Author Topic: Rokon?  (Read 2456 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
on: April 18, 2020, 09:50:25 pm
How many of you saw Jay Leno's recent review of the Rokon Ranger? I remember these from 50 years ago. In the back of Popular Mechanics magazine along side ads for X-Ray Specs and Sea Monkeys. I didn't even know they were still around! They started in California in 1958. In 1963 they moved to the East Coast, new owner and new name. It was supposed to be Rock On but everyone, including the current owner pronounces them "Roke On". If you are not familiar they are full time 2 wheel drive, 208cc with a 3 range automatic transmission. They can climb a 60% grade! The wheels are hollow barrels that can be filled with fuel or water or if left empty will allow the bike to float😳.

So after a few days of binge watching every video ever made about these silly bikes I ordered one this morning. Most of them are black or olive but I have always thought if you're stuck in the wilderness and want to be found a bright color is probably better. So on Monday morning they will begin construction of my bright orange Rokon Ranger.

This quarantine stuff is getting expensive!

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 10:24:33 pm
Congrats! I understand there have been improvements to the driveline and other details. I too have been lusting for one my self since 1966. I may be wrong but I think I remember farm implements being available for them.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 07:01:07 pm
Congrats! I understand there have been improvements to the driveline and other details. I too have been lusting for one my self since 1966. I may be wrong but I think I remember farm implements being available for them.

Thanks. All kinds of improvements! Mine even has front suspension!!! Yes there are farm implements available. This week the founder of Rokon died. He was 92. Everything I have found about him says he was a great guy.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 10:03:05 pm
Have you received yours yet? Don't be frugal with the pictures when its delivered.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 04:03:15 am
I rode one around our compound in Africa before it was donated out to some malaria research people to reach remote sites...seemed fun, certainly unique!  Slow and steady is the way to go, naturally.  (The only other choice being slow and unsteady...!)

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 03:12:02 am
Here it is outfitted for survival. Side bags, top case (milk crate with duffel bag) and front rack tool roll (4" PVC sewer pipe). I took it for a swim in Lake Mead. The only casualty was the starter. It took about a week of being full of water to die. Good thing it has the rope start! I dismantled and drained the starter. It is fine now.

I tried to upload the floating video but the file was too large.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 03:14:43 am
Before the luggage was installed.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 12:25:51 pm
O.K. Now Im jealous. It looks street legal, or am I dreaming? Best of luck with it!

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 09:43:31 pm
O.K. Now Im jealous. It looks street legal, or am I dreaming? Best of luck with it!
It's the Ranger. The one model that is street legal. The DMV finally opened but the lines are around the block. I'm "borrowing" the plate off my INT just to avoid any cop nonsense.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 09:58:36 pm
I have a thousand questions..but here's three. Do the pegs pivot? Is that a speedo pickup on the rear sprocket. And Whats that brown box with a wire on the front rack? End of bother, I promise.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 10:19:52 pm
I have a thousand questions..but here's three. Do the pegs pivot? Is that a speedo pickup on the rear sprocket. And Whats that brown box with a wire on the front rack? End of bother, I promise.
It's no bother. You have 997 questions left ;D The pegs not only fold like a normal bike but pivot up to go flush with the frame so you can climb large obstacles. It is a speedo sensor. It has a Koso speedo that is always within 1 mph according to my GPS. I had one on a Yamaha because the stock one was unreadable in daylight. The speedo has more functions than the bike has sensors for. Im not sure what "brown box" you mean. On top of the rack is just a leather tool bag. Under the rack is the miter box that is the drive unit for the front wheel. Rokon was the first bike made with dual disc brakes so they didn't know they were supposed to go on the wheels! The brake is on the miter. The sprocket is driven off the other side.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 10:28:23 pm
in your pic, brown box left side front rack.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 02:04:55 am
in your pic, brown box left side front rack.
Using the same words doesn't get me any closer. I don't see a brown box. Are you talking about the chain guard? There's nothing on the rack except the tool roll. Here's a better view of the left side with my new luggage mounted. The sewer pipe is my new tool roll.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 23, 2020, 02:16:52 am
OK. The OTHER picture. And call me crazy but to me the side of the bike that my right hand rests on is the right side. That's just a handheld compass. There is nothing on the bike that can be killed by a dead battery or even an EMP blast. I thought it would be handy to have a magnetic compass. Unless the magnetic poles flip it should always work. ;D

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 23, 2020, 12:31:47 pm
Whoops, my bad. I should have said left side of the photo. One question about its street ability. I realize that its "Street Life" is probably shuttling from one trail to the next, but what is its comfortable street speed?