Author Topic: Ace GT Head Project  (Read 247279 times)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #630 on: October 29, 2019, 12:49:34 am
DAMN! That's nice!!!!!!!  8)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #631 on: November 02, 2019, 12:36:12 pm
I should mention at this point that I do happen to have an un-used (think it might be new) Dell'Orto PHF34 pumper CARBURETOR and suitable 60mm stud-center alloy flange which don't seem to have a home on any of the current projects.  ??? ??? ??? The flange is for a smaller bore PHF32, but there's plenty of metal on there for boring out to 34mm.

If you or Otto think this could be a fun diversion for the project let me know.

A.

I don't think anything, i live in a place where people are returning slowly back to sign language. ::)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #632 on: November 02, 2019, 01:26:23 pm
Fair enough, but social commentary aside, the carb is available if you wish to give it a try.  :)

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #633 on: November 04, 2019, 11:06:17 pm
Fair enough, but social commentary aside, the carb is available if you wish to give it a try.  :)

A.

No carb at this time, besides of that fair amount of good reasons to turn to sign language in those high tech times, the sign language hasn't been perfected yet, but we are working on it.  ;)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #634 on: November 21, 2019, 05:33:22 am
Out of idle curiosity, where is Ace's online presence these days? Like for updates on the head project,  fireball stuff, UCE cams and things? I think I remember something about some cams in the works that will work with the stock head and are less lawnmower-like than the factory ones?
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #635 on: November 21, 2019, 08:15:15 pm
Out of idle curiosity, where is Ace's online presence these days? Like for updates on the head project,  fireball stuff, UCE cams and things? I think I remember something about some cams in the works that will work with the stock head and are less lawnmower-like than the factory ones?
Guaire is making a website, and from what I understand, it is partially running now but I don't know the url.
Maybe Guaire will see this and post it.

We have some pretty hot cams for the UCE, but we haven't road tested them yet, so we can't give a performance description yet.

We are in process of making replacement valves of high quality, with slightly larger inlet valve, to address the UCE valve breakage issue. Probably a month out.

We will also have a low cost (Clubman) head mod with those valves and better springs that will handle the new cam profile.

Thanks,
Tom
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #636 on: November 21, 2019, 08:52:39 pm
Cheers Tom.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #637 on: November 26, 2019, 10:06:19 pm

Hi Gizzo - Here's the cams ready to install with the Fireball. They are quite lumpy! Eventually, test rides will tell us how Tom's profile will be working out.
Bill G
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #638 on: November 26, 2019, 10:09:00 pm
Here's the Fireball ready for installation. Note the oil jets under the rockers. Only one of the two spark plug holes is pictured.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #639 on: November 27, 2019, 01:23:23 am
Nice. how about cams for engines without fireball, is that going to be a thing?
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #640 on: November 27, 2019, 04:42:45 am
Nice. how about cams for engines without fireball, is that going to be a thing?
The same cams should work on non-Fireball UCE too. But, it will need the better valve springs added. No decent cams will be able to run on those stock UCE valve springs anyway, so better springs are a given with any performance cams on the UCE.

Lobe lift of the new Ace cams is about .345", if I remember correctly, so the stock 1.2:1 UCE rockers should give about .414" lift at the valve with these cams.
Fireball will get about .510" lift at the valve with them.

We will soon have a high quality valve upgrade with slightly bigger inlet valve and normal size exhaust valve, and otherwise primarily a reliability measure. You know, the dreaded UCE valve head separations...
The new inlet valve can use the same seat, but re-cut to seal at the outer edge of the bigger valve, and a slightly larger throat cut to match. Just a little extra flow from that, but worthwhile at the stock end of the performance spectrum.

So, the idea is to put in the new valves, cams, and springs, for a Clubman type kit like we had for the iron barrel models. Bang for the buck kind of option, with reliability improvement to match.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 05:05:29 am by ace.cafe »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #641 on: November 27, 2019, 04:56:17 am
Here's the Fireball ready for installation. Note the oil jets under the rockers. Only one of the two spark plug holes is pictured.

Just a detail note about those brass jets shown on that head photo.
Although we provide pressurized oiling to the rockers via the pushrods like a V8 does, we also use the regular UCE oiling passages too, as auxiliary oil sprayers. We top them off with brass Holley carburetor jets that screw in on the tops of those oil passages. This allows the user to adjust the intensity of the oil spray into the rocker areas by using different jets, if he wants to. It has adjustment capability in that way.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 04:58:25 am by ace.cafe »

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #642 on: November 27, 2019, 06:04:01 am
The same cams should work on non-Fireball UCE too. But, it will need the better valve springs added. No decent cams will be able to run on those stock UCE valve springs anyway, so better springs are a given with any performance cams on the UCE.

Lobe lift of the new Ace cams is about .345", if I remember correctly, so the stock 1.2:1 UCE rockers should give about .414" lift at the valve with these cams.
Fireball will get about .510" lift at the valve with them.

We will soon have a high quality valve upgrade with slightly bigger inlet valve and normal size exhaust valve, and otherwise primarily a reliability measure. You know, the dreaded UCE valve head separations...
The new inlet valve can use the same seat, but re-cut to seal at the outer edge of the bigger valve, and a slightly larger throat cut to match. Just a little extra flow from that, but worthwhile at the stock end of the performance spectrum.

So, the idea is to put in the new valves, cams, and springs, for a Clubman type kit like we had for the iron barrel models. Bang for the buck kind of option, with reliability improvement to match.

Thanks Tom. That sounds like the kind of thing I'd be interested in: Not having to spend a ton of money but still getting a performance and reliability improvement. Lemme know when it happens. The valve thing, I've been thinking about that. I'd hate for it to happen to me but I'm close to 40,000km now, a lot of them not so gentle and I'm thinking that if they were going to drop they might have by now. Touch wood. But I'd still be interested in upgrading them as part of a package. 
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #643 on: November 29, 2019, 02:57:15 pm
On December 10 my GT will be going to Rush Branson's lift at Cycles of Silver Spring (MD). Rush has experience with setting up the previous generation of the Fireball on Mevocgt's GT. This set up will include cams and the 'squish mod'. This mod takes material of the top of the barrel to get a proper squish of the piston and the combustion. The stock setup leaves about a quarter inch of extra space, not good for power.
  If there are any unforeseen needs at installation, we get to sort it out, before another Fireball is sold and built.
  We have some OEM parts on order at CSS, to make stock compatible, Clubman kit parts. Reality is, RENA, doesn't move parts as quickly as the Big 4.
   As far as a comparison between the single and the INT Twin, power to weight and handling are elements we will be looking for. There's more to this than a horse power number.

Bill

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #644 on: December 02, 2019, 04:49:32 pm
On December 10 my GT will be going to Rush Branson's lift at Cycles of Silver Spring (MD).

That might be worth the short drive over to see...!