Author Topic: Riddich frames.  (Read 2202 times)

Mike flanagan

• Bulleteer
on: January 27, 2020, 05:12:59 pm
Without bothering Adrian too much(lol).I was curious what the difference was between the newer style,after mid 50's frames.Example,the crusader and the constillation.My frame parts number for my m.minor is different than super meteor.I have 2 newer riddich frames,they look about the same size.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 07:20:47 pm
No bothered at all, but I will see if someone else wants to answer.  ;)

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 07:51:13 pm
The frames of the bigger (350 and more) ones are virtually the same, the smaller ones will only fit the unit engine und are visibly smaller and shorter. There are differences though in the seat mountings and the loops holding the footrest mounts.
Andreas

Mike flanagan

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 09:40:43 pm
Well the meteor minor seems smaller than the interceptor.Although i must confess ive never seen an interceptor up close,just seems longer.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 11:07:07 pm
There was an intermediate semi-lightweight version used on some of the 500 Meteor Minors, if yours has a front engine mounting lug to take two bolts it's one of those.

Plenty of Redditch frames to compare here.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/Used-Parts-and-Bikes/Frames

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Jon

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 10:59:42 pm
Wouldn't be pedantic about it but I seem to remember a bike featured in one of the classic rags called the " Currysader " which was described as a Crusader rolling chassis fitted with an Enfield India 350 motor and box. I also have a dim recollection of the Osprey book referring to a Clipper model that used Crusader cycle parts and the Bullet power train to create a cheap 350. An even dimmer memory is of a Bike magazine article referencing Interceptor motors fitted into Bullet rolling chassis.

Citrus

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 12:44:25 am
Well here is a real mixture - a 56 350 frame with a 535 2006 Electra engine (with ported normal bullet head), Interceptor swing arm and steering head, Indian Chief steering damper and then any other bits I could find around the place !!

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 07:36:18 am
Well, you can fit anything, but not without a good portion of modification and these were not from the factory. The question was about the differences of the stock frames and there's just a hand full of different frames, i.e. the smaller ones (250 and 350 unit) and the bigger ones (350 to 750) and these two with some alterations over the time.
Andreas

P.S.: Allso building my own bitsa from a Continental frame and Bullet drivetrain 8)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 11:49:09 am
The pre-unit Bullet engine in the smaller Crusader frame is "a thing" among specials builders, Grumbern's is the latest in a noble tradition of these bitsas. There was also a bit of a Trifield cult using unit 500 Triumph twin engines in these frames, you can still buy Converta engine plates for these. The Crusader frame needs a bit of work to get the Bullet engine and gearbox to fit, UNLIKE the Redditch Bullet/Super Meteor/Connie/Interceptor, etc, frames, where an Indian Bullet and gearbox will simply bolt straight in with the right parts. I have also seen a Series 2 Interceptor engine fitted in an Indian Bullet frame, but that's for another time.

Citrus, I like your Redditch Electra hybrid, but what's wrong with the Electra AVL head? It's already got a nice big inlet tract, and it messes with purists' minds in these frames! Here's mine, still proudly sporting the AVL head, though the crankcases are off a classic Bullet, modified, to allow for magneto ignition. I'm working on another one...

My Not A Fury also has a set of Indian Bullet cases and 5 speed gearbox in a '61 Redditch frame, again it all just bolted together.

A.

Citrus

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 12:36:59 am
Your hybrid looks good Adrian
I built the bike to use "stuff" off my shelves. I had the Electra engine (rebuilt by previous owner but never run) - complete up to the head. It was going to be raced and was fitted with HC piston. I had the ported bullet head and the 34mm Amal which had been on another race engine - so that is what was used ! No science in it at all - just a jigsaw and experiment. Stuff on shelves seems to be dead money and is worth little - but turn it into a ridable motorcycle - and you have fun as well as value.

BTW - I do have 350 and a 500 AVL heads - if anybody wants them - yell out.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 05:39:06 pm
So what piston do you actually have in there at the moment? Some 535 Electra-X pistons are flat top, but some of the earlier Hitchcock accessory pistons for their Electra-X big-bore kit had a raised area with a flat top in the center of the crown to boost the CR and improve the squish band? Unless the iron barrel type head has had its combustion chamber re-worked, I would be wondering what sort of compression ratio you're getting.  ???

Whereabouts are you Citrus? I live in the UK, and even if you're offering a good deal on the 500 head, shipping/freight/postage could still make it uneconomic.

A.

Citrus

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 12:44:10 am
Adrian
Yes - the lean burn head does not allow for raised piston. This has a Hitchcocks HC piston protruding into the head space the same as it would a "normal bullet" HC - so the compression is 8.5:1

I am in Aus. Yes freight would be a few $ - but if you like I can get a price for you