Author Topic: Euro 5 or 4 Model ?  (Read 6059 times)

robinb

• Scooter
on: September 20, 2021, 09:26:17 am
Looking to purchase Himy.

Trying to decide if to get Euro 5 or 4.

Friend has Euro 4 and has heard that the 5 is a little problematic as it runs so lean

Any thoughts please ?
CB175, CB400/4, GL1000, GL1100, GL1100mk2, GL1200 aspencade, Burgman 200, R1150 RT, Burgman 650, GL1500

Spicyred

• Ice Queenslander (Australia)
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 12:50:50 am
Which country are you in Robinb?
Different markets seem to have different specifications for the Euro 4 i.e.
British reports list these among the differences between E4 and E5:
- switchable ABS at the rear added to E5
- a hazard warning switch added to E5

Those desirable-to-me features are present on my E4 bike bought four months ago today, in Australia.

The desirable features, in my eyes, that the E5 has are:
- Tripper’ turn-by-turn navigation system
- larger screen to encompass the tripper
- an additional plate on the rear carrier, which is lower, so easier to swing your leg over
- 3 years warranty and roadside assistance as standard ( only 2 years on my E4)
- shorter side stand

The undesirable features:
- weight seems to go up from 188 to 199kg but I have seen quite a range of weights quoted
   for each version so nothing definitive available - note that the RE Australia site quotes the      same weight of 191kg for each
- the fuel tank side racks are smaller, good if you’re a tall rider for knee clearance, less   useful if you wanted carry bigger side bags or jerry cans.

As for the mechanicals and electronics and ability to modify, my understanding is that it can’t be done at this stage, after watching the YouTube channels like those by Hitchcock, TEC and Nathan the Postman.
Nathan commented that the standard fuelling did seem to be smoother with E5 though.

FWIW, with an anticipated price rise thrown in to the mix of pros and cons, I went for the E4 which was right in front of me and collectable within two days.
The E5 went up A$500, which is not too bad given the desirable improvements.
However, harder bargaining was/should be possible for a superseded E4.

HTHs

Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

robinb

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 05:11:57 pm
I am in spain.

Friend who purchased the E4 is in UK.
Though he only bought it couple of months ago.
He did some sort of mod to fuel system and said that it was not available for the E5 version.
This made the power delivery a lot smoother.

I like a lot of features of the E5 over the E4 version but dont want to make mistake and end up with newer version if its problematic.
CB175, CB400/4, GL1000, GL1100, GL1100mk2, GL1200 aspencade, Burgman 200, R1150 RT, Burgman 650, GL1500

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 04:26:55 am
I don't see the Tripper as 'desirable' - there are much better navigation solutions out there.
I don't see the bigger screen as 'desirable' because these bikes already have buffeting problems and many people have gone to smaller screens. On the other hand, you may find that you don't suffer buffeting - take it for a test ride and make sure you get over 80 km/hr (you're looking for noise, my cut back screen just gives me smooth air past my helmet)
The new ones are supposed to have a better seat... but that's nothing that can't be fixed by throwing a sheepskin over it.

The lower rear rack (if it is) isn't going to make it easier to get on, mainly because you're throwing your leg in a different place. Besides, those who have trouble getting on simply stand on the footpeg and mount from there. Also, by making it lower (if they have), it drops it below the height of the top of panniers which will restrict strapping luggage on. Personally, I'm not impressed by the plate, I'd rather they'd put a stronger rack on it and done it properly.

I also don't like those cut back front racks. As a six footer, I'm one of those who's supposed to be having trouble with the full sized racks but truth be known, they aren't a problem.

The newer bike is going to run leaner and the older bike is already very lean. I really don't know how that's going to affect riding.

The common way to fine tune the efi bikes has been the Powertronic, but there isn't and won't be one for the new bike. You can thank EU regs for that. People are looking at ways around that but your bike will be illegal.

Basically, just look carefully at the two models and buy the one you like. You may like the Tripper and the smaller front racks and might be planning to leave the bike stock and just run it as it is. Compare the two and buy the one you like, which is the only way you should buy any bike.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Guldner

• Scooter
  • If fossil fuels ain’t used, I ain’t interested.
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 09:42:21 pm
Definitely go Euro 4

E5 are untunable they have a locked ECU

E5’s are at least 2bhp lower due to emission regs and a physically heavier bike

Do a YouTube search tuning the Himalayan be TEC
15 mls E of were Steel was invented & 10mls S of Mallard being Built 😎

robinb

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 12:23:38 pm

E5 are untunable they have a locked ECU

Do a YouTube search tuning the Himalayan be TEC

Thanks will look up YT videos.
What is advantage of tuning the ECU ?

Guldner

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 10:03:13 pm
On Hitchcocks Site….Under Himaarlian…Hope this helps

Spicyred

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 11:08:56 pm
On Hitchcocks Site….Under Himaarlian…Hope this helps

Good post.
I received their email too. It’s a very helpful service by Hitchcocks and they mention that they are working on ways to address the E5 management issues.
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

Guldner

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: December 12, 2021, 08:54:16 am
Mornin

And another twist….A friend of mine in the States, his brother is seriously looking at a Himaarlian.

So, I was contacted re decision making, I mentioned the differences between E4 & E5, to be informed that USA Himaarlian have a totally different tuning set up.

I know there are physical differences Head & Tail lights indicator shape are the ones I know.

What tuning differences is there? Here’s me thinking due to import taxes (Bless Donald) and tough emissions laws (California & imports) that a “One size fits all” approach would be the order of the day. Make them all as lean as hell which will fit the world 🤷

I don’t know how “we” can compare to see if there is a difference in tuning. From what I gather the Himalayan is gaining popularity in the US

Have fun

G😎

Spicyred

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: December 12, 2021, 10:48:14 am
There’s not much more you can do for him.
There are variations from market to market, from batch to batch, next generation features sneaking in at any time……….

He just has to get his hands on one or two for as long a test ride as possible.
They get a KLX 300 twin over there which might be worth a look.

You’re right about the popularity of the Himi’s Stateside, if the number of YouTube channels using them over there is a guide.
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

robinb

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: December 12, 2021, 11:44:53 am
I hear the indian market ones are "dirty" in comparison to the leaner ones in Europe

zefnerd

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: December 14, 2021, 03:55:20 am
Looking to purchase Himy.

Trying to decide if to get Euro 5 or 4.

Friend has Euro 4 and has heard that the 5 is a little problematic as it runs so lean

Any thoughts please ?
  There are some decent upgrades on the newer model, some which look to be in the advertising literature, some that isn't. As far as engine leanness goes, I would put that aside to begin with as a decision maker, most people find that once broken in it runs greats and warms up easier than when first received. If you find differently then the dealers are working to resolve issues, and there are some third party products that work with the Euro5 nicely like the FuelX.
 The best reason to go ahead with the Euro5? Warranty, 3 years instead of 2 years of warranty and road side assistance. Although you probably won't need it, that will cover you until 2025.
  It looks like, from new schematics published for the latest Euro 5 model, that a pesky drain issue while turned off issue might have been resolved. While people are working on how to easily implement a fix on the older model, not having to fuss with that is kinda a big improvement under the hood.

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: December 14, 2021, 06:13:05 am
I'm wondering if they haven't improved things with the new model. We're finally getting them here in Australia and I'm hearing none of the complaints I've heard from America and the UK where they've had them since the start of the year. It makes sense, some of the complaints were just stupid (not being able to set the tps voltage properly?)
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 23, 2021, 10:38:44 pm
I think in general as the bikes become more green they become impossible to tune, can no doubt be reversed engineered but l think this road would be expensive to say the least an older version might be a better choice.

bgray

• Neophyte
Reply #14 on: June 18, 2022, 04:52:07 am
I just got a 2022 red Himalayan built 24-NOV-21 for USA Market. It seem mine is a EURO 4 with all the EURO 5 upgrades but the pipe and secondary air...