Author Topic: Flatheads last gasp?  (Read 3404 times)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
on: July 30, 2020, 01:06:54 pm
What were the management at Indian smoking to come up with this?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 01:31:16 pm
They might have feared to take the risk to invest in a new engine development more suitable for this kind of bike maybe, nevertheless it looks interesting.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 01:37:05 pm
From the same people that brought the world the Munch Mammoth :D

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 02:40:57 pm
I saw one of those at Alice's Restaurant about 20 years ago, although it didn't look all that nice. I believe it was a Floyd Clymer invention from the late 1960's. That was long after the Indian motorcycle company bit the dust. He had acquired the brand and was trying to come up with ways to resurrect Indian motorcycles by attaching the Indian brand to all sorts of random British and Italian motorcycles and importing them into the U.S. All of his marketing experiments were complete failures. I think that one either used some surplus Indian Scout engines or maybe they were H-D Sporster engines as used in their meter maid tricycles.  ???  This is all just from memory. I am sure that someone with more time on their hands (you know who you are  ;) )could look up more accurate information on Wikipedia.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 02:41:46 pm
Holy cow! Your right!!!
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 03:35:19 pm
The Mammuth sold probably even less than the Scout although it was supposedly a high tech machine with the casted back wheel.   :D

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 05:05:14 pm
Not even close to the last sidevalve engine motorcycle.  Let's not count mini-bikes with Briggs & Stratton or Tecumseh engines.

Harley made the "W" series and installed them on Servi-cars until the early 70s:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_Servi-Car

And the Chiang Jiang M1Ms were produced at least until the late 1990s:
https://www.bikeexif.com/chang-jiang-750

I like side valve engines.  Super easy to work on, and can burn the worst excuse for gasoline.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 07:32:56 pm
The Mammuth sold probably even less than the Scout although it was supposedly a high tech machine with the casted back wheel.   :D

For much of the '80s, and maybe longer, there was a rather choice Münch Mammut and also a Hercules Wankel Rotary Engine W-2000 both parked right on the street on Bleibtreustrasse not far from the Cafe Bleibtreu in West Berlin. Neither were covered or anything--just sitting out there in all weathers year round. Nowadays I suppose such exotica would likely only be found hermetically encased in plastic bubbles in one's climate controlled underground fortress lair, just down the
corridor from the REAL Mona Lisa, guarded by a specially-trained elite armed cadre of genetically enhanced gorilla-cyborg guards all wearing matching purple jumpsuits emblazoned with the emblem of one's secret organization. I guess Berlin in the '80s was just a little more "freewheeling".

If you're interested in the Münch, check out Jay Leno's piece on it at https://youtu.be/h_pPQiTX7PQ
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 07:45:33 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 10:28:00 pm
Not even close to the last sidevalve engine motorcycle.  Let's not count mini-bikes with Briggs & Stratton or Tecumseh engines.

Harley made the "W" series and installed them on Servi-cars until the early 70s:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_Servi-Car

And the Chiang Jiang M1Ms were produced at least until the late 1990s:
https://www.bikeexif.com/chang-jiang-750

I like side valve engines.  Super easy to work on, and can burn the worst excuse for gasoline.
But it certainly was Indians, wasn't it?

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 31, 2020, 01:39:08 am
But it certainly was Indians, wasn't it?

The Climer Munch Scout in the photo from the original post was a one off "test of concept" prototype that never went into production. It is apparently the only one ever made.

I saw one of those at Alice's Restaurant about 20 years ago, although it didn't look all that nice. I believe it was a Floyd Clymer invention from the late 1960's. That was long after the Indian motorcycle company bit the dust. He had acquired the brand and was trying to come up with ways to resurrect Indian motorcycles by attaching the Indian brand to all sorts of random British and Italian motorcycles and importing them into the U.S. All of his marketing experiments were complete failures. I think that one either used some surplus Indian Scout engines or maybe they were H-D Sporster engines as used in their meter maid tricycles.  ???  This is all just from memory. I am sure that someone with more time on their hands (you know who you are  ;) )could look up more accurate information on Wikipedia.

What is probably confusing people is the 1960's "Indian Super Scouts" assembled by Sam Pierce from a warehouse full of old Indian spare parts. Apparently he made around 50 or more of the things but every one was slightly different.  The photo below is a 1968 Sam Pierce Super Scout. You can see the similarity to the Climer Munch bike, hence the confusion.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 02:27:43 am by GlennF »

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #10 on: July 31, 2020, 08:50:43 am
Just what I thought! looks like a photoshop job on a Munch and an Indian.

Frank

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #11 on: July 31, 2020, 09:41:56 am
Holy cow! Your right!!!

Holy cow sits in the ivory tower and is a broke gone bitch. Wears spectacles and got tiny tits.  ;D

https://youtu.be/LesWfbkJJlQ
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 09:52:20 am by Joe_535i »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #12 on: July 31, 2020, 11:08:27 am
The Climer Munch Scout in the photo from the original post was a one off "test of concept" prototype that never went into production. It is apparently the only one ever made.

What is probably confusing people is the 1960's "Indian Super Scouts" assembled by Sam Pierce from a warehouse full of old Indian spare parts. Apparently he made around 50 or more of the things but every one was slightly different.  The photo below is a 1968 Sam Pierce Super Scout. You can see the similarity to the Climer Munch bike, hence the confusion.

Note the Royal Enfield-type Indian tank on that '68 super Scout! Looks like the slimmer version of what's on Grumbern's (RE) Indian Chief.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 31, 2020, 02:07:21 pm
Holy cow sits in the ivory tower and is a broke gone bitch. Wears spectacles and got tiny tits.  ;D

https://youtu.be/LesWfbkJJlQ

Blocked for viewing in my country.  :o  I guess the tits are too small for U.S. viewers.  ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #14 on: July 31, 2020, 02:10:23 pm
Maybe you may have to look for the instrumental version than, vocals are too expensive.  :D