Author Topic: Expected Maintenance  (Read 3608 times)

k6iuz

• Scooter
on: January 18, 2020, 01:51:20 am
Greetings...so I'm looking into possibly acquiring an Interceptor 650 but after viewing videos from folk doing mainteance I'm concerned...for instance one video showed a bike with about 15,000km on it and both wheel bearings have already been replaced...this sounds incredulous, as my 01 1150GS has aout 175,000km on it and the front bearing has never been changed. I'm hoping to get over 150,000km on my next bike but this may not be the bike for me.
Anyone comments on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 02:18:57 am
I too haven't purchased yet but have been observing for the same reasons. I think they've done a great job re the INT/GT and if your first bike was British then it definitely tugs at your heart. It's new and some of the components may be suspect but there are YouTube videos that are positive. I like this one......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmIA9BlLelo.
Not made to compete with your BMW of course. Certainly a great retro machine that appears almost authentic.
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where

past machines: BSA Lightning, HD FX1200, 75/6 BMW, 90/6, R80RT, R100RT, K75S, current machines: DR650, DL650.

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 03:47:07 am
The Interceptor more than tugged at my heart, it captured it.  It will never be as sophisticated as my old BMW 1150 RT, but the BMW's are in a league all their own in that respect and virtually no bike can match them in that regard.  On the other hand, that bike ran so smooth, so fast, so powerful and handled so well that it damned near killed me.  Left the highway at 90mph, and BMW's don't fly fer shit.  The sudden stop at the end hurt like hell and for a looong time.  The bike had a nasty habit of doing 90 when you thought you were doing 60 and that damned near killed me.

If my wheel bearings only last 15,000 miles that's fine with me.  Replacing them isn't very expensive and they can be replaced with the highest quality bearings on the planet.  In the meantime I can pretend I'm Steve McQueen in The Great Escape.
  8)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 03:50:21 am by jimku »
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 04:54:20 am
I'm looking into possibly acquiring an Interceptor 650 but after viewing videos ... I'm concerned...for instance one video showed a bike with about 15,000km on it and both wheel bearings have already been replaced

If my wheel bearings only last 15,000 miles that's fine with me. 

Just pointing out, the OP is saying 15,000 KILOMETERS, which is less than 9,500 miles.  I saw Jimku stating the 15,000 miles service life in another thread.  Both numbers are pretty low.  Can anyone direct folks to the source of this issue report?

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 05:47:32 am
I don't remember where I saw it or even if it's true.
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

k6iuz

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 10:21:39 pm
Just pointing out, the OP is saying 15,000 KILOMETERS, which is less than 9,500 miles.  I saw Jimku stating the 15,000 miles service life in another thread.  Both numbers are pretty low.  Can anyone direct folks to the source of this issue report?
I just reviewed the video where I found the info about the wheel bearings...seem as though they were replaced at 9000 km. Here is the link

https://youtu.be/zdq71c8_3NU

The bike sure looks fabulous though!

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 05:28:18 am
I just reviewed the video where I found the info about the wheel bearings...seem as though they were replaced at 9000 km.

The bike sure looks fabulous though!

For folks who might not be able to convert kilometers into miles, the front and rear wheel bearings on this man's Interceptor were replaced at around 5625 miles.  He says that the bearings were cheap, I assume when he says "600 bucks" in the video, he is referring to Indian Rupees which would translate to about $8.50 US dollars.

One thing that might be something to consider is that this fellow says he booked his bike very early after introduction, so perhaps the bearing issue was worked out, or is an isolated incident.  This guy also talks about the head bearings being an issue, which, as I recall, was also an issue on the early Himalayans.

Going back a bit in history, Pete Snidal says in his book that the India made Bullets used low quality bearings and that they should be replaced when possible with good quality, Swedish, English or US made bearings.  I can say that I pulled a rear wheel bearing out of a 1999 Bullet with around 11,000 miles on it, that was toast.  To me, a wheel bearing isn't that big a deal, easy to get to, and likely to make it's demise known by various signals.  I'd be more concerned about the possibility that low grade bearings might be inside the engine casings, where they could possibly do some real nasty, expensive damage before being discovered.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 02:57:01 pm by axman88 »

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 08:04:01 am
if you asked me could you go into a bike shop and buy a new bike say an enfield and get 150,000 km trouble free -my answer is short and sweet NO! I bet not many and I say not many have hit 50,000 trouble free! let alone add another 100,000 km to the numbers

now if it is possible i'd bet on the interceptor to do a good 50,000 km. if I get that out of mine trouble free or near trouble free I would be very happy indeed and if it sh// itself I would be prepared to scrap it and buy another and write it off as an interesting experience.

im actually riding this bike more than any other enfield I have owned  bar one- and we all know I have owned 15 of the rascals - just to see what I can get out of 650 twin before or if I have issues.

this bike may actually surprise me as I just clocked 4,000 km today and it is running extremely well...LOL

there may be lots who disagree but if you think 150k i'd honestly buy a honda cb500x as ive had two new-and they are very well made bikes and cheaper than an enfield too.

only real problem they are some-what boring to ride-no smile value on your face and no character .

last year I had 5 bikes at one stage including the 019 cb500x  and 3 were brand new. most would be happy with that but I use to walk out and look at the rubbish and think ……..what a waste of money. never rode them or very little

you'd be much better thinking something like this. I want a classic looking bike to re-live my youth which will start each time and run along easy at 60 or 70 mph. handles nice and has abs and fuel injection and is pretty safe to ride and can turn heads in a crowd of bikes.

well I think the interceptor can/will do all that. ….but you cant win them all so you may have to turn religious for that big ticket number!

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 08:24:29 am
Wild Bill,

Again...great analysis from you below.

I've only owned Jap bikes.....(8 or 9 of 'em)...only problems I've had was from previous owners f-ing them up, not from the quality of the bike.  my suzuki, which is my "main" bike..has 55,000 miles (miles, not km's)...just routine maintenance.  I'm looking for a replacement for that suzuki....not that I will sell the Suzuki...I'll just ride it till it dies, because it has zero resale value now, but is still a great bike.  But I was looking for a new "main" bike.

I was really hoping the RE650 was going to fill the bill.  Reality....eh...RE looks like a continuous "project"...that it will need attention from time to time, especially as it ages....I would have no problem with this, if I considered the RE as my 'second" bike, or third bike...but as a main bike...I am having second thoughts.  Things like stuck ignition keys, failing wheel bearings, false neutrals, hard shifts...all stuff which is "fixable" and one could deal with....but causing me to loose my zeal....

Reminds me of guys who have Ural motorcycles...some say they are crap....some say, that if you don't mind "tinkering" all the time, they are fantastic!

Cookie

if you asked me could you go into a bike shop and buy a new bike say an enfield and get 150,000 km trouble free -my answer is short and sweet NO! I bet not many and I say not many have hit 50,000 trouble free! let alone add another 100,000 km to the numbers

now if it is possible i'd bet on the interceptor to do a good 50,000 km. if I get that out of mine trouble free or near trouble free I would be very happy indeed and if it sh// itself I would be prepared to scrap it and buy another and write it off as an interesting experience.

im actually riding this bike more than any other enfield I have owned  bar one- and we all know I have owned 15 of the rascals - just to see what I can get out of 650 twin before or if I have issues.

this bike may actually surprise me as I just clocked 4,000 km today and it is running extremely well...LOL

there may be lots who disagree but if you think 150k i'd honestly buy a honda cb500x as ive had two new-and they are very well made bikes and cheaper than an enfield too.

only real problem they are some-what boring to ride-no smile value on your face and no character .

last year I had 5 bikes at one stage including the 019 cb500x  and 3 were brand new. most would be happy with that but I use to walk out and look at the rubbish and think ……..what a waste of money. never rode them or very little

you'd be much better thinking something like this. I want a classic looking bike to re-live my youth which will start each time and run along easy at 60 or 70 mph. handles nice and has abs and fuel injection and is pretty safe to ride and can turn heads in a crowd of bikes.

well I think the interceptor can/will do all that. ….but you cant win them all so you may have to turn religious for that big ticket number!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 12:21:33 pm by twocoolgliders »

jhark37

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 11:18:08 am
Wild Bill,

Again...great analysis from you below.

I've only owned Jap bikes.....(8 or 9 of 'em)...only problems I've had was from previous owners f-ing them up, not from the quality of the bike.  my suzuki, which is my "main" bike..has 55,000 miles (miles, not km's)...just routine maintenance.  I'm looking for a replacement for that suzuki....not that I will sell the Suzuki...I'll just ride it till it dies, because it has zero resale value now, but is still a great bike.  But I was looking for a new "main" bike.

I was really hoping the RE650 was going to fill the bill.  Reality....eh...RE looks like a continuous "project"...that it will need attention from time to time, especially as it ages....I would have no problem with this, if I considered the RE as my 'second" bike, or third bike...but as a main bike...I am having second thoughts.  Things like stuck ignition keys, failing wheel bearings, false neutrals, hard shifts...all stuff which is "fixable" and one could deal with....but causing be to loose my zeal....

Reminds me of guys who have Ural motorcycles...some say they are crap....some say, that if you don't mind "tinkering" all the time, they are fantastic!

Cookie

From my perspective, you're overdoing the 'project' nature of the RE.  I've got 4600 totally trouble free miles on mine.  From its robust performance, I wouldn't hesitate to jump on it and ride a couple thousand miles!  Starts every time, never hesitated once.  Gets 70 mpg.

I also tend to think the complainers get more air time than the satisfied owners.  Doubt that the reporting is balanced. 

Just my opinion.

John

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 12:34:17 pm
Granted you may not hear of all the "not problems" because they are not problems!

4600 miles is nothing...just barely break in.....the fact that some have zero issues and others have annoying QC issues is what irks me.

I guess one might have QC issues with any brand nowadays.  My last Honda was built in Mylasia!  My Suzuki in Spain.   It just seems the Japs keep a tight hand on the QC.   I bet guys with Triumphs at 2x the cost still have issues from time to time.

let's talk when you have 10x those miles....good luck...

I came "this close" to buying the "old" RE cafe racer, the single....but I got my Yamaha instead.

A friend bought the RE.

He was sorry he did.
I was glad I didn't.

he had lots of quality issues, always in the shop. (luckily covered by warranty)  ("they" said that was a great bike too)

He traded it in on a Bonneville.....loves it.

OTOH....

Bank account looking fat....need to do something this spring....not looking to buy a bike which looks like an exoskeleton "bug", like every other bike out there....so maybe?

Cookie

From my perspective, you're overdoing the 'project' nature of the RE.  I've got 4600 totally trouble free miles on mine.  From its robust performance, I wouldn't hesitate to jump on it and ride a couple thousand miles!  Starts every time, never hesitated once.  Gets 70 mpg.

I also tend to think the complainers get more air time than the satisfied owners.  Doubt that the reporting is balanced. 

Just my opinion.

John

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 01:53:06 pm
well what about the first one I bought in ravishing red-only did one tank of gas and the key got stuck in the gas cap...lol couldn't get the cap open. rang the dealer and it had to be totally re-keyed. I had no choice butto sell it and drop $2000 on a bike which had done 200 miles only...lol

now this bike or bike two has a real good gas cap! ;D opens nicely -how things improve in a matter of months...LOL

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 02:02:48 pm
My daughter's 1981 BMW R65LS has over 100K miles on the clock and her husband's 1986 Honda VFR700FII (Interceptor) has 125K miles on it. Both motorcycles have been ridden a lot in the rain and on rough roads.  They have not maintained all that well and both are running with the original wheel, steering head and swing arm bearings, which have never been removed or greased since they left the factory. So far no problems.  I might add that the VFR still has its original drive sprockets, which show little wear.  (However, it has gone through a number of batteries, voltage regulators and one alternator.)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 02:08:14 pm
I think 8 years back I bought a bmw bike. could have been a 900cc. one day I will have to find the photo. huge bike...lol too big to ride

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 09:42:46 pm
My daughter's 1981 BMW R65LS has over 100K miles on the clock and her husband's 1986 Honda VFR700FII (Interceptor) has 125K miles on it. Both motorcycles have been ridden a lot in the rain and on rough roads.  They have not maintained all that well and both are running with the original wheel, steering head and swing arm bearings, which have never been removed or greased since they left the factory. So far no problems.  I might add that the VFR still has its original drive sprockets, which show little wear.  (However, it has gone through a number of batteries, voltage regulators and one alternator.)

As others have said, it may be down to individual bikes. I too had a BMW R65. The worst new bike I have ever owned. I was actually glad when a blind driver failed to stop for a red light. I T-boned him and totaled the bike.