Author Topic: Recall and Non-BYBRE Calipers  (Read 10215 times)

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2020 INT650 "Orange Crush"
on: April 05, 2021, 05:52:11 pm
I just had the brake caliper recall done a few days ago... anyone who had this done notice that the new anodized calipers don't say "BYBRE" on them? Or is that just me and I got bent over the proverbial barrel?
“It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.”

- President George Washington

Rick Dangerous

• Bulleteer
  • I like to move it move it.
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 05:54:21 pm
When i got my bike from the dealer he said "this has had the brake recall done on it already"  I also noticed the calipers don't say BYBRE on them but didn't think much of it.
Past Bikes: Ducati, Kawasaki's, Triumph's  Current: 2020 Royal Enfield INT650 Baker Express

Effektor

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 05:56:05 pm
Nope, the replacements don't have a logo on them.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 06:14:46 pm
No logo on the replacements... correct.

Not my bike, but from a fellow owner... mine goes in this Wednesday.

Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 06:17:58 pm
Nope, the replacements don't have a logo on them.

do we know if they're still "BYBRE" calipers?
“It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.”

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 06:23:17 pm
They are another cheap lookalike Brembo copy.
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 06:29:02 pm
True but will they give the same issues as the old ones.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 06:45:46 pm
They seem to be anodized a little bit better.
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 06:50:25 pm
True but will they give the same issues as the old ones.

They still make me stop when I want them to. Which is good. We don't really use salt up here for the roads, so probably wouldn't have had too much a problem, unless I decided to drive on a beach somewhere. But figured it would be best to get the recall done so I can log it in case I sell it some day.

6504me

• Grand Gearhead
  • SW USA
Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 06:53:51 pm
Brembo created the ByeBre branding yo separate them from the first tier Brembo products in order to OEM brake parts at lower prices to companies lik RE.

From what I understand Brembo didn't like the black eye of the ByBre calipers sticking and the replacement calipers don't have a logo.

Perhaps that sounds the end of the ByeBre brand

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 02:58:45 pm
For what it's worth my 2018 Himalayan has unmarked calipers on it, they appear to be identical to the replacement Interceptor calipers, at least in outward appearance.

Rick Dangerous

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 03:28:53 pm
Who cares if they have the logo to be honest?  Is anyone going to be like, "wow, are those ByBre's?"  No....no one cares. lol.
Past Bikes: Ducati, Kawasaki's, Triumph's  Current: 2020 Royal Enfield INT650 Baker Express

Jared_Lee

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 03:54:41 pm
I agree with you, Rick. I don't think anyone is impressed by the ByBre calipers on another person's bike. I do think that branding added value for buyers though. To lose that through a recall understandably creates a feeling of disappointment when a buyer placed value on that branding at purchase. What I really care about though is that my new calipers are reliable under all reasonable conditions up to modern standards. Hopefully these unbranded calipers achieve that.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 04:00:35 pm
The only branding I would look for is BREMBO. Not BRYMO, BRYMBO, BRDEX, BYRDWO, BYBRE, BYEBYE... Or some other chinese crap.

Its like a truck with a FROD branding.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 04:04:50 pm by viczena »
www.enfieldtech.de

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: April 06, 2021, 04:56:15 pm
Who cares if they have the logo to be honest?  Is anyone going to be like, "wow, are those ByBre's?"  No....no one cares. lol.

Wasn't a question of showing off some brand label (or, off-brand-yet-somehow-still-branded label, in this case). It's a matter of changing something and not letting us know. RE made a big deal about the "BREMBO BRAKES!" so it is what it is. But, when you go into a dealer to get a part swapped out and the part is different somehow, I question what I'm getting.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 05:14:13 pm
The only branding I would look for is BREMBO. Not BRYMO, BRYMBO, BRDEX, BYRDWO, BYBRE, BYEBYE... Or some other chinese crap.

Its like a truck with a FROD branding.

What does FROD stand for?

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 05:15:58 pm
Henry Frod, that famous car maker. Remember the Model T Frod.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Jared_Lee

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: April 06, 2021, 05:17:04 pm
Wasn't a question of showing off some brand label (or, off-brand-yet-somehow-still-branded label, in this case). It's a matter of changing something and not letting us know. RE made a big deal about the "BREMBO BRAKES!" so it is what it is. But, when you go into a dealer to get a part swapped out and the part is different somehow, I question what I'm getting.

Correct, RE sold that branding on the brakes as value for money. To remove that, while possibly changing nothing of the quality (really upgrading the quality), nonetheless changes perception of value by removing a brand logo RE aggressively sold for its value. Again, if it works, I'm happy. But I am also sympathetic to those who are a bit miffed.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #18 on: April 06, 2021, 05:20:10 pm
Maybe it is as simple as being able to know which ones have been replaced.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: April 06, 2021, 05:39:38 pm
Henry Frod, that famous car maker. Remember the Model T Frod.

I get it, it's like jhevy, but different. :o

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #20 on: April 06, 2021, 05:48:45 pm
I will have Brembo calipers on mine...

;D ;D ;D :D  ;)
Ride safe!
Wachuko

Rick Dangerous

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: April 06, 2021, 05:55:22 pm
I'm sure they are still made by ByBre, they just don't have the logo on there.

Clearly they were in a hurry to correct this issue before more people got injured or killed and probably left the logo off to expedite the manufacturing process is my guess.

6504me

• Grand Gearhead
  • SW USA
Reply #22 on: April 06, 2021, 06:11:00 pm

Clearly they were in a hurry to correct this issue before more people got injured or killed and probably left the logo off to expedite the manufacturing process is my guess.

The ByBre logo is in the casting mold of the caliper so it's omission is intentional.

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: April 06, 2021, 06:19:23 pm
I was a bit disappointed that they didn't also put in new brake pads, not that I expected it. I'm also not convinced that they bled the brakes, but no big deal as I did it last winter (Oh, wait, it's still winter here - 5" of new snow today!)

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: April 06, 2021, 06:25:07 pm
I was a bit disappointed that they didn't also put in new brake pads, not that I expected it. I'm also not convinced that they bled the brakes, but no big deal as I did it last winter (Oh, wait, it's still winter here - 5" of new snow today!)

I was disappointed as well. The tech said I have plenty  of pad left, so no need to replace them... eh, oh well. I really like my dealer, they treat me very well, so maybe I was hoping they'd upgrade my pads. Nope.

I've never had issues with my brakes, and even after the R&R they act no different than the old ones. So, I'm sure they did all they said they did, which includes bleeding them.

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 06, 2021, 06:25:37 pm
I will have Brembo calipers on mine...

;D ;D ;D :D  ;)

what's that costing you?

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #26 on: April 06, 2021, 06:49:20 pm
Ride safe!
Wachuko

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: April 06, 2021, 06:58:43 pm
Yea but how do you know they are made by brembo.

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: April 06, 2021, 07:09:45 pm

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: April 06, 2021, 07:49:38 pm
Brembo Stickers on a noname chinese Caliper is just embarassing.
www.enfieldtech.de

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: April 06, 2021, 07:54:50 pm

"Embarrassment only truly exists if others exist who believe you should truly be embarrassed." - Some guy named Phil I met on the train after he caught me two knuckles deep in my nose.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: April 06, 2021, 08:19:09 pm
Whats next? A Harley sticker on a Classic 500? A second dummy cylinder made of plastic?
www.enfieldtech.de

6504me

• Grand Gearhead
  • SW USA
Reply #32 on: April 06, 2021, 08:22:49 pm
Regardless of the manufacturer of the replacement calipers that meet or exceed the original design requirements the fact is that RE has recognized a (potential) failure and it resolving the problem at NO CHARGE  to the owner.

YellowDuck

• Grease Monkey
Reply #33 on: April 06, 2021, 08:29:27 pm
I don't mean to be rude, but if anyone thought a single two-pot, two-pad slider caliper was some kind of performance equipment just because it was supposedly designed by Brembo....well I'm not sure what to say about that.  It is multiple generations behind what counts as performance equipment nowadays - just like everything else on these lovely bikes.  It's not really the point, is it?

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: April 06, 2021, 08:53:32 pm
I don't mean to be rude, but if anyone thought a single two-pot, two-pad slider caliper was some kind of performance equipment just because it was supposedly designed by Brembo....well I'm not sure what to say about that.  It is multiple generations behind what counts as performance equipment nowadays - just like everything else on these lovely bikes.  It's not really the point, is it?

I don't think anyone on here actually thinks the stock calipers, regardless of how they're marked, are performance parts. So, you're not being rude  ;D

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #35 on: April 06, 2021, 09:06:59 pm
Whats next? A Harley sticker on a Classic 500? A second dummy cylinder made of plastic?

They make those?  Must have!

Oh wait... I already have two cylinders...  8)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 09:10:47 pm by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: April 06, 2021, 09:35:44 pm

I think Yamaha already tried a faux V-twin.  :o

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: April 06, 2021, 09:40:41 pm

Was anyone injured or killed?
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Rick Dangerous

• Bulleteer
Reply #38 on: April 06, 2021, 09:58:13 pm

No idea; i don't know the details of the recall other than what my dealer told me.  I certainly hope not.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: April 06, 2021, 10:08:47 pm

From what little info I can find no one has been injured, let alone killed. Essentially the rear brakes on a few bikes, I've heard as few as four, in England locked up from corrosion. RE issued an inspection notice and found that quite a few had caliper piston corrosion issues and acted out of an abundance of caution to replace them. ALL of my info came from online sources so take it for what it's worth.  ;)

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #40 on: April 06, 2021, 10:11:26 pm

Just say'n for clarity:
"BYBRE has been made as a new global brand of components dedicated to two wheelers under 600cc for India. The products would be engineered in Italy, before being mass produced at company’s manufacturing facility of Brembo Brakes India Ltd. at Chakan in Pune. The good part is that the first product from this brand would be made exclusively for use by Bajaj Auto Ltd. Bajaj would use Bybre on majorly bikes from KTM and a few high performance products from their own stables."
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #41 on: April 06, 2021, 10:16:56 pm

ByBre - an abbreviation of “By Brembo”   

What is the issue with placing a Brembo decal on a Brembo caliper?  ???  ::)

https://www.brembo.com/en/company/about/the-group-brands
Ride safe!
Wachuko

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #42 on: April 06, 2021, 10:51:36 pm
I grew up with drum brakes, and never had an issue, but then I never was a "performance" rider, or even heard of track days.
I'd certainly be concerned if my brakes didn't work for any reason, but as a recreational rider, I really don't care what brand it is as long as they don't malfunction. Brembo or ByBrembo, OK by me, but I appreciate that RE was proactive on this. Just sayin'.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: April 06, 2021, 11:08:52 pm
ByBre - an abbreviation of “By Brembo”   

What is the issue with placing a Brembo decal on a Brembo caliper?  ???  ::)

https://www.brembo.com/en/company/about/the-group-brands

None that I can see, although having seen some of your work I'm a little surprised you're not going to polish them to a mirror finish.  ;) ;) ;)

RalphG

• Grease Monkey
Reply #44 on: April 06, 2021, 11:53:24 pm
Having gotten the letter offering the recall, I have declined.  I do not have salted roads where I live and I don't ride in inclement weather, anyway.  My brakes stop very well and I'm leaving well enough alone.  I'm 70 miles from the dealer and don't want to be bothered as I see no payoff in my circumstances.  Maybe I just like the ByBre logo on the calipers. 

I'll save the recall letter just in case.  Recalls for safety purposes do not have an expiration date in the USA.

Ralph
You don't stop riding motorcycles because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding motorcycles.

6504me

• Grand Gearhead
  • SW USA
Reply #45 on: April 07, 2021, 12:00:31 am
Having gotten the letter offering the recall, I have declined.  I do not have salted roads where I live and I don't ride in inclement weather, anyway.  My brakes stop very well and I'm leaving well enough alone.  I'm 70 miles from the dealer and don't want to be bothered as I see no payoff in my circumstances.  Maybe I just like the ByBre logo on the calipers. 

I'll save the recall letter just in case.  Recalls for safety purposes do not have an expiration date in the USA.

Ralph

Having that letter in your back pocket won't do you any good if/when the caliper locks up.

You might reconsider and not look a free safety recall in the mouth.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #46 on: April 07, 2021, 12:55:27 am
None that I can see, although having seen some of your work I'm a little surprised you're not going to polish them to a mirror finish.  ;) ;) ;)

;D ;D ;D
Ride safe!
Wachuko

Spicyred

• Ice Queenslander (Australia)
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #47 on: April 07, 2021, 02:26:34 am
An article from May, 2020 advised that Brembo had issues with their own brake pads failing:

“Triumph and Ducati recalled their bikes using Brembo brakes in the international market. The brake pads on the recalled units are said to be susceptible to corrosion and in some cases, it could even lead to the pad separating from the back plate.”

Brand snobbery will not protect anyone 😂.
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: April 07, 2021, 03:56:22 am
The lack of a Bybre logo definitely separates out the new ones from the recalled parts. I was glad to get mine done even though I had to haul the bike on a 200 mile round trip on a trailer as it was below freezing around here.

It will be interesting to see if the Bybre logo is still present on future/new bikes sold in the recall area markets.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #49 on: April 07, 2021, 07:07:09 am

So is shooting your mouth off before you know what you're talking about  ::)

simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #50 on: April 07, 2021, 07:08:05 am

These losers have already done that
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/this-harley-davidson-fat-boy-is-actually-a-royal-enfield-from-india-142120.html

My 535 CGT caliper ftw  ;D same thing, different logo. Prolly made on the same line as the bybre and the Chinese no name
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 07:13:55 am by gizzo »
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: April 07, 2021, 05:49:38 pm
Looks like a chinese copy shop tried to copy the brembo logo. Look at the last o. That does not seem to be original. The diameter of the inner hole does not fit. No chinese copy is so cheap that it cannot be copied cheaper.

Fake vehicle parts are a great problem today.

https://www.brembo.com/en/company/news/brembo-brakes-guide-to-recognizing-fakes
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 06:14:59 pm by viczena »
www.enfieldtech.de

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Ride safe!
Wachuko

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: April 07, 2021, 08:58:47 pm
Looks like a chinese copy shop tried to copy the brembo logo. Look at the last o. That does not seem to be original. The diameter of the inner hole does not fit. No chinese copy is so cheap that it cannot be copied cheaper.

Fake vehicle parts are a great problem today.

https://www.brembo.com/en/company/news/brembo-brakes-guide-to-recognizing-fakes

That's an interesting read, thanks for the link. I wish they'd gone into more detail concerning how to spot the fakes, but then I'm sure the bad guys would use it as tutorial to improve their fakes.

Hog Head

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: April 08, 2021, 03:21:18 am
Yikes!! :o

Lots of fake "Brembo" callipers and MC here in Thailand.  Price is usually the give away as it is not possible to buy a 300.00 USD MC for 40.00 - Even so one sees lots on bikes of all sorts
In a land where face and status is everything the fakes are a good earner for the cloners

Brembo have a code with their components, that one uses to go online and check that the part is genuine or a copy.

We even have fake women here in Thailand
Ducati Supersport S
Harley XR1200
Triumph T-120 Bonnie (Hinkley)
RE 650 Interceptor
Harley XL1200R

RalphG

• Grease Monkey
Reply #55 on: April 08, 2021, 04:17:48 am
Having that letter in your back pocket won't do you any good if/when the caliper locks up.

You might reconsider and not look a free safety recall in the mouth.
[/quote

For some riders in many locations your advice would be unquestionably sound.  Pulling the calipers every so often to retract the pads and inspect back and forth pad functioning is not a big deal.  And, as noted I don't ride in rain. 

Ralph
You don't stop riding motorcycles because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding motorcycles.

YellowDuck

• Grease Monkey
Reply #56 on: April 08, 2021, 03:17:52 pm

If this is a transphobic statement, can I just say I am not cool with that? Not really necessary in a discussion about brake calipers.  If it is a comment about child abuse...maybe also not appropriate?  Not trying to start anything here.  I said my bit - take it or leave it.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: April 08, 2021, 03:35:58 pm
i think he speaks of fake women, not transgender women. Or do you suggest they are the same?
www.enfieldtech.de

Jared_Lee

• Grease Monkey
Reply #58 on: April 08, 2021, 04:07:37 pm
Good on YellowDuck for speaking up. And yes, if we're talking about life sized plastic or silicone injection mold female figures, non issue.

Rick Dangerous

• Bulleteer
Reply #59 on: April 08, 2021, 10:32:53 pm
Did some hard strop practice on my bike today with the new calipers.  Have every confidence in them; they are rocks solid and haul the bike right down to zero very quickly.

This bike really doesn't need more brake unless you give it a LOT more engine.  I think upgraded pads would be plenty for 99% of us.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #60 on: April 08, 2021, 11:36:13 pm
Good on YellowDuck for speaking up. And yes, if we're talking about life sized plastic or silicone injection mold female figures, non issue.

Don't get too worked up about it. Readers from outside the US will know that it's not unusual in Asian and pacific Island societies to have more than the "usual" 2 genders (up to 5) long before it became fashionable in the west. Thai ladyboys are part of mainstream culture and its not offensive to talk about them. So still, non issue. Unless you're looking for reasons to be offended.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathoey

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.rnz.co.nz/article/e647c92e-6fd6-4a9e-86af-b54d78dad6c3?espv=1

Fake brakes, though.... That's offensive.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Hog Head

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #61 on: April 09, 2021, 03:28:01 am
Don't get too worked up about it. Readers from outside the US will know that it's not unusual in Asian and pacific Island societies to have more than the "usual" 2 genders (up to 5) long before it became fashionable in the west. Thai ladyboys are part of mainstream culture and its not offensive to talk about them. So still, non issue. Unless you're looking for reasons to be offended.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathoey

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.rnz.co.nz/article/e647c92e-6fd6-4a9e-86af-b54d78dad6c3?espv=1

Fake brakes, though.... That's offensive.

Well said
Ducati Supersport S
Harley XR1200
Triumph T-120 Bonnie (Hinkley)
RE 650 Interceptor
Harley XL1200R

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: October 23, 2021, 07:10:01 pm
Sounds like a joke? Right?
Reality is its just transphobia, cognitive or not, its bad.
You clearly have no understanding of what it actually feels like to be trans. Having anyone dismiss you as a joke has no place in society today.
 Keep the comments about motorcycles please.
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

fireypete

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: October 25, 2021, 09:04:45 am
!

Tukemeister

• Scooter
Reply #64 on: October 25, 2021, 09:58:00 am
These are the same calipers that are fitted to the BMW 310GS. Those were recalled a couple of years ago by BMW for exactly the same reasons, the possibility of corrosion caused by winter salt, getting past the seals.

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: October 25, 2021, 03:55:19 pm
These are the same calipers that are fitted to the BMW 310GS. Those were recalled a couple of years ago by BMW for exactly the same reasons, the possibility of corrosion caused by winter salt, getting past the seals.

theyre basically on a bunch of cheaper, lower-tier bikes in a brands range, like the ktm 390. although its a bit surprising for the RE650 because these bybres were really meant for < 600cc bikes (and probably ones not as heavy as the RE650).

personally i find them to be rather weak with no good initial bite. maybe a pad change could fix that but you just adjust your riding to it. when i jump back on my other bike (brembos), the stopping power is way more sensitive and powerful.

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: October 25, 2021, 04:40:09 pm
theyre basically on a bunch of cheaper, lower-tier bikes in a brands range, like the ktm 390. although its a bit surprising for the RE650 because these bybres were really meant for < 600cc bikes (and probably ones not as heavy as the RE650).

personally i find them to be rather weak with no good initial bite. maybe a pad change could fix that but you just adjust your riding to it. when i jump back on my other bike (brembos), the stopping power is way more sensitive and powerful.
Changing the front pads on my bike made a big difference, I used EBC sintered.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

GravyDavy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: October 25, 2021, 05:03:01 pm
Changing the front pads on my bike made a big difference, I used EBC sintered.
Me too. Initial bite is much better.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #68 on: October 27, 2021, 06:27:47 am
Me too. Initial bite is much better.
+1
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Tukemeister

• Scooter
Reply #69 on: October 27, 2021, 09:56:00 am
Changing the pads to a better sintered type - do you think that will affect the life of the brake discs.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #70 on: October 27, 2021, 10:58:03 am
Changing the pads to a better sintered type - do you think that will affect the life of the brake discs.
Maybe, but I'm not bothered. New discs are pretty cheap.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: October 27, 2021, 11:57:34 am
Anybody know if Australia was inc in the recall? I just purchased used 2020 GT and mine has the "Branded" calliper.....due service in Jan/Feb so will request if included....
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #72 on: October 27, 2021, 12:07:11 pm
Anybody know if Australia was inc in the recall? I just purchased used 2020 GT and mine has the "Branded" calliper.....due service in Jan/Feb so will request if included....
It's only an issue in places with salted winter roads. My 2021 bike has branded callipers here in Australia and I don't really want poverty pack looking callipers retrofitted even if there is a recall for them. Not necessary here and I won't be having it done even if I get a letter which I haven't to date.

Ciao
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: October 27, 2021, 12:37:32 pm
It's only an issue in places with salted winter roads. My 2021 bike has branded callipers here in Australia and I don't really want poverty pack looking callipers retrofitted even if there is a recall for them. Not necessary here and I won't be having it done even if I get a letter which I haven't to date.
Had assumed that was the case👍
Ciao
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #74 on: October 28, 2021, 07:42:33 am

Ciao
Same here.
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...