Author Topic: Campfire Pix  (Read 3409 times)

ideola

• Grand Gearhead
  • it all starts with an idea
on: October 08, 2021, 03:43:58 pm
From my trip to Michigan's upper peninsula last week

2021 CGT650 "Project MLG" | 2021 INT650 "Rocketeer" | 2019 Janus Gryffin #030

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 03:46:06 pm
Well, you certainly were well equipped during your camping trip.   ;D
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

ideola

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 03:56:39 pm
Indeed!  8)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 04:32:18 pm
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

ideola

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 04:44:17 pm
Nice! How do you like that leading link on the trail? Any Yooper sightings?  :o ;D

I don't have enough riding experience to really judge the suspension. What I can say is the little Janus scrambler feels super light compared to the INT and CGT, and so I'm gaining a lot more confidence riding it on less-than-ideal surfaces. I had zero issues on hardpack and gravel, but there were several stretches of the road getting back into the state forest campground that were deep sand. It took me a few near-falls to figure out how to better modulate power with the clutch to avoid the rear end kicking out when the front "dove" into the soft spots.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/09/16/yooper-merriam-webster-dictionarys-word-day/2344386001/

https://dayoopers.com/
Although I was born a Hoosier and now live in Illinois, I consider myself a Michigander, though the Yoopers would call me a Troll for living "under the bridge"  ;D We more *heard* the yoopers than saw 'em...or rather, their large phalanx of baying hounds on the opening weekend of the bear hunt  :o

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 07:02:57 pm
Yikes! That's some "I simply won't be inconvenienced by any apocalypse" level outfitting there. But what's the finely detailed touch in those photos that impresses me most, you ask? It's the little brass Indian cannon doodad on the front mudguard. Sure, I can vaguely comprehend that several other improvements to the stock breed are also clearly seen there, but it's the little cannon that's the cherry on the top for me.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

ideola

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 07:25:38 pm
"I simply won't be inconvenienced by any apocalypse" level outfitting
8) 8) 8)
Nailed it! FJ build thread => https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/threads/ideolas-ttue.729990/
Note to self...need to go update that with several other mods since added!

...little brass Indian cannon doodad on the front mudguard...
Project MLG's fender ornament before the color change:

The Rocketeer's

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 09, 2021, 05:13:59 am
To Ideola @ #4: Dry sand is a horsepower game, but getting your ass waaay back on the seat, keeping the front end light and letting it wiggle a bit, and all of this happening whilst under throttle helps a lot. Sand doesn't really like low speed or "finessing your way thru a section", it's more a "snow-skiing" thing, standing up, weight back, steering with the throttle. Don't stop in the deep sections unless you weigh 120 pounds or have 30 HP on tap! Now, WET/damp sand is incredible fun, unbelievable traction with knobbies and HP isn't such a big deal. I rode with lots of DKWs in the 'wayback and their leading links were things of beauty & wonder. They withstand abuse better than forks and have some built-in "brake rise" effect that's really nice. For a trail bike you made a good choice.

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 09, 2021, 01:55:56 pm
  Beautiful location! When we visit Traverse City, I bring back a bottle of the Traverse City whiskey. They do a good job.
Do you know any CNC shops around Motor City?
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 10, 2021, 08:27:09 pm
Great pics ideola. Looks a great camp.

Forgive me if I've missed any posts you've made about your Janus. Not like I'm buying one (would love to) but I'd like to hear about it if nobody else minds :)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #10 on: October 10, 2021, 10:22:41 pm
More campfire pic: just got home yesterday from a 2200km trip to the outback on my 30yo DR250 with a few mates on drz400's and a Himalayan. Pretty dry up there. Like my horticulturist friend said, after 10 years of drought, even the dead things are dying.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 10:35:12 pm by gizzo »
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2021, 01:04:52 am
More campfire pic: just got home yesterday from a 2200km trip to the outback on my 30yo DR250 with a few mates on drz400's and a Himalayan. Pretty dry up there. Like my horticulturist friend said, after 10 years of drought, even the dead things are dying.

Super cool - that's a massive ride. Any mechanicals? Those trees look like they've been fire ravaged, but it's prob just drought eh.. What's the temp at night?

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 11, 2021, 01:25:18 am
Great pics - looks like the desert around Phoenix or Tucson! Do you need me to send some Ocatilla, Beavertail, Barrel & Cholla cactus seed?  Looks like the right habitat, keeps the novice riders on their toes, and promotes tube & Slime sales! Just remember to carry pliers and a large comb to remove them from your body... :o 8)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #13 on: October 11, 2021, 04:38:13 am
Super cool - that's a massive ride. Any mechanicals? Those trees look like they've been fire ravaged, but it's prob just drought eh.. What's the temp at night?
Only problems were an oil leak on my DR that kept getting worse. Tried to seal it several times but no joy. Ended up just letting it spew oil and top it up. It was a head bolt washer that seals an oil gallery had a hairline crack that got worse. The washer came out in 3 pieces when I pulled it apart at home. Couldn't see it other times we took it out. That's life.also the Himalayan stalled a lot when cold. Biggest problem was our cargo trailer chassis collapsing (rust) had to wire it together to get home. The trees look burnt but have died from the lack of water. It's so dry up there. A fire would be better than drought, as you probably know a lot of Australian plants need fire to propogate. No fire, no seed germination.
Not too cold at night, probably not less than 10 deg. Pretty nice.

Great pics - looks like the desert around Phoenix or Tucson! Do you need me to send some Ocatilla, Beavertail, Barrel & Cholla cactus seed? 

Haha. Thanks but no. Introducing  invasive species never works out well in Australia. I saw a few patches of prickly pear in one place, hopefully they'll be out to eradicate it.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 11, 2021, 05:44:33 am
Australian invasive species issues...here's a little now-extinct playpal the Aboriginals had to deal with about 40,000 years back, when they were the latest invasive species.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalania
Extinction
Recent paleontological analysis using accelerator mass spectrometry 14 C dating of known fossils shows Megalania to have been alive around the Pleistocene Epoch 50,000 years ago. An affiliate hypothesis to this dating is that anthropogenic extirpation was the cause of the downfall of Megalania and other Australian megafauna in the similar vein as to how a large factor of the extinction of the Northern Hemisphere's megafauna at the end of the Pleistocene Epoch was caused by early humans.[2] In addition, a study, which examined the morphology of nine closely related extant varanid lizards and then allometrically scaled and compared them to V. priscus, found that the musculature of the limbs, posture, muscular mass, and possible muscular composition of the animal would most likely have been inefficient when attempting to outrun the early human settlers who colonised Australia during that time. This, in coordination with other megafauna that lived at that time such as Quinkana and Thylacoleo carnifex, and possible climate change, could have led to the species' extinction.[21][14][3]
Confrontations between megalania and early Aboriginal Australians may have inspired tales of fearsome creatures such as the Whowie.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whowie

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #15 on: October 11, 2021, 06:19:53 am
So you see what I mean, then...
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: October 11, 2021, 01:33:01 pm
I love camping and I am enjoying these pictures. I've been hooked on adventure riding/ travel for about 10 years now. As a rule I try to do several extended trips a year through the US Rocky mountain states and sometimes on up into the Canadian Rockies. I have also traveled and camped in all the  states west of the Rockies  to the pacific coast.  I look for remote areas to set up the tent at night and enjoy a backpacking meal around the fire, hang up my bear bag in a tree as far from the tent as I can and turn in for the night. All of this off the back of my motorcycle. I did it for years with my DR650 but the past 5 or so  have been on the GS which is a great platform for that kind of travel. I do no interstate roads and keep to two lane blacktop and dirt roads as much as I can when I am connecting up destinations. I love the gypsy lifestyle and have had some good times.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 01:48:37 pm by Karl Childers »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: October 11, 2021, 06:18:05 pm
Looks great - all those snowy peaks must make a down sleeping bag & heated grips mandatory!

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: October 11, 2021, 06:53:45 pm
I have both, mornings can start out chilly, I always make sure I have enough wood left from the night before for a breakfast fire. Coffee at sunrise in the high country is pretty special! The other thing I bring along is a good air mattress, I'm getting soft in my old age and can't sleep directly on the ground anymore. ;D

ideola

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: October 11, 2021, 08:30:07 pm
Great pics ideola. Looks a great camp.

Forgive me if I've missed any posts you've made about your Janus. Not like I'm buying one (would love to) but I'd like to hear about it if nobody else minds :)

I'm very pleased with the Janus. It was my first motorcycle, and a great bike to learn on. It is near-perfect for why I bought it...learning to ride, buzzing up to town from our farm, toting around on the FJ, powered canoe shuttle, etc.

It is *very* light, which has its pros and cons. I can manage it solo onto the carrier, and after spending a full season with the two RE 650s, I've grown a lot more confident riding it. It almost feels like getting on a bicycle compared to the Interceptor!

On the downside, its light weight makes it susceptible to wind gusts. I tried a windscreen, which helped some, but I found that removing the screen AND the detasselers AND replacing the OEM mirrors with bar end mirrors dramatically reduced buffeting. It's a different bike with those changes, but I still avoid taking it out on blustery days.

I only have two real complaints: range and top speed. It struggles to attain its advertised "top speed" of 70MPH, especially uphill into a wind. I mostly ride back country roads, but sometimes highway stretches are unavoidable, and the little Janus feels uneasy with impatient cars and SUVs and trucks harrying it from arrears.

As for range, it gets about 50 MPG, but the Gryffin in particular has its petcock in a more forward location than the Halcyon and Phoenix, so you have to switch to reserve at about 60 miles, which I find really annoying.

I feel like it underachieves a bit at only 16BHP and 100 mile range. If it had 25% more power and range, it would be perfect.

In any respect, though, it is a great little bike, and I have no regrets. Build quality is excellent and reliability has been top notch aside from one minor wiring issue, for which Devin Biek personally drove to my farm to fix. The company has treated me well with customizations and post sales support. And everywhere I go, it garners complements.

Some people complain about the purchase price, you will find many forum posts about 250cc bikes that are "better bang for the buck", but I don't agree with those opinions. I feel that people making those comments overlook that Janus motorcycles are essentially bespoke, hand-crafted, totally personalized bikes. Sure, I could have purchased a $5K plastic clad Asian dirt bike, but for me those bikes don't have the character or aesthetic appeal of the Janus. I come from the school of thought that a vehicle is an extension of one's identity, not merely a utility tool. So in that regard, the Gryffin checks all the boxes for me.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #20 on: October 11, 2021, 11:28:46 pm

I only have two real complaints: range and top speed. It struggles to attain its advertised "top speed" of 70MPH, especially uphill into a wind. I mostly ride back country roads, but sometimes highway stretches are unavoidable, and the little Janus feels uneasy with impatient cars and SUVs and trucks harrying it from arrears.

Same goes for my little DR. We had a couple days of strong wind that had my bike screaming along in 5th and even 4th at times. No wind, it'll sit on 100kph but any kind of headwind or gradient knocks it back. Sometimes you just have to be patient. Or tuck in behind a Himalayan  ;).
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

ideola

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: October 20, 2021, 03:05:17 pm
Got another trip in to the UP last week, unfortunately without any two-wheelers, but made up for it by bringing along a fren.

Yondota Falls along the Presque Isle River

Hiking the Gogebic uplands

Lake Gogebic, largest inland lake in the Upper Peninsula
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 03:14:00 pm by ideola »

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #22 on: October 20, 2021, 09:50:51 pm
Wow, you and your water just laying about in the open! Looks beautiful.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E