Author Topic: UK VEHICLe BAN  (Read 12105 times)

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 05, 2020, 12:56:14 am
Just saw that the UK is going to ban ALL gas, diesel and hybrid vehicles by 2035.   Only electric an hydrogen allowed.   I won't live to see it - would be 114!!!!

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 01:08:35 am
That sounds like an EU thing.  I am surprised in this time of Brexit that the UK would be going in that direction.  So far I haven't heard a plan like that for the U.S. Not even in the great Peoples Republic of Kalifornia - yet, of course.   ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 04:13:19 am
It's probably a lot easier for the average person to see how that could work for them when they are living in a country that is 100 miles wide and 600 long.  By 2035, one will probably be able to drive England N-S with two good 90 minute charge-ups.

Plenty of people here in Chicago are getting electric and hybrid vehicles, not because of any desire to save the world, but because operating costs are so much lower

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 10:55:40 am
The UK ban will be for the sale of new gasoline or diesel engine and hybrid cars, not the use of existing vehicles.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 01:59:20 pm
Just wait until the sale of internal combustion vehicles (including motorcycles, I assume) ends. Then you will find lots of people pining for the good old days of noise and fancy exhaust systems, at which time the price of old ICE lumps like Royal Enfield Bullets will start to soar.  All you have to do is to keep (you and) yours running for that long and you will be in the money.   ;)  Only 15 more years to go.   :'(

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 05:10:56 pm
Interesting, the electric will be produced by burning coal, so much for the Greta carbon neutral plan.  Solar power in the UK will be problematic due to the cloud cover and you won't be able to charge your car at night since the sun does not shine at night.  Therefore the coal fired power plant will need to turned on at night to complete the charge.  Problem there is that you can't turn a coal fired plant on and off with a switch, it takes a long time to get up to temperature, that means the plant will have to be running at least at idle 24-7.  You may say that wind mills will take up the slack, but still have the problem of what happens when the wind slows down or stops when you need a charge.  Elon Musk wants you to install giant Li ion batteries to store the wind power for use at night.  What countries have a monopoly on Li...…… mostly third world dictatorships like Bolivia.  That means you can swap OPEC for LiPEC.  Or perhaps there will be some magic technology improvement using a Zinc-Air or Vanadium Oxide battery.... who knows. Perhaps electric will work in the UK.   
I forgot to mention Hydrogen, currently Hydrogen is stripped off of natural gas, CH4.  So once you strip the Hydrogen off you still have a carbon molecule to deal with, more Greta problems with where that ends up (How Dare You?!!!).  If you get the Hydrogen from sea water using electrolysis, you need to get a lot more energy from wind mills and solar panels. Then you need to use energy to  compress the hydrogen to 2000 psi to store it in a tank.  Where is James Watt when you need some energy calculations?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 05:29:46 pm by mrunderhill1975a »

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 08:47:17 pm
Motorcycles will be ok though. For now.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/petrol-ban-motorbikes/

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 10:16:35 pm

Well now that is interesting.  I doubt you would see that sort of break for motorcycles in the U.S. - and probably not the EU, either.  ???

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 11:08:02 pm
It's probably a lot easier for the average person to see how that could work for them when they are living in a country that is 100 miles wide and 600 long.  By 2035, one will probably be able to drive England N-S with two good 90 minute charge-ups.

620miles x 311miles at widest point. But much longer on our roads! That surprised me, seems terribly small for the number of people. 9th largest island in the world. 1/2 the size of California. There are 11 US states bigger than us. But we've got more castles... and our beer's warmer even if our climate isn't!

I guess size isn't everything  ;D

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 04:30:39 pm
I just stumbled upon this article from the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/jan/29/guardian-to-ban-advertising-from-fossil-fuel-firms-climate-crisis#show-draft-epics

The Guardian will ban advertising from fossil fuel firms to fight climate crisis.  Yeah,.....that ought to help.  Will they ban adverts from electric car manufacturers that use electric from coal fired power plants? Will they turn off their computers, HVAC units because the electric to run them is produced from coal? Virtue signaling at it's finest, the Guardian is holier than thou.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 04:33:18 pm by mrunderhill1975a »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 09:48:33 pm
Might also be of interest.

https://www.amazon.com/Noble-Liar-Distorts-Promote-Liberal-ebook/dp/B07GQJ47Y2/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=The+Noble+Liar&qid=1581024796&sr=8-1

I watch the BBC World News every evening because they cover some international news which my local station do not.  All I ever hear on the SF TV stations are about the latest murder, homeless encampment, non-profit agency asking for contributions to promote their liberal agenda and the occasional cop story about them shooting an attacking criminal and then being investigated for using a gun when the attacking person was only swinging a machete. That is called "over reacting and using unnecessary force", resulting in the cop being placed on administrative leave until the incident can be invested by the district attorney, who usually doesn't want to prosecute the attacker.    >:(

Regarding the BBC, I agree that they put a liberal "progressive" spin on everything and interview people who are of a like mind.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 10:18:22 pm
Interesting, the electric will be produced by burning coal, so much for the Greta carbon neutral plan.  Solar power in the UK will be problematic due to the cloud cover and you won't be able to charge your car at night since the sun does not shine at night.  Therefore the coal fired power plant will need to turned on at night to complete the charge.  Problem there is that you can't turn a coal fired plant on and off with a switch, it takes a long time to get up to temperature, that means the plant will have to be running at least at idle 24-7.  You may say that wind mills will take up the slack, but still have the problem of what happens when the wind slows down or stops when you need a charge.  Elon Musk wants you to install giant Li ion batteries to store the wind power for use at night.  What countries have a monopoly on Li...…… mostly third world dictatorships like Bolivia.  That means you can swap OPEC for LiPEC.  Or perhaps there will be some magic technology improvement using a Zinc-Air or Vanadium Oxide battery.... who knows. Perhaps electric will work in the UK.   
I forgot to mention Hydrogen, currently Hydrogen is stripped off of natural gas, CH4.  So once you strip the Hydrogen off you still have a carbon molecule to deal with, more Greta problems with where that ends up (How Dare You?!!!).  If you get the Hydrogen from sea water using electrolysis, you need to get a lot more energy from wind mills and solar panels. Then you need to use energy to  compress the hydrogen to 2000 psi to store it in a tank.  Where is James Watt when you need some energy calculations?

...at night it's gona be anti solar panels.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/01/200129174512.htm

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 11:45:27 pm
Anti-solar panels.....I love it. Sort of a Sterling Engine type idea. Someone give me a research grant to study that.  That would be fun.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 01:32:55 pm
Anti-solar panels.....I love it. Sort of a Sterling Engine type idea. Someone give me a research grant to study that.  That would be fun.

You know, ask Greta how that should work out, who would lissen to James Watt anyway.  ;)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 03:31:26 pm
The inmates have got control of the asylum.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 06:41:27 pm
You all talk a lot of sense with great advice, but have to disagree with you on this topic. I'm not wanting electric vehicles. I'm not stupid and can see the data on warming, the health of our planet and climate change is not 100% certain. But, if any of us had the same level of info about the health of our bikes, we strip them down and check them out.

I guess I'm 80/ 20 there's a real problem. Even if it was 50/50, if predictions are roughly right, give or take, it's pretty B awful. Why take that risk when there are things we can do.  When you look at the lead times involved, we need to commit to targets now.  It would be way too late if we wait until we are 100% sure.

There are too many people like me, lazy or set in my ways, who need to be encouraged to do the right thing. So, reluctantly, I back the move.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 10:13:43 pm
I live in a city that fronts the Pacific Ocean.  The local bureaucrats are beating the drum about sea level rise, saying that it will rise 3 feet within 10 years.  Personally I have my doubts about that, but the problem that I have is they are calling for a huge multi-billion dollar homeowner bond issue to be paid back by all of the property owners in the county.  The money would go to pay for the construction of walls along the ocean and the SF Bay frontage, to keep the sea from flooding adjacent property (most of which are owned by large commercial businesses). Needless to say a portion of that money would go toward creating a bureaucracy to collect and manage the funds and to determine where the walls get built.  So it appears that global warming and its impact on the world might be a great excuse to raise taxes and create government bureaucracies.   ::)

BTW, for some reason the people who are beating the drum about needing this money seem to have forgotten that 8 counties in the SF Bay Area, including several that do not front directly on the Bay, passed a property tax for this very purpose a few years ago that shows up on our tax bills as a non-descriptive group of letters, SFBRA. If any improvements were ever made with this money I sure haven't heard about them.   >:(

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 19, 2020, 12:13:50 am
Where I live you paid for your own wall if you live waterfront.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: February 19, 2020, 01:14:39 am
Where I live you paid for your own wall if you live waterfront.  ERC

That is the way it should be, but many of the very wealthy business, like Genentch, Google and many other firms that have property along the SF Bay were able to fund and convince the public that they should pay for their shoreline protection and they were able to get the earlier tax passed.  Along the Pacific Ocean there are mostly small homeowners, restaurants and motels who are worried about sea level rise and their interests are being pitted against property owners who do not front the Ocean and may be asked to fund that work. It is a tricky situation.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: March 03, 2020, 10:17:37 pm

The biggest issue in countries that have switched to mainly electric vehicles in 20 years time will be getting the gas.  You may be OK in bigger cities but a road trip might end up needing meticulous planning to avoid running out of fuel as more and more gas stations shut down.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: March 03, 2020, 11:47:05 pm

The biggest issue in countries that have switched to mainly electric vehicles in 20 years time will be getting the gas.  You may be OK in bigger cities but a road trip might end up needing meticulous planning to avoid running out of fuel as more and more gas stations shut down.

Unfortunately, it may be the same thing finding a charging station for your electric vehicle.  Good luck riding in the boondocks and finding a working charging station before you run out of juice.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: March 04, 2020, 10:19:27 pm
E10 fuel under discussion for the UK. Not sure how my 2012 Bullet will like it. Will need to do some forum searching no doubt.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51731757

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 04, 2020, 10:36:37 pm
The problem with E10 is that it degrades plastic/rubber parts, fuel line, air intake components etc.  The stuff is corrosive. It attracts moisture, and after about a month of sitting in the tank in winter, the attracted water can no longer go into solution,......the result is that water condenses in the bottom of the fuel tank where it flakes the metal tank.  Little metal flakes start to get collected in the filter, plug the jets, fuel valve etc.

Perhaps you can tell I am no fan of E10. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 10:38:48 pm by mrunderhill1975a »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: March 04, 2020, 11:51:57 pm
My 2011 Bullet has been using E10 since day one.  So far the only problem has been a melted gas tank float.  However, the replacement that I purchased from Classic Motorworks has lasted for the past 4 years - so far.  :)

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: March 05, 2020, 05:19:52 am
E10 fuel under discussion for the UK. Not sure how my 2012 Bullet will like it. Will need to do some forum searching no doubt.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51731757

There are two main issues:

1) In older/vintage vehicles E10 attacks all sorts of seals and hoses and is a disaster. However in vehicles like UCE bullets that are E10 certified there should be no issues with it attacking engine components.

2)  E10 will separate if it sits too long and you end up with 3 distinct layers of water gas and alcohol in your tank. This is not an issue for a daily drive that is used regularly but anything that is not driven/ridden regularly is going to need stabiliser added to the E10. ( BTW - in Australia it is not legal for marine or aircraft use for this reason)

TLDR: a new E10 certified vehicle ridden daily should have no issues, but do not put it in your snowmobile and store it over summer without stabiliser, and do not even think about using E10 in that vintage manx or goldstar you take to bike shows

« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 05:23:53 am by GlennF »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: March 05, 2020, 01:04:18 pm
I wonder why they use ethanol and not methanol, which is used a a fuel in its own right, speedway bikes use it in the UK, and don't the Indy cars use it?

There was a brand of gasoline/petrol in the UK known as Cleveland Discol with ethanol blended in until 1968!

Interesting reading here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_alcohol_fuel

My own view is that the we should get our fuel from a hole in the ground (apart from methane recovery from bio-waste) and save agricultural land for growing food to feed people, at least until we have a better grip on renewables.

E10 will separate if it sits too long and you end up with 3 distinct layers of water gas and alcohol in your tank. This is not an issue for a daily drive that is used regularly but anything that is not driven/ridden regularly is going to need stabiliser added to the E10.

I foresee a bumper crop of youtube videos on how to build E10 separation vats!

A.

A.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: March 05, 2020, 08:52:23 pm
However in vehicles like UCE bullets that are E10 certified there should be no issues with it attacking engine components.

Thanks for that GlennF and thank for all the other info chaps, I knew what it can do, just not if the EFI was E10 compatible.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: March 07, 2020, 12:29:13 am
I thought they had ethanol fuel in Britain for awhile?  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #29 on: March 07, 2020, 09:29:15 am
Stolen from another source:

For those of us with older bikes and perhaps cars too, this statement from the government regarding the proposals to introduce E10 fuel as the standard on UK forecourts is welcome:

“Increasing the share of bioethanol in petrol by blending up to 10 per cent, known as E10, could provide significant carbon savings, helping us meet our climate change commitments. One of the main barriers to introducing E10 has been vehicle compatibility. Currently, around 95% of petrol cars used in the UK can use E10, but around 700,000 are not warranted by their manufacturers to use E10. This number is expected to decrease as vehicles come to the end of their life. However, some classic and cherished vehicles that are not advised to use E10 will remain in use. The prolonged use of E10 fuel in those older and classic vehicles not under manufacturer warranty can cause corrosion of some rubbers and alloys used in the engine and fuel systems. For those vehicles, the Department remains committed to ensuring that E5 is retained as a protection grade, if E10 is introduced.”

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #30 on: March 07, 2020, 12:55:20 pm
I dunno how reassuring that Nanny State statement could be. For someone with, say, a Norton Commando with one of those fiberglass fuel tanks or most any bike with older Amals Concentrics with original floats, learning that an E5 blend with only 5% ethanol will be made available must be like a teenage girl learning she's only "a little pregnant". Five percent of that spew will still bugger that bike good and proper 'til she cannot move.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 01:55:57 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #31 on: March 07, 2020, 01:42:43 pm
We've had 5% ethanol in 'normal' fuel here for years. Saying that 5% will still be available after 10% becomes the norm is more reassuring than saying that 10% will be all you can have - like it or lump it.

Frank

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: March 07, 2020, 02:48:49 pm
I shall have to ask my friend with the classic BMW sidecar racing outfit where he gets his fuel from. He was using pump gasoline for a long time but switched to racing fuel which he had delivered.

A.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #33 on: March 14, 2020, 04:51:09 pm
I wonder why they use ethanol and not methanol, which is used a a fuel in its own right, speedway bikes use it in the UK, and don't the Indy cars use it?

There was a brand of gasoline/petrol in the UK known as Cleveland Discol with ethanol blended in until 1968!

Interesting reading here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_alcohol_fuel

My own view is that the we should get our fuel from a hole in the ground (apart from methane recovery from bio-waste) and save agricultural land for growing food to feed people, at least until we have a better grip on renewables.

I foresee a bumper crop of youtube videos on how to build E10 separation vats!

A.

A.

Methanol is quite toxic, it's good that it's banned for general purpose even from antifreeze and coolants and such. If the industry was to use it as fuel it would mean serious changes to the vehicle layout. With about half the energy dencity of petrol the fuel tank would need to be double the size, very high compression ratios would be required and many other changes due to the chemical properties. As a blend of lets say 10% you avoid most of these issues and if you take ethanol you get rid of the toxic properties as well.

All fine with clean energy, it's been though some years ago since the world was on 100% renewable energy, and it did't work out that well back than.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforestation

Europeans had lived in the midst of vast forests throughout the earlier medieval centuries. After 1250 they became so skilled at deforestation that by 1500 they were running short of wood for heating and cooking. They were faced with a nutritional decline because of the elimination of the generous supply of wild game that had inhabited the now-disappearing forests, which throughout medieval times had provided the staple of their carnivorous high-protein diet. By 1500 Europe was on the edge of a fuel and nutritional disaster [from] which it was saved in the sixteenth century only by the burning of soft coal and the cultivation of potatoes and maize.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #34 on: March 15, 2020, 12:18:05 am
The biggest reason ethanol is required in gasoline in the USA is because the big corn farming companies have a LOT of money to spend, bribing politicians into passing laws to put it into gasoline.

Everyone knows that it doesn't have as much energy as pure gasoline but that is beside the point when it comes to making money.

The ethanol lobby is also the group that wants the percentage of it raised to 15%.  Again, they don't give a damn about what it will do to all of the vehicles on the road.  Of course, the big auto makers like the idea of making last years cars and trucks obsolete.  It gives them a good lever to use to force the motoring public to buy the new cars and trucks they will make that can use the stuff.

When in doubt, always follow the money trail.  It will give you the answers.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #35 on: March 15, 2020, 06:26:54 pm
I have no doubts what so ever, i am guessing the ethanol ratio was originally ment to make use of the corn surplus instead of letting it rott as surplus there always needs to be if you don't want to risk food shortages in years with lesser sun shine. I could be wrong but that's what I think.  :o

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: March 18, 2020, 01:31:01 pm
I understand there are different varieties of corn/maize, I'm not sure the variety used in animal feed or ethanol production is intended for human consumption.

A.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: March 18, 2020, 05:28:35 pm
Well, I hate to hijack a thread, but since we are talking corn, I just watched a YouTube video from The History Guy on the history of toilet paper and found that in the USA, toilet paper has only been in common use for about 100 years, prior to that, corn cobs and Sear Roebuck catalogs were the product of choice.  The Farmers Almanac had a hole punched into the corner to attach it to a nail in the outhouse on the farm. After reading a page, it could be ripped out and used appropriately.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+the+history+guy+toilet+paper&&view=detail&mid=EBA3CB6CB6BA07A1E916EBA3CB6CB6BA07A1E916&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dyoutube%2520the%2520history%2520guy%2520toilet%2520paper%26qs%3Dn%26form%3DQBVR%26sp%3D-1%26ghc%3D1%26pq%3Dyoutube%2520the%2520history%2520guy%2520toilet%2520paper%26sc%3D0-36%26sk%3D%26cvid%3D58F98B58939A4236A024086975F81D39

Is the cob used to manufacture ethanol as well as the kernels?  Those cobs may become valuable in the near future. ;)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 05:31:48 pm by mrunderhill1975a »

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #38 on: March 18, 2020, 06:09:09 pm
Why go through all the added trouble and expense of making ethanol out of corn, when you can just use it as is?
http://www.tf-energy.com/

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #39 on: March 21, 2020, 07:52:04 pm
Well, I hate to hijack a thread, but since we are talking corn, I just watched a YouTube video from The History Guy on the history of toilet paper and found that in the USA, toilet paper has only been in common use for about 100 years, prior to that, corn cobs and Sear Roebuck catalogs were the product of choice.  The Farmers Almanac had a hole punched into the corner to attach it to a nail in the outhouse on the farm. After reading a page, it could be ripped out and used appropriately.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+the+history+guy+toilet+paper&&view=detail&mid=EBA3CB6CB6BA07A1E916EBA3CB6CB6BA07A1E916&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dyoutube%2520the%2520history%2520guy%2520toilet%2520paper%26qs%3Dn%26form%3DQBVR%26sp%3D-1%26ghc%3D1%26pq%3Dyoutube%2520the%2520history%2520guy%2520toilet%2520paper%26sc%3D0-36%26sk%3D%26cvid%3D58F98B58939A4236A024086975F81D39

Is the cob used to manufacture ethanol as well as the kernels?  Those cobs may become valuable in the near future. ;)

Surprisingly there was still some toalet paper "leftovers" in the supermarket today - gone by next week. 

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: March 21, 2020, 09:23:29 pm
The virus is starting to have an impact on motorcycle manufacturing in both the U.S. and the EU: 
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/virus-ripples-through-motorcycle-industry-as-harley-davidson-ducati-and-other-shut-down-production

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #41 on: March 22, 2020, 12:52:47 pm
The virus is starting to have an impact on motorcycle manufacturing in both the U.S. and the EU: 
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/virus-ripples-through-motorcycle-industry-as-harley-davidson-ducati-and-other-shut-down-production

Not only that, Italy is shutting all non essential bussiness. The vehicle industry is probably in that category, determined by someone. Wonder if this is from Gretas playbook. It might well be time for an extra toilet paper roll.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 12:56:34 pm by Joe_535i »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: March 22, 2020, 01:25:44 pm
You can guarantee certain groups will want to be putting their spin on this. At least it has taken her off the news for a while.

A.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #43 on: March 22, 2020, 02:40:07 pm
Not only that, Italy is shutting all non essential bussiness. The vehicle industry is probably in that category, determined by someone. Wonder if this is from Gretas playbook. It might well be time for an extra toilet paper roll.

I've heard tell that some of the youngsters are calling that Wuhan Flu the "Boomer Remover," clearing the way for the ascendance of our coming autistic nordic teenage overlords like dear grumpy little Greta. So it's only fair to retort, Yes?

So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: March 22, 2020, 02:58:05 pm
 ;D

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #45 on: March 22, 2020, 05:55:44 pm
I've heard tell that some of the youngsters are calling that Wuhan Flu the "Boomer Remover," clearing the way for the ascendance of our coming autistic nordic teenage overlords like dear grumpy little Greta. So it's only fair to retort, Yes?

Ah, that's why a few years back autonomous electric lawnmowers were the big thing.  ;D

I'm sure they work great.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #46 on: March 23, 2020, 03:29:31 am
 ;D
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #47 on: March 26, 2020, 03:37:25 pm
Authistic nordic overlords are waiting for someone to invent the perpetuum mobile so that they can steal it and sell it to the world.  ;)

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #48 on: March 26, 2020, 09:48:34 pm
Yep, time to pass the baton on.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #49 on: March 27, 2020, 02:21:32 pm
Yep, time to pass the baton on.

It's your baton Ove, no one wants it. You going have to figure how to fullfill the CO2 targets that you supported without shutting down the entire economy and no cheating.  ;)

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #50 on: March 28, 2020, 10:54:23 am
That s the false premise. Keep the economy stable or growing until it shuts itself down in maybe 40, 50 years, or take some pain now. Who's going to get the mandate to do that while the rest of the world carries on regardless.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #51 on: March 28, 2020, 04:13:56 pm
That s the false premise. Keep the economy stable or growing until it shuts itself down in maybe 40, 50 years, or take some pain now. Who's going to get the mandate to do that while the rest of the world carries on regardless.

And why would it shut itself down in 40, 50 years if I may ask?

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #52 on: March 28, 2020, 07:17:38 pm
Yep, ok, I'll leave you with that one.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: April 06, 2020, 10:05:25 pm
https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/2020/04/04/letter-using-toilet-paper-adds-to-global-warming/

So we need to go back to using corncobs left over from making ethanol-laced fuel?   :o

My dad grew up on a small farm in the Missouri Ozarks.  He told me that after they ran out of Sears Roebuck catalog pages, they used corncobs in the old outhouse.  :'(

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #55 on: April 06, 2020, 10:11:52 pm
So we need to go back to using corncobs left over from making ethanol-laced fuel?   :o

My dad grew up on a small farm in the Missouri Ozarks.  He told me that after they ran out of Sears Roebuck catalog pages, they used corncobs in the old outhouse.  :'(

I certainly would like the global warming promoters to do it first. The amount of damage making the whole world mad about climate change now corona is beyond believe.

Even if you believe in alternative fuels and powertrains and such the co2 emissions are likely to be higher at first before the tech is advanced. But maybe somene can explain me why I am wrong again.  :-\

Promoting amish lifestyle and driving around in suvs is not too unusual.  ::)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:54:46 pm by Joe_535i »

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #56 on: April 06, 2020, 11:26:22 pm

This Δ . So true.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #57 on: May 09, 2020, 10:31:50 am
The inmates have got control of the asylum.

Well yes, it looks like the future in this town is flying carpets at best, you just got to believe they work well.  ;)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: May 14, 2020, 01:12:09 am
Unfortunately, it may be the same thing finding a charging station for your electric vehicle.  Good luck riding in the boondocks and finding a working charging station before you run out of juice.

Someone once laughed at the automobile for the same thing, while filling his horse's feed bag with oats.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: May 14, 2020, 05:37:00 am

Horse drawn SUVs are all the rage in Dublin I believe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu191oGJ1Jo&feature=youtu.be

Horse Drawn Hummers are also becoming quite a thing:

This one is carrying enough fuel for an extended road trip:

A slightly more sophisticated version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=133&v=nJk16YDjsMw

« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:53:32 am by GlennF »

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #60 on: May 14, 2020, 11:49:53 am
Someone once laughed at the automobile for the same thing, while filling his horse's feed bag with oats.

Well speaking for myself, I don't laugh at electric cars. They work well in the performance segment. The issue is the scale, it's bit like expecting the whole world to drive around in Ferraris. Some issues on the way can be expected I think.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #61 on: May 15, 2020, 12:55:44 am
Horse drawn SUVs are all the rage in Dublin I believe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu191oGJ1Jo&feature=youtu.be

Horse Drawn Hummers are also becoming quite a thing:

This one is carrying enough fuel for an extended road trip:

A slightly more sophisticated version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=133&v=nJk16YDjsMw

That's got definitely future...in svine city. ::)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 01:11:43 am by Joe_535i »

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #62 on: May 16, 2020, 11:24:47 pm
Not sure sophisticated is the right word for that thing...  :-\

In the same vein as the pink stretched hummer limos around here for taking slappers on hens night pub crawls.

Nice work nonetheless.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #63 on: June 26, 2020, 12:56:54 pm
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 12:58:57 pm by Joe_535i »

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #64 on: June 26, 2020, 02:22:20 pm
And the French aim to shoot themselves in the foot again.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/macron-french-auto-rescue-champions-electric-cars-coronavirus-12772386
Well, look on the bright side, at least they are shooting ...
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #65 on: June 26, 2020, 03:13:17 pm
And the French aim to shoot themselves in the foot again.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/macron-french-auto-rescue-champions-electric-cars-coronavirus-12772386
Sorry! I don't understand why giving subsidies to industry and their customers is 'shooting themselves in the foot'

Frannk

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #66 on: June 26, 2020, 04:44:37 pm
Investing in clean infrastructure to create jobs.
Lurker on a Vespa

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #67 on: June 26, 2020, 05:23:46 pm
Well if they got too much money to throw at an decaying industry they could equally well give an tax break to the taxpayers. However, I suppose they don't like that, that would mean competition and I would probably land up buying a propper V8 or V6 atleast instead of an easy pleasy know it all connected remotely controlled twingo bingo, supposedly a car vehicle which I have been waiting my whole life for. ::)

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #68 on: June 26, 2020, 05:44:32 pm
Yup! that's how I read it.
Electric cars, batteries etc.. a decaying industry?

Frank

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #69 on: June 26, 2020, 10:43:09 pm
My newspaper today said that California regulators have passed a rule requiring that certain percentages of all truck sales in the state must be fully electric, or otherwise zero emission, including pickup trucks, delivery trucks and tractor-trailer trucks. The rules, which take effect in 2024 will require at least 40% of all tractor-trailer trucks sold in California to be zero emission vehicles by 2035, 55% of pickup trucks and 75% of delivery trucks by that year. Good luck forcing people to buy those vehicles. You know what they say about horses and water.  ::)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 11:19:55 pm by Richard230 »

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #70 on: June 27, 2020, 12:38:42 am
Try to remember that its "Zero Local Emissions". There is no free lunch.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: June 27, 2020, 01:04:11 am
Try to remember that its "Zero Local Emissions". There is no free lunch.

That is true, but it is never mentioned by the regulators or in newspaper articles.  ::)

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #72 on: June 27, 2020, 10:25:45 am

Sounds good however looking at the capability of maintaining the existing infrastructure which is supposed to carry the clean one on the top... ;)

Hodrick

• Neophyte
Reply #73 on: May 12, 2021, 03:24:06 pm
Oh, I remember that I had a car with a lot of restrictions and tickets on it. But, I could give it for free to someone because it was too risky to use it. So, anyway, I found someone and made a very great deal with him. I used https://www.scrapi.com/scrap-car-calculator. This platform is showing you available offers for your car. I found a guy that offered me a very generous amount of money. I accepted it, and in a few hours, the money arrived in my bank account. The next day he came to take it. I remained delighted and also saved a lot of time.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #74 on: May 12, 2021, 03:36:09 pm
Day one I've entered "Sweden" in my back than 12 years old car, I've received 3 parking tickets by the city mafia. I didn't see any parking prohibited signs around, it was probably just a "recommendation" not to park there.  ;)  ;D ;D ;D

I'm bit slow in understanding.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 03:39:34 pm by derottone »

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #75 on: May 13, 2021, 04:52:32 pm
Well l thought the agreed date was 2030 for total ban on gas, diesel, and petrol, bur l won't really care l will be dead by then, but frankly l never thought l would see it, that's when driving will be a preserve for the rich only. Judging by the wind farms being built they must be banking on wind power to recharge batteries for the elite. But in saying that it will probably be 2045 before all other cars are phased out.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 04:59:53 pm by Karl Fenn »

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #76 on: May 13, 2021, 05:42:30 pm
There are two main issues:

1) In older/vintage vehicles E10 attacks all sorts of seals and hoses and is a disaster. However in vehicles like UCE bullets that are E10 certified there should be no issues with it attacking engine components.

2)  E10 will separate if it sits too long and you end up with 3 distinct layers of water gas and alcohol in your tank. This is not an issue for a daily drive that is used regularly but anything that is not driven/ridden regularly is going to need stabiliser added to the E10. ( BTW - in Australia it is not legal for marine or aircraft use for this reason)

TLDR: a new E10 certified vehicle ridden daily should have no issues, but do not put it in your snowmobile and store it over summer without stabiliser, and do not even think about using E10 in that vintage manx or goldstar you take to bike shows
I am not at all certain that vehicles which are certified to run on E10 are axiomatically certified to be stored with E10.
    I think that we need to see a return of external petcocks for EFI motorcycles and fuel pumps which are external from the tank. The petcocks should have two exit hoses and two shut-offs. One to the fuel pump and the other (with a flush dip-tube inside) that allows the settled layer of crap to be drained into a waste jug. You get the picture. ;)
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #77 on: May 13, 2021, 09:07:32 pm
Well it would not be rocket science l could knock one up in 30 minutes you could design a system similar to a car, you would only need one peckock filter external as well. There would be no need for two peacocks just a return under tank, and a removable plug for drain to remove crap, it would be a lot more cost effective to service..
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 09:13:45 pm by Karl Fenn »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #78 on: May 13, 2021, 10:22:00 pm
I am not at all certain that vehicles which are certified to run on E10 are axiomatically certified to be stored with E10.
    I think that we need to see a return of external petcocks for EFI motorcycles and fuel pumps which are external from the tank. The petcocks should have two exit hoses and two shut-offs. One to the fuel pump and the other (with a flush dip-tube inside) that allows the settled layer of crap to be drained into a waste jug. You get the picture. ;)

We will see that happen when we see fork oil drain plugs at the bottom of motorcycle forks again.  ::)  And Zerk grease fittings on swing arm bearings, too.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #79 on: May 13, 2021, 11:33:50 pm
We will see that happen when we see fork oil drain plugs at the bottom of motorcycle forks again.  ::)  And Zerk grease fittings on swing arm bearings, too.
+1
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #80 on: May 24, 2021, 10:21:38 am
Yea well someone came up with the bright idea you have to stip the forks to change the oil, it's called corporate progress and profit making the future of corporate none sensible design. Of course it's an interesting observation seeing how many roads into uk towns are now being closed to traffic, this has speeded up with the covid pandemic a permanent feature. But in saying that public transport is in chaos not fit for purpose.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 10:38:48 am by Karl Fenn »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #81 on: May 24, 2021, 12:10:37 pm

Just like on my 2008 AVL Classic?  :o

That just made me wonder just how old IS my little grease gun? I know it's more than 32 years old because that's how long I've owned this house and I KNOW I had it when I moved into this (to me) giant two car garage after years of NO garage. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven  :) :)

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: May 24, 2021, 02:43:28 pm
           Just like on my 2008 AVL Classic?  :o

That just made me wonder just how old IS my little grease gun? I know it's more than 32 years old because that's how long I've owned this house and I KNOW I had it when I moved into this (to me) giant two car garage after years of NO garage. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven  :) :)

You were still able to find it after having used it last on a vehicle that actually had greasing nipples? I know that I have a small grease gun with some unopened grease cartridges that I last used to grease the swing arm bearings of my 1982 R65LS. But I am not sure where I would look to find it if I ever needed it again - which I likely won't.  :(

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #83 on: May 24, 2021, 03:28:16 pm
Well l know l still have one from the 70s those things seem to last an eternity, l am certain it will outlive me. I curiously looked at the news today and established the government are going to force us to all have green gas boilers that cost £10,000 each if we fail to comply we will all be issued with massive fines, they are clearly so detached they fail to realise people don't have that sort of spare cash to spend on a heater. What has this country become?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 03:35:50 pm by Karl Fenn »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #84 on: May 24, 2021, 05:33:21 pm
You were still able to find it after having used it last on a vehicle that actually had greasing nipples? I know that I have a small grease gun with some unopened grease cartridges that I last used to grease the swing arm bearings of my 1982 R65LS. But I am not sure where I would look to find it if I ever needed it again - which I likely won't.  :(

I will be short because we're off-topic.         

Since taking care of my mom's '36 & '47 Chevies and her '69 (I think) V8 Tempest (deLoean's Baby GTO) and a Spitfire Orange Plymouth Volare' hardtop and also my '40 Ford in high school, I've owned and maintained &/or restored &/or refurbished around 65 cars and many of them had Zerk fittings.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #85 on: May 24, 2021, 06:38:56 pm
I will be short because we're off-topic.         

Since taking care of my mom's '36 & '47 Chevies and her '69 (I think) V8 Tempest (deLoean's Baby GTO) and a Spitfire Orange Plymouth Volare' hardtop and also my '40 Ford in high school, I've owned and maintained &/or restored &/or refurbished around 65 cars and many of them had Zerk fittings.

You nailed it. BTW If anyone thinks zerks are a thing of the past and misses them, become a truck or heavy equipment mechanic. I've worn out three electric grease guns in my day, and still have plenty of stuff in my garage that needs a shot of EP every so often.  ;) ;) ;)