Author Topic: "Scramblerizing" my Interceptor  (Read 10277 times)

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: April 16, 2021, 02:06:57 am
Once.  I took off the right side cover, pulled off the tools and fixed the problem.  If I'd need to let the exhaust system cool down and somehow source tools to remove the pipes so I could get to my tools, I probably would have had to walk home and file an insurance claim on my motorcycle that was loaded into a pickup while I was walking to a place that had phone service.

I'll stick with prioritizing access to essential tools over installing poorly designed high pipes.  They could go on the left side if it were not for tradition.

No argument here but most of the iconic 60's and 70's scramblers like the CL Honda's TR6C and T100C Triumphs and a few others had their pipes mounted on the left. A few had one pipe on each side. So there's not much tradition to their thinking. I think the current trend of mounting them both on the right is because the guys building them are enamored with the "street tracker" look and don't realize the pipes are mounted on the right side of a dirt tracker to minimize damage in the event of a low side. Or maybe not. 8)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #61 on: April 16, 2021, 02:15:50 am
No argument here but most of the iconic 60's and 70's scramblers like the CL Honda's TR6C and T100C Triumphs and a few others had their pipes mounted on the left. A few had one pipe on each side. So there's not much tradition to their thinking. I think the current trend of mounting them both on the right is because the guys building them are enamored with the "street tracker" look and don't realize the pipes are mounted on the right side of a dirt tracker to minimize damage in the event of a low side. Or maybe not. 8)
The scramblers of my youth had them on the left. The flat track bikes all had them on the right. If they put the pipes on the left, someone would complain about battery access. Seriously, one Allen bolt is too much work? And "waiting for the pipes to cool"? These Zards run so cool I can grab the muffler with a gloved hand. Or wait five minutes for them to cool and use my bare hand. There is room under the seat for a few tools and if you're really that concerned there are all manner of tool pouches, including a fanny pack.  ::)

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #62 on: April 16, 2021, 02:19:16 am
I might prefer the pipes on the left (or on both sides) if I had a choice but it’s hard to find them on either side.
Seems like there’s enough Interceptors out there that there’d be more interest in building the pipes.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 02:24:34 am by biscot »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #63 on: April 16, 2021, 08:05:28 am
I think the down pipes running under the engine (like the old SL350) are a good idea. they keep the exhaust hardware out of the way and add some crush cushion if you happen to plonk down on a biggo inconveniently placed rock. Piping is an easier fix than cases. You're not going to be deliberately rock-hopping with a 650 anyway. A "mixing chamber" below the motor might allow you to run a single pipe and SuperTrapp out & away, saving some weight & bulk.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Fred Gassit

• Scooter
  • Interceptor 650, UK
Reply #64 on: April 16, 2021, 09:50:37 am
I suppose that's something to dislike if you're prone to disliking things. ;D
LOL! And once you dislike something, logic and reason no longer apply...
But that's the way of the internet for most of us I guess.  ;)

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: April 16, 2021, 01:18:04 pm
I think the down pipes running under the engine (like the old SL350) are a good idea. they keep the exhaust hardware out of the way and add some crush cushion if you happen to plonk down on a biggo inconveniently placed rock. Piping is an easier fix than cases. You're not going to be deliberately rock-hopping with a 650 anyway. A "mixing chamber" below the motor might allow you to run a single pipe and SuperTrapp out & away, saving some weight & bulk.

IMO the SL was best looking of the 350's. A set of pipes like tey used would look great on the Interceptor. or maybe a baffled TT style set up for the hooligan's.

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #66 on: April 16, 2021, 05:50:16 pm
What I'd love is a two-sided high-level exhaust with smallish silencers (what's a CAT?  :D) that could still accommodate the RE compact engine guards. I haven't seen anything like that available, but it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult for someone who did that sort of thing. I couldn't do the job myself but maybe I could find a custom builder who could do it. Maybe I could do some design work. Might even be a small market for it.
Anybody got a contact who might be interested?

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #67 on: April 16, 2021, 06:27:09 pm
What I'd love is a two-sided high-level exhaust with smallish silencers (what's a CAT?  :D) that could still accommodate the RE compact engine guards. I haven't seen anything like that available, but it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult for someone who did that sort of thing. I couldn't do the job myself but maybe I could find a custom builder who could do it. Maybe I could do some design work. Might even be a small market for it.
Anybody got a contact who might be interested?

I don't know these shops. Just a internet search but they could be a starting point. There is a company named, Cone Engineering which sells pre-bent stainless and wedge sections, etc for them to work from. If they don't do exhausts, they know who does.

1. Custom Cycles
    2515 N Lander St
    Boise, ID 83703

2. LEGENDARY CUSTOM CYCLES
    6305 N Black Cat Rd
 Meridian, ID 83646

3. Air Design Customs
    1519 Londoner Ave
    Boise, ID 83706

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #68 on: April 16, 2021, 06:29:45 pm
Thanks for the links. I'll check them out.
I've also started a new thread in case anyone's not following this one.

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #69 on: April 16, 2021, 11:48:16 pm
Might be less hassle to rig up a butane torch that intermittently fires up and fries your leg?  ;D

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #70 on: April 17, 2021, 01:50:44 am
No problem, I’ve already got plenty of scar tissue, doesn’t hurt anymore.

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #71 on: April 18, 2021, 10:53:21 pm
For what it's worth, I've had what could be called a sanity episode, and have decided not to pursue this project.
I like my bike the way it is, and really don't want to beat it up (or my body either) on the rocky roads around here.
Besides, if I decide I really want to play in the dirt, there's lots of used 250 dirt bikes around here that I could probably pick up for less than the cost of modding this one.
Some thanks may be due to Jack Straw for adding a bit of sanity to my thinking with his "Now What" thread. I think I've done enough mods to my Interceptor.  ;) ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:57:32 pm by biscot »

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #72 on: April 18, 2021, 10:57:57 pm
For what it's worth, I've had what could be called a sanity episode, and have decided not to pursue this project.
I like my bike the way it is, and really don't want to beat it up (or my body either) on the rocky roads around here.
Besides, if I decide I really want to play in the dirt, there's lots of used 250 dirt bikes around here that I could probably pick up for less than the cost of modding this one.
Some thanks may be due to Jack Straw for adding a bit of sanity to my thinking with his "Now What" thread. I think I've done enough mods to my Interceptor.  ;) ;)
+1 smart thinking

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #73 on: April 19, 2021, 12:03:39 am
For what it's worth, I've had what could be called a sanity episode, ....
Don't let your guard down. Sanity is a temporary condition.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #74 on: April 19, 2021, 12:06:05 am
Rarer and rarer these days, it seems.