Author Topic: "Scramblerizing" my Interceptor  (Read 10344 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #30 on: April 11, 2021, 04:15:47 pm
That's more what I'm after - a "street scrambler" setup, so I can ride on the street or the unimproved roads we have so many miles of in Idaho. Not going after trail or cross-country riding, I'd get a different bike for that.
Plus, I've always loved the street scrambler style, ever since my Triumph TR6 days back in the '60's and early '70's. (Don't miss the carbs, the Lucas electronics, etc.)
I want to keep my stock wheels, use stock tire sizes, just get better grip on gravel and dirt roads. Probably still 70 percent street riding. Maybe an "adventure" tire? Not sure what those guys use but I see a lot of them around in the Salmon River country where I like to go (I mostly have stayed on the pavement so far, but they can take shortcuts). I suppose they mostly have 19" front tires, so I'm probably limited because of the 18" wheels.
p.s. Just for sentiment's sake, this bike is a dead ringer (even the color) for the TR6 I rode all over the western hemisphere back in the day. Is that classic or what? It was my first love. High pipes and better tires on my Interceptor, and I've got what I'm after, except still missing the kick-starter.  :D

That's what I was going for as well. I originally put a universal Shinko on the rear. It worked but I was uncomfortable with the clearance of the swingarm. The issue is the circumference near the swingarm pivot. With a longer or slightly stretched chain I could gain some room but with everything new it was tight. Tire selection in 18"wheels is what finally had me bite the bullet and swap rims to 19" and 17". There are a few good tires that are 50/50 street/dirt. When I got the BMW GS it had pure street tires. I swapped to the new Dunlop Trailmax Missions. They are incredible! The store was sold out when I needed tires for the Interceptor so I got Shinkos that cost half as much. Most "ADV" tires are simply street tires with deeper tread. Not worth the bother.

I love the Zard pipes! They run almost cool enough to touch, at least with a gloved hand. My 2010 Triumph Scrambler would roast my leg. I also like the way the Zard curves in where your knee would be. The others seem pretty straight. I wish the Zard were polished, more in keeping with the 60s vibe but the brushed look is well done.

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: April 11, 2021, 09:56:30 pm
You have put together a great looking bike. I can't do it all right now, but one thing at a time.
Did you build the wheels yourself or have someone do it? I've built lots of bicycle wheels but never a motorcycle wheel.

Where did you buy the Zard exhaust? Did they have them in stock or was it special order?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 10:02:42 pm by biscot »

Breaker Express

• Grease Monkey
  • Ocoee, FL USA
Reply #32 on: April 11, 2021, 10:11:26 pm
Check out this video of a scrambler

https://youtu.be/CnVfhW5msLc
2020 Baker Express

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #33 on: April 11, 2021, 10:32:36 pm
Nice video. At 8:16 & later there's an informative shot of the front end working and the front tire biting. It takes surface area & open tread to do that without carving into the ground or just skating straight ahead. The video basically showed you about the maximum terrain ruggedness the 650 is going to accept and not spit you off. Your are essentially replicating a 1960's desert sled. The fork is short travel, and nearly the entire stroke is being used in the mild terrain filmed. If that's what you are after, I'd copy the bike in the film, but still run the largest tire you can shoehorn between the forks. Looks like fun IF kept within it's operating limits. Beyond that the "street bike" geometry & suspension will try to hurt you, and you most certainly do not want 450 pounds of resentful, knobby equipped Enfield grinding you into the dirt at speed. There's a good reason the Desert Sleds faded into history when lighter, more nimble, better suspended hardware became available. Have fun but be advised.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: April 13, 2021, 05:50:10 pm
You have put together a great looking bike. I can't do it all right now, but one thing at a time.
Did you build the wheels yourself or have someone do it? I've built lots of bicycle wheels but never a motorcycle wheel.

Where did you buy the Zard exhaust? Did they have them in stock or was it special order?
I sent the hubs to Woody's in Colorado. After I sent them they said they would prefer the whole wheel but they still did a great job. I can't remember where I bought the Zard pipes. I think it was directly from their website.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: April 13, 2021, 05:53:37 pm
Nice video. At 8:16 & later there's an informative shot of the front end working and the front tire biting. It takes surface area & open tread to do that without carving into the ground or just skating straight ahead. The video basically showed you about the maximum terrain ruggedness the 650 is going to accept and not spit you off. Your are essentially replicating a 1960's desert sled. The fork is short travel, and nearly the entire stroke is being used in the mild terrain filmed. If that's what you are after, I'd copy the bike in the film, but still run the largest tire you can shoehorn between the forks. Looks like fun IF kept within it's operating limits. Beyond that the "street bike" geometry & suspension will try to hurt you, and you most certainly do not want 450 pounds of resentful, knobby equipped Enfield grinding you into the dirt at speed. There's a good reason the Desert Sleds faded into history when lighter, more nimble, better suspended hardware became available. Have fun but be advised.
Well said! When I had my 2010 Triumph Scrambler the owners manual stated clearly this is a styling exercise. Do not take it off road. Compare that to the 1200 Scrambler they are saying is a world class adventure bike capable of anything you want to throw at it!

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #36 on: April 13, 2021, 06:02:53 pm

Appreciate your comments. I cut my teeth on "desert sleds" and have been through the paces with them. I'm aware of their limitations, and have to say I have more limitations these days than they do. For me it's as much about nostalgia and the look of the bike - I won't be jumping any fences, just cruising on some dirt roads. I'll leave the acrobatics to the kids.

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #37 on: April 13, 2021, 06:28:32 pm
I sent the hubs to Woody's in Colorado. After I sent them they said they would prefer the whole wheel but they still did a great job. I can't remember where I bought the Zard pipes. I think it was directly from their website.

Thanks - I contacted Zard and Hitchcocks - Hitchcocks was a little cheaper and quicker. Go figure.
Still undecided as I like my RE compact engine guards and hate to lose them. I've cracked a crankcase or two against a rock in my day; never a good time.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: April 13, 2021, 06:43:03 pm
Thanks - I contacted Zard and Hitchcocks - Hitchcocks was a little cheaper and quicker. Go figure.
Still undecided as I like my RE compact engine guards and hate to lose them. I've cracked a crankcase or two against a rock in my day; never a good time.
I considered the BAAK low pipes. They scream desert sled to me. Now they have a branch in Southern California. No idea the cost but if I hadn't gone with the Zard those would have been my choice. And you can keep the engine guards!

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #39 on: April 13, 2021, 06:57:57 pm
Thanks, I'll check it out!

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: April 13, 2021, 07:13:50 pm
Baak low pipes are gonna run you about $1,200 US. I know because I contemplated them for quite a while and pulled the trigger on them last week. I couldn’t justify the price until I could.

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
Reply #41 on: April 13, 2021, 07:58:11 pm
Baak low pipes are gonna run you about $1,200 US. I know because I contemplated them for quite a while and pulled the trigger on them last week. I couldn’t justify the price until I could.

Looking forward to pictures and details about the install.  I've been eyeing those for a long time but can't justify the price, yet.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #42 on: April 13, 2021, 08:24:10 pm
[/b]
+1
So when they arrive will you install them immediately or sleep with them for a while? ;)
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #43 on: April 13, 2021, 09:56:50 pm
Well boys, I guess that feller plumb bent over and BAAKED up.

No disrespect meant, if they're worth it to you that's all that really counts.  Be prepared for some nattering nabob to  shout that if you wanted expensive pipes YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A DIFFERENT BIKE ;)

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #44 on: April 13, 2021, 10:03:43 pm
Well boys, I guess that feller plumb bent over and BAAKED up.

No disrespect meant, if they're worth it to you that's all that really counts.  Be prepared for some nattering nabob to  shout that if you wanted expensive pipes YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A DIFFERENT BIKE ;)

Lol. Couldn’t care less what anyone thinks to be honest. I learned early on not to let people tell you how to spend your money. It’s one thing if you really can’t afford it, but at the moment, I’m fortunate enough to be able to. I was at the point where I was either gonna trade in my GT or sink some serious money into it. I chose the latter.