Author Topic: Classic 500 - Differences between recent model years?  (Read 6154 times)

majstevetrevor

• Scooter
Hey all, I owned a 2015 Classic 500 for two years, but ended up selling it and getting a Triumph.  (The RE was a bit of a lemon I am afraid.)  But I have missed it for just riding around town, and am thinking of getting another one.  I know that since then they have added ABS and a rear disc and maybe some other things. And it looks like now they have taken OFF the kick start (?!). 

So, my question for those of you in the know is, Can anyone differentiate between the models from, say 2016 to 2020?  When did the kick start come off?  (I definitely want one.)  And are there any differences in the engine tunings etc?  (I have heard that there are.)  One of things I liked best about mine was the low end torque, so any change to that would be unwanted.  But overall, if anyone can line out the differences in the last 4 or 5 year models I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 07:12:31 pm
Best tell us where you are, or fill out your Forum Profile, as available export models and their features can vary from country to country.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

majstevetrevor

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 07:35:12 pm
Best tell us where you are, or fill out your Forum Profile, as available export models and their features can vary from country to country.

Thanks, I am in the US.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 11:30:54 pm
Thanks, I am in the US.

2010 didn't have a kickstarter. 2011 on up did. With the impending demise of the 500 this may be your last chance. The Himalayan and 650s don't have a kicker.

majstevetrevor

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 12:46:45 am
Yes, I believe I was misled by a video review of a 2019 version, where the reviewer said it did not have a kick starter any longer, and you could see that it didn't. But I think for some reason it had just been removed, or perhaps not yet assembled fully by the dealer.

Anyway, and other comments or observations anyone has on how the models since my 2015 have changed would be welcome. (Aside from the rear disc, which I know about.)  Is the engine tuning any different, etc?

Also, I didn't know that the C500 was on its way out...  A shame.

Thanks.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 11:12:32 pm
I think Royal Enfield might have frinkled with the ECU between 2015 and 2019 to meet changing emission requirements.
As for the rest of the bike, Royal Enfield was always changing things to improve them.
Since  2009 they changed the wiring harness so it doesn't look like a rat's nest in the head light casquette, changed the fuses from the old glass tube to the modern push in type, added a second oil drain port under the crankshaft, changed the front fork design, changed the size of the front rim, changed the direction the crankshaft bolt that holds the primary drive sprocket on so it wouldn't unscrew itself, and a host of other improvements.

They never seem to reserve these changes for a "yearly change" for the new years models, but rather, do it whenever the mood suits them so some motorcycles made in a given year might have some of the changes but others that were made in that same year don't.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 04:40:56 am
They never seem to reserve these changes for a "yearly change" for the new years models, but rather, do it whenever the mood suits them so some motorcycles made in a given year might have some of the changes but others that were made in that same year don't.

Yeah, you get the impression its something like "hey you guys over there doing the wiring, use up the old harnesses and at whatever point they finally run out swap over to these newfangled ones we just got in" .

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 08:09:39 am
I don't think they are alone in that. If you look at parts books for any vehicle, they will often specify a part No. for engines / chassis numbers up xxxxx and a different part No. for numbers xxxx1 and on.
Something you do need to be aware of.

Frank

brucerobles

• Neophyte
Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 11:40:11 am
There is not so much difference between the recent model and old model, above 80 it vibrates as much as it vibrates before.

Chaz Michael Michaels

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 12:35:56 am
Yeah, you get the impression its something like "hey you guys over there doing the wiring, use up the old harnesses and at whatever point they finally run out swap over to these newfangled ones we just got in" .

I can actually hear this conversation in my head.
2020 RE Trials 500
2017 RE Classic 500
Ducati Desert Sled
Ducati Multistrada 1260 S

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 03:08:48 pm
Well there has been a few changes pre unit to UCE, and a number of superficial changes such as abs, but the engines still have similar power out puts, they are not really an 80 mph bike but rather a sedate plodder best at cruising country roads at 50 and getting time to see the veiw.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 03:20:51 pm
I don't have a dog in the UCE fight, but I've read several times here that 2014 or later is reputed to be some sort of sweet spot for build quality. I couldn't vouch for this notion, and there are lots of happy pre-2014 owners out there, but that's what I've often read here. That said, I've a hunch the UCEs are just like the older Iron Barrels in one respect: there are sweet ones and lousy ones.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 09:37:12 pm
Here is a British review of a late 1970's Indian 350 Bullet from the World of Motorcycling Encyclopedia.  I bet it is even an older model that what the Bilgemaster rides.  ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 11:47:55 pm
A lot of the older bikes have covered 37,000 miles on same engine, especially the pre-units.

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: March 20, 2021, 01:17:32 pm
I'm pretty sure the kickstart has never been deleted from the 500 single and my 2020 UCE has one. I think that rumour started from a certain YouTube review where a UK dealer forgot the bolt the kickstart lever onto a brand new bike on assembly and the 'reviewer' thought it had been 'deleted' - even though the kickstart shaft was still visibly protruding the the engine! I believe the tune of the UCE engine has remained the same throughout it's production with the only changes being electronic ones to the EFI system to improve running or meet EEC emissions regulations. Production of the 500 engine stopped in 2020 and the new 350 model is electric start only.  :-\
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500