Author Topic: Lake Blue Himalayan coming my way!  (Read 5963 times)

Himalayan Geff

• Older but no wiser
  • Scooter
  • Granite Black E5 Himalayan
Reply #15 on: June 23, 2021, 09:52:53 pm
I know nothing about the Ceats except there've been no complaints about them. Most people seem happy.

The CEAT tyres have a very similar tread pattern to the Pirelli MT60 and are good on hard surfaces but lack any kind of real grip in mud. This is pretty common for a road-biased dual purpose tyre. The problem is that most more off-road oriented rear tyres are not available in the right size for Himalayan.
Sod it, lets ride!

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: June 24, 2021, 08:14:11 am
The CEAT tyres have a very similar tread pattern to the Pirelli MT60 and are good on hard surfaces but lack any kind of real grip in mud. This is pretty common for a road-biased dual purpose tyre. The problem is that most more off-road oriented rear tyres are not available in the right size for Himalayan.

Are you trolling? You're beginning to sound like it.
Firstly, there's no shortage of choice of tyres for the Himalayan though availability for all tyres is dodgy.

Secondly, the MT60 is pretty good off road. Sure, it's no good in wet clay, but nothing short of a full nobbly is. I did buy more dirt oriented tyres when they wore out, but not because I ever felt unsafe on them
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Himalayan Geff

• Older but no wiser
  • Scooter
  • Granite Black E5 Himalayan
Reply #17 on: June 25, 2021, 06:48:35 am
No, Im not trolling. You said you dont know much about the CEAT. I have given you my genuine opinion based on actually trying to ride on the green lanes near me with them. As for availability of other brands. It is the rear 17 inch tyre that limits options, There may be lots of 50/50 tyres available (if they are actually available) in the 17 inch fitment but proper off road biased tyres tend to be only available in 18 inch. Just about the only serious tyre easily available as a matched set for Himalayan sizes here is the TKC80 and I have my doubts about that on the tracks that I am riding (Although it would definitely be a step up from the CEAT standard fitment). Loads of choice is available in the front 21 inch tyre but mostly not with a match on the rear. Also, dont assume everyone rides the same roads as you do. It is wet and slimy here off road and I didnt buy the himalayan as an asphalt road bike.
Sod it, lets ride!

Spicyred

• Ice Queenslander (Australia)
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: July 15, 2021, 01:46:14 am
Of all the bikes I've owned or ridden in my 50+ years of riding, racing and working in the motorcycle industry the Himalayan is my all time, most favorite bike. It was so good I traded my Triumph in on an Interceptor, which is my 2nd favorite. Best of luck with the bike, I hope you like it as much as I like mine.

I’ve put over 2000 kilometres on the Himi now and it is a totally different riding experience to the Conti GT. I enjoy riding both but have to admit, an involuntary smile comes to my face when I hop back on the GT ;)

The posture on the GT is that that I’ve experienced on all my bikes since progressing from the trail bikes of the Seventies. Slight forward leaning, my body weight shared between buttocks, upper thighs and a little on the wrists, shoulders and foot pegs.

The Himi is a bolt-upright position with weight shared by buttocks and tailbone. That was closer to the trail bikes I started on way back then - except the Himi’s brakes and seat are way better than those ‘70s bikes.

Long rides produce aches in different areas - lower back and tailbone on the Himi yet lower shoulder blades on the Conti.

Each bike meets it’s design brief perfectly for me :)
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

Spicyred

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: July 24, 2021, 02:14:00 am
Out and about in the Scenic Rim again:

Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

Spicyred

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: July 24, 2021, 02:16:41 am
And…….
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: July 24, 2021, 05:03:55 am
Nice.
Of course, I should be grumpy because we're locked down in Adelaide  ;D

Just a note of warning, that screen over the headlight has been known to rattle so if you find a rattle develops, check that first.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Spicyred

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: August 30, 2021, 02:29:33 am
As mentioned in the “Windnoise” thread,
I put the Eagle screens 400 mm high, standard width screen on.
The RE screen in the forward position had warn a little of the paint off the headlight bezel. I didn’t detect any rattling from there, due to the wind noise ironically.

Anyway, the new screen does a good job of keeping the bugs off my jacket.

Windnoise is still prevalent, though to be fair, we are in our windy season and it’s been gusting 25 to 75 kph all week. With winding routes I use there are few occasions where I have a genuine tail wind.

I was hoping for a better result, to be honest but the jury is still out ;)
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

Spicyred

• Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: November 02, 2021, 08:34:38 am
The jury is now IN regarding the 400 mm screen - it’s been replaced by the 100 mm short screen, in dark tint, purely to cover the instrument panel.

I won’t be able to test the new screen until at least the weekend but I’ll report my findings and post a photo.
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: November 03, 2021, 05:38:55 am
The jury is now IN regarding the 400 mm screen - it’s been replaced by the 100 mm short screen, in dark tint, purely to cover the instrument panel.

I won’t be able to test the new screen until at least the weekend but I’ll report my findings and post a photo.
You'll love it. I've been using mine since January. Check my videos to see it in action and to hear how clear my voice is now without all that turbulence.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Spicyred

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: November 13, 2021, 05:08:34 am
You are correct - I love it.

Today in Brisbane town we have a high wind warning.
Perfect for testing the new short screen.
What a difference! The shorty is a joy to use in high wind. Whilst I don’t commute, I did do a cross-town run for the test which includes speed zones of 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 and 100 kph. The winds encountered included head on, full side-on and tailing.
They were gusting enough that it was a challenge holding the bike upright while stopped at the red lights.
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #26 on: December 12, 2021, 12:42:54 am
Out and about in the Scenic Rim again:

Beautiful Himalayan!
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Spicyred

• Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: December 12, 2021, 02:10:22 am
Beautiful Himalayan!
9fingers

Thanks 9fingers.
We’ve had a lot of welcome rain here the last month or so, resulting in very little riding for moi.
I’ve clocked up 4000k on the Himi now but many of the gravel roads I use are still flood-bound or flood damaged.
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

Spicyred

• Grease Monkey
Reply #28 on: March 16, 2022, 01:03:09 am
Out and about Monday, navigating various road closures and road works, found the Himi atop Tamborine Mountain.
With a camping chair/stool, six-pack esky and camera bag easily accommodated in the panniers, a beaut lunch was had with this view:

Edit: gizzo, this is the spot from which your mates launch their hang gliders.
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

Spicyred

• Grease Monkey
Reply #29 on: May 21, 2023, 07:57:53 am
The photo above is looking westerly from atop Mt Tamborine.
Today’s photo, on the north eastern decent from Tamborine is a quaint English-style Inn. A delicious Lambs Fry was had but I’m definitely not posting a food photo!
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650