Author Topic: Those with 2 into 1 exhaust - questions.  (Read 2230 times)

glhboy

• Indiana
  • Scooter
on: April 15, 2021, 07:18:57 pm
Whether it be Tec or another brand.  I'm going with the S&S (I ordered it yesterday and it'll be here in a couple days).  Anyway, no one can seem to let me know if I need new exhaust gaskets (rings) that go into the head of the bike.  Can I reuse what's in there or?  What is the part# if I do need some.  What did you all do for the Tec?
Indiana

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 07:24:18 pm
I installed the new TEC pipes over the original copper gaskets.  This has been my usual practice for many exhaust installations.  I've never had a leak attributable to this method.   Some will cringe, others applaud heartily.

The original gaskets will very likely remain in the head.

glhboy

• Indiana
  • Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 07:28:57 pm
I installed the new TEC pipes over the original copper gaskets.  This has been my usual practice for many exhaust installations.  I've never had a leak attributable to this method.   Some will cringe, others applaud heartily.

The original gaskets will very likely remain in the head.

Thanks for the quick reply!  I had wondered. Did yours remain in the head as well? I only have 100 miles on my bike so far.  The S&S says it comes with all that's needed, but I wondered about those.  Would you happen to have a part# for them just in case or point me where I could find them?  I can't seem to get anything about them online. 

I did try to get a hold of Tec about their exhaust, but I get no replies...
Indiana

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 07:38:03 pm
Tec reccomend to use new copper gaskets(supplied) so I did.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 07:42:49 pm
Yep, the copper crush rings stayed in the head.  My TEC system came with two new copper rings of 43mm dia.  I'd imagine S&S will include a pair. 

Sorry, I don't have a PN.  Hitchcocks can probably help with that.

TEC USA does, indeed, seem challenged by email correspondence.  Many of us have had that experience.

If you end up "gasket bereft" PM me with your address and I'll give you a pair.

glhboy

• Indiana
  • Scooter
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 07:43:08 pm
Tec reccomend to use new copper gaskets(supplied) so I did.

Do you have part#'s for those?  Where to get?
Indiana

glhboy

• Indiana
  • Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 08:10:06 pm
Yep, the copper crush rings stayed in the head.  My TEC system came with two new copper rings of 43mm dia.  I'd imagine S&S will include a pair. 

Sorry, I don't have a PN.  Hitchcocks can probably help with that.

TEC USA does, indeed, seem challenged by email correspondence.  Many of us have had that experience.

If you end up "gasket bereft" PM me with your address and I'll give you a pair.

Thanks! I may need to take you up on that!  I appreciate it.
Indiana

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Streetliight

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 05:48:19 pm
Me reading this thread, having never installed an exhaust on a motorcycle: "There were copper gaskets installed from the factory?"

Looks like I'll be removing my TEC exhaust to investigate when I get home lmao. Weirdly enough, when putting my hands all over the exhaust after starting it, I didn't have any leaks. Real big brain move on my part  ::)

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 06:11:58 pm
I'd leave it alone if it's not leaking.  Why tempt the Gods???

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 06:17:40 pm
Me reading this thread, having never installed an exhaust on a motorcycle: "There were copper gaskets installed from the factory?"

Looks like I'll be removing my TEC exhaust to investigate when I get home lmao. Weirdly enough, when putting my hands all over the exhaust after starting it, I didn't have any leaks. Real big brain move on my part  ::)

Honest question (not sarcastic): If it is not leaking, why take it off? Some folks do not replace the copper header gaskets every time they remove the headers. So it isn't really that weird that there is no leak. Get a pair for the shelf and wait to see if you ever need them. They are fairly cheap.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Streetliight

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 06:27:45 pm
Honest question (not sarcastic): If it is not leaking, why take it off? Some folks do not replace the copper header gaskets every time they remove the headers. So it isn't really that weird that there is no leak. Get a pair for the shelf and wait to see if you ever need them. They are fairly cheap.
I think you might be misunderstanding me, I didn't take any gaskets out and I put the gaskets in that TEC supplied...the video didn't mention taking the old ones out, and I received zero instructions with the exhaust like some other folks received. So I just stuck the gaskets in there and tightened it down lol.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 06:33:12 pm
I think you might be misunderstanding me, I didn't take any gaskets out and I put the gaskets in that TEC supplied...the video didn't mention taking the old ones out, and I received zero instructions with the exhaust like some other folks received. So I just stuck the gaskets in there and tightened it down lol.
I did miss that. Thinking about it ...    ...  my comment stands unchanged. Those are also called crush washers. They adapt(squish) to the two surfaces. No leak, no worries unless you are really weight conscious.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Streetliight

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: April 16, 2021, 06:44:34 pm
I did miss that. Thinking about it ...    ...  my comment stands unchanged. Those are also called crush washers. They adapt(squish) to the two surfaces. No leak, no worries unless you are really weight conscious.
Haha, not weight conscious to that extent! You really think having two washers in each pipe isn't problematic in any way though?