Author Topic: "Scramblerizing" my Interceptor  (Read 10348 times)

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #45 on: April 13, 2021, 10:30:10 pm
+1

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #46 on: April 13, 2021, 10:39:20 pm
Well boys, I guess that feller plumb bent over and BAAKED up.

No disrespect meant, if they're worth it to you that's all that really counts.  Be prepared for some nattering nabob to  shout that if you wanted expensive pipes YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A DIFFERENT BIKE ;)

What other bike? An Interceptor with expensive pipes is still a cheap bike, with lots of other things going for it.
I have a friend with a Himalayan who said it was such a cheap bike he spent $4000 for mods. (Of course he has 6 other bikes, so who can argue.)

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #47 on: April 13, 2021, 10:42:26 pm
By the way, I misspoke (mistyped?). The baak exhaust is actually just under $1,000 US.

Breaker Express

• Grease Monkey
  • Ocoee, FL USA
Reply #48 on: April 13, 2021, 10:54:06 pm
Now they have a branch in Southern California.

I contacted them before I ordered my tail light kit and they only seem to work on bikes. I could not order parts to ship from there. Everything comes from France and you can have it delivered there to pick up or fitted.
Super nice people though.
2020 Baker Express

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #49 on: April 14, 2021, 05:48:20 pm
I'm especially interested in the Termignoni scrambler exhaust for the Interceptor (see NVDucati's post on the GT exhaust thread for a pic) - lets me keep my compact engine guards. I've written them, but don't have a lot of hope that they exist - I'll update when I hear.

Fred Gassit

• Scooter
  • Interceptor 650, UK
Reply #50 on: April 15, 2021, 12:57:03 pm
I love the look  of the TEC pipes. Too bad it's just a dream at this point.

Out of curiosity I contacted matt Milburn of TEC to ask if there was any chance the high level exhaust would reach production.
His response:
"I am afraid that project is cancelled.  We were not happy with the airflow or the fit against the bike of the high level exhaust.  So we have shelved it and it is very unlikely we will pick it up again."

GravyDavy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: April 15, 2021, 01:02:04 pm
One thing I really dislike about the high pipes I have seen is that they appear to block access to the right sidecover, including the seat release & toolkit.

Fred Gassit

• Scooter
  • Interceptor 650, UK
Reply #52 on: April 15, 2021, 01:29:55 pm
One thing I really dislike about the high pipes I have seen is that they appear to block access to the right sidecover, including the seat release & toolkit.
Sorry, but I'm afraid I don't get that. The seat release is easily relocated, and my toolkit is still in its sealed plastic bag!
Any work I do on the bike at home I use my own tools, and if something unfortunate happens out on the road, it's "3 years free breakdown cover" to the rescue,
Would have thought the full "desert sled" style theme mandates a much more comprehensive externally mounted toolbag as well.

GravyDavy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: April 15, 2021, 01:39:49 pm
Sorry, but I'm afraid I don't get that. The seat release is easily relocated, and my toolkit is still in its sealed plastic bag!
Any work I do on the bike at home I use my own tools, and if something unfortunate happens out on the road, it's "3 years free breakdown cover" to the rescue,
Would have thought the full "desert sled" style theme mandates a much more comprehensive externally mounted toolbag as well.

Everybody has their own set of conditions. Southwest Virginia has lots of fabulous twisty back roads with no cell phone reception whatsoever and no guarantee that another vehicle will stop to help before the heat death of the universe. I require quick, full access to all of my on-bike tools.

Fred Gassit

• Scooter
  • Interceptor 650, UK
Reply #54 on: April 15, 2021, 02:02:23 pm
Fair enough. How many times have you broken down on your Interceptor?

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
Reply #55 on: April 15, 2021, 04:49:01 pm
According to Baak their bobber exhaust comes in at 95db.  I love the look but that's a bit loud for my tastes, especially if I'm gonna be out all day  (I'd be using ear plugs either way.)    I'm very anxious to get your impressions once you've installed them.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: April 15, 2021, 05:39:14 pm

That would be exactly zero in 4K.  :o

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #57 on: April 15, 2021, 06:48:40 pm
Zero times in 11,000 miles, except for a flat tire just after I left the dealer after a tire change (don't get me started on that).
Still, I've had a few over the (many) years, on other bikes of course, but these days I'm not half-way 'round the world. It's all relative to what your adventure is. Any bike can break down eventually (generally at an inopportune time) for one reason or another - best to be prepared for whatever your situation is. (OK, I admit, I was a Boy Scout).
Still, I doubt that high pipes making access to the minimal tool kit in the right side more difficult is going to be a game changer.

GravyDavy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: April 16, 2021, 12:54:26 am

Once.  I took off the right side cover, pulled off the tools and fixed the problem.  If I'd need to let the exhaust system cool down and somehow source tools to remove the pipes so I could get to my tools, I probably would have had to walk home and file an insurance claim on my motorcycle that was loaded into a pickup while I was walking to a place that had phone service.

I'll stick with prioritizing access to essential tools over installing poorly designed high pipes.  They could go on the left side if it were not for tradition.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #59 on: April 16, 2021, 01:52:36 am
I moved my seat release to the left side. My Powertronic sits in the spot where the toolbag was. The right shock Allen bolt and one spring come off and the mufflers just slide right off. It might add 90 seconds to accessing the right side cover, depending on how handy you are with an Allen wrench. I suppose that's something to dislike if you're prone to disliking things. ;D