Author Topic: Interceptor Front Sprocket noise  (Read 3218 times)

lekosiet

• Scooter
on: January 14, 2020, 08:52:18 pm
Hi all,

I've just done about 1300km on my interceptor.  Is it normal to have the chain on the front sprocket be so noisy?  (Or at least, I think it's the chain).

it's a loud buzzing/hissing sound, only when the motorcycle is in-gear (any gear, any speed) and throttle is open. When in neutral or when clutch is pulled in, there's no noise, even when rev'ing.         

The chain is set to the right tension, and is being kept clean and lubricated.

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 09:57:25 pm
Not much to check...

Chain tension...make sure you use the proper procedure to achieve the proper chain tension.  Some bike are measured while on the center stand (rear wheel unloaded) while some measure chain tension with the bike on the side stand...slight load. makes a big difference.  Anything toward the too tight side of things will bring noises.  I adjust my chains to the looser end of the specified range.

Chain alignment....again sometimes difficult to really get correct...slight misalignment means big noise.

Many bikes have a "rubber" layer onto the side of the sprocket in an attempt to lessen or dampen chain noise.

Just the way it is....My Suzuki has always been noisy at the front sprocket...tried many solutions...slight improvement but still noisy...even new sprocket, and new chain..check tension and alignment etc.  55,000 miles and nothing bad has happened yet!

Cookie

Cookie

Hi all,

I've just done about 1300km on my interceptor.  Is it normal to have the chain on the front sprocket be so noisy?  (Or at least, I think it's the chain).

it's a loud buzzing/hissing sound, only when the motorcycle is in-gear (any gear, any speed) and throttle is open. When in neutral or when clutch is pulled in, there's no noise, even when rev'ing.         

The chain is set to the right tension, and is being kept clean and lubricated.

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 10:15:22 pm
Looking at the INT650 manual, I looks like they are asking for 30 to 40 mm chain slack...it also looks as if the bike is supported on a lift stand with no load on the rear suspension. 
For us "Umericuns" that's just over 1.5 inches of free play.

Most rear suspensions cause the chain to become tighter as the rear is loaded and the shocks and springs compress.  So the 1.5 inch becomes quite a bit tighter during bumps, g load in turns etc.

I would set it as as per the book, but closer to the 40 mm (1.5") and then put the bike down on the ground, on side stand, and then take a look at the slack, with the rear loaded with only the weight of the bike itself.  I would expect to see between 3/4 inch to 1 inch of chain slack.  Any less than this, I would suspect a too tight condition.. Rider, especially  heavy rider will further tighten up the chain.

Cookie

NuttyRusty

• Bulleteer
  • Little Snoring, United Kingdom
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 05:03:51 pm
Hidehi lekosiet,  you say that the noise disappeared when the clutch is pulled, is this whilst stationary?  If you are moving and pull the clutch and freewheel along does the noise remain?   

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 06:27:55 pm
chain adjustment per owners manual 'park motorcycle upright'. Can they get more vague?

I always use sidestand to set/check clearance as many bikes have only sidestand and set on loose side of spec. Including my strom and dr650.

No Royal Enfield yet for me just a big interest plus it is 200 miles to nearest dealer so it is a commitment.
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where

past machines: BSA Lightning, HD FX1200, 75/6 BMW, 90/6, R80RT, R100RT, K75S, current machines: DR650, DL650.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 09:18:56 pm
My chain doesn't make any noise when I'm stopped ;) I don't hear anything but exhaust (stock) and wind noise when I ride. I suppose I could take a ride, pull in the clutch and shut off the motor and coast. I might hear something then. If it is your chain it is probably not aligned or tightened.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 11:21:49 pm

Ha Ha..something lost in the translation somewhere?

Suzuki seems to want the chain adjusted with the bike partially loaded, on the side stand.  Other brands spec with the rear wheel up in the air.

I think park motorcycle upright, means center stand with rear wheel up in the air, no load.

Here is the problem...If you mistakenly use the "sidestand" spec, but with the bike on the center stand...it will result in a way over tight chain, once the rear end is loaded.  Ask me how I know this!

The 40 mm spec for Royal Enfield is quite loose. (for sidestand)   So I suspect adjustment is with the rear wheel elevated.

My Suzuki asks for 20mm to 30mm while on the side stand.  Oddly the owners manual specifically mentions "while on the side stand" yet the repair manual shows some earlier checks on the center stand...and then goes directly to setting chain slack...without mentioning to put  the bike on the side stand.

My recommendation (FWIW)...do the Enfield on the center stand...at close to the max (40mm)...then lower the bike to the side stand and see what's what.  If it comes out to around 25 to 30mm...I would go with that.  Any tighter and I would be cautious.

Cookie

chain adjustment per owners manual 'park motorcycle upright'. Can they get more vague?

I always use sidestand to set/check clearance as many bikes have only sidestand and set on loose side of spec. Including my strom and dr650.

No Royal Enfield yet for me just a big interest plus it is 200 miles to nearest dealer so it is a commitment.

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 01:47:28 am
30-45 mm on sidestand for the DR650.
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where

past machines: BSA Lightning, HD FX1200, 75/6 BMW, 90/6, R80RT, R100RT, K75S, current machines: DR650, DL650.

lekosiet

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 12:08:04 am
Thank you all for the answers, sorry I'm slow on the reply, I've been missing in action a bit.    a bit of a hectic start of year.

We've just moved house, so the hard copy of my manual is still somewhere in a box.   I've downloaded a soft copy from the official Royal Enfield website.   
in this one, they state the chain tension should be 20-30mm, (image attached) measured in the center of the axis and the tyre.
A few of you mentioned 30mm-40mm, is that measured in the center of the two sprockets then?

Looking at the INT650 manual, I looks like they are asking for 30 to 40 mm chain slack...it also looks as if the bike is supported on a lift stand with no load on the rear suspension. 
For us "Umericuns" that's just over 1.5 inches of free play.

Most rear suspensions cause the chain to become tighter as the rear is loaded and the shocks and springs compress.  So the 1.5 inch becomes quite a bit tighter during bumps, g load in turns etc.

I would set it as as per the book, but closer to the 40 mm (1.5") and then put the bike down on the ground, on side stand, and then take a look at the slack, with the rear loaded with only the weight of the bike itself.  I would expect to see between 3/4 inch to 1 inch of chain slack.  Any less than this, I would suspect a too tight condition.. Rider, especially  heavy rider will further tighten up the chain.

Cookie

Hidehi lekosiet,  you say that the noise disappeared when the clutch is pulled, is this whilst stationary?  If you are moving and pull the clutch and freewheel along does the noise remain?   
That's the thing, yes, the noise disappears when the clutch is pulled in when freewheeling. so it might not even be the chain.    haven't heard it while the bike is stationary.  I'll have to test that!

My chain doesn't make any noise when I'm stopped ;) I don't hear anything but exhaust (stock) and wind noise when I ride. I suppose I could take a ride, pull in the clutch and shut off the motor and coast. I might hear something then. If it is your chain it is probably not aligned or tightened.
haha, that's the fix then!               I first heard it when chatting to my wife on the back, at low speed, with my visor open, it started to bug me and I've been listening for it ever since, it is there regardless of the speed, but obviously gets muffled by the wind noise when i try to listen to it at higher speeds, so can't really tell if it gets louder or stays the same..
Good idea to shut off the engine, I'll also try that this weekend!

NuttyRusty

• Bulleteer
  • Little Snoring, United Kingdom
Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 10:16:17 am
Lekosiet,  if the noise disappeared when rolling and with the clutch pulled ,  with the noise you describe, I would return to the dealer.
All the normal engine noises will remain whether the clutch is in or out, by pulling the clutch you have eliminated the final drive.
You describe it as a loud hissing / buzzing noise ?  It may simply be transmission noise that will fade with miles,  make sure that the oil level is correct and compare if possible with another machine. Keep us posted.

butts

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 03:18:41 pm
Remember to check out tight spot on the chain and adjust from there.