Author Topic: Where Did That Damn Thread Go?  (Read 2856 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: December 26, 2019, 03:00:18 pm
   I'm losin' it ("Help! I've fallen and I can't get up") and have to ask.

I can't remember and can't seem find (and I've lookt & lookt & lookt) the recent thread where the JAWA was brought up with some excellent pictures and a link to a giant, excellent website. I can't recall the Subject Line.

Anyway. Help me out here as it's making me nuts not being able to find it plus it's pretty F-ing uncomfortable here behind the toilet.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 06:16:25 pm
Is this the thread you were thinking of:  https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=27768.0  ?

I'd like to know more about the Jawa.

It seems that Jawa is still being made in Czechoslovakia, where a two stroke 350 twin is produced that meets Euro 4 standards, along with a 660, and a 350 OHC which I think is a single?. 
https://www.jawa.eu/motocykly

But the 350 single is also being produced in India in several varieties:
https://www.jawamotorcycles.com/
I don't get the point of the dual exhaust.  Is this only for style?

Are any of these machines being sold in the USA?

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 07:04:22 pm
I don't know about the USA, but they are available in the UK.
http://www.jawamotorcycles.co.uk/

Frank

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 08:11:50 pm
Having seen what's on offer in the UK, I think I'd prefer the Indian-built model 42.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 08:28:30 pm
Is this the thread you were thinking of:  https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=27768.0  ?

I'd like to know more about the Jawa.

Nope. No cigar  :)

That thread contained only one color picture of a JAWA. The thread I'm thinkin' of had a few more pictures of JAWAS plus a link to a huge, multi-faceted website called Wheelz something something?

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 01:25:42 am
Maybe you are thinking of a post on "Team BHP" ?

That Indian web site has a thread about the Jawa that had a few hundred posts in it and a lot of links to pictures of the motorcycle.
Included in the topic is the comments of a lot of people who have bought it.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 03:05:31 am
I don't know about the USA, but they are available in the UK.
http://www.jawamotorcycles.co.uk/

Frank

Those are the Czech produced machines, and not the Mahindra built machines.

I'm amazed that they can get an air cooled 2 stroke to meet Euro 4 emissions standards.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 12:20:01 pm
Maybe you are thinking of a post on "Team BHP" ?

That Indian web site has a thread about the Jawa that had a few hundred posts in it and a lot of links to pictures of the motorcycle.
Included in the topic is the comments of a lot of people who have bought it.

Nope. This is the only forum I've been on now for three or four years and I have never seen that website until just now because of your mention of it. I've dropped out of all other forums over these past years for a multitude of reasons.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 12:24:50 pm by tooseevee »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 02:00:34 pm
Those are the Czech produced machines, and not the Mahindra built machines.

I'm amazed that they can get an air cooled 2 stroke to meet Euro 4 emissions standards.

I bet they hired a couple of VW engineers to help them with their EU emissions paperwork.   ;D
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 03:01:17 pm
I bet they hired a couple of VW engineers to help them with their EU emissions paperwork.   ;D

Ya' know what's an even worse sewer of graft and corruption and payoffs and lies?

The Takata Airbag thing.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 03:42:21 pm
Tooseevee: This recent "Newer UCE"  thread has a couple of pictures and some discussion of Jawa, and in particular, this posting by 'Frogman8' contains a link to a webpage about Jawa, Yezdi, etc. in the http://technwheelz.com domain.

Is that what you recall?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 03:52:17 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 06:50:09 pm
Tooseevee: This recent "Newer UCE"  thread has a couple of pictures and some discussion of Jawa, and in particular, this posting by 'Frogman8' contains a link to a webpage about Jawa, Yezdi, etc. in the http://technwheelz.com domain.

Is that what you recall?

THAT's the one! Frogman's Reply #18 -  Dammit - I've been reading right past it for some reason.

At least I DID remember the website had "wheelz" something in it (if you look back).

NOW I can get to WHY I wanted to respond to him. But later...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 06:54:12 pm by tooseevee »

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 07:36:57 pm

Nope. No cigar  :)                 

So, I guess somebody has a cigar coming, after all?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 28, 2019, 12:07:36 am
So, I guess somebody has a cigar coming, after all?

Yes. You both should get a cigar. And I should get the Inattention Award for after seeing it the FIRST time, I then missed it twice at the bottom of your original posting of it.

Oh, well.

Why I started this is because I wanted to call attention to a YouTube video blogger who calls himself "Bald and Bankrupt".

He has a terrific "stage presence" and excellent way of presenting history and holding your attention. He sometimes runs with a partner whose handle is "Balder".

I've been a history addict since I was a kid in the '40s and have also been cursed with having to know the details and back stories and history of EVERYthing
I get involved with to the point of people's eyes glazing over.

I recommend Subscribing to this guy and watching ALL of his Russia and India travels and adventures. What happened in Russia after the collapse of the central government is incredibly interesting and shows us that what happened after the collapse of Soviet Russia (USSR) is very similar to what has happened here since the end of Dubya Dubya Two. The more centralized government we get, the worse it gets and godhelpus when the checks stop.

Anyway. Down to the point that Axeman triggered with his JAWA post and the website link.

In one of Bald's segments, he decides to ride to town with a drunk Russian on his JAWA after they've both been drinking vodka (what else?) at the Russian's house. I would NEVer have done it, but he does and they even make it back to where they started from.

During his two trips to India, he and Balder ride around a lot on Royal Enfields.

I've watched every one of them over the past few months and they are incredibly interesting and informative. I knew a lot about the subject before, but this guy has definitely added a LOT to my knowledge base. I really hope some of you get hooked on him.

Whew! :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 12:23:44 am by tooseevee »

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #14 on: December 28, 2019, 08:42:42 pm
On your recommendation, I checked out a few of Bald and Bankrupt's videos.

He is definitely bald.  I'd take issue with the bankrupt part.  I have a bit of difficulty with the fact that some people can manage to spend their lives traveling while others of us need to work.  Yes, I'm envious.

This fellow is charismatic, he is charming, he is funny, and he is fearless.

I do like the fact that he is bold enough to go where most tourists wouldn't.  Into exactly the sorts of abandoned, dilapidated cast-off remnants of human activities that I would be most interested in.