Author Topic: TEC Stinger Feedback  (Read 1439 times)

General_Apathy

• Scooter
on: October 27, 2021, 01:50:23 pm
I am contemplating getting the Stinger for my GT mostly for weight saving. I would very much like first hand opinions on the system for quality, fitting etc. I am totally aware that it’s relatively inexpensive and not expecting S&S levels of finish but this doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a poor choice.  Any info gratefully received. Thanks 👍

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 04:05:19 pm
I had the Stinger on my 650 for several thousand miles with no complaints at all.  I used the 6 hole "quiet baffle"

A few guys have had hassles installing it but skills and patience do vary.

I sold mine to a forum member who has been quite satisfied.

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 05:23:08 pm
I'm a very satisfied owner of the Stinger but it was a pain to get on the bike.  Just make sure you watch TEC's install video several times before you get started.  There are also a couple of other useful videos on the subject that are worth searching out on YouTube.  (Also search the forum if you haven't already.)  I had more difficulty than most but I'm glad I did it.  I don't doubt there are superior exhaust systems out there but what you get for your money is hard to beat.

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 05:24:16 pm
Had a bit of a struggle fitting mine, but I'm happy with it, and considering how much less I paid than the S&S I have no issues recommending it to someone who doesn't mind a little fiddling and wants to save a few hundred bucks.

Seatex

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 07:04:15 pm
I destroyed the graphite gasket, but TEC promptly sent another at no charge. Put a little grease on the graphite and your assembly will be a lot easier. Once assembled, I have no complaints. The weight savings is impressive, and it sounds great. I don't think the finish is all that bad, and I like the bronze-ish color it takes on. You already know it is affordable. I added a K&N air filter when I installed the TEC exhaust, and I feel like there is a little more mid-range pull. I fully acknowledge that this may just be psychological because it is louder.

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 08:01:31 pm
I also destroyed the graphite gasket on my first attempt.  K's Moto Shed suggests using the side of the header that goes into the engine to push the gasket in before you attach the exhaust.  I did this with the second gasket TEC sent me and it worked quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur27lrfyj94

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 08:32:02 pm
I destroyed the graphite gasket, but TEC promptly sent another at no charge. Put a little grease on the graphite and your assembly will be a lot easier. Once assembled, I have no complaints. The weight savings is impressive, and it sounds great. I don't think the finish is all that bad, and I like the bronze-ish color it takes on. You already know it is affordable. I added a K&N air filter when I installed the TEC exhaust, and I feel like there is a little more mid-range pull. I fully acknowledge that this may just be psychological because it is louder.

I agree with you on the mid range and the K&N filter. The throttle felt laggy in the middle of the band until I swapped filters, now it's nice and smooth throughout.

Suncoast

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 09:11:11 pm
I've got one on my GT courtesy of Jack Straw. I'm really happy with it, the only concern I have is after watching The Ocean Pilot on You tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhFYYtQRDKU It looks like his inner baffle somehow came loose and he had to have it welded back in while on tour. Price is right but long term quality may not be there depending on how many miles you ride.
2021 Royal Enfield Continental GT
2003 Honda VFR 800
Gone but not forgotten,2016 GSXS1000F, 2008 Suzuki B-King, 2014 Triumph Street Triple RX, 2011 GSXR750,2008 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100, 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan, 1983 Suzuki Katana 750,

General_Apathy

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 11:21:29 pm
Exactly the sort of views I was after. Thank you, very much appreciated 👍

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 28, 2021, 04:20:59 am
I am contemplating getting the Stinger for my GT mostly for weight saving. I would very much like first hand opinions on the system for quality, fitting etc. I am totally aware that it’s relatively inexpensive and not expecting S&S levels of finish but this doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a poor choice.  Any info gratefully received. Thanks 👍
For weight savings your on a winner:-13kg! Some of us like the look, which helps. I installed mine last year. Cleaned up the welds and male and female connections with wet and dry, then smeared with copper slip, beforehand. Had no issues that a rubber mallet couldn't sort out.
Excellent value for money.
Note that TEC specifies the baffle must be used or void warranty and longevity of muffler, but it does offer a work around; they also recommended using a piggyback ECU (Powertronic preferably) if using sans baffle to fix lean fueling.
As well as the vids already mentioned, this one was also helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Td8w9hcHu0&t=243s

Charleetho

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: October 30, 2021, 03:31:13 am
I installed mine a few weeks back. Was a pretty easy installation. Sounds great. Seat of the pants dyno says it makes more mid range power. It's seems to have made the engine freer revving. The stock exhaust is HEAVY!
The center stand lever on the left looks weird sticking so far out from the side of the bike. If someone comes up with a solution I'd like to know.

Suncoast

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: October 30, 2021, 06:28:19 pm
I installed mine a few weeks back. Was a pretty easy installation. Sounds great. Seat of the pants dyno says it makes more mid range power. It's seems to have made the engine freer revving. The stock exhaust is HEAVY!
The center stand lever on the left looks weird sticking so far out from the side of the bike. If someone comes up with a solution I'd like to know.

You could always remove the center stand and just use a paddock stand like on the GT
2021 Royal Enfield Continental GT
2003 Honda VFR 800
Gone but not forgotten,2016 GSXS1000F, 2008 Suzuki B-King, 2014 Triumph Street Triple RX, 2011 GSXR750,2008 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100, 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan, 1983 Suzuki Katana 750,

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #12 on: October 30, 2021, 06:55:15 pm
I keep hoping that someone with time and a welder will replace the foot-lever of the center stand with a folding kick start lever. It would fold in out of the way and be a mindfuck in the parking lot. ;)
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Mort

• Only Mostly Dead
  • Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Interceptor 650
Reply #13 on: October 30, 2021, 11:03:44 pm
You could always remove the center stand and just use a paddock stand like on the GT
That's what I did. Looks much better now, and saved some weight.