Author Topic: BSA  (Read 9042 times)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #30 on: January 12, 2021, 02:46:06 pm
£14,900/ $20,000 USD is pretty rarified atmosphere!
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #31 on: January 13, 2021, 11:38:15 am
How about something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GTCEiBOsu4

Frank

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #32 on: January 13, 2021, 01:53:48 pm
Followed by a CCM version?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: February 16, 2021, 04:15:09 am
The latest bum dope:

Cycleworld ; January 11, 2021

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/india-is-crazy-for-classic-motorcycles/

And for more fun:
https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-news/photos-reveal-chinese-harley-davidson-hd350/
(I thought the SSR Buccaneer and/or Yamaha XV250 had already covered that niche quite thoroughly. Isn't there a rather limited market for $30K, 1200cc trailbikes? I believe the buying market for this stuff is aging out.)
>>> However, Levatich isn’t running Harley anymore, and his replacement, Jochen Zeitz, has been reeling back some elements of the plans he put in place. During the announcement of Harley’s $92 million net loss in the COVID-hit Q2 of 2020, Zeitz confirmed his rethought plan for Harley’s future—dubbed Hardwire—will be announced in the fourth quarter of this year. In the same earnings presentation he said the Pan America adventure-tourer is still on for a 2021 launch date, but didn’t confirm any of the other machines that were expected in 2021, for instance the Bronx streetfighter or the 1,250cc “high-performance custom” model that has appeared on the firm’s future vehicles web page. He also confirmed the 2020 model year is being extended, pushing back the launch of 2021 machines until the start of next year. Implementation of the five-year Hardwire strategy is said to begin by the end of 2020.   <<<

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: February 25, 2021, 07:06:41 pm
Well out of the box the X7 would do 90, in fact the RD 250 was slightly faster at 93, funny reserection of BSA with a jawa engine l suspect in badge and name only.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: September 05, 2021, 07:27:40 pm
Pix of purported new BSA retro-ish looking big single...looks a bit Goldie-ish...?

While made-in-India Triumph will rival Royal Enfield, BSA will take on the likes of Kawasaki W800; Copyright (C) 'RUSH LANE'
https://www.rushlane.com/new-motorcycle-spied-royal-enfield-rival-jawa-bsa-bajaj-triumph-12410194.html

BSA trail
After successfully resurrecting Jawa, Classic Legends is working on its other projects that include Yezdi and BSA. The company had bought global rights for the iconic BSA brand in 2016. What we know so far is that the BSA motorcycle will utilize a 650cc single-cylinder motor. It is possible that the new retro-styled motorcycle spotted on road tests could actually be BSA. Its retro styling does look familiar to BSA motorcycles that were in production several decades earlier. BSA 650cc motorcycle will be assembled in UK. It will be positioned as a premium product in comparison to Royal Enfield 650 twins and upcoming Royal Enfield 650cc motorcycles. In addition to the standard roadster, other versions of BSA 650cc could also be launched. It could include a scrambler, cafe racer and cruiser. BSA will initially target customers in UK, where the brand has a strong recall. Other European markets will be covered later. BSA India launch is unlikely due to premium pricing and legal tangles.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 07:37:04 pm by AzCal Retred »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: October 13, 2021, 06:55:52 pm
This article agrees with a pic previously found that showed a "test mule" in India that BSA-ish engine castings. Apparently a new Goldstar is in the works. Once you have a functioning "big single" engine, street & dual-sport versions are easy to concoct. Maybe we'll see BSA-KLRish and a BSA-GB/W-like machines soon.
" The report also claims that new BSA motorcycles for Europe will be manufactured in India and assembled abroad. " This shouldn't cause much worry, just look at the RE650 quality. India's more than able to build & ship very nice "knocked down" machines to be assembled in Birmingham later. It'll be interesting to see this play out.

https://indianewsrepublic.com/bsa-motorcycle-relaunched-with-new-650cc-engine/327662/

BSA motorcycle relaunched with new 650cc engine ; June 3, 2021
Mahindra & Mahindra Support Classic Legends reintroduces the iconic Yezdi motorcycle. Brands until the end of this year. According to a new media report, the Class Legends engineering team has also developed a 650cc engine for future BSA motorcycles. Yes, BSA Motorcycles will re-emerge as a premium motorcycle brand.

The new 650cc engine is in the process of being tested and powers premium BSA motorcycles. Someone close to development claims that the new middleweight engine will power the motorcycle planned for the BSA’s resurgence. The new engine with the BSA prototype is currently in testing. This engine complies with the Euro 5 emission standards required in Europe. Classic Legends is the first to introduce BSA motorcycles in the European market.

The report also claims that new BSA motorcycles for Europe will be manufactured in India and assembled abroad. In addition, a dedicated assembly line for premium BSA motorcycles has been set up at the Pisanpur plant. The launch schedule for the new BSA bike has not yet been announced. If all goes well, a new production-ready Avatar motorcycle could be unveiled at EICMA 2021 in Milan later this year.

Classic Legends has secured £ 4.6 million in funding from the UK Government. The company has set up a technology and design center in the UK and is looking for engineers from various disciplines. The company is also reportedly working on electric bikes under the BSA brand.

Previously reported Classic Legend will first launch a regular BSA motorcycle in 2021-22, Followed by Electric BSA in 2022. However, the COVID-19 pandemic can delay planning by several months.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: October 13, 2021, 10:12:34 pm
The "premium" description makes me a little nervous.  ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: October 14, 2021, 01:26:57 am
The RE650 is a "premium" brand, yes? So an $8000 - $9000 Retro-custom-niche-market thumper isn't beyond possibility. If it's supposed to be a $12K status symbol, I doubt it'll last a year. It's not going to be a living-retro-replica like the Indian Iron Barrel Bullet was, and there's no market for that anyway. It'll have to be a painless-to-own, fun to ride, "antiquish-looking" piece much like the RE Interceptor or W800 Kawasaki or GB500 Honda.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #39 on: October 14, 2021, 08:29:30 am
The "premium" description makes me a little nervous.  ;)

Well it will be because the standard in the planed future in the centrally planed economy will be the super soco electric.  ;)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: October 14, 2021, 02:24:14 pm
Instead of "premium" why not just call it the "expensive" model?  ;)  I agree with AzCal Retired. If they plan to market it in India for anywhere near $8K, they should include a display stand and use it as window-dressing in their dealerships. At that price it could even be a hard sell in the US. While BSAs were popular during the 1960's I am not sure how many current riders remember the brand and would want to pay a "premium" price for the brand name.   ???
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: October 14, 2021, 06:13:11 pm
Don McLean may have said it best:

"The More You Pay"

The auctioneer said, I'm not through yet,
Here's a horse the likes of which you've never seen,
And the straw hats in the sun, with a face beneath each one,
Shown doubtful and the auctioneer got mean.
Do you think that you can find a horse like this every day?
I don't think there's any better on this earth,
And the more you pay, the more it's worth.

Then out she came, a snow-white mare,
Prancin' and a dancin' in the silver sun,
They watched her from behind, as she did her bump and grind,
Walkin' naked, sad and graceful for their fun.
Oh how I wished I could afford that lady painted white,
A queen with high nobility of birth,
But the more you pay, the more it's worth.

My pockets hung with empty blues,
Silent heels were standin' on my growin' pains,
My bid was not too bad, two bits was all I had,
And the stable boy just handed me the reins.
Well the gallery went wild, and the auctioneer half smiled,
What we don't sell we shoot or give away,
'Cause the more you pay, the more it's worth.

And where was the boy, who rode on her back,
With his arms holding tight round her neck?
How tightly he clung,
When they both were young,
And fate had not let this poor girl be so
Disgraced.

https://genius.com/Don-mclean-the-more-you-pay-the-more-its-worth-lyrics
https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/donmclean/themoreyoupay.html

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #42 on: October 14, 2021, 07:20:31 pm
Instead of "premium" why not just call it the "expensive" model?  ;)  I agree with AzCal Retired. If they plan to market it in India for anywhere near $8K, they should include a display stand and use it as window-dressing in their dealerships. At that price it could even be a hard sell in the US. While BSAs were popular during the 1960's I am not sure how many current riders remember the brand and would want to pay a "premium" price for the brand name.   ???

I'm having a hard time understanding where Mahindra thinks they are going with the BSA name.  It certainly looks, on the face of things, that they intend these for the Euro and NA markets and not for India sales. 

- For one thing, there's that price, approaching twice that of an RE Interceptor.
   - There's the announcements that they are looking to build these new BSAs in the UK. 
   https://www.bloombergquint.com/global-economics/mahindra-seizes-on-brexit-tumult-with-revival-of-bsa-motorbikes
   -  And there's the fact that Mahindra can't sell bikes as "BSA" in India, because TI Cycles has legal rights to that name 
   https://www.fastbikesindia.com/default/mahindra-aims-neo-retro

This BSA rebirth has alternately been declared to be a recreation of the Gold Star, an Electric Motorcyle, a warmed over Mahindra Mojo, and more, ... it's hard to keep up with the twists and turns.  At the end of the day, perhaps the only thing it will have in common with the machines from Birmingham, will be a few letters on the side in chromed plastic.

Even stranger than this convoluted BSA story, is the idea that the "Yezdi" name will have cachet anywhere except in India.  Since the upcoming Yezdi ADV moto appears to be clearly targeted at the RE Himalayan, with almost no resemblance to the original Yezdis, I wonder why Mahindra doesn't just bring the machine out as another "Jawa"
https://www.rushlane.com/upcoming-yezdi-adventure-motorcycle-to-rival-re-himalayan-12413050.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yezdi_Roadking

Meanwhile, I'm envious to see Indian made Jawas have made it to Prague.  Czech girls are well known for their beauty, but I question the practicality of these frilly frocks for actual riding.  https://www.businesstoday.in/latest/story/life-comes-full-circle-anand-mahindra-as-jawa-bikes-return-to-czech-republic-after-90-years-278888-2020-11-17   

I wish I could get one of these Classic Legends Jawas here in the US.   I'll swap you a Harley for yours!

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: October 14, 2021, 08:12:50 pm
The stilletto riding shoes are a nice touch too... :o  ;D

Axman88 - astute & erudite as always. The "building" part was to be I have to assume more of a "assembly of knocked down India-sourced kits" operation rather than starting with a bin of disparate parts. As you point out, the UK/US market is pretty small potatoes for an effort like this, it's tough to see how they could charge (and get) enough per unit to make out. It's also a puzzle as to what they are really trying to sell. We've seen the "one-off" single cylinder machine, maybe, but it's not that big a challenge to whittle out one test mule from the solid given Mahindra's industrial machining resources. I'm thinking Grumbern with a napkin drawing, access to a small checkbook and a Mahindra backroom machine shop could accomplish that in a couple months. It's an interesting process to watch - maybe it's all a Business Executive alternative to owning their own sports team - "counting coup" in the board room?

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #44 on: October 14, 2021, 10:18:48 pm
maybe it's all a Business Executive alternative to owning their own sports team - "counting coup" in the board room?
I'm imagining the finance execs over at Mahindra giving dirty looks to any guys who mention a "motorcycle marketing opportunity" within earshot of Anand Mahindra.  He's the CEO and visionary, who just a few years ago, said that Mahindra's entrance into the moto market was a mistake. 

https://www.financialexpress.com/auto/bike-news/anand-mahindra-richard-branson-mahindra-bikes-jawa-bikes-bsa-bikes-launch-mahindra-mojo-price/1791618/

In this same article I link to here, he's pictured with Richard Branson.  Maybe Mahindra will be jumping on the space wagon train soon?   If Mr. Mahindra starts talking space tractors, that should soften up the finance guys.  They will be ready to start building Ariels and Vincents, let alone BSAs.

I think he was referring to the initial offering of the Mojo in his expression of regret.  The Jawa licensing experience was more successful, although I recall some misgivings by Mahindra insiders expressed in the media early on, as demand for the stylish singles exceeded supply and quality issues manifested themselves.

I haven't been keeping up with the twists and turns of the BSA adventure, so your assessment of the situation should be weighted more than mine.   They've supposedly been working on this since late 2016, and we still are  seeing articles with pictures of old BSA bikes and Photoshop renderings of concepts?

Maybe I missed something, but it seems like the Yezdi Roadking will easily beat any and every "new" BSA to the starting line.  This machine has at least been seen in real life.  https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/uk-bound-yezdi-revival-set-be-spearheaded-royal-enfield-himalayan-rival