
i really hate to say this.... as much as i love the ride...
a couple of days ago i hurt myself moving gravel around the house, and it put me in bed for two days and right now i've haematuria and abdominal twinges and frankly i'm afraid i might not be able to right the bike if i drop it. maybe it's nature's way of gently saying i'm too old for this born-to-be-wild nonsense. or maybe i need to sacrifice raw power and get something lighter, maybe a vespa (overpriced) or that yamaha 200 mentioned further up..do they still make enudro dual-purpose bikes? i'm not ready to panic and get out of riding, but i think i see writing on the wall up ahead...

They make lot's dual/sport enduro bikes, the Suzuki DR400 is one of the best, mine is 20 years old, a veteran of several years of NETRA  competition and still looks and runs great, it's a DR400EZ the dedicated off-road version, so it's little lighter than the street legal ones. The problem is that all of the current "enduros" with the exception of the TW Yamaha are very tall due to their MX inspired suspension.

They, I'm thinking of the KTM, BETA  etc here, can also have some explosive power, which can get you in trouble until you get used to them. So consider carefully and try to get some seat time on one before you give up your Himi.

NJ-Brett

• Bulleteer
Reply #120 on: March 02, 2024, 04:54:55 pm
In the US, you have the XT250 which is 290 pounds wet, low seat, good ground clearance, 2.6 gallons of gas and fuel injected.
It runs great. 70 mph top speed roughly.

The TW200, 280 pounds, with a gearing change, 65 mph top speed roughly, low seat, fat tires.

The Kawasaki KLX 230 and 230s (lower version) 290 pounds, 71/72 mph top speed (speed limited) 6 speed trans, great engine.
2 gallon gas tank (too small).

Honda XR150, 282 pounds, 2.8 gallon gas tank, 65 mph.

Various Euro bikes, generaly expensive, high performance, high maintance.

For street bikes, you had the TU250 ,320 pounds, 3.2 gallons, 70 to 90 mph top speed wind dependant, 80+ mpg fuel injected bullet proof motor, super easy to maintain.

Honda Monkey/Grom, 230 pounds, low seat, 55/60 mph, 120 mpg, more fun you can not have on a bike, street or dirt.

The Royal Enfield Hunter, unsure of the weight but it feels light.
The classic 350, 450 pounds, feels heavy and it is.
Scram411, 420 pounds, feels heavy and it is, but not for a street bike.

We may get the new cb350 and the W250, maybe.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #121 on: March 03, 2024, 12:40:45 am
In the US, you have...
nice summary, thanks. :)
took my bicycle for a short ride, tired but no blood, hoping to go again tomorrow. expect to wait another week or two before risking the motorcycle.

internet says the hunter 350 is 181kg/399 lbs.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 12:45:19 am by him a layin »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #122 on: March 03, 2024, 01:08:28 am
The TW200 at about 260-280 pounds will seem like a minibike. A 200cc machine is amazingly proficient and losing +100 pounds off of the machine feels amazing on the cow-trail. If you need to run 70 on the super-slab, take the fambly truckster. AC, seat belt, full cage & stereo on a road covered with careless eejits, racoons, potholes and random trash.

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #123 on: March 03, 2024, 02:02:34 am
The TW200 at about 260-280 pounds will seem like a minibike. A 200cc machine is amazingly proficient and losing +100 pounds off of the machine feels amazing on the cow-trail. If you need to run 70 on the super-slab, take the fambly truckster. AC, seat belt, full cage & stereo on a road covered with careless eejits, racoons, potholes and random trash.

Unfortunately some folk have to ride that super-slab to get to those cow trails. Not everyone is as lucky as some of us who have those cow trails cutting through our front yard (literally).It's nice to have a bike that can do both.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #124 on: March 03, 2024, 03:07:34 pm
Where there's a will, and a few bucks, there's a way. Harbor Freight strikes again! ;D

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #125 on: March 16, 2024, 02:38:12 am
dr says i've got a hernia. no riding or heavy lifting for me for a while. :(
i'm really glad i got the bike and have been able to ride it as long as i have, we'll see about the future when we get there.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 02:44:57 am by him a layin »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #126 on: March 16, 2024, 03:24:06 am
Sachs Madass - 200 pounds of fun. The 190cc/212cc 5 speed  -Zongshen makes about 18-22 hp.
 200 pounds ain't much more than your e-bike....  ;D
https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Sachs/sachs_madass_125.htm

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #127 on: March 17, 2024, 01:44:26 am
The Himalayan can be lightened a fair bit by removing the heavy birdcage around the front of the bike, along with the rack and plastic extensions at the rear fender. Not in the photograph, but I subsequently put in a much lighter Lexmark silencer from HCM. This has completely changed the handling and top heavy nature of the bike.

The headlight was remounted with interceptor brackets, and I bent/painted/drilled a couple of holes in two 1” strips of metal for the instrument panel.

Not needed for your immediate needs, but a Hitchcock’s cam and Powertronic totally made this come alive.

Amongst the wonderful suggestions by others, I would also highly recommend a Suzuki TU250….amazingly well mannered, nimble, light and responsive bike…higher top speed than all current RE 411 and 350 bikes. Totally bulletproof and reliable as well.

Best wishes for your full and speedy recovery.

2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #128 on: March 18, 2024, 01:27:19 am

Best wishes
thanks very much. what's that jeep, and what else are you hiding in your garage?

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #129 on: March 18, 2024, 11:21:55 am
1945 WW2 Willys MB

2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome