Author Topic: Himalayan 650 news  (Read 2982 times)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #15 on: October 27, 2021, 03:04:29 pm

Out of machines that I'm aware of, currently for sale, I'd be nominating the Suzuki Boulevard S40 as laziest engine:

Suzuki S40    652 cc     31.0 hp      21.0 cc / hp

On the benefits side, the S40 can meet current US emissions standards with a carburetor, and is 20 lbs lighter than the Himalayan.   If it wasn't setup with that cartoonish 35 degrees of rake, it would be even more attractive.
https://suzukicycles.com/cruiser/2019/boulevard-s40
LOL I used to have one of those. An old '86 4 speed one. I loved that bike.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #16 on: October 31, 2021, 12:37:41 pm
Also, by 2024 the competition will have left the 650's low power output even farther behind in the weeds....

If it were all about power none of us would own Royal Enfields. My V Strom has 68 HP and my Moto Guzzi 52 and in real world riding, not revving the piss out of the engine, the Moto Guzzi is much better. I have ridden both RE 650s and they are plenty fast for real world use and most people. I expect the coming 650 ADV bike to be the perform equally.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Spicyred

• Ice Queenslander (Australia)
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: November 01, 2021, 09:13:14 pm
I don't know about that, the Kawasaki actually comes out slightly ahead of the RE Himalayan, by my calculation, at least using the numbers that I'm finding on the spec. sheets.

RE Himlayan  411 cc    24.5 hp      16.8 cc / hp
Kawa W800   773 cc     48.0 hp      16.1 cc / hp

My comment is comparing the power of the W800 to the 650, as that is what Keef was referring to.

Thanks for the Himi comparison though. I’m surprised the figures are so close ;)
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: November 02, 2021, 08:32:50 am
My comment is comparing the power of the W800 to the 650, as that is what Keef was referring to.
I wasn't referring to any machine in particular - more the fact that when I was first getting into bikes in the late 1970's and 1980's most bikes were generally producing a figure of around 100 BHP per litre - more for smaller engines. Even the back around 1976 the Yamaha XS650 twin was producing I think around 58 BHP - less than 100BHP/litre I admit and it was considered a low power bike back then, but still noticeably more than the current and more modern fuel injected Royal Enfield 650 motors - so I would feel  rather short changed. It's easily possible for a modern road motorcycle engine of around 600cc to produce over 100 BHP, although I not suggesting Royal Enfield attempt this. At least 70 BHP is easily achievable from a modern 650 twin motor while still being reliable. Just saying.
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #19 on: November 05, 2021, 11:58:38 pm
Royal Enfield Himalayan 650 Launching In India Or Not? – Here’s What We Know So Far ; MAXABOUT TEAM  Oct 19, 2021

https://news.maxabout.com/bikes/royal-enfield/royal-enfield-himalayan-650-launching-in-india-or-not-heres-what-we-know-so-far/
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: November 06, 2021, 05:41:33 am
What's with that rear rack? Continuing the tradition of lousy racks?
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: November 06, 2021, 12:18:14 pm
Royal Enfield Himalayan 650 Launching In India Or Not? – Here’s What We Know So Far ; MAXABOUT TEAM  Oct 19, 2021

https://news.maxabout.com/bikes/royal-enfield/royal-enfield-himalayan-650-launching-in-india-or-not-heres-what-we-know-so-far/
They'd have to lose the possum scraper from the rear and fit a 2 into 1 exhaust before I'd take it seriously. I'd never buy any motorcycle with a possum scraper on the rear wheel - those things are just a stupid fashion item and in particular have NO place and anything that will ever travel off tarmac or concrete.
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: November 06, 2021, 01:22:01 pm
They'd have to lose the possum scraper from the rear and fit a 2 into 1 exhaust before I'd take it seriously. I'd never buy any motorcycle with a possum scraper on the rear wheel - those things are just a stupid fashion item and in particular have NO place and anything that will ever travel off tarmac or concrete.

My thoughts, exactly. I had one of those things on my 1997 BMW Funduro and hated it. At least I was able to remove it easily as it didn't support the license plate and its little light as most do nowadays. I think BMW pioneered those devices on their GS models and then people started to believe they were needed to balance the front beak on BMW GS bikes if you wanted to look like an adventure rider. I really wish BMW would get out of the motorcycle styling business and leave it to the Italians.  ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: November 07, 2021, 12:35:21 pm
My thoughts, exactly. I had one of those things on my 1997 BMW Funduro and hated it. At least I was able to remove it easily as it didn't support the license plate and its little light as most do nowadays. I think BMW pioneered those devices on their GS models and then people started to believe they were needed to balance the front beak on BMW GS bikes if you wanted to look like an adventure rider. I really wish BMW would get out of the motorcycle styling business and leave it to the Italians.  ::)
Possum scrapers are possibly the most stupid and unnecessary styling/fashion item ever put on a motorcycle. I'm very glad RE have avoided this trend until now. There is no justifiable reason for them, and from an engineering point of view they are a bad idea for several reasons: They add totally unnecessary unsprung weight to the rear wheel/swinging arm - this is bad for roadholding as it increases the amount of work the suspension (and particularly the damper) have to do. It also usually places the rear light, number plate (and it's associated light) in harms way for no reason. These items on the possum scraper add even more unsprung weight and will have to endure a great deal of shaking and vibration. I'm sure they will work fine when they are new - but for how long? Same for their constantly flexing wiring. Also bear in mind that RE tend to use budget components for such items... And on a machine that purports to be suitable for off road use where anything mounted on the swinging arm (especially at the far end like possum scrapers are) will take far more off a hammering.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: November 07, 2021, 01:32:49 pm
Possum scrapers are possibly the most stupid and unnecessary styling/fashion item ever put on a motorcycle. I'm very glad RE have avoided this trend until now. There is no justifiable reason for them, and from an engineering point of view they are a bad idea for several reasons: They add totally unnecessary unsprung weight to the rear wheel/swinging arm - this is bad for roadholding as it increases the amount of work the suspension (and particularly the damper) have to do. It also usually places the rear light, number plate (and it's associated light) in harms way for no reason. These items on the possum scraper add even more unsprung weight and will have to endure a great deal of shaking and vibration. I'm sure they will work fine when they are new - but for how long? Same for their constantly flexing wiring. Also bear in mind that RE tend to use budget components for such items... And on a machine that purports to be suitable for off road use where anything mounted on the swinging arm (especially at the far end like possum scrapers are) will take far more off a hammering.

And don't forget that possum scrapers add one more hassle to removing and reinstalling the rear wheel.  >:(
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1