Author Topic: Replaced C5 chain at 6500 miles  (Read 9348 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
on: July 17, 2011, 06:26:01 am
My chain was looking a little haggard so I decided to replace it even though I usually get more mileage from a chain.  I'm glad I did!  When I got it off it had many frozen links and more of the chain was stiff than freely moving.  I lubed it with Dupont teflon spray about every 300 miles.  Some of these chains seem to last and some don't.  r80t just posted that he's at 11,000 miles on the original and it's doing just fine.

The rear sprocket had just the teeniest bit of wear, you have to look really closely to see it.  No idea on the front as I did not remove the side plate.  The rear usually goes first so I just figured it was ok.

I didn't want to spend a ton of money so I got a DID 530 standard roller chain, no o-rings.  DID makes some nice chains.  It was only about $45 shipped with two master links.  It turns out that it came with a master link included so now I have two spares instead of the one I planned :P

It feels much better.  There was a groaning from the engine on accel, hills,and especially on decel.  That's all gone now.  It's smooth as silk.

I'm going to install the semi-automated Loobman oiler and see how that works out.  I'll let you know when I know more.

Scott

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 07:02:43 am
I would have figured you for a Scott Oiler man, myself.   ;)

18,000 km on my chain, but it's about done, along with the rest of the expendables.  No sprocket wear to speak of, but I haven't looked at the front one. 
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 07:26:39 am
I'm curious to see if your mileage improves with the more freely moving chain.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 08:01:05 am
Me 2.  I find it hard to believe it could affect it that much but stranger things have happened.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 08:47:15 am
Replaced mine at 5300 miles with an Iwis. The stock chain wore very unevenly and became impossible to adjust - one inch of slack at the tight spot meant over two inches of slack further along. No wear on rear sprocket or front. Improvement in running was immediately noticeable. No change in mileage - 85mpg (UK) before & since.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 09:04:00 am by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 01:31:53 pm
Scotty, doesn't the front sprocket go first? On my bikes like 2 or 3 to one. Of course in the enfields case you may be right ,with the rear being cast iron and therefore not hardened. At 7000 miles I'm keeping a close eye on the rear since this is the first bike I have had with a ci rear sprocket.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 01:41:44 pm
Scotty, doesn't the front sprocket go first? On my bikes like 2 or 3 to one. Of course in the enfields case you may be right ,with the rear being cast iron and therefore not hardened. At 7000 miles I'm keeping a close eye on the rear since this is the first bike I have had with a ci rear sprocket.

Front sprocket on UCE is not CI and it does not loose its teeth like the rear sprocket. When I replaced the chain set, I checked the front and it was as good as new but still changed it anyways as it was cheap.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 03:35:41 pm
I've never seen a front sprocket outlast a rear. Maybe Enfield has a secret there. Seen a lot of countershaft sprockets worn down to just nubs for teeth and were actually jumping links on the chain, and the rears were still serviceable.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 05:26:19 pm
UCE has better quality front sprocket and a beefier one then CI ones.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 09:53:57 pm
Me 2.  I find it hard to believe it could affect it that much but stranger things have happened.

Scott

Losses are losses.  Can't see it being a big factor, but if it's a hundred little things instead of just one thing...

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 10:28:23 pm
Front sprocket of these new bikes (EFI) is tough, high quality and can last long time. Took some pictures of the 17 Tooth sprocket of my G5 after 15,000 miles on it - Looks in great shape (16831A).

I don't think Scotty has anything to worry about his bike's sprocket. DID chain is excellent choice for his C5.

I had received a new 18 Tooth sprocket from CMW (16321A).  

You can compare the two and judge for yourself how they look. Funny that the older one in top picture looks cleaner than new one  ;D !
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 10:47:41 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 10:44:00 pm
scooter bob told us 3 adjustments are about all you would want to get out of a stock chain.
I'm thinking 5-7k is about right.
we keep a Tsubaki non o ring for replacement.
not sure if o ring chain would fit.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 11:46:38 pm
I recall reading somewhere that an o-ring would fit on the C5.  I figure I should just ask for some scrap length of a good o-ring chain or an old one at the shop one day to test it.  I can just attach it and try to pull it through with the existing chain.

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 12:59:33 am
The C5 comes stock with an O ring chain.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 05:11:02 am
Yes, but they're the thinnest o-rings I've ever seen.  I'm sure many aftermarket x/o-ring chains might be a little wider.

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 05:39:43 am
Scotty, doesn't the front sprocket go first?

I coulda swored I remembered reading somewhere that the rear wears faster when the chain stretches/elongates because there is more length to wrap more teeth.  The front is affected less because there are fewer teeth involved and so less cumulative stretch in the length of chain around it.  I could be mis-remembering.  Either way, the rear looked pretty good and I hadn't done too many adjustments.  The reason for replacing the chain was the general stiffness and frozen spots.  There have been a few reports of early chain demise and frozen links are not a good sign.  Oh, and I saw the chain and sprockets at the shop of someone who had done no adjustments and no lubing. That's not how I role but what a mess!  Missing teeth, totally shredded.  I don't need my chain devolving into that mess on a Monday morning commute at 70mph.

I've always replaced both sprockets and the chain as a set but A) I wasn't in the mood to remove the side cover and B) I don't have much cash right now.  I figured this was a good time to test how long a regular chain can last if well cared for.  A good x-ring chain and sprockets would have been $150 easy, I spent about $45 and 10 minutes to install it, it's a devil's bargain.  If it goes well I may save myself quite a bit of money in the coming years not buying any more x-ring chains :)

Losses are losses.  Can't see it being a big factor, but if it's a hundred little things instead of just one thing...

102 actually, links that is ;)  The sport bike community often debates the merits of energy savings of a non o-ring chain.  It's one of those things that's hotly debated without ever bringing any acutal data to the table ;)  I think compared to slinging 4-5 pounds of steel chain around two corners (sprockets) at those speeds the friction of the rubber seals is negligible.  We don't see different MPG in C5 vs, G5, one o-ring one not.  Still, I'll keep tabs on my mileage.  I'm curious too, and the chain was really stiff.

Scott

Scott
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 06:02:42 am by Ducati Scotty »

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 06:04:06 am
Front sprocket of these new bikes (EFI) is tough, high quality and can last long time. Took some pictures of the 17 Tooth sprocket of my G5 after 15,000 miles on it - Looks in great shape (16831A).

I don't think Scotty has anything to worry about his bike's sprocket. DID chain is excellent choice for his C5.

I had received a new 18 Tooth sprocket from CMW (16321A).  

You can compare the two and judge for yourself how they look. Funny that the older one in top picture looks cleaner than new one  ;D !

Singh JI thanks for sharing the pictures. That clearly shows the quality and setup of UCE is quite good for a longer life of the front sprocket. I changed mine at 9k miles and the front was as good as new. Going by your picture at15k I think it's safe to assume the front sprocket will easily last two chain sets from new.

@Scott I feel the O-ring chain on C5 is wide enough(2 Cm). How wider are the aftermarket O-ring chains ? If it's more wider then that could create more drag and effect performance.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 06:13:50 am
It's not the width that creates drag, it's the o-rings pressing against the side plates.  There has to be enough pressure to seal in the grease and seal out the dirt so that's where the drag comes from.  X-rings are better than o-rings.  Better sealing, better lubrication for the rings, and less friction.

Due to the difference in the width of the seals, o-ring chain widths vary.  The C5 chain has very narrow seals and so is narrow for an o-ring chain.  I think others may be wider.  I don't know by how much and I don't know how much more clearance there is on the C5.  That' why I need some scrap chain, to see if it will pass through.

Scott

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 06:39:10 am
Now I know what you meant by wider chain. I agree with you on that, I always felt the rings were too skinny for the chain. That was the thought came to my mind when I took off the chain to clean it and realised how skinny or thin the o-rings were.

It would make sense to go for a wider chain but the issue as you said lies with the clearance and I fee there is not much we can do about it. It's the kick shaft cover which hinders the clearance. Gap from the side of the chain to kick shaft cover is just about 2mm not enough room for a wider one.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 03:25:15 pm
I would have figured you for a Scott Oiler man, myself.   ;)

18,000 km on my chain, but it's about done, along with the rest of the expendables.  No sprocket wear to speak of, but I haven't looked at the front one.  

I would like to revise my previous statement.  Threw a bunch of teeth yesterday.  Sprocket is DONE.  Maybe the front one, too.  The camera angle is bad.  The teeth (what's left of them) look curled in the pic.  They're not.  What they are is broken clean through.  Not real sure how that happened.  I adjusted the chain a month or so ago.  Maybe I had it too tight, though i don't think so. 

Ah well.  I always replace sprockets when I replace chain anyway, but I was hoping to get a few more hops out of her.  I'm a little surprised it got me home with the chain still on it. 

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 03:52:00 pm by Andy »

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 03:49:12 pm
That sprocket was "done" a while ago. You can see the shape of the teeth where they aren't broken. Another vote for chain and sprocket replacement as a set.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 03:53:37 pm
That sprocket was "done" a while ago. You can see the shape of the teeth where they aren't broken. Another vote for chain and sprocket replacement as a set.

I was editing my comments when you posted this. 

I couldn't get a straight-on pic, but it's a bit of an illusion.  The wear on them is very slight. 

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 04:57:08 pm
Andy, check your chain at several different spots.  I'm wondering if it's unevenly worn and is getting loose enough at one spot to shear teeth. 

As for the Scott Oiler, nice product but expensive.  Since I don't have a vacuum port on the RE I'd have to buy the more expensive new electronic model.  Loobman is inexpensive and effective.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 05:05:15 pm
 Maybe you picked up a rock or a piece of metal, while riding. Got in between the chain and sprocket?.... Maybe some frozen rollers on your chain?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 05:16:11 pm
Well, the chain was due for the trash bin, so if I had to pick one, I'd pick the frozen roller theory.  You can see one of the links in the pic that's not quite right.  I've had a few like that from very early on.

I do lube the hell out of it, in case anyone is wondering.   :D

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 05:30:59 pm
Well, the chain was due for the trash bin, so if I had to pick one, I'd pick the frozen roller theory.  You can see one of the links in the pic that's not quite right.  I've had a few like that from very early on.

Side plates mashed too tight ?  O rings bulging  or squirting out of one side?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 05:35:30 pm
*primal shrug*

I think it might just be a crappy chain.  ;)

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 05:48:36 pm
The real answer goes back to motorcycling 101.
chain and sprockets get replaced as a set. If financial conditions don't allow, then we make do with just a chain, full knowing the new chain won't last very long and the existing sprockets already have wear patterns that will finish them off with the new chain.
the teeth hooking is normal with wear but we dont notice it because who stares at their sprockets?
The OE chain by SB's experience is just ok. 3-4 adjustments with good lubing is the best you can expect, then its so unevenly stretched (worn) that its done.
textbook is to look for tight-loose-tight-loose with wheel rotation.
and/or laying the chain on the shop floor "standing up" on the sideplates with the rollers horizontal. flex or bend the chain in an arc using the whole length of the chain, keeping the chain from falling over. if the chain has enough wear to deflect more than 3 or 4 inches, its time to replace. as far as i know, the sprockets are not avail stateside except thru RE. They seem to be of good quality.
My 2 rupees.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 06:03:24 pm

Once your o-ring chain goes bad there isn't enough lube in the world to save it.  The rings that seal dirt out and grease in also seal out any nwe chain lube.  Once the grease inside the o-rings has been exhausted there's no way to get more lube in.  Lube is just to keep the o-rings lubed so they move well, don't wear out, and keep the grease that's there in as long as possible.

Overall, o-rings chains still generally last longer than regular chains in real world conditions where keeping muck out is key and where most of us have less than stellar chaing cleaning and lubing schedules.

Scott

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 06:05:09 pm
I just purchased one of these...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-O-Ring-Drive-Chain-530x102-530-x-102-Links-/290764484134?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item43b2e9ee26

Much more robust that the OEM chain... no problems fitting it... shipping was free... order filled the same day and received two days later by priority mail... tough to beat the price!

Mike and Sherman and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #30 on: September 07, 2012, 06:08:32 pm
I'd spend a little more for a name brand myself but that's mostly to make me sleep better.  I'm sure that will give you a good long time before you change it again.

I may be due for another myself soon.  My LoobMan semi-automated oiler experiment and other lube experiments are failing as far as I can tell since I'm adjusting the chain more frequently than I should be.  As far as I can tell spray on chain wax does not work well for a traditional chain.

Scott
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 06:10:40 pm by Ducati Scotty »

trimleyman

• Bulleteer
  • 1953 or 2011.
Reply #31 on: September 09, 2012, 12:43:31 am
Just replaced chain and sprockets a couple of weeks ago on my G5. Had clocked up 7800 miles on the original standard chain and it was at it's max adjustment. Have to say, suspecting the OEM chain to be an el-cheapo , I was surprised that it had lasted so long. Replaced it with an o-ring chain having gone up from a 17 to 18 tooth front (from Hitchcocks) and replaced the rear drum/sprocket direct from India. Was not initially impressed by the look of the rear drum/sprocket as it was not as well machined  in the drum as the OEM . However, had never been happy with the rear brake , to the point of not feeling secure when braking. Now the rear brake WORKS , oh does it work.
Now to see how well the new chain lasts. Not that I am disappointed with the original as most of my past experience has been with very fast Ducati singles ridden much harder and under more extreme conditions than northern California throws at me.
Now 2011 Royal Enfield G5 and just added 2014 Continental GT and latest 2015 Ducati 803 Scrambler Urban Enduro
Then:-
1978 Ducati 900 GTES
1969 Ducati 350 Desmo Racer
1972 Mototrans Ducati 250 24 Horas
1965 Triumph Tiger Cub 200
1967 BSA Bantum

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #32 on: September 09, 2012, 05:11:43 am
I have just been knocking around the board a bit today and ran across this thread. Chain adjustment and chain replacement are issues we see a lot of. No matter what kind of chain you buy they all wear out. Many riders do not understand the importance of chain adjustment. It is something you MUST keep up on for many reasons. Scotty has given some good advice about chains in this thread (as have others).
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #33 on: September 09, 2012, 12:25:15 pm
Scotty has given some good advice about chains in this thread (as have others).

Good to know.  I just had mine adjusted for the first time by a dealer, who used a pry-bar, screwdriver and a hammer on the right-side chain adjuster to get the chain "tight enough" - one inch travel when the bike is on the center stand, less than one-half inch with my weight on the bike...

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #34 on: September 09, 2012, 03:02:40 pm
Ouch .....  that sounds too tight.

I generally enjoy a tight fit  ;) but, not when it comes to the chain on my bike  :o
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #35 on: September 09, 2012, 03:53:54 pm
Waaaaaay to tight.  You'll probably hear it groaning over bumps.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #36 on: September 09, 2012, 05:47:42 pm
Waaaaaay to tight.  You'll probably hear it groaning over bumps.

Scott

That was me groaning over the bumps - but that's another thread altogether... ;)