Author Topic: US M/C brands continue to struggle  (Read 1520 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 02, 2020, 01:49:58 pm
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 11:54:40 pm
You know, it occurred to me after a recent thread of yours about automatic transmissions on bikes, how few younger folks in the States can even drive a stick in a car. Learning to shift a bike must pose a steep conceptual hurdle that oldsters like me, who learned to drive in an old VW Bug, were spared. Aside from the high cost of even entry-level Harleys, I'll bet the thought of shifting ANY motorcycle could be off-putting to many youngsters. I wonder how much of that dread is baked into the cake that is the decline of the American motorcycle industry...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 01:32:32 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 01:22:31 am
That is an interesting question regarding motorcycle ownership.  However, I have a feeling than anyone owning a stick-shift car is not too likely to have it stolen by a joy-riding teenager.  ;)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 02:06:19 am
That is an interesting question regarding motorcycle ownership.  However, I have a feeling than anyone owning a stick-shift car is not too likely to have it stolen by a joy-riding teenager.  ;)

Ummmm...I think "joy-riding teenagers" might have gone the way of flared pants and Gidget movies there, Ricardo. Case in point: my oldest kid had his Learner's Permit for 2 years, and only bothered to go in for the Big Driving Test 'cause the Permit was about to expire. My daughter's the same. The only reason she even got the Learner's Permit in the first place was to have a form of state ID for college, etc. Months later, she has yet to commence Practice Drive One with her Old Man, though I've offered many times. In contrast, I got my Learner's about a quarter nanosecond after it was legal to do so, and ditto taking the test for the full license, precisely two weeks later. Ask around with friends who have teen or twenty-something kids. Many coming up now are just not that interested in that whole vehicular or mobility thing. They're all too busy in the basement on The Quest for the Sacred Dental Floss of Blumpfrax, or whatever the hell it is they're up to down there. To his credit though, not long ago my kid managed to sell some imaginary electronic hat he'd somehow earned as a prize in some role playing online game for 250 REAL DOLLARS to some asshat who really wanted it. So I couldn't be prouder, remain optimistic as to his future prospects, and yes, he now drives very well indeed...just not a stick.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 02:25:51 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 10:16:58 am
Learning to shift a bike must pose a steep conceptual hurdle that oldsters like me, who learned to drive in an old VW Bug, were spared. Aside from the high cost of even entry-level Harleys, I'll bet the thought of shifting ANY motorcycle could be off-putting to many youngsters.

Actually, not JUST the youth, B.M., it seems to reach up into generation-x too. My wife has driven for years (manual shift) and cycled but is now learning to ride something with two wheels AND an engine. Gear shifting with her foot does seem to be giving her some conceptual grief at the moment, though no doubt she will master it. Then once she has passed her test there will be that little matter of learning to use a right-foot shift box on a Royal Enfield. Even though it was a left-foot shifting Electra-X originally...

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 01:02:30 pm
Actually, not JUST the youth, B.M., it seems to reach up into generation-x too. My wife has driven for years (manual shift) and cycled but is now learning to ride something with two wheels AND an engine. Gear shifting with her foot does seem to be giving her some conceptual grief at the moment, though no doubt she will master it. Then once she has passed her test there will be that little matter of learning to use a right-foot shift box on a Royal Enfield. Even though it was a left-foot shifting Electra-X originally...

A.

At least your gal has SOME  practical experience with a clutch...any clutch...to build upon. Over here in the States only about 2% of cars sold nowadays have a "manny tranny". They're getting rarer than rotary dial phones. A couple of years ago I thought I might rent a manual just to round out my kid's vehicular training palette. Good luck with that. Yonder in Britain or Europe if you rent a car as likely as not it'll have a manual, especially the economy options. But over here it's damned near impossible to get one, from the majors anyhow. You'd have to lay out big bucks for some "exotic", but then even Lamborghinis made nowadays lack a clutch pedal.

So, now I'm wondering if those clutchless electric bikes like the Zero or Harley's new LiveWire might not be the only real chance for the long-term survival of two-wheelers on the roads. Geezers like us with our quaint "gearboxes" and pistons and shit are gonna start looking "Ultra-Niche" out there on the blacktop, like Belgian Jazz aficionados that prefer 8-Track tapes.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 01:20:16 pm by Bilgemaster »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 02:07:52 pm
I need to get one of those cell phones with a rotary dial.  ;D I still can't seem to hit the "keys" very well of my cell phone. Perhaps I could do better if I just leave it in my back pocket and "butt-dial".   ::) But the truth is that I hardly know what to do with the cell phone anyway, other than plug it in to recharge it once a month.   :-\

Attached is a photo of my home phone on which I receive my daily allotment of robo-calls and "hangups".   >:(

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 04:43:34 pm
I need to get one of those cell phones with a rotary dial.  ;D I still can't seem to hit the "keys" very well of my cell phone. Perhaps I could do better if I just leave it in my back pocket and "butt-dial".   ::) But the truth is that I hardly know what to do with the cell phone anyway, other than plug it in to recharge it once a month.   :-\

Attached is a photo of my home phone on which I receive my daily allotment of robo-calls and "hangups".   >:(

I still have the Snoopyphone we had when my daughter was 17 or so (she's 59 now). We use it when the power goes off in the winter. I have no cell phone to figure out.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 04:48:39 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 01:02:02 pm
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 02:01:15 pm
Speaking of struggling motorcycle brands, how about another UK brand biting the dust:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ryb8qoIdWM